MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

War and histroy

Battle of Stalingrad:

Krushchev and Breshvev were there.

http://www.tipsimages.it/Photo/ShowI...=start&chcr=cr
    Last edited by oriental; 06-10-14 at 23:11.

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Mein Kampf:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Evil Leaders

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Enter Gorbachev:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

BBC Emperor Hirohita Biography:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Russian Revolution in colour:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Born in the USSR:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

BBC

The Fall of Singapore

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Battlefield Campaign in the Balkans:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Ottoman Empire War Machine:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

The Crimean War (1853-1856):

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

100 Years' War The Battle of Agincourt

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Ancient Chinese inventions:

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

BBC

Building Burma Death Railway (Movie The ridgeon the River Kwai)

Last edited by oriental; 08-10-14 at 23:12.

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Documentary The Bridge on the River Kwai

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Quote Originally Posted by oriental View Post
    BBC

The Fall of Singapore

My great grand uncle was an Aussie soldier stationed in Singapore when it fell in '42. He was sent to a Japanese POW camp, it was tye jungle, they lived in huts, suffered from tropical diseases and were fed rotten rice by the guards. My uncle survived but many of his mates unfortunately died.

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Did you see the Emperor Hirohito biography. He was the 'Dr. Mengela' of Japan. He conducted disease experiments on Chinese prisoners. He escaped the trial for a war criminal.

I must say BBC does produce first-class documentary.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-PF1975
    MtDNA haplogroup
    K1a9

Ethnic group
    Ashkenazi Jewish

Did you see the Emperor Hirohito biography. He was the 'Dr. Mengela' of Japan. He conducted disease experiments on Chinese prisoners. He escaped the trial for a war criminal.

I must say BBC does produce first-class documentary.
    Many Japanese war criminals unfortunately escaped justice. Indeed, when I visited my cousin in England 2 months ago there were always interesting high quality BBC documentaries in the evening. Just one reason not to leave the UK.

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Yes, for the Americans it was the Communists and not the Nazi or Japanese racists who were now the enemies. Later it would be the Jihadists. There is no end to it. It is really a game of who is the Top Dog. Same specie fights are usually about the pecking order. They kill each other over the harem, turf or food. When the apex predators are eliminated then the beta predators try to take over and they become the alpha as they succeed and grow bigger in body size. The mesopredators are chimpanzees, baboons, coyotes, etc. when man has succeeded in destroying the lions, tigers, wolves, bears, eagles, etc.

So the former ally Soviets become the dreaded Communists.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Yes, for the Americans it was the Communists and not the Nazi or Japanese racists who were now the enemies. Later it would be the Jihadists. There is no end to it. It is really a game of who is the Top Dog. Same specie fights are usually about the pecking order. They kill each other over the harem, turf or food. When the apex predators are eliminated then the beta predators try to take over and they become the alpha as they succeed and grow bigger in body size. The mesopredators are chimpanzees, baboons, coyotes, etc. when man has succeeded in destroying the lions, tigers, wolves, bears, eagles, etc.

So the former ally Soviets become the dreaded Communists.

I sometimes think that men have always loved war. There are some women (more than men would credit) who would be perfectly happy to have that y chromosome finally disappear and the species evolve so that we don't need men to procreate. I am not one of them, but some culling of the herd to remove the "rabid dogs" and stop them from spreading their mayhem and violence (and their genes) certainly seems like a good idea to me theoretically.

However, all wars and all sides in all wars are not morally equivalent, and to think so is to misread history,in my opinion.

In the case of American history, some more detailed reading would reveal to you that there has always been a pronounced isolationist strand in American political life. Whatever Roosevelt's personal feelings on the matter, the most he could do for Britain was send supplies. (Let's not get involved in conspiracy theories, please.) I personally think that was unfortunate, and that America should have gone to Britain's aide earlier. It was, in my opinion, a moral imperative to defeat Nazi Germany. However, America didn't get into the war until Pearl Harbor was bombed, because the American public did not want to get involved, neither in the Pacific nor in Europe. The Japanese made a severe miscalculation.

As for the Soviet Union, there was an unfortunate tendency among "leftist" intellectuals in Europe and the U.S. to romanticize Communism, and to refuse to see it as it really was. I'm not saying I don't understand why that was so...I come from an area that was highly Anarchist and Communist and I understand the reasons for their choices, especially when the other choice seemed to be fascism/Nazism. That doesn't change the fact that they were both, in my opinion, evil ideologies. The "fellow travelers" in the U.S. were willfully blind. My "pet hate" in that regard is Lillian Hellman, of whom Mary McCarthy once famously said, "Every word she writes is a lie, and that includes "a" and "the"...a brilliant woman, Mary McCarthy, and one of my heroines.

If you think that all American military and civilian leaders during War War II had similarly starry eyed views of the Communists you are mistaken. War makes for strange bedfellows. You have to pick your battles for the appropriate times. The disastrous decisions made at Yalta have more to do, I think, with Roosevelt's failing health than with any lack of clear sightedness about the designs of Joe Stalin, but that could be debated.

As for ISIS, we are dealing with the modern equivalent of Nazism. I cannot believe that anyone could see it as anything other than unadulterated evil. The west, will, in my opinion, rue the day that they allowed them to get this much power and territory.

Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

I think you take it too personally. I am saying there is 'pecking order' mechanism at work. Look at all herbivores and even predators like lions. Rams and deer will fight to the death during rut season thus in the wild big horns are natural. Lions and elephants vie for supremacy at the "grassy bedroom" for not one but all the females in the herd. Men are no different. They all animals but with bigger brains so they are more cunning. Chimpanzees our ancestors also engage in this kind of behavior. May be this is how species are formed. The situation I am projecting in politics is that the top dog likes the monopoly of power whether in a family, a tribe, nation, empire or league of nations. No matter what the country it will try to dominate till it weakens and another ascend in its place. Nothing lasts forever.

Ethnic group
    Italian

Yes, I have this bad habit of taking rape, sexual slavery, beheadings, crucifixions, the mass slaughter of unarmed men and women, and the killing of babies both seriously and personally.

If I really believed that men are hard wired this way, I would regretfully support either massive genetic engineering, or figuring out a way to procreate without you guys....

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

Yes, I have this bad habit of taking rape, sexual slavery, beheadings, crucifixions, the mass slaughter of unarmed men and women, and the killing of babies both seriously and personally.

If I really believed that men are hard wired this way, I would regretfully support either massive genetic engineering, or figuring out a way to procreate without you guys....
    Your comments raised a lot of issues and I sort of have some sort of answer which may not satisfy you.

· Man’s life is no cakewalk either. He has to join the the war and in peace time hunt for game, work the fields or look after herd or mind the sheep.

· Hunting skills certainly helped in learning to kill.

· Protecting herd also helped in learning to kill with arrow or spear.

· We seem to think that pastoralism, horses (chariots or mounted archers, sword and archer weaponry may have advanced empire creation. These activities may have led to patriarchal system as women often died at child birth so women were scarce in the steppes.

· Empire building in Central and South America was runner-based.

· The interpretation of celestial events as doings of the gods brought a lot of fear to the Aztecs and Incas. A good harvest was attributed to a god who was sacrificed to with human blood. At first it was the royals who probably sacrificed their babies then changed to members of the tribe to prisoners and then to other tribes. They went on raids to capture sacrificial victims. The Spaniards brought this to an end.

· Human sacrifice was a common feature in early human civilization. It was practised in the Middle East. The statue of the god Moloch had a huge mouth and victims were shoved into the mouth. The interior of the mouth has a huge fire burning. Human sacrifice was practised by the Sadhus in India not too long ago.

· Horse or equine mastery in Arabia 9,000 years ago or Kazakhstan 5,000 years ago may be the origin of horse culture. The first historical empires were in the Middle East with Sargon. The story is that he usurped the existing royal line.

· Shepherding in marginal grasslands led to desertification in Middle East and Central Asia.

· Junkyard dogs are the meanest.

· Nomads and shepherds if they couldn’t trade their meat or hides often resorted to violence with robbery and violent raids against settlements.

· Hunter gatherers were reportedly matriarchal which is possible. Among the herbivores horses are matriarchal. It is the ones with horns like goats, deer, buffalo that battle each other for their harem. Male horses are same as the female horses unless you look below.

Rape, sexual slavery, , crucifixions, and the killing of babies - Ancient crimes.

Beheadings - French Revolutions Monarchy and Aristocrats enjoying life while people could not get bread just like the Russian Revolution

Mass slaughter of unarmed men and women – Alexander the Great mass slaughter of the citizens of Thebes to show Greek cities not to resist, Julius Caesar mass slaughter of Druids as they were the instigators of war being the learned ones both priest and warriors, Genghis Khan mass slaughter of Khwarezm cities in vengeance for the Khwarezm Governor showing disrespect and murder of Genghis Khan’s ambassadors and to instil fear.

Hermaphrodite worms with both sex organs battle each other to impregnate the other. It seems to enjoy impregnating but not being impregnated. It is inefficient and doesn't seem to benefit the species so it has been limited in its role in the animal world. Creatures with defined sex roles gained the upper hand as less time and effort were wasted reproducing. Sexually specialized i.e. (male/female) animals dominate the world.

Human foetuses have the rudiments of both sex organs. The Y chromosome, I think, suppresses the development of ovaries and vagina while the presence of XX chromosomes suppress the development of the testes and penis. I can see the formative structure of the testes could have been developed into the ovaries with the XX chromosomes. The clitoris is actually a mini penis. I have seen pictures of hermaphrodites with breasts and penises perhaps they have XXY chromosomes or somehow their DNA is screwed up. But that is to be expected as evolution starts with accidental or environmental adaptive change in the DNA.

Reptiles seem to be unusual. Crocodile's sex seem to determined by water temperature as it grows. I don't know too much about them.

Men are hard wired this way - Violence origin is unknown. In the insect world it is the females which are the aggressors. The drones die off after they mate with the queen. The dinosaurs' fiercest and largest members were females e. g. Sue in the Chicago Museum is a 40-foot female Tyrannosaurus Rex. It is the female lions that do all the hunting.

Genetics is at its infancy and anyone who had done programming knows how a little mistakes produce innumerable errors down the line.

Look at the numbers. ACGT instead of 0 and 1.

Byte = 0000, 0001, 0011, 0111
    1111, 1000, 1100, 1110

1001, 1101, 1011, 0110

1010, 0110, 0011, 0101

Byte of two bits of 0 and 1= 2^4 = 16 permutations.

Four bases ACGT form our DNA byte.
    Gene = tens of thousands of ACGT bytes with various combinations.

The numbers are overwhelming. Even supercomputers cannot handle them.
    Last edited by oriental; 16-10-14 at 21:50.

Curious

Y-DNA haplogroup
    Not known - O3?
    MtDNA haplogroup
    Not known - M?

Ethnic group
    Chinese

General Heinz Guderian was the architect of the Blitzkrieg. Before tanks were lined up with infantry line cannons in support of infantry charges. It was Guderian who decided to actually have tanks do the charging. His strategy was to find a weakness in the defense line and attack it. Bombing the weak spot was even better. Once the tanks broke through the tanks outflanked the defenses and they were on their way to victory. The tanks with their armor were almost invulnerable to gunfire from rifles.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast