Ebola

All good points, Angela, but I'm concerned about the statements made by the director of the CDC suggesting that medical staff treating Ebola patients were able to leave the treatment area without passing through a decontamination chamber. If that's correct, I imagine that city is now a vector for Ebola, and it really is time to panic.

It's even worse than that. I'm just watching Sanjay Gupta on CNN. The second nurse to have come down with Ebola took a plane from Dallas to Cleveland (and back?) the day before she was diagnosed with Ebola and put in isolation. According to Dr. Gupta plane travel by someone who has been in contact with a known Ebola patient is against the protocols. (Here we go again.) Whether she knew of the protocol against travel or not, she did it, and I don't know of any law that could have prevented her.

It only remains to be said that she was running a temp when she traveled. Granted, she only had a 99.5 fever and you get put in isolation with a 100.4 fever, but since the Index patient who died was only running a 100.3 fever, I am not consoled.

Ed. I think we have to keep in mind that so far in the U.S. the only people to have come down with it are nurses who had to deal with a patient who was vomiting and evacuating. That wouldn't apply to this travel situation.

However, everybody better start bringing their "A" game.

supposedly the virus does not survive well in cold temperatures, hence these outbreaks originate mostly from equatorial Africa. So Canada has the better location this time...

supposedly the virus does not survive well in cold temperatures, hence these outbreaks originate mostly from equatorial Africa. So Canada has the better location this time...

Considering that the rate with which Ebola is spreading in Africa continues to increase, I'm sure it will still be around to invade Canada next year, during the heat of summer. But right now I suggest that we all pray to the weather gods that it stays fairly cool this fall.

There is problem when it comes to things like ebola or similar.

Pharmaceutical companies interested in business and they don't want invest in R&D where they don't see profit.

Capitalism has its imperfections and can never remove them.

Therefore it is needed responsible government.

Only government can funded projects which are not profitable but necessary for society, key of success for fight against ebola and similar is government with funds for science, research, development, prevention and curing, of course pharmaceutical companies are necessary as many another including stakeholders, but the role of government is essential.

All the EMT (Emergency Medical Personnel) people in my area had to undergo mandatory training this weekend to learn how to put on and take off protective gear for situations where they might have to stabilize and transport Ebola patients to the hospital. That included volunteer EMT as well. Some of them are freaking out a bit. I hope they don't get too many hysterical people who just have a stomach flu.

Welcome to the new normal.

Ed. Oh, I'm really proud of how DiBlasio, Cuomo and Christie, (the Mayor of New York City, the Governor of New York State, and the Governor of New Jersey) in the absence of any national guidance took the situation firmly in hand and not only got this doctor moved and treated without flubs of the Texas variety, but also imposed a 21 day isolation period on any one coming from West Africa who has been working with or in contact with Ebola patients.

:( It was such a bad days when I came up to know about the Ebola effected persons and most of the effected persons came to dead end. There was also some conspiracies about this deadliest disease.

What I newly red stated Ebola has been over-covered by media (some "labos" hidden campaign?) considering it very low umpact compared to endemic plagues in Africa killing very very more people every year - and the action of developped countries would have been very expansive when considering effective results - I've not the means to veirfy that...

The disease is very serious. At the same time, it's clear that with the right treatment, some people can and do recover. The problem is that the U.S., for example, doesn't have the kind of facilities required to treat large numbers of Ebola patients. I don't think they can care for more than a dozen or so at a time and it is incredibly expensive.

What also became clear from the mess they made of it in Texas is that in many hospitals the protocols were not set up and the staff were not properly trained, which doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Thankfully, New York, as usual, did a much better job. Still, as I said, they don't have the facilities to care for more than a few at a time.

Given how common and fast international travel is today, I'm surprised that Ebola has so seldom appeared outside Africa so far. Imagine what it could do if it had a chance to spread in a large Indian or Chinese city.

Given how common and fast international travel is today, I'm surprised that Ebola has so seldom appeared outside Africa so far. Imagine what it could do if it had a chance to spread in a large Indian or Chinese city.

I think some of the countries "in the neighborhood" have been remarkably committed to containment, i.e. closing the borders that are contiguous to the most affected areas.

This thread has been viewed 20974 times.

Back