What music are you listening to?

The Rankin Family - Gaelic Medley

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nnVxTj_Ujw

This is new to me Aberdeen. Very nice. Do you understand Gaelic?

The Canadian Rap isn't coming up for me. I do have a bit of a liking for some Rap, despite all the cursing. Maybe it's because I've been a captive audience in the car! LOL Some of Eminem is god. I used to hear a lot of LL Kool J too. At least he didn't talk about beating up women and doing drugs; it was all about his prowess with the ladies.

No, I don't speak any Gaelic - the Ontario educational system managed to wipe it out in past generations. It's still spoken in the Cape Breton area of Nova Scotia, which is where the Rankins are from. Most of the songs they recorded are in English, in order to reach a wider audience. But I like listening to the language of my ancestors, even though I don't understand it. Other artists from Cape Briton who've recorded in both English and Gaelic are Mary Jane Lamont and Wendy MacIssacs.

Last edited:

The Canadian Rap isn't coming up for me. I do have a bit of a liking for some Rap, despite all the cursing. Maybe it's because I've been a captive audience in the car! LOL Some of Eminem is god. I used to hear a lot of LL Kool J too. At least he didn't talk about beating up women and doing drugs; it was all about his prowess with the ladies.

I think I've fixed the glitch in the Canadian rap music url. If you still can't open it, just go to Youtube and do a search for a song called "Out For A Rip". You may not like the language, but you have to see the video if you've never watched people dancing with chainsaws before. Of course, you'd probably have to live in rural Ontario or some similar place in order to understand the iconic role of chainsaws in the lives of people who still partly depend on wood stoves for heat in a cold climate.

@maleth

I see you like Vangelis,

hear this

vangelis is the keyboards player,

when Vangelis was young

:startled: Oh how different his style was!, more typical of the 70's. I guess he found himself (with Jon) with his particular style in the Electro era. Yes I liked Jon and Vangelis very much, and find the music very therapeutic and relaxing. Donna summer sang a cover version which I like too 'State of Independence'. :giggle:

:startled: Oh how different his style was!, more typical of the 70's. I guess he found himself (with Jon) with his particular style in the Electro era. Yes I liked Jon and Vangelis very much, and find the music very therapeutic and relaxing. Donna summer sang a cover version which I like too 'State of Independence'. :giggle:

have you heard mythodeia?
it was transmited live to planet Mars

watch the lyrics :giggle:

have you heard mythodeia?
it was transmited live to planet Mars

watch the lyrics :giggle:

Love it, there were no Lyrics tho I will check them out. Show must have been spectacular. :confused: never heard it before. Is that the temple of Zeus on the background? I was there just 2 weeks ago :)

Aberdeen: I think I've fixed the glitch in the Canadian rap music url. If you still can't open it, just go to Youtube and do a search for a song called "Out For A Rip". You may not like the language, but you have to see the video if you've never watched people dancing with chainsaws before. Of course, you'd probably have to live in rural Ontario or some similar place in order to understand the iconic role of chainsaws in the lives of people who still partly depend on wood stoves for heat in a cold climate.

It did open up. I never saw anyone dance with a chainsaw before, but I've certainly seen a lot of men using them, yes. :) Rural New England doesn't look all that different from rural Ontario.

My father and uncles bought a lot of wooded ex-farmland when they retired. I think they were trying to get back in touch with their Apennines roots. :)That in combination with the legendary frugality of that region in Italy meant they all put in those furnaces that use both wood and oil. I can't tell you how much time they spent cutting down trees and stocking firewood. Lots of hunting too, until my mom put a stop to it on family owned land. She and I put out a salt lick for the does and fawns. :)

Sometimes chants can be quite moving.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgYEuJ5u1K0

Tsk, Tsk! Whenever I speak to someone who will be in Tuscany, I always recommend that they go listen to the monks at the Abbazia di Sant'Antimo. They're not the most accomplished, but the landscape and the Abbey, combined with the music, makes for a lovely experience...even for non-believers. At least, I've never gotten any complaints.

That said, the Monty Python clip is very funny. :) I love their stuff. I love John Cleese, in particular.

Tsk, Tsk! Whenever I speak to someone who will be in Tuscany, I always recommend that they go listen to the monks at the Abbazia di Sant'Antimo. They're not the most accomplished, but the landscape and the Abbey, combined with the music, makes for a lovely experience...even for non-believers. At least, I've never gotten any complaints.

I went through a short phase of listening to Gregorian chants for relaxation purposes, absolutely magical, more and more in the setting you are describing. On the other hand as much as i can listen to electro pop I simply cannot listen to the group Gregorian, although talented and very popular, it kind of spoils the charm from the original Gregorian style. :unsure:

So beautiful!..

I went through a short phase of listening to Gregorian chants for relaxation purposes, absolutely magical, more and more in the setting you are describing. On the other hand as much as i can listen to electro pop I simply cannot listen to the group Gregorian, although talented and very popular, it kind of spoils the charm from the original Gregorian style. :unsure:

Silly me, I didn't post the video:

This thread has been viewed 1187685 times.

Back