What music are you listening to?

Miss you like crazy
:grin:

God Speed :) ...

Last edited:
"Hold my hand at sunset,
when the light of day goes out and darkness slips his cloth of stars.
Keep it tight, when I can not live this imperfect world."

Jota Quest - A pop/rock band of Belo Horizonte, in a Show in Belo Horizonte. I was there. Lyrics subtitled in English. Good Times.

Skank - Another pop/rock band of Belo Horizonte, in a Show in Mineirão Stadium, in Belo Horizonte.

... Covid-19, bad cops and Riots, ... I’m better off in Quarantine ... :petrified:

... Covid-19, bad cops and Riots, ... I’m better off in Quarantine ... :petrified:

As I said on another thread, one should never be surprised by the stupidity and sometimes the recklessness, and even the evil of one's fellow human beings.

It does get freaking wearing dealing with it, though, let me tell you. I used to come home sometimes and feel I needed to take a shower immediately. It's why I switched specialities for a more boring one. At least I didn't have to look at that damn dark underbelly of human behavior every day.

This isn't what I would choose to listen to, however. :)

Anyway, I don't need a gun for protection really: my beloved dog will tear the throat out of any unknown man who comes within ten feet of me. It's a bit of a problem. I left a window wide open and the landscaper walked past with a leaf blower. My dog was half way out the window before I yanked him back in. He stopped slavering, and the ridge of fur on his back went down, but he came over and sat on my chest and barked until the guy was gone. He wasn't taking any chances. I absolutely will NEVER be robbed or home invaded. :)

Soon celebrating "uncle" Clint...

Stuvane: Well done and great choice with Clint. Leone's Spaghetti Westerns were and still are my favorites, The score's my Morriconne, Duel in "For a few Dollars more" and "Ecstasy of Gold" two of the greatest scores of all time. Of course Ecstasy of Gold leads to "The Final duel" in The Good, Bad and Ugly.

Duel: From a Few Dollars More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ

Ecstasy of Gold from the Good the Bad and the Ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg

The Final Duel from Good the bad and Ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCSNIl2Pls

Leone and Morriconne teamed up for Once upon a time in the West as well, while It did not have Clint (young Charles Bronson), it did have Claudia Cardinale!!!

Live - Skank - Belo Horizonte - Mineirão Stadium empty - right now.

This video of "Fai Rumore" or "Make Noise" by Diodato, sung by him in the empty arena in Verona just came across my feed. I had chills and goosebumps all through it.

I already liked it for his voice, the sensitive and emotional lyrics, the equally sensitive and emotional performance, etc., but to hear it in the middle of the the Covid Crisis, in that empty, dark and then suddenly illuminated arena, well, it's a tour de force imo, "the" song for this period of our history.

He couldn't have known, of course, about Covid, about what would happen in Italy, to the people living there, to the people living in Europe and all around the world, but it's as if fate intervened. His loneliness, his sense of isolation, his pain and overpowering sense of loss, his feeling of not being able to support it any longer, and his yearning for the "noise" signifying the presence of another transforms into the feelings of many of us at this insupportable distance between us and other human beings.

"I can't bear this unnatural silence between you and me...I don't want to do without that beautiful noise that you make."

In the unbearable, unending silence of our cities, yes, we can come to miss even all the sometimes unpleasant and distracting sounds of modern urban life, because they signal the presence of humanity.

Just outstanding.

I love his face as well; if I find out he's not as sensitive and kind and sweet and vulnerable as his face would lead me to believe I'm going to be upset. :)

Last edited:
Stuvane: Well done and great choice with Clint. Leone's Spaghetti Westerns were and still are my favorites, The score's my Morriconne, Duel in "For a few Dollars more" and "Ecstasy of Gold" two of the greatest scores of all time. Of course Ecstasy of Gold leads to "The Final duel" in The Good, Bad and Ugly.

Duel: From a Few Dollars More

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JPnR7C8mZQ

Ecstasy of Gold from the Good the Bad and the Ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubVc2MQwMkg

The Final Duel from Good the bad and Ugly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJCSNIl2Pls

Leone and Morriconne teamed up for Once upon a time in the West as well, while It did not have Clint (young Charles Bronson), it did have Claudia Cardinale!!!

I agree, Palermo Trapani :)

There are some elements that explain the extraordinary effectiveness of Morricone's music:

1) Meanwhile, the extraordinary partnership between him and Sergio Leone. Perhaps not everyone knows that they knew each other and were friends since childhood, from school years. I think they almost read each other in thought and managed to anticipate their intentions. Having a mutual "feeling" is no small advantage when two heads combine to create something

2) the timing and the perfect synergy between images and music: in these masterpieces often the musical composition is born first (which can and must remain "autonomous"), while it is the images that "comment" the first, not the reverse. This was the case when filming the "Ecstasy of gold" sequence, when Tuco runs spasmodically between the graves of the cemetery in search of the hidden treasure. Leone, his troupe and Eli Wallach created the scene by listening to the relative piece of music that Morricone had already composed. In essence, the composer received only a few basic indications on the scene, but then he had carte blanche in the drafting of the music and Leone adapted the film accordingly. This is one of the reasons that also explain the "dilated" times of the films of Leone, in order to unfold fully the music.

3) Morricone's orchestration and arrangement technique made school, after him nothing was more the same than before. The skilful combination (and deliberate contamination) of "cultured" musical ensembles (symphonic orchestra, piano, organ ... choirs and solo voices, depersonalized, however, used as instruments, with almost metaphysical connotations) with more popular traditions and musical genres or recent or well-defined in an ethnic / exotic sense (classic and flamenco guitars, electric guitars, harmonica, zufoli, ocarinas, recorders, Jew's harps, honky tonk pianos, drums, various percussion instruments, whistles ...) and everything to generate magniloquent or sarcastic and grotesque effects. Obviously the choice is always prudent, nothing is given to chance and Morricone, a pupil of Goffredo Petrassi, and graduated not only in composition, but also in trumpet and band instrumentation, knows how to exploit the corroded tone of the trumpets and brasses to evoke military and violent atmospheres. He also uses the guitar to arouse sensuality, intimacy, anticipation, mystery or wink at the Hispanic-American tradition and the world of vaqueros, forefathers of cow-boys.

4 Last, but not least, the compositional technique. And here we understand that behind it there is a very solid academic music study and a lot of craft. Beyond the ingenious themes conceived, Morricone in his western soundtracks (especially those of the "Dollar Trilogy") takes up some tonal and harmonic elements that would have their roots in the ancient, gregorian and celtic musical tradition, that is, some modal scales , which to the modern and western ear, induce the idea of ​​something suspended, archaic, indefinite. In Spaghetti westerns there are often Doric or Aeolian scales (minor scales at which the sixth degree is raised by a semitone, not the seventh as would be the practice with the minor harmonic scale). Or he omits that degree entirely, transforming it into a minor hexatonic scale. The effect is alienating, grandiose, even a little barbaric, it creates what I call a "Hispanidad" or "conquistadores" atmosphere, a bit Visigothic / Mozarabic.
Where instead the intimate, elegiac dimension imbued with melancholy and nostalgia (the main themes of "Once upon a time in the West" or "Duck, you ******!") Must prevail, Morricone becomes more traditional and classic, closer to the Western cultured music (descending phrases and harmonies that almost accompany the listener by the hand, wise use of the joint degrees in harmonic concatenations as required by organ and choral compositional practices, but also a clever use of the pedal point and / or harmonic revolts, suspensions or retardations, with which the listener is gradually "accustomed" to recognizing the theme that will then develop, or to anticipate it mentally).

A genius, period ;)

Stuvane:

Well written post. Leone's Western Genre, "The Spaghetti Westerns" were in fact much more realistic than most of the American Westerns that came before it, save maybe 1 movie, John Ford's The Searchers with John Wayne, young Natalie Wood, etc, which is among the great films in my view in the history of American film. I remember taking a film course in college and the Professor to his credit focused on the American Western Genre (among others) as he was as a big fan of Sam Peckinpah, and it sort of opened my eyes to analyzing film more deeply. Leon'e movies the Good, well he is not so good, he kills just like Tuco, the Ugly, and Angel Eyes the Bad. It in actuality is sort of "Grey". John Wayne's Ethan Character is probably the first film that really made the lead star Wayne a grey character, complex, not just the clean cut guy with the White hat riding into town to get the bad guys. The entire movie Wayne's character "Ethan" is planning on killing Natalie Wood's character (Little Debbie) and his entire quest is not rooted in justice and morality but revenge and only at the end when he lifts her up does he sort of come back to a sense of morality and justice. Complex movie with complex characters.

Leone's film even when you root for Clint Eastwood, as I did in all 3 movies "Fist full of Dollars", "Few dollars more" and "The Good, the Bad and The Ugly"you never really know his backstory, there is some honor in his character, but he is never clearly "Good" always sort of Grey. I think Clint took that basic character backstory from Leone's movies and he used it in later 70's and 80's Westerns like High Plains Drifter, Pale Rider..
etc.

Girotondo (ring around the rosie?)

How does Wyoming or Montana sound to you? :)

... maybe safer, but as a rule I like living no more than an hour from the sea (it’s a thing I have, ... lol), besides that’s not where the Action is :)

and civilization collapse,

the photos are from Athens 2008

charleston, south carolina (cnn):
president barack obama delivered a touching eulogy, a rousing political speech and a thoughtful meditation on race in america when he traveled to charleston, south carolina on friday to speak at the funeral of the rev. clementa pinckney, who was gunned down last week by a racist terrorist during bible study. but the president's speech will be remembered for a moment at the end when he launched into a solo of "amazing grace," that at first stunned the mourners and then brought them to their feet as they joined him in song. photos: remembering sen. clementa pinckney "as a nation, out of this terrible tragedy, god has visited grace upon us for he has allowed us to see where we've been blind," obama said. "he's given us the chance, where we've been lost, to find our best selves."
5ed1c5b8aee6a843404897c4

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 1189384 times.

Back