What music are you listening to?

I've been a jazz collector for years so I'm typically listening to post bop pianists like Herbie Nichols, T. Monk, Bill Evans, Red Garland, Horace Parlan, Carl Perkins, or Sax players like Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, Harold Land, or someone like Pharoah Sanders.

I've been a jazz collector for years so I'm typically listening to post bop pianists like Herbie Nichols, T. Monk, Bill Evans, Red Garland, Horace Parlan, Carl Perkins, or Sax players like Art Pepper, Sonny Rollins, Harold Land, or someone like Pharoah Sanders.

Now, "that's" music. :)

It's been used for I don't know how many commercials, and it makes an appearance in the animated movie LUCA, but English speakers have no idea what she's singing:

Pizzica di San Marzano (an Arbereshe (Albania) Community of Salento

Pizzica di San Vito (dei Normanni - of the Normans) Salento

Kalinifta (Kalinifta) in Griko (Grecía Salentina)

Messapia: below: Pizzica Salentina - above: from San Marzano (Shën Marcani) Arbëreshë community of Salento, San Vito of the Normans, and Grecía Salentina :)

Messapia: below: Pizzica Salentina - above: from San Marzano (Shën Marcani) Arbëreshë community of Salento, San Vito of the Normans, and Grecía Salentina :)

The second and third selections were new to me. Very, very, nice. As time goes on the productions are more professional and at the same time showcase more clearly the elemental nature of the music and dance, which is what so enthralls me. It's as if you're watching the Maenads sing and dance.

Amazing how this has been lost in Greece but remains in southern Italy.

As for me I'm still on my MINA yearly obsession. Grande, Grande, Grande, is one of my favorites, but almost an impossibility to translate into English because the Italian words have such different connotations, and also because of the cultural context.

I have to fight with you
one cannot take you the way you are
you have so many defects
that even you can’t name them all.

You’re worse than a naughty child,
you always want to have it your way
you’re the most arrogant and egotistical man
I’ve ever met.

But what’s good about you is that at the right time
you can change completely
in a moment you can
be wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and I
forget all my troubles.

I see all of my friends,
they seem more relaxed than me
they don’t need to fight over every little thing
the way you make me do,
they receive gifts and red roses
for their birthdays,
they always say yes
never have any problem and are convinced
that life is like that.

But no, but no
life is what you give me,
in this war everyday I feel alive,
I feel alive
I am the way you like me.
I hate you, but I love you, but I love you, but I hate you
but I love you,
do not ever leave me again
you’re wonderful, wonderful, wonderful
there’s no one as wonderful as you.

I hate you, but I love you, but I love you, but I hate you but I love you,
do not ever leave me again
you’re wonderful, wonderful, wonderful,

Don't ever leave me again
you’re wonderful, wonderful, wonderful,

Nothing can beat Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. The cinematography, music, setting was stunning.

The next post like this from you and you're out of here.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been on repeat all night. Beautiful song, beautiful performance, beautiful, sensitive man. Not all change is for the better.

This has been on repeat all night. Beautiful song, beautiful performance, beautiful, sensitive man. Not all change is for the better.

Don't know what happened to my video. I'll try again.

English subtitles:

This thread has been viewed 1189396 times.

Back