What music are you listening to?

Angela: I view lots of music from the 1970's on youtube and I notice in comments that many people in their 20's and 30's, instinctively and immediately realize the the depth of the lyrics, the ability to play instruments and the fact that those bands or solo acts, could actually sing.

Absolutely true. It was still actual music into the 80s, but after that everything went downhill.

Younger people are shocked, as you say, that people know how to play instruments, and that singers didn't used to need auto-tune. That's one reason why I'm so obsessed with our new Italian rock band. They're better live than recorded. Also, it gives me hope that, as Damiano said when they won Eurovision: Rock Will Never Die. :)

New album

Absolutely true. It was still actual music into the 80s, but after that everything went downhill.

Younger people are shocked, as you say, that people know how to play instruments, and that singers didn't used to need auto-tune. That's one reason why I'm so obsessed with our new Italian rock band. They're better live than recorded. Also, it gives me hope that, as Damiano said when they won Eurovision: Rock Will Never Die. :)

Yes, I finished HS in the early 1980's, lots of good bands then that I liked, some sort of where alternative rock type bands from the late 1970's that got more popular in the early 1980's, B-52's, The Pretenders, Blondie, The Ramones, The Clash, and some acts that are pure 1980's from mid to the later part of the decade (i.e., Bon Jovi). Of course, some were established bands or some solo acts who use to be in Bands (i.e. Stevie Nicks of Fleetwood Mac, Paul McCartney leaving Wings) that were still dong well into the 1980's.

In the 1990's, only a few acts to me have stood the test of time, such as Alanis Morrissette and Natalie Merchant (i.e. Mercante) but it sort of was the "The Last Picture Show" to use a movie analogy of music.

Angela/Duarte: In some music thread earlier this year, Home Free was a topic of discussion (one of the few modern bands out there that I personally like). Anyway, they just released their version of the Patsy Cline "Crazy". Really good, sang it in a similar key as the late Patsy Cline.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD17NnmqHuQ

Very much enjoying eastern ethnic music during these hot days. Budha Bar Nostalgia.
watch

Angela/Duarte: In some music thread earlier this year, Home Free was a topic of discussion (one of the few modern bands out there that I personally like). Anyway, they just released their version of the Patsy Cline "Crazy". Really good, sang it in a similar key as the late Patsy Cline.

Cheers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD17NnmqHuQ

I think it may be his best cover. It's a great key for him, and he did Patsy proud. :)

Why does il slang Napolitano slap so hard?

watch

Diodato … (the 2020 Sanremo WINNER)
Bedd(r)ha ci Dormi … in Leccese :)

See 0.10.20 onwards - Beatles in Concert - Ouro Preto Symphonic Orchestra - The Ouro Preto City Symphonic Orchestra interprets Beatles classics in a baroque Church in Sabará, Metropolitan Region of Belo Horizonte.

I've found a new music and band to obsess on...It's sung in Ladino, the Sephardic dialect of Spanish used by Sephardic Jews. I think the band
is made up of descendants of Sephardic Jews who settled in Turkey after their expulsion. I adore them.

watch

Just love the Balkan instruments + Eastern vibe.

… some highlights:

Albano in Leccese (… though he’s Salentino), Il Volo in Griko - Kalinifta, Madame in Leccese - Mannaggia la marea, …

This thread has been viewed 1189364 times.

Back