The Franks,France and other things about Franks

mihaitzateo

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Romanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
proly R1B
I was quite amazed when I heard about Franks.
Who were Franks?
A Germanic tribe,who came and conquered France and gave the name for this country.
This is very very short information,I hope others will come with lots more information about this Germanic tribe.

there were Franks on both sides of the Rhine - the Roman had allowed some Frank tribes to settle within the empire, while some other tribes stayed on the other side (northeast) of the Rhine

when the western Roman empire collapsed more Franks crossed the Rhine
where they moved further south into France they became a ruling minority just like the Visigoths and the Vandals inside the territory of the former Roman empire

there is a theory that the Franks could always recruit fresh warriors from their homeland - north of the Rhine
that would explain the permanent succes of the Franks, while other Germanic tribes finally got overwhelmed by other people

Well I heard a theory that Franks pushed the Angles and the Saxons and determined them to move in Britain.
And that Franks would be some kind of more Eastern Germans,from the speakers of West Germanic.

Well I heard a theory that Franks pushed the Angles and the Saxons and determined them to move in Britain.
And that Franks would be some kind of more Eastern Germans,from the speakers of West Germanic.

from the little I know, they would have been a regrouping of old germanic tribes of Northwest (the Alamans, "all-men"? would have been the same), so not too different from other northwestern Germanics - they surely carried an heavyt Y-R1b-U106 element - but it appears they took with them some Celts or celticized people South the Rhine mouth (Belgae territories) -
their anthropologic mix show less high stature than Anglo-saxons of the time, and for crania a mean between these Anglo-Saxons and the "famous" Kymric or Iron-Age nordic type of Celts (Coon) - No surprise! their first ethnic settlements in the previous ROman Empire are for the most in Belgium, North and East France, and even there, very uneven according to places -
let's wait for more informed posts

Well a nice article on Eupedia about Franks:
http://www.eupedia.com/europe/frankish_influence_modern_europe.shtml
Thanks to Maciamo or to what admin published this article.

thanks

just concerning France, it seems that at some time the denser settlements (placenames) were in North-Lorraine(Lotharingen) around the sources of the Meuse/Maas river (Moselle and Meuse departements) and North to Paris (Oise + NW Aisne departements) -
some other dense zones: Somme departement and the other parts of Lorraine - as a whole, the "boundaries" of their largerst territories are from Normandy tp Jura, through Orleans region and in North until their limits with other germanic people which are uneasy to precise -( close languages) - Wallonia HAD LESS THAN THE DENSER REGIONS OF fRANCE, apparently (it confirms paertially anthropology) -
but this is based upon the frequency of '-court' names typical of a certain period only so...
some germanic placenames in '-ingas' show their fortified settlements (warriors) at their borders: in Flanders, South the Limburg, East Walloonia to N-E Lorraine + a southern border on the Loire river and in N-Jura (Doubs departement) close to Switzerland -

This thread has been viewed 4689 times.

Back