Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Photos of the Maltese people.

Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 124
    Overall activity: 1.0%

In Sicily there is a higher frequency of lighter eyes in Palermo and inland regions (Enna and whereabouts), and people from the southern coast, Trapani, and Messina are darker and have a greater likelihood of having "exotic" influences. That's the difference I'd expect, but overall it'd be minor.

Also the eastern coast would have a lot of people who look classically Greek.

Elite member Achievements:
    OverdriveThree Friends5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 253
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

In the Nebrodi mountains (never conquered by arabs btw) the frequency of light eyes is surprising high (i have seen that personally) especially in Montalbano Elicona and Mistretta but also in the cities were the lombard dialect is preserved like Novara di Sicilia and San Fratello.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

However Maleth what do you mean with this difference between agrarian and harbour area?i'm curious to that.

Level

Quote Originally Posted by Hauteville View Post
    In the Nebrodi mountains (never conquered by arabs btw) the frequency of light eyes is surprising high (i have seen that personally) especially in Montalbano Elicona and Mistretta but also in the cities were the lombard dialect is preserved like Novara di Sicilia and San Fratello.
    That is probably due to Lombard influence and the lack of Phoenicians and other Near Eastern influences.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Obvious since phoenicians founded two or three colonies (if the theory of Solunto phoenician is right) in Sicily and not in the Nebrodi area. Btw a brief of history of Malta in italian.
    http://www.informagiovani-italia.com...a-di-malta.htm

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Maleth in which period Malta was depopulated and repopulated with people from Sicily?

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

However back in the topic, some maltese beauties from Miss Malta.
    https://www.google.it/search?q=miss+...ih=714&dpr=0.9

King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 753

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

However Maleth what do you mean with this difference between agrarian and harbour area?i'm curious to that.
    To make it very simple the agrarin Maltese are the original People that arrived from Sicily in the repopulation project during the Aglabide (Moors/Arab) period who spoke Siculo Arabic probably like the area they came from in Sicily. (i dont think there is any record to who and were in Sicily these people came from). These people would have started to first Villages that later formed other villages as the population increased Adding to this population later came the settlement of barons that divided all the land between them but payed tributes to the king of Sicily, thus creating the 'universita' which was the sort of parlament based in Mdina (citta nobile). This was the time when the Island saw a resurgence of Aragonese garrisons to guard the Three Castles. That is Mdina, Gozo (Citadella) and the one instead of present day fort Sant Angelo. at the harbour entrance. (there was only one small town Birgu at that time as population preferred to live inland for safety.

With the arrival of Knights they decided to increase the population around the harbour and made Birgu their home (and not the medival town of Mdina). Here started a great industry in building ships (the Knights were famous for) and became richer through piracy. This attracted a new population and new immigrants. There have been numerous marriages from now Latin speaking Sicily, Italy and also France, and therefore created a kind of new society compared to the people who lived in the Countryside. This new society kept on growing with eventually the building of Valletta (after the victory of great siege of 1565. Today the whole harbour area has become like a big town mainly dominated by these industrial kind of people living on Maritime trade (compared to the Maltese living off agriculture and later proved to be good builders in the use of stone)

In my opinion these were like two different societies (kind of city people and country people). Even the language was spoken differently. People in the Country are still very faithful to the Siculo/Arabic with heavy and harsh accents, but People round the city has latinized much more the language and later Anglasised it (through the British rule) albeit still very semetic in its structure. If one looks well can also see differences in Phenotypes between these two societies but of course they are all termed Maltese.
    Attached Images Attached Images

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Maleth in which period Malta was depopulated and repopulated with people from Sicily?
    It must have been in the 1000's a few decades before Count Roger took the islands over. It would be interesting to see if there is any documentation in the National Archived in Palermo about the subject and to see from which region the new migrants came from.

Al Hymardi wrote that after the Aglabaid attack on the Island it was left as a Herba (Ruin) and only visited occasionally from Sicilian fisher men to fish in its waters and to collect Wood and wild honey. It also mentioned that donkeys lived wildly (probably runaways from the previous population during the Byzantime era)

Level

Obvious since phoenicians founded two or three colonies (if the theory of Solunto phoenician is right) in Sicily and not in the Nebrodi area. Btw a brief of history of Malta in italian.
    http://www.informagiovani-italia.com...a-di-malta.htm
    I notice that there can be Palermitans with light coloring, but in terms of features they often have a Near Eastern element to their look that is weaker in the more Greek areas of the island. My great grandmother was from Palermo.. light skinned and blue eyed, but with features that you might have taken her for an Ashkenazi Jew.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Maleth View Post
    To make it very simple the agrarin Maltese are the original People that arrived from Sicily in the repopulation project during the Aglabide (Moors/Arab) period who spoke Siculo Arabic probably like the area they came from in Sicily. (i dont think there is any record to who and were in Sicily these people came from). These people would have started to first Villages that later formed other villages as the population increased Adding to this population later came the settlement of barons that divided all the land between them but payed tributes to the king of Sicily, thus creating the 'universita' which was the sort of parlament based in Mdina (citta nobile). This was the time when the Island saw a resurgence of Aragonese garrisons to guard the Three Castles. That is Mdina, Gozo (Citadella) and the one instead of present day fort Sant Angelo. at the harbour entrance. (there was only one small town Birgu at that time as population preferred to live inland for safety.

With the arrival of Knights they decided to increase the population around the harbour and made Birgu their home (and not the medival town of Mdina). Here started a great industry in building ships (the Knights were famous for) and became richer through piracy. This attracted a new population and new immigrants. There have been numerous marriages from now Latin speaking Sicily, Italy and also France, and therefore created a kind of new society compared to the people who lived in the Countryside. This new society kept on growing with eventually the building of Valletta (after the victory of great siege of 1565. Today the whole harbour area has become like a big town mainly dominated by these industrial kind of people living on Maritime trade (compared to the Maltese living off agriculture and later proved to be good builders in the use of stone)

In my opinion these were like two different societies (kind of city people and country people). Even the language was spoken differently. People in the Country are still very faithful to the Siculo/Arabic with heavy and harsh accents, but People round the city has latinized much more the language and later Anglasised it (through the British rule) albeit still very semetic in its structure. If one looks well can also see differences in Phenotypes between these two societies but of course they are all termed Maltese.
    Thanks. So for example a people from Birkrkara and a people from La Valletta can have some phenotypically differences?

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Thanks. So for example a people from Birkrkara and a people from La Valletta can have some phenotypically differences?
    Not so evident today because of the intermixing due the urban sprawl. During world war 2 many 'City' People dispersed as refuges into the country due to heavy continuous bombing because of the harbour itself. Many of them did never return back and the areas relegated to poor districts irrelevant to the rich historic heritage. Today we are seeing a regeneration. Today 'Greater Valletta' ecompases example what used to be agrarian town such as Birkirkara and Qormi. (this puts a smile on my face because the locals hate this terminology and want their districts towns on their own rights but Visitors call all the area Valletta). I believe it would have been much more evident say 100 years ago.

Having said that, if anyone tries hard enough it is possible

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

However back in the topic, some maltese beauties from Miss Malta.
    https://www.google.it/search?q=miss+...ih=714&dpr=0.9
    Eyyy!...sexy :)

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Thanks Maleth, in the past there was the theory that maltese is a remnant language of ancient phoenician, do you like this theory? However my favourite girl in this album is Joanne Galea.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Edwige Fenech a famous maltese-italian actress.

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Thanks Maleth, in the past there was the theory that maltese is a remnant language of ancient phoenician, do you like this theory?
    Maltese language has been widely debated, however I believe that there is a consensus that the language is most similar to Tunisian dialect mixed with higher arabic.

The Tunisian dialect could also have Phoenician characteristics (I presume some berber too) anyway as Cartage was located there.

The use of higher arabic can suggest that it was a learned language during the Aglabite take over as over taking being the lingua franka. Example when people learn English they are thought high English and not the various English dialects. Most British people do not speak High English but dialects the heaviest would the Scottish. The English spoken in Malta is a weird English version with small percentage mainly in the north harbour area, speaking it on a daily basis....nick named 'pepe'

The Phoenician theory would be more political to dissociate to anything arabic. One cannot disassociate a trace of Phoenician words in the language (that is extinct today) taking in consideration that the Phoenicians have been both in Malta and Western Sicily for 100's of year, (the difference is that Malta was depopulated at some point, so the language could have only arrived from Sicily. I wonder what language did the then Maltese people speak during the long Byzantine rule with the split of the Roman empire?) followed by Carthaginian which is an offshoot of Phoenicia. So I would presume that some areas were pretty familiar or found it easy to take on the new language.

Look at Sicily today, although there are traces of Arabic like Spanish but the language is overwhelmingly Latin. So a language can overtake another in a relatively short period of time.

At some point there was a strong movement for Italian to be the language of Malta (it was the official language of the knights of st john, even though the French had three languages in the order making it the biggest group within the order) and at some point even during British rule there were a few papers that came out in the Italian language (again something more promoted by the 'city' people . Even the courts were all in Italian. The British did not like that and practically the Italian language movement disintegrated with the advents of world war 2 when Musolini decided to Join the Germans to bombard Malta. The Maltese language (were the strongest support was with the 'country' people) was even promoted by the British and today both languages are national languages of Malta. The irony is today around 66% of Maltese speak fluent Italian (probably due to the many Italian tv stations we receive, probably more then ever before, and the cultural exchanges between Sicily and Malta have defiantly increased since world war 2.

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Edwige Fenech a famous maltese-italian actress.
    I remember Edwige Fenech, she was very popular.....and kinky too :)

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

Considering that the maltese language is heavily influenced by sicilian and italian though.
    http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_maltese

"perché ha circa il 60% di vocaboli provenienti dall'italiano e soprattutto dalla lingua siciliana"

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
    Considering that the maltese language is heavily influenced by sicilian and italian though.
    http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingua_maltese

"perch� ha circa il 60% di vocaboli provenienti dall'italiano e soprattutto dalla lingua siciliana"
    Indeed there is no doubt.
    (senza dubbio = bla dubju)

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

What italian and particularly sicilian channales there are in Malta?

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

What italian and particularly sicilian channales there are in Malta?
    I have cable and on the most basic package one gets 8 Italian channels like Rai, Mediasat, TV moda, canale 5, Rete3, Iris and so on. We used to have ariel reception when I was younger and got man stations from Sicily. But i do not know the present ones by name but they come through ariel or even satalite. Only reason I have cable as I can have it on more tv's not just one.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

And for that many maltese speak italian with problems. During the english dominion was forbidden the use of italian language i reckon.

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

And for that many maltese speak italian with problems. During the english dominion was forbidden the use of italian language i reckon.
    Indeed some Maltese were even exiled and as a direct result of the war the alta societa switched from Italian to English, and still prevalent today. It reflects in everything here, footballs support and even political parties, the Labour party in essence is pro British and the Nationalist party (Christian democrats) are pro Italian. But the gap is narrowing as the events of history becomes more distant

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I-S185
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2b

Ethnic group
    Italian

The maltese girl with surname Formosa told me that in 1930 circa there was a pro italian revolt against the british government.

King Achievements:
    Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

The maltese girl with surname Formosa told me that in 1930 circa there was a pro italian revolt against the british government.

I think she is talking about 'sette Giugno' event http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sette_Giugno

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast