Photos of the Maltese people.

I don't know, to be honest, because unfortunately i have never been in Greece. However she is the greek girl who she told me that.
wc1p4m.jpg

I'm curious to been in Crete to see if they look like agrigentini and gelesi or in Messenia, Calcide and Corinth to see if there are many similarities with the rest of the island.

Is the video about Iliana Papageorgiou, Miss Greece?

She looks a bit like Maria Callas in this picture.
http://i53.tinypic.com/mwcpqf.jpg

I myself have fairly recent (last 200 years) ancestry from Anatolian Greeks fleeing the Ottomans. They settled in Messina and then intermarried into Sicilian families.
Strange, the greek community of Messina descendent of the inhabitans of Corone and they moved to Messina in 1450-1550 not in the last 200 years.

Anche il XVI secolo fu caratterizzato da continui flussi migratori dalla Grecia: tra il 1534 e il 1534 vi fu un notevole flusso migratorio da parte di abitanti di Corone, cittadina greca del Peloponneso finita in mano agli invasori ottomani

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greci_di_Messina

There shouldn't be any differences between the southern part of Sicily, and Malta. Since most people living in Malta came from there.
Not all maltese descendend from southern sicilians. Surnames like Bonnici (catanese), Abela (siracusano), Vella (palermitano), Falzon(e) from Caltanissetta are quite common in Malta and they are not from Agrigento or Gela.

Malta football team. However Andrei Agius and especially Paul Fenech look both a lot like two guys of my town. Unbelievable.
http://it.uefa.com/uefaeuro/qualifiers/season=2016/teams/team=88/index.html

I presume Andrew Hog is not Maltese born, Probably married here, as those looks are rarely found locally and probably would come through mixed marriages. I would say Anrei Agius would fall more into one end of the Maltese mix. Paul Fenech to me is not typical Maltese and leans more to central continental Italians (Quite a typical look on Central, norther continental Italy. (My opinion of course). Would you consider Paul Fenech look typical of any region in Sicily?

Not all maltese descendend from southern sicilians. Surnames like Bonnici (catanese), Abela (siracusano), Vella (palermitano), Falzon(e) from Caltanissetta are quite common in Malta and they are not from Agrigento or Gela.

During the Aragonese period there has also been a number of Catalan surnames introduced mainly through the stationing of the garrisons. Two I can think of are Cardona and Herera but there are some more.

Question for you Hautville. Do you personally notice different phenotypes from different regions around Sicily? Its a big Island. It happens in Malta and its such a small Island. Example sometimes one can tell the difference between Agrarian Maltese and People round the harbour area, Although the difference is nearly impossible to notice in most areas now adays due to accelerated mix of the last decades.

Karen Debattista reminds me the "reconstructed" maltese woman from 5500 years ago
View attachment 6890
View attachment 6891

Unfortunatly no Dna have been tested on these bone remains, and would not even be considered in the new studies being conducted at present - so sad. The skin colour and hair texture have just been a rough guess so the skin could have been darker or lighter and the hair could have been curly, wavy or just as it is since no one can read (as yet) the DNA of these megalithic temples builders. I am inclined to believe they were G's but nothing can be excluded of course.

I presume Andrew Hog is not Maltese born, Probably married here, as those looks are rarely found locally and probably would come through mixed marriages. I would say Anrei Agius would fall more into one end of the Maltese mix. Paul Fenech to me is not typical Maltese and leans more to central continental Italians (Quite a typical look on Central, norther continental Italy. (My opinion of course). Would you consider Paul Fenech look typical of any region in Sicily?
The same is Bjorn Kristensen. Paul Fenech is a kind of look that you can find around with some frequency. Not the most typical but not even an atypical look.

During the Aragonese period there has also been a number of Catalan surnames introduced mainly through the stationing of the garrisons. Two I can think of are Cardona and Herera but there are some more.

Question for you Hautville. Do you personally notice different phenotypes from different regions around Sicily? Its a big Island. It happens in Malta and its such a small Island. Example sometimes one can tell the difference between Agrarian Maltese and People round the harbour area, Although the difference is nearly impossible to notice in most areas now adays due to accelerated mix of the last decades.
The same Cardona and Incardona are quite common surnames in Sicily, Herrera much more rarely but sometimes appears among the population, idem for many other surnames with spanish sound like Martinez, Fichera, Cabrera, Ribera, Barbera and Vasquez.
The difference in the look is more between high class and low class here. Although some areas can be lighter and other darker, Palermo is a fantastic pot in this sense but i have noticed an high percentage of blue eyes in Montalbano Elicona particularly.

In Sicily there is a higher frequency of lighter eyes in Palermo and inland regions (Enna and whereabouts), and people from the southern coast, Trapani, and Messina are darker and have a greater likelihood of having "exotic" influences. That's the difference I'd expect, but overall it'd be minor.

Also the eastern coast would have a lot of people who look classically Greek.

In the Nebrodi mountains (never conquered by arabs btw) the frequency of light eyes is surprising high (i have seen that personally) especially in Montalbano Elicona and Mistretta but also in the cities were the lombard dialect is preserved like Novara di Sicilia and San Fratello.

However Maleth what do you mean with this difference between agrarian and harbour area?i'm curious to that.

In the Nebrodi mountains (never conquered by arabs btw) the frequency of light eyes is surprising high (i have seen that personally) especially in Montalbano Elicona and Mistretta but also in the cities were the lombard dialect is preserved like Novara di Sicilia and San Fratello.

That is probably due to Lombard influence and the lack of Phoenicians and other Near Eastern influences.

Maleth in which period Malta was depopulated and repopulated with people from Sicily?

However Maleth what do you mean with this difference between agrarian and harbour area?i'm curious to that.

To make it very simple the agrarin Maltese are the original People that arrived from Sicily in the repopulation project during the Aglabide (Moors/Arab) period who spoke Siculo Arabic probably like the area they came from in Sicily. (i dont think there is any record to who and were in Sicily these people came from). These people would have started to first Villages that later formed other villages as the population increased Adding to this population later came the settlement of barons that divided all the land between them but payed tributes to the king of Sicily, thus creating the 'universita' which was the sort of parlament based in Mdina (citta nobile). This was the time when the Island saw a resurgence of Aragonese garrisons to guard the Three Castles. That is Mdina, Gozo (Citadella) and the one instead of present day fort Sant Angelo. at the harbour entrance. (there was only one small town Birgu at that time as population preferred to live inland for safety.

With the arrival of Knights they decided to increase the population around the harbour and made Birgu their home (and not the medival town of Mdina). Here started a great industry in building ships (the Knights were famous for) and became richer through piracy. This attracted a new population and new immigrants. There have been numerous marriages from now Latin speaking Sicily, Italy and also France, and therefore created a kind of new society compared to the people who lived in the Countryside. This new society kept on growing with eventually the building of Valletta (after the victory of great siege of 1565. Today the whole harbour area has become like a big town mainly dominated by these industrial kind of people living on Maritime trade (compared to the Maltese living off agriculture and later proved to be good builders in the use of stone)

In my opinion these were like two different societies (kind of city people and country people). Even the language was spoken differently. People in the Country are still very faithful to the Siculo/Arabic with heavy and harsh accents, but People round the city has latinized much more the language and later Anglasised it (through the British rule) albeit still very semetic in its structure. If one looks well can also see differences in Phenotypes between these two societies but of course they are all termed Maltese.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7
Maleth in which period Malta was depopulated and repopulated with people from Sicily?

It must have been in the 1000's a few decades before Count Roger took the islands over. It would be interesting to see if there is any documentation in the National Archived in Palermo about the subject and to see from which region the new migrants came from.

Al Hymardi wrote that after the Aglabaid attack on the Island it was left as a Herba (Ruin) and only visited occasionally from Sicilian fisher men to fish in its waters and to collect Wood and wild honey. It also mentioned that donkeys lived wildly (probably runaways from the previous population during the Byzantime era)

Obvious since phoenicians founded two or three colonies (if the theory of Solunto phoenician is right) in Sicily and not in the Nebrodi area. Btw a brief of history of Malta in italian.
http://www.informagiovani-italia.com/storia-di-malta.htm

I notice that there can be Palermitans with light coloring, but in terms of features they often have a Near Eastern element to their look that is weaker in the more Greek areas of the island. My great grandmother was from Palermo.. light skinned and blue eyed, but with features that you might have taken her for an Ashkenazi Jew.

This thread has been viewed 47302 times.

Back