Photos of the Maltese people.

To make it very simple the agrarin Maltese are the original People that arrived from Sicily in the repopulation project during the Aglabide (Moors/Arab) period who spoke Siculo Arabic probably like the area they came from in Sicily. (i dont think there is any record to who and were in Sicily these people came from). These people would have started to first Villages that later formed other villages as the population increased Adding to this population later came the settlement of barons that divided all the land between them but payed tributes to the king of Sicily, thus creating the 'universita' which was the sort of parlament based in Mdina (citta nobile). This was the time when the Island saw a resurgence of Aragonese garrisons to guard the Three Castles. That is Mdina, Gozo (Citadella) and the one instead of present day fort Sant Angelo. at the harbour entrance. (there was only one small town Birgu at that time as population preferred to live inland for safety.

With the arrival of Knights they decided to increase the population around the harbour and made Birgu their home (and not the medival town of Mdina). Here started a great industry in building ships (the Knights were famous for) and became richer through piracy. This attracted a new population and new immigrants. There have been numerous marriages from now Latin speaking Sicily, Italy and also France, and therefore created a kind of new society compared to the people who lived in the Countryside. This new society kept on growing with eventually the building of Valletta (after the victory of great siege of 1565. Today the whole harbour area has become like a big town mainly dominated by these industrial kind of people living on Maritime trade (compared to the Maltese living off agriculture and later proved to be good builders in the use of stone)

In my opinion these were like two different societies (kind of city people and country people). Even the language was spoken differently. People in the Country are still very faithful to the Siculo/Arabic with heavy and harsh accents, but People round the city has latinized much more the language and later Anglasised it (through the British rule) albeit still very semetic in its structure. If one looks well can also see differences in Phenotypes between these two societies but of course they are all termed Maltese.
Thanks. So for example a people from Birkrkara and a people from La Valletta can have some phenotypically differences?

Thanks. So for example a people from Birkrkara and a people from La Valletta can have some phenotypically differences?

Not so evident today because of the intermixing due the urban sprawl. During world war 2 many 'City' People dispersed as refuges into the country due to heavy continuous bombing because of the harbour itself. Many of them did never return back and the areas relegated to poor districts irrelevant to the rich historic heritage. Today we are seeing a regeneration. Today 'Greater Valletta' ecompases example what used to be agrarian town such as Birkirkara and Qormi. (this puts a smile on my face because the locals hate this terminology and want their districts towns on their own rights but Visitors call all the area Valletta). I believe it would have been much more evident say 100 years ago.

Having said that, if anyone tries hard enough it is possible

Thanks Maleth, in the past there was the theory that maltese is a remnant language of ancient phoenician, do you like this theory? However my favourite girl in this album is Joanne Galea.
2rneigw.jpg

Edwige Fenech a famous maltese-italian actress.
2a66oup.jpg

Thanks Maleth, in the past there was the theory that maltese is a remnant language of ancient phoenician, do you like this theory?

Maltese language has been widely debated, however I believe that there is a consensus that the language is most similar to Tunisian dialect mixed with higher arabic.

The Tunisian dialect could also have Phoenician characteristics (I presume some berber too) anyway as Cartage was located there.

The use of higher arabic can suggest that it was a learned language during the Aglabite take over as over taking being the lingua franka. Example when people learn English they are thought high English and not the various English dialects. Most British people do not speak High English but dialects the heaviest would the Scottish. The English spoken in Malta is a weird English version with small percentage mainly in the north harbour area, speaking it on a daily basis....nick named 'pepe'

The Phoenician theory would be more political to dissociate to anything arabic. One cannot disassociate a trace of Phoenician words in the language (that is extinct today) taking in consideration that the Phoenicians have been both in Malta and Western Sicily for 100's of year, (the difference is that Malta was depopulated at some point, so the language could have only arrived from Sicily. I wonder what language did the then Maltese people speak during the long Byzantine rule with the split of the Roman empire?) followed by Carthaginian which is an offshoot of Phoenicia. So I would presume that some areas were pretty familiar or found it easy to take on the new language.

Look at Sicily today, although there are traces of Arabic like Spanish but the language is overwhelmingly Latin. So a language can overtake another in a relatively short period of time.

At some point there was a strong movement for Italian to be the language of Malta (it was the official language of the knights of st john, even though the French had three languages in the order making it the biggest group within the order) and at some point even during British rule there were a few papers that came out in the Italian language (again something more promoted by the 'city' people . Even the courts were all in Italian. The British did not like that and practically the Italian language movement disintegrated with the advents of world war 2 when Musolini decided to Join the Germans to bombard Malta. The Maltese language (were the strongest support was with the 'country' people) was even promoted by the British and today both languages are national languages of Malta. The irony is today around 66% of Maltese speak fluent Italian (probably due to the many Italian tv stations we receive, probably more then ever before, and the cultural exchanges between Sicily and Malta have defiantly increased since world war 2.

What italian and particularly sicilian channales there are in Malta?

What italian and particularly sicilian channales there are in Malta?

I have cable and on the most basic package one gets 8 Italian channels like Rai, Mediasat, TV moda, canale 5, Rete3, Iris and so on. We used to have ariel reception when I was younger and got man stations from Sicily. But i do not know the present ones by name but they come through ariel or even satalite. Only reason I have cable as I can have it on more tv's not just one.

And for that many maltese speak italian with problems. During the english dominion was forbidden the use of italian language i reckon.

And for that many maltese speak italian with problems. During the english dominion was forbidden the use of italian language i reckon.

Indeed some Maltese were even exiled and as a direct result of the war the alta societa switched from Italian to English, and still prevalent today. It reflects in everything here, footballs support and even political parties, the Labour party in essence is pro British and the Nationalist party (Christian democrats) are pro Italian. But the gap is narrowing as the events of history becomes more distant

The maltese girl with surname Formosa told me that in 1930 circa there was a pro italian revolt against the british government.

Here are some Sicilians from Palermo, can they fit in Malta? I chose a large group. Warning is they are tan, probably sit on the beach all day lol.

They look a bit different than the people in my family from Messina. A bit like Cypriots perhaps but not all the way?

palermo.jpg

Palermo is not homogeneous as you think at all.

Here are some Sicilians from Palermo, can they fit in Malta? I chose a large group. Warning is they are tan, probably sit on the beach all day lol.

They look a bit different than the people in my family from Messina. A bit like Cypriots perhaps but not all the way?

View attachment 6895

Easily pass as Maltese no doubt. If someone sits on the beach all day they will be MUCH darker then that believe me....:)

Ahhhh when can I have that fortune....seems like more stuck uder the AC in an office :(

Here are some more group photos

Athletics.jpgFolklor.JPGFootball.jpgJudo.jpgsocial_19_temp-1376221021-5207775d-620x348.jpg

This thread has been viewed 47286 times.

Back