New map of haplogroup U6 (mtDNA)

Maciamo

Veteran member
Admin
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italo-celto-germanic
I have finally found some time to make new maps. There are not so many left to make for top-level haplogroups found in Europe. Here is haplogroup U6, a lineage mostly found in Iberia, North Africa and around the Red Sea.

mtDNA-U6-map.png

The distribution pattern is fairly reminiscent of haplogroup L, which makes sense since they both came from North Africa, probably at the same time for several L subclades (though not necessarily all of them).

mtDNA-L-map.png

Hm, interesting distribution. Could U6 be Phoenician?

Hm, interesting distribution. Could U6 be Phoenician?

There is some U6 in Lebanon, but I doubt that the Phoenicians carried any meaningful percentage as there is very little U6 in Sardinia and apparently none in the Balearic islands. Lebanon has very little genetic diversity within U6 compared to Iberia and North Africa. U6 appears to be a late comer to the Middle East, probably associated with Semitic migrations.

There is some U6 in Lebanon, but I doubt that the Phoenicians carried any meaningful percentage as there is very little U6 in Sardinia and apparently none in the Balearic islands. Lebanon has very little genetic diversity within U6 compared to Iberia and North Africa. U6 appears to be a late comer to the Middle East, probably associated with Semitic migrations.
Given it's age; and it's area of distribution. (Iberia, North Africa) Would it be fair to say this is (originally) a Neanderthal mtDNA lineage?

Given it's age; and it's area of distribution. (Iberia, North Africa) Would it be fair to say this is (originally) a Neanderthal mtDNA lineage?

No. There is no known surviving Neanderthal mtDNA lineage. Any such lineage would have branched from the mtDNA tree before the currently established Mitochondrial Eve.

The most recent paper on MtDna "U6" of which I'm aware is the 2014 Bernard Secher et al one, "The history of the North African mitochondrial Dna haplogroup U6 gene flow into the African, Eurasian and American continents", which can be found at the link below.
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2148/14/109

No. There is no known surviving Neanderthal mtDNA lineage. Any such lineage would have branched from the mtDNA tree before the currently established Mitochondrial Eve.
FTDNA says this:

The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup U6 is among the oldest of the U haplogroups with an origin approximately 50,000 years ago. It is a rare, but ancient haplogroup, and individuals bearing this lineage out of the Near East may have encountered Neandertals as they moved around what is now the southern Mediterranean basin. In modern populations, it is found at highest frequency in Berber-speaking populations of North Africa and the Canary Islands. Its presence in Portugal and Spain is the result of recent admixture most likely related to the Moorish occupation of Iberia. 11% of modern day Europeans share this origin.

FTDNA says this:

The mitochondrial super-haplogroup U encompasses haplogroups U1-U7 and haplogroup K. Haplogroup U6 is among the oldest of the U haplogroups with an origin approximately 50,000 years ago. It is a rare, but ancient haplogroup, and individuals bearing this lineage out of the Near East may have encountered Neandertals as they moved around what is now the southern Mediterranean basin. In modern populations, it is found at highest frequency in Berber-speaking populations of North Africa and the Canary Islands. Its presence in Portugal and Spain is the result of recent admixture most likely related to the Moorish occupation of Iberia. 11% of modern day Europeans share this origin.

For a lineage to be Neanderthalian, it would need to have branched off from Homo sapiens lineages 600,000 years ago. If you mean that hybrid Homo sapiens-Neanderthal could have carried mtDNA U6, then yes, it is possible. But all Eurasians and North Africans are hybrids nowadays, so that is true for all haplogroups.

I love this site! The information and maps are fascinating. Quick question - would it be possible for you to create a map for the distribution of haplogroup U8? We just received the mtDNA results for my grandfather and he is U8. I would love to see one of your maps for that haplogroup. Thanks again for all that you have done!

My MtDNA haplogroup is U6a1a. My maternal great grandmother was from Co. Longford, Ireland.

This thread has been viewed 33940 times.

Back