maclemett

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Proto-Germanic (Paternal)
Y-DNA haplogroup
R1b/Z8+ (Devon)
mtDNA haplogroup
H2a
Hi All I have recently joined this fantastic site, I have recently had my DNA tested with FTDNA, 23 and me & Geno 2.0 I have therefore found that my Paternal Haplogroup is R1b1b2a1a1d sometimes seen as R Z8. I believe my Surname "Clemett" is rare and have been trying to find out a possible origin for it I have had 67 snps tested at present and I have no match at all on FTDNA. The story in the family is that the surname Clemett was originally French but while looking on the internet I see that my haplogroup is likely Proto-Germanic. That said I cannot find any articles or specific information on my particular haplogroup. I have managed to trace the Clemett ancestry back to a Stephen Clement of Frithelstock, Devon, England who was born in the late 1400's all of my paternal ancestry from 1889 is in Devon, England. Although the Clemett name is spelt as Clement I have found no evidence that I am related to the Clement, Clements families. At present I have been unable to find any family relation on my paternal side another family legend is that the family descended from the French De Clermont family descendants of royalty I give the story no credit though. Any pointers or information on where my Clemett family could have come from or what origins my Haplogroup have? Best Wishes

It sounds like an English name of French origin, definitely. Probably was carried there by Norse (Norman) invaders from France in the 11th century.

Hi Melancon thanks for the reply is there any way to corroborate that and any pointers on where to find information on the origin of my haplogroup?

Not sure how to answer this question, sorry.

But I think R1b1b2a1a1d's proper name is L47 according to SNPedia. Which means it is a derivative subclade of R1b U106 - S21. The Germanic clade of R1b.

So it is quite likely that it was brought to England via a Norse or Dane Viking source.

R1b-S21-tree.jpg

Edit: Here is the map of R1b-S21 here on Eupedia. You said that it was named Z8? That's not derivative of L47; unfortunately, but it is still derivative of R1b-S21. If you observe closely you may see Z8 right beside subclade CTS10893.

Cheers for that Melancon I think I might have confused the haplogroup with its short hand as the three different sites I've tested with have given my 3 different haplogroups looking through my tests on FTDNA I have tested positive for Z8. I have tested negative for Z11 but FTDNA shows I have an available test for Z1 is it worth doing?

Cheers for that Melancon I think I might have confused the haplogroup with its short hand as the three different sites I've tested with have given my 3 different haplogroups looking through my tests on FTDNA I have tested positive for Z8. I have tested negative for Z11 but FTDNA shows I have an available test for Z1 is it worth doing?
Do what you feel is necessary. I wouldn't really waste money on FTDNA trying to find out for myself. I would rather Browse my Raw Data and search for the Z8 or Z1 SNP's. But the con is, this would take an overwhelming lot of time and research to find SNP and to be clear it's a derivative allele.

Congratulations on your Z8+ result! I'm Z8+ as well. My patrilineal ancestry dates back to England, at least as far as I can tell. If you're interested in testing your place on the tree a branch further, then you can test for Z1 and/or M365 at Family Tree DNA. As seen from the chart Melancon gave, Z1 has a lot more subclades than Z11 or M365.4, so it's probably a better bet for testing first. If you test negative for that, then you can test for its other parallel branch, M365.4. The mutation (SNP) from M365.4 is the same mutation for M365.1, M365.2 and M365.3, which occur in haplogroups Q and J; in fact M365.1 is the defining SNP for haplogroup J1b, if I'm not mistaken. So if you want, you can ask FTDNA to test for M365.1 (or J1b) and that would be the same test as testing for M365.4.

It sounds like an English name of French origin, definitely. Probably was carried there by Norse (Norman) invaders from France in the 11th century.

Yes, it does sound French, or at least Latin in origin. The Normans, of course, were predominantly Norse who had assimilated to the French language. During that time, they may also have adopted some Roman and/or Celtic lines from France as well along the way.

Paternal Haplogroup R1b1b2a1a1d

My brother got this info from 23andme. Any others out there?

My brother got this info from 23andme. Any others out there?
I might be. Similar mtDNA too. Are you sure you are not my sister?
Welcome to Eupedia mever1.

R1B1B2A1A1D - Cluff

Hi mever1

I have tha above paternal haplo. My surname is Cluff. According to the Yank Cloughs (original spelling), they came from Brittainy with Norman the Conqueror and were given lands in the North of England - Lancashire and Yorkshire which resembled their valley lands in Brittainy. Cluffs - The Valley Men. Regards.

Mongrel_49

R z8

hi maclemett - 6 year old post, but I found my Y haplogroup is R Z8.

was looking for others of the same group as my surname finneran, which is laigin irish.

just dipping my toe here.

ann

This thread has been viewed 11074 times.

Back