Celtic heritage in a Small town (vettones, Caceres, Spain) (video)

Ziober

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Celtiberian
Cultural legacy and vetton-roman conflict performance in a small village in Salamanca, Castilla, Spain. Music; Spanish and irish Neo-celtic music;
Edited; this town is placed in Salamanca, not caceres, sorry...

Last edited:
Vetton archeological and cultural legacy in Jerte's Valley (Salamanca, Avila and caceres, Spain);

how long did they resist the Romans?
did they join Hannibal before?
Sincerely I don't know Bicicleur. What I know is regarding a strong resistance over more than 50 years in Numantia (Numancia, Soria) A celtiberian opidum surrounded by at least 5 roman battle camps in hills as Numantia was founded. Thank for your question. Edited (add info); I think Hannibal had not entering as western as vettons lived. The leader of the ally between lusitans and vettons was Viriato I had thougt.

Last edited:
Cultural legacy and vetton-roman conflict performance in a small village in Salamanca, Castilla, Spain. Music; Spanish and irish Neo-celtic music; Edited; this town is placed in Salamanca, not caceres, sorry...
Another video from the same town:

Celts in an isolated village who resisted the Romans for a long time? I wonder if these people are related to Astrix and his friends.

Celts in an isolated village who resisted the Romans for a long time? I wonder if these people are related to Astrix and his friends.
Exactly Aberdeen, as Asterix and friends. The videos regarding to small village, I haven't mentioned Numantia in these videos. Numantia was an opidum with about 4000-8000 soldiers, whose inhabitants resisted around 50 years:
numantiaatwar_zps4374c0d4.jpg

Pic from this website: http://www.academia.edu/2058522/New_Model_Legion._The_archaeology_of_Roman_camps_at_Numantia

how did they do this? did they use the same fighting tactics as the well-trained Roman legions?

how did they do this? did they use the same fighting tactics as the well-trained Roman legions?
Absolutely not bicicleur. They just were celtiberians and they prefer suicide than surrender as slaves.

many Celts prefered to die rather than being enslaved
but they didn't stop Romans for 50 years
they went into battle to hastily and unorganized

So this is the arts and entertainment subforum, lets we see this galician or Gael-ician dances (Galicia, Spain):

And this version of " Munheira de Chantada (better quality sound). Carlos nuñez (galician wind musician) and the Chieftains:

Sincerely I don't know Bicicleur. What I know is regarding a strong resistance over more than 50 years in Numantia (Numancia, Soria) A celtiberian opidum surrounded by at least 5 roman battle camps in hills as Numantia was founded. Thank for your question. Edited (add info); I think Hannibal had not entering as western as vettons lived. The leader of the ally between lusitans and vettons was Viriato I had thougt.
Romans usually encountered strong resistance in area covered with woods, and/or mountains. The ligures, too, fought them for a long time, especially the tribes living in the Appenine regions. Roman soldiers feared their ability in ambushes. Curiously, 2000 years later, the partisan brigades which fought nazi and fascist troops in the same places, adopted similar guerilla tactics, though obviously "modernized".

Romans usually encountered strong resistance in area covered with woods, and/or mountains. The ligures, too, fought them for a long time, especially the tribes living in the Appenine regions. Roman soldiers feared their ability in ambushes. Curiously, 2000 years later, the partisan brigades which fought nazi and fascist troops in the same places, adopted similar guerilla tactics, though obviously "modernized".

Indeed. Nothing much changes in terms of the essentials of warfare and conquest. "Guerrilla" fighters can hold out in mountains or forests or swamps and engage in hit and run attacks for a long time. The ultimate result depends on the amount of resources the invading or pacifying force possesses and is willing to expend (and the level of brutality in which they're willing to engage) versus the value of the target.As time went on and resources were stretched to cover large areas decisions had to be made as to what was and was not worth the expenditure of those resources.

In the case of the Ligures, they held out for a very long time...
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...he_Roman_Empire_between_218_BC_and_117_AD.png

Ultimately, they were doomed because they lay athwart the path along the coast into France desperately needed by a strong and still expanding Roman empire. So, the result of all that death and destruction was that they lost anyway. They would have been better off, in my opinion, if they had taken client status, as had so many other tribes. They had a penchant for choosing the wrong side, however, as they showed by siding with the Carthaginians. After all, it's not like this was the Third Reich where they planned to exterminate all the Poles, for example, and take over all the land. Fifty years after they were defeated, the descendents of the Celt-Ligurians who had hidden out in the mountains were prosperous citizens of Rome. Meanwhile, huge chunks of their population had been exterminated and another huge chunk had been exiled. With the Germans in WWII it was a different story. There could be no accommodation with them because their goal was not eventual incorporation on any kind of equal footing, but permanent virtual slave status or annihilation. However, given their level of resources, the "Ligures" would again have been defeated if it weren't for the aid given by the British and the Allied invasion of Italy.

This thread has been viewed 13687 times.

Back