FTDNA my recent family finder 'ethnic results'

Also, when I was investigating this whole issue I took a look at some very detailed maps of the general area in terms of solar reflectance and UV levels. It definitely gets higher levels than surrounding areas, which makes sense...that's why it has a Mediterranean climate and flora and fauna, and inland Liguria, Toscana, Piemonte, do not, and have more of a continental climate. Higher UV levels equals less selection for fair skin. I think that to some extent explains the situation in Spain as well.

Totally agree, this cannot be more truer then the Sardenian case were I2 is at nearly 40% with J's, E's and T's so low, yet scoring lower Even then Sicily (with much higher J's), even in hair colour terms. If there ever needed any prove of UV natural selection visa vi protection from the environment this is a good one.

RegionI2R1aR1bG2aJ2J1E1b1bT
Sardinia39.5%1%18.5%12%9%4%9.5%1.5%

Just received the the results of the "My origins", 96% Jewish diaspora (Ashkenazi) and 4% European (Scandinavian). I'm not surprised by the Jewish diaspora, but the Scandinavian certainly surprises me. Already on 23andme I received 0.3% Scandinavian on speculative, but I thought it was just noise. On standard however, I had about 4.9% broadly European, I suppose that's where the Scandinavian might be from. 4% I suppose equals roughly to a great great great grandfather. This certainly might be because I can only trace my father's line to his grandparents who came from Germany and Poland, but besides that I know nothing about them, I do know however that my biological father was very fair, while my mother has a Mediterranean complexion.

Congrats for the results Maleth, in your Eurogenes results you're basically a Western Sicilian of Eurogenes K13, which is consistent to the history and settlements from Southern Italy to Malta.

Your

Eurogenes

Population
North_Atlantic22.64%
Baltic8.20%
West_Med22.04%
West_Asian10.18%
East_Med26.89%
Red_Sea4.79%
South_Asian1.33%
East_Asian-
Siberian0.11%
Amerindian-
Oceanian0.55%
Northeast_African2.03%
Sub-Saharan1.24%

West Sicilian

North Atlantic - 21.14
Baltic - 7.59
West Med - 22.70
West Asian - 10.85
East Med - 28.65
Red Sea - 5.07
South Asian - 0.65
East Asian - 0.52
Siberian - 0.20
Amerindian - 0.05
Oceanian - 0.61
North-East African - 0.99
Sub-Saharan African - 0.96

Just received the the results of the "My origins", 96% Jewish diaspora (Ashkenazi) and 4% European (Scandinavian). I'm not surprised by the Jewish diaspora, but the Scandinavian certainly surprises me. Already on 23andme I received 0.3% Scandinavian on speculative, but I thought it was just noise. On standard however, I had about 4.9% broadly European, I suppose that's where the Scandinavian might be from. 4% I suppose equals roughly to a great great great grandfather. This certainly might be because I can only trace my father's line to his grandparents who came from Germany and Poland, but besides that I know nothing about them, I do know however that my biological father was very fair, while my mother has a Mediterranean complexion.

I think Ashkenazi in general has a European admixture anyway. I dont know the correct percentage but it could be up to 10% if not mistaken.

Congrats for the results Maleth, in your Eurogenes results you're basically a Western Sicilian of Eurogenes K13, which is consistent to the history and settlements from Southern Italy to Malta.

Your

Thanks Hauteville, it does indeed :)

I think Ashkenazi in general has a European admixture anyway. I dont know the correct percentage but it could be up to 10% if not mistaken.

10% as in WHG?

10% as in WHG?

that would be y-dna, in fact it seems much higher in autosmal dna, probably mostly through MtDNA

"Another recent study, also based on whole genomes, found that a mixture of European ancestries ranged from 30 percent to 60 percent among Ashkenazi and Sephardi populations, with Northern Italians showing the greatest proximity to Jews of any Europeans."

---------------------------

...... while most individual participants with southern European ancestry (Italians, Greeks, Portuguese, Spaniards) showed >85% in the 'southern' group. Both Ashkenazi Jews as well as Sephardic Jews showed >85% membership in the "southern" group. Referring to the Jews clustering with southern Europeans, the authors state the results were "consistent with a later Mediterranean origin of these ethnic groups".[127]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashkenazi_Jews#Genetics

Results so far from Yseq :)

Positive for 35.1 - Pf 1944 - Z5018 - S2979. Becoming more specific now, more to come.

I have moved the post about the new MyOrigins results to a dedicated thread.

This thread has been viewed 32303 times.

Back