Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

Usually a ridge of a nose don't line up with forehead, creating bigger or smaller indentation, a meniscus, at the place they join.

Some time ago in Greece there were people with a very tall nose bridge, with nose and forehead with almost parallel lines.

Venus-de-Milo-5685-XL.jpg

Can this nose be found in Greece today?

yes,
my father had such, thin and start from above eyes

but that is the perfect, the godess nose

check this

Georgios-Samaras_1346317.jpg

malezas_paok_aerodromio_281111.jpg

East Europe Ural area.
181457299_b316b36fc2.jpg

Komi people
52.jpg

Udmart
3102669288_be075f99b9_z.jpg

Karelian
12342384035_4b39e474c5_b.jpg

Are Karelian noses pointing down?

the first photo seems original Turk to me

I got your point,

trouth is I can recogn a possible Armenian from a possible Kurd from a possibleTurk from a possible Georgian,

but not a Northern one, except Norwegians, and not all the time,

i ussually regogn them from the big forehead, brow, face front

nightwish.jpg

Tarja-Turunen-tarja-24122891-1024-768.jpg

although i could fall in love with her :heart:, she certainly is not southern than alps or danube

or him

yngwie_malmsteen_by_middeneaht.jpg

Croats often have huge beaks, myself included

mavrovic.jpg

0.jpg

duvnjak-vori-i-cupic-kandidati-za-najboljeg-igraca-na-svijetu-504x335-20130104-20130128232823-5d175ffaacb31fd1131852d1e505fb33.jpg

duvnjakJAk-gertty.jpg

y293671765587126.jpg

44134124.jpg

2870dd1d25dd9d99176872e1fe8873be_L.jpg

Last edited:
Gravettian from Czech Republic, about 20 thousand years old.

c7fa125320acc1c3268f4aac5ee4f417.jpg
headbrugar11.jpg

Wide base, fleshy nostrils and extremely pointed upward. It is hard to find a nose like this one today, though some could be found in north Europe.

kkYWE.jpg

Or actress Carrey Mulligan.
carey-mulligan-long-brown-hair.jpg
carey-mulligan-hair1.jpg

Most common nose on this planet. It can be found on every continent and every ethnic group (with only with few exceptions).
It features lower bridge, fleshy tip and flaring nostrils.

Renee-renee-zellweger-Zellwegger_Bridget_Jones_bridget_jones_diaries.jpg

In Mongolia
282af7dce90bae47big.jpg

In China
PengWei.jpg

Philippines
sayaka_akimoto.jpg

India
6605744661_0754f030af_z.jpg

Australia Aborigines. Nose like this is rarity though, most noses are wider and flatter.
10.jpg

Amazon jungle:
2425955968_372c5cba11_b_0x0_150KB.jpg

Inuits of Northern Arctic
stock-footage-alaska-circa-an-inuit-eskimo-face-looks-forward-circa-in-alaska.jpg

Angola
d2af0817ff55e7e4471f0344b77275a1.jpg

Sudan
sudan16.jpg

Does this mean that original people out of Africa sported such nose and have spreaded it around the planet?

LeBrok:
Does this mean that original people out of Africa sported such nose and have spreaded it around the planet?

Probably. (The last man has more cartilage in his nose, I think. Is he from eastern Africa? )

I think that nose is most prevalent in Africa, Australia, Oceania, south Asia, and then on to southeastern and Eastern Asia. In Europe, rightly or wrongly I always associate it with the very northern tier and with a declining gradient from east to west. I think I remember that Comb Ceramic people had, according to some old anthropologists, some "Mongoloid" tendencies, if not EDAR type features. (Renee Zellwiger, by the way, is of Finnish, Sami, Norwegian, and Swiss ancestry (the latter being associated with her surname, I would imagine.)

I think it's pretty clear that the "bonier" noses came at least partly from West Asia with the farmers. I think Bedouin are a decent proxy genetically if you remove the SSA. This is the first picture that came up when I googled Bedouin men:

tumblr_mn29nziE4C1r6x61do1_500.jpg

This is a Bedouin from Jordan:
jordan-lebanon-12741-259x300.jpg

This is an older Bedouin woman:
2711725_172637_f22b53a2a5_p.jpg

Samaritans are also a pretty good proxy, I suppose. Some of them have a different type of nose...bonier and more prominent than what you're talking about, but "fleshier" than the previous ones of the Bedouin.
1303134626-samaritans-passover-sacrifice-at-mount-grizim_662418.jpg

Interestingly, the Bronze Age post Corded Ware Warrior also had a prominent nose. I'm not sure where the origin would be...

I thought perhaps from ANE, but the highest ANE is in South American Indians, and their noses are pretty flat, although maybe not usually as flat as many Africans and East Asians.. Then again, the North American Indians have very prominent noses too. The Bronze Age Warrior also might have had some Yamnaya "Armenian like" ancestry via Corded Ware,I guess, but it's not an "Armenian like" nose really. What about WGH like Loschbour? I know the reproduction gave him a prominent nose, but can you really tell that from the skeleton?

Karitiana:
KARITIANA_01.jpg

Maybe it's just the case that although your series represents the "original" nose, it survives best in certain environments. Different environmental factors might have led to the "bonier" noses we see in West Asia and Europe.

IMO, there's a difference between a prominent nose and a wide nose, although the two can be combined. But I see wide noses as being common in both SSA populations and some East Asian populations, particularly in New Guinea, which has more Denisovian than some other East Asian populations (some of whom have quite small noses). So maybe the wide nose is, by coincidence, common among both SSA populations and people with a fair minority of Denisovian ancestry. So I guess wide noses among South Americans could also be Denisovian. The prominent nose, or "hawk nose", does seem to be a feature of Middle Eastern and some Caucasian types, although I've also seen a variation of it among some Greeks and some Italians, particularly Tuscan (Etruscan?) types.

Probably. (The last man has more cartilage in his nose, I think. Is he from eastern Africa? )
I would swear it is she. ;) She's from Sudan, and yes, more cartilage and higher bridge too. It is almost impossible to find smaller nose in East Africa or Near East. The biggest/taller noses are in Near East, Sahara and East Africa, South Europe with emphasis on Balkans, Caucasus, South-West Asia with North India. I might not be far from the truth saying that this is a trait of first Near Eastern Farmers, who as we know, replaced most of local hunter-gatherer population. You seem to be in agreement with this too.
However how such big nose came to existence at first place in first farmers? Is it an excellent nose to sniff out ripe wheat for harvest? lol Who knows. It might be, as well, a gift from Neanderthals. The Near East was the place where Homo-sapiens met Neanderthal for the first time, and "fell in love".

There is one remote place were big noses appear in native population. Some North American Indians. Like this Cree guy.
a182215sm.jpg

As enigmatic as R1b source in Natives. Gifts from one of migrations from Asia?

I thought perhaps from ANE, but the highest ANE is in South American Indians, and their noses are pretty flat, although maybe not usually as flat as many Africans and East Asians.. Then again, the North American Indians have very prominent noses too. The Bronze Age Warrior also might have had some Yamnaya "Armenian like" ancestry via Corded Ware,I guess, but it's not an "Armenian like" nose really. What about WGH like Loschbour? I know the reproduction gave him a prominent nose, but can you really tell that from the skeleton?
WHG were very isolated for ANE hunter gatherers. In this case there is no problem that they could look differently. One group with smaller one with bigger beak. Though your example of South Americans and most North Asian people having smaller noses is not supporting big ANE nose. Gravettian curving of a head point to WHG have smaller noses too, assuming no big population replacement since Gravettians till La Brania.

Maybe it's just the case that although your series represents the "original" nose, it survives best in certain environments. Different environmental factors might have led to the "bonier" noses we see in West Asia and Europe.
Definitely, or simple founder effect, or side effect of other positive mutations. Can't wait till we can reconstruct exact faces from reading dna code.

IMO, there's a difference between a prominent nose and a wide nose, although the two can be combined. But I see wide noses as being common in both SSA populations and some East Asian populations, particularly in New Guinea, which has more Denisovian than some other East Asian populations (some of whom have quite small noses). So maybe the wide nose is, by coincidence, common among both SSA populations and people with a fair minority of Denisovian ancestry.
I'm thinking along same lines. It seems that Australians and New Guineans marched fairly fast from some place in Africa to the destination.

Typical nose of Australian Aborigines.

pd1029491.jpg
faces_of_australian_640_01.jpg

I've checked African folks for similarities of the nose. The most similar nose comes in central sub saharan Africa.
Malawi
malawi-woman-1.jpg

Batwa people, recent hunter gatherers from jungle of Uganda
The-endangered-Batwa-pygmy-population-of-Uganda.jpg

DSC_8070.jpg

Look at the girl from Batwa village, interview at 4:50 min. If not the context I would guess that she's Australian.

IMO, there's a difference between a prominent nose and a wide nose, although the two can be combined. But I see wide noses as being common in both SSA populations and some East Asian populations, particularly in New Guinea, which has more Denisovian than some other East Asian populations (some of whom have quite small noses).
New Guineans have somewhat different noses than Australians. Much higher bridge.

vsk0i.jpg

Well, at least some of them. Like a different migration group. They don't look very african on this picture.

Minoan Nose, Neolithic Mediterranean
Minoan_Queens_Fresco.jpg

46496479_05e85ac8489027d85b.jpg

82285_fresco-the-parisienne-from.jpg

All pictures, that I could find, point to the high bridge, almost in line nose bridge with forehead, still common in Greece. Another clue for this nose being of first farmers origin.

This is the skull of Neanderthal from Near East. Its nose bridge starts very low, below eyes.
neandertal_skull.jpg

http://www.harunyahya.com/en/Books/974/the-evolution-deceit/chapter/3577

Its nasal cavity reminds more of sub saharan African skull cavity.

an2318-6abebd84.jpg

Modern European with big nose, bridge starts much higher, closer to forehead and is taller.
White_skull.jpg

In this case the near eastern Neanderthal nose looked more like central African nose.
2485570-morgan+freeman.jpg

Here goes my hypothesis that the tall nose is inherited from Near Eastern Neanderthals.

PS. I like Morgan Freeman and I'm not suggesting that he is a Neanderthal. He just might have his proxy nose.

Last edited:
Here is 90 thousand year old skull from Israel cave, skull Kamzeh 9 features is called early modern human and has Caucasian like nasal cavity.
qafzeh_9_big.jpg

This thread has been viewed 347000 times.

Back