Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

This is the skull of Neanderthal from Near East. Its nose bridge starts very low, below eyes.
neandertal_skull.jpg

http://www.harunyahya.com/en/Books/974/the-evolution-deceit/chapter/3577

Its nasal cavity reminds more of sub saharan African skull cavity.

an2318-6abebd84.jpg

Modern European with big nose, bridge starts much higher, closer to forehead and is taller.
White_skull.jpg

In this case the near eastern Neanderthal nose looked more like central African nose.
2485570-morgan+freeman.jpg

Here goes my hypothesis that the tall nose is inherited from Near Eastern Neanderthals.

PS. I like Morgan Freeman and I'm not suggesting that he is a Neanderthal. He just might have his proxy nose.

Wait, I'm confused...the Neanderthal nose starts below the bridge, you said, and Morgan Freeman's nose is like it and also like a Central African nose. There certainly is no cartilage along the bridge, so how can the "tall" nose be inherited from the Near Eastern Neanderthals? I'll grant you that it may be very old from the Caucasus to Saudi Arabia.

Also, you can have variations with all of this: high rooted, high bridged nose, lower rooted high bridged nose, high rooted long nose (the first Greek goddess statue), very high rooted short broader nose (second goddess statue), high rooted nose with medium bridge, narrow at top and broader base (maybe also the first goddess statue), and then they all come either straight or bumpy or curved.

There are all sort of online drawings of Greek, versus Roman, versus "Armenoid", etc. etc.

Now I, of course, have the perfect nose.:grin: Although neither of my parents had a "Greek" nose, somehow I got one...
it's basically the nose on the goddess with a flower garland on her hair, although it's not quite as long. It's moderately high rooted I guess you could say, absolutely straight, no bumps or curves, no dip down at the bottom. The only thing is, I don't know if their noses were the same width all the way down. My nose is narrow at the top and wider at the base. From the front it sort of looks like this:
Carice+Van+Houten+20th+Annual+Screen+Actors+3REugQh1p2yl.jpg

I've seen pictures of Carice Van Hooten in profile, though, and she doesn't have that "Greek" thing going on with the root.

Ah, unless your grandfather was a girl, perhaps you meant GM?:grin:
:LOL: Girlfriend... You, Angela, grammar nazi! :LOL::LOL:
Anyway... Her mum is calabrian. The ancient greek dialect spoken there, Griko, now almost extinct, has affinities with the cretan dialect... And Creta was the homeland of the minoan civilization. Cool, huh? (y)

Wait, I'm confused...the Neanderthal nose starts below the bridge, you said, and Morgan Freeman's nose is like it and also like a Central African nose. There certainly is no cartilage along the bridge, so how can the "tall" nose be inherited from the Near Eastern Neanderthals? I'll grant you that it may be very old from the Caucasus to Saudi Arabia.
I agree with you, I just didn't word my "change of mind" very well:
Here goes my hypothesis that the tall nose is inherited from Near Eastern Neanderthals.
In other words, the big-tall nose wasn't inherited from Neanderthals.

Judging by the 90,000 year old skull from Israel (post 37), the caucasian nose was already a feature of early modern humans (Homo Sapiens Sapiens). These HSS were contemporary of Near Eastern Neanderthals, who had quite different low bridge nose (small nasal bone). There is no way caucasian nose is from Neanderthal.

Also, you can have variations with all of this: high rooted, high bridged nose, lower rooted high bridged nose, high rooted long nose (the first Greek goddess statue), very high rooted short broader nose (second goddess statue), high rooted nose with medium bridge, narrow at top and broader base (maybe also the first goddess statue), and then they all come either straight or bumpy or curved.
That's right. I was calling high rooted nose as tall bridge nose. I'll pay a better attention in the future.

Now I, of course, have the perfect nose.:grin: Although neither of my parents had a "Greek" nose, somehow I got one...
it's basically the nose on the goddess with a flower garland on her hair, although it's not quite as long. It's moderately high rooted I guess you could say, absolutely straight, no bumps or curves, no dip down at the bottom. The only thing is, I don't know if their noses were the same width all the way down. My nose is narrow at the top and wider at the base. From the front it sort of looks like this:
I've seen pictures of Carice Van Hooten in profile, though, and she doesn't have that "Greek" thing going on with the root.

I think, the important element for a Greek nose is not only high rooted but also very parallel to the forehead. Nose look almost vertical. Very high root makes a tall bridge at nasal bone and makes it look very vertical.
illus05.jpg

On other spectrum of verticality is Stalin. Very high root, nose and forehead parallel to each other, but angle is off the vertical a lot. It doesn't look Greek to me.

images

Emperor constantin was hal Illyrian. He has an interesting profile. Neither a Greek nose, nor Roman. Forehead is very vertical but his nose bridge is at almost 45% angle off vertical.
Could this be a Illyrian nose?

ConstantineBustCapitolinirgtbgtrb.jpg

I found his father Constantius Chlorus.
Ks.Constantius%20Chlorus.jpg

Definitely a dinaric beak found today in Balkans.

Seuthes 3rh, king of Thrace, 4th century BC (Bulgaria).
brhed-svt.jpg

Not very Greek, neither Dinaric.

Ancient Egyption.
431px-Nefertiti_altes_Museum2.jpg
2028049_f260.jpg
Dynasty%204%20Statue%20of%20Memi%20and%20Sabu%202.jpg

Seuthes 3rh, king of Thrace, 4th century BC (Bulgaria).
brhed-svt.jpg

Not very Greek, neither Dinaric.

Oh we can definitely relate to this....how interesting :)

These are not the best profile pics but here it goes.
my nose
mont san michele.jpgdad2.jpgDads nose :)

there have been surely some neat tendancies among ancient people - today (as for other features) we find in every country different shapes of nose -
very often the eye can catch differences in shapes but when we try to put them in categories we find some hard work:
simple explanation: the nose is maybe the part of body where the most numerous alleles are involved, controlling bones, muscles, cartilages, and so, even a simple 2 patterns mix can create a lot of different shapes among descendants since the second generation: if it's uneasy to find a "pure" ethnic nose, nose is a good mean to devine crossings we cannot find so easily in other partos of body and head - that said, some common shapes can be associated to some phenotypes as for other features because the forms are not evenly distributed among countries and ethnies - (Askhenazes are very unlevel concerning noses)
some kinds of typical "armenian" or "saoudian" noses appears to me as the result of a crossing-over where a short 'cro-magnoid' bony nose (jutting and broad and with short aperture in crania) is associated to a long 'dorsum' less jutting (one of the 'mediterranean' types), and a turned-down beaked tip, with "perturbated" nostrils apertures due to the opposite tendancies of a high placed back side and a lower placed anterior side of nostrils: this nose is "dysharmonic" as well in profile as at frontal sight (too broad at the top-middle, too broad at nostrils but too tiny at tip) - different from some classical 'convex' noses wihich are regular enough, tiny all the way and "harmonic" -
as a whole a crossing-over result in a population is not completely stable and is chalenged by other results of the same crossing-over' action it can become relatively stabel for generations and become the dominent feature in a previously small population or a clanic one, by drift
the Depardieu tip I think was common too among 'cromagnoids' but among them more 'jump-up' and on a shorter nose - just my thought "à vue de nez" as we say in french!

Assyrian nose was high root, tall bridge and rounded tip. Often tip pointing down.
Assyrian%20Merchant%20head%20large.jpg

priest.jpg

AS-028_A.jpg

poor-guy.jpg

ok
he has a Dutch name,

but where we can classiffy him,

van+cleef+1.jpg

ok
he has a Dutch name,

but where we can classiffy him,

van+cleef+1.jpg

Definitaly Near Eastern/Mediterranean type. I wonder were these hi curved nostrils, exposing a lot of columella are most common?
4346554681_2db301ee67.jpg

Exposed columella type noses. Columella is low and nostrils curved up.
fig14.jpg
13-slightly-hanging-columella-notching.jpg

Here we have nostrils at normal place but columella hanging low.

p38_front2.jpg

Here columella is in normal place but nostrils are curved high.

nose%205c.jpg

Emparor Augustus and his lookalike

augustus.jpg

luka-modric-Croatie.jpg

Same nose type, mouth, facial bone structure, and head shape

Alpine-dinaric

big straight high rooted nose
150127PostgamePacersmp4-3502729-6.576x324.jpg

Rudez150114f4v-3490988-7.576x324.jpg

@Dalmat
He does indeed look like Augustus.

@El Horsto
The Yamnaya man does look a lot more like Caligula than like Carlsen

@LeBrok
I also think that Cate Blanchett's nose profile is close to the classical Greek one, at least as exemplified in the first goddess statue (the one with a flower garland). Of course, her eyes and mouth are off, but you can't see that very well in profile.

The actress in The Outlander series, Catriona Balfe, also has an approximation of it, I think:
nxvvwp.jpg

A lot of famous actors, particularly those of a prior era, had a high rooted, prominent, straight, but slightly shorter nose. My father had this kind of nose, although slightly smaller.

The Barrymore's were famous for it.

John Barrymore, with the Columbella thing going on, as well:
johnbarrymoreportrait.jpg

John Gilbert:
John+Gilbert+Profile.png

Gregory Peck also had an approximation of it. The actual profile pictures are too large to post, but you can see it here too, I think:
Gregory-Peck---1955.jpg

Lord Byron had that nose too, and Wordsworth as well, although with Wordsworth there seems to be a bit more of a Roman thing going on, with a slight bump at the bridge:

lord-byron.jpg

wwordswo.jpg

Some more modern actors have a sort of indented root, high and bumpy bridged and long nose. I think you can find that in the ancient Greeks and Romans as well.

Charlton Heston:
Charlton_Heston_-_1961_hearing.jpg

Meryl Streep:
afi2010inside009.jpg

This thread has been viewed 347001 times.

Back