Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

Marlon Brando's sort of looks like the one of the half Illyrian emperor.
mature-brando.jpg

The great Ingmar Bergman's has a strangely "Assyrian" (?) look to it:
Ingmar-Bergman.jpg

As does Peter Stormare's:
MV5BOTUyMDQ0MTEyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDYxMDkz._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

This is the classic and famous profile of Greta Garbo...long and prominent, but tilted upwards:
Greta-Garbo-greta-garbo-6348954-500-800.jpg

They're totally different from that of Liv Ullman:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3181/3115504952_9358656f57_b.jpg

Last edited:
I doubt its genetic value

my father looks like maleth nose and mine like john barrymore ( post 59 )

Are you implying that all your genes come from your father only, or that the noses come only from a father side?

Lord Byron had that nose too, and Wordsworth as well, although with Wordsworth there seems to be a bit more of a Roman thing going on, with a slight bump at the bridge:

Some more modern actors have a sort of indented root, high and bumpy bridged and long nose. I think you can find that in the ancient Greeks and Romans as well.

Charlton Heston:

Meryl Streep:

Perhaps, hollywood perceived a manly face to look more classical way back, than it does today, the metro man style look, often with soft features?

big straight high rooted nose
150127PostgamePacersmp4-3502729-6.576x324.jpg

Wow, that's a king of noses!

Reminds me of Stalin profile, though the guy has more classical nostrils. Stalin's columella shows.
0020n099.jpg

Emparor Augustus and his lookalike

augustus.jpg

luka-modric-Croatie.jpg

Same nose type, mouth, facial bone structure, and head shape

Alpine-dinaric
Now, this is a very close likeness. Even the lips, chin, brows, shape of head are the same. Can we say reincarnation?

Bonaparte also had quite a beak.
images

Perhaps, hollywood perceived a manly face to look more classical way back, than it does today, the metro man style look, often with soft features?

Actors (and actresses) today are often not really classically beautiful, not like in the days of the big Hollywood studios, when both men and women were picked for their beauty and were often then trained to act. I do think that there's also a trend today for actors to be chosen for their appeal to very young girls because that's the market for a lot of movies, and so they do have softer, less "masculine" faces.

For me, none of the actors today have the masculine beauty of Gregory Peck (posted above), or, as below, Gary Cooper or Cary Grant or Clark Gable. Those were the biggest grossing male stars of their era.

Gary Cooper:
gary_cooper_483_511x.jpg

Cary Grant:
Cary-Grant-TR-Devlin.jpg

Picture-36.jpg

The only one I can think of today is Hugh Jackman. Brad Pitt was very pretty when he was young, but not masculine enough looking for my taste, and he hasn't aged very well.
hugh-jackman-488x370_0.jpg

Brad Pitt when young:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-j0VLlwTUS9Q/TqUiXPP2WCI/AAAAAAAAEGs/Kwx8kDXxAho/s1600/BradPittFace2.JPG

there is NO other part of body giving so much genetic imput traces, at the opposite: nose is almost entirely genetic, escaping the most of selection pressure
what is puzzling in it is this richness of involved genes in it, in fact - a 2 parent "races" crossing give an homogenous enough result at first generation, with surely some dominant traits which don't give a "middle result" for every criteria of shape, but in subsequent generation of the same crossing, this richness of imputs give way to an almost inclassible profusion of forms - for only 2 ligneages -and as in Europe at least 3 or 4 great lignages are envolved we have no possibility to find an homogenous population for noses - only some statistical tendancies when some ligneage is very dominant in the mix - so some countries as Finland show a bit more concave nose with a snub tip, or Armenia and Levant show a bit more convex noses, and yet, not the same roots etc... it would be too long to go into details here, and I can no more post pictures, for an unkown reason...

Actors (and actresses) today are often not really classically beautiful, not like in the days of the big Hollywood studios, when both men and women were picked for their beauty and were often then trained to act. I do think that there's also a trend today for actors to be chosen for their appeal to very young girls because that's the market for a lot of movies, and so they do have softer, less "masculine" faces.

The classical example of that soft look is Leonardo DiCaprio who was a much bigger star back when he had very soft "feminine" features. One film critic said that in the Titanic movie DiCaprio looked like a fourteen year old lesbian.

Ashton Kutcher is a classical Greek.
ashton_kutcher_profile_face_hd-wallpaper-58650.jpg

anglosaxonbust.jpg

When seen from the front the model for the David had a little bit of a Roman thing going on, but definitely in the same family.
David_Face_Eyes.jpg

This is Antinous, the lover of the Emperor Hadrian, and considered the most beautiful person of his time...
Corbis-DE006468.jpg

6884866544_0b33cb857d_z.jpg

By this standard, Kushner's nose is a little short, but certainly in the same ball park.

Strangely, the actresses who came to mind who I posted were Anglo ones. The only modern Italian actress who comes to mind is the Sardinian actress Caterina Murino, and even hers isn't perfect from the side.
92e04091bc9a8c1e51521d31ae28736a.jpg

Aptly enough, Irene Papas had it:
tumblr_lvcsafRLSd1qzsjsdo1_1280.png

Maybe Margareth Madè has it;I can't tell bkz I can't find a really good profile picture:
margareth-made-profile.jpg

I only just noticed it, but Kate Middleton's is good at the root, but the base is too pug and upturned.
article-2270453-173C3E15000005DC-972_306x423.jpg

Eva Green? There's a little bump, though...and a bit of an upward tilt, although I don't know if it's bkz of surgery.
54fa2d76ab0951a721f58858fed12573.jpg

Carice Van Houten's is pretty good in this photo, I think...
Second_Sons_Melisandre.png

Ed. Oh, I thought of one...Alba Rohrwacher, but in profile the root is a little depressed.
Alba-Rohrwacher-106.jpg

_69247083_einsteingettyafp.jpg

men%20people%20actors%20clive%20owen%20faces%203744x2808%20wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_60.jpg

Daniel%20Craig_ee4e18dd982ae2dadc6d506f1e9e72a5.jpg

Any ideas where it dominates?

Within non-Africans, it is one of the characteristics of Arabs and related groups (other semites and Arab admixtures). In many Americans, it can be explained by part-African ancestry.

A downward pointed nose alone cannot indicate ethnicity. You must look at the shape of it. For the central one, it looks Ashkenazi because of its fleshy tip, and because its nostril flare is towards the front. The first and third ones are hard to determine, but I've seen many people with the third nose in Iranic groups.

A downward pointed nose alone cannot indicate ethnicity. You must look at the shape of it. For the central one, it looks Ashkenazi because of its fleshy tip, and because its nostril flare is towards the front. The first and third ones are hard to determine, but I've seen many people with the third nose in Iranic groups.
Today people are very mixed and all type of noses can happen everywhere. All we can see is frequency of some features on statistical bases. In the future though, once we learn haw to recognize fleshy parts of body from DNA, we should be able to reconstruct where the different looks, noses included, came from. It will be so much fun to see how it happened. It will be like rewinding the movie, going back to the future, and see how the flared nostrils came about, or a hooked nose. We will be able to exactly reconstruct ancient faces and whole bodies, and see people "in person", who lived 5,000 years ago.

Within non-Africans, it is one of the characteristics of Arabs and related groups (other semites and Arab admixtures). In many Americans, it can be explained by part-African ancestry.

I must be misunderstanding you. This is an SSA nose.
2aaiseq.jpg

_80475186_80475185.jpg

It bears absolutely no resemblance to Einstein's, nor to "Semitic" noses.

One is tropics adapted, the other is not.

If anything, flat noses in Europe are Siberian, East Asian related.

I must be misunderstanding you. This is an SSA nose.
2aaiseq.jpg

_80475186_80475185.jpg

It bears absolutely no resemblance to Einstein's, nor to "Semitic" noses.

One is tropics adapted, the other is not.

If anything, flat noses in Europe are Siberian, East Asian related.

I was talking about the rounded fleshy tip. And I didn't say it was in all of them, just that it was an indicator trait of Arab/African (or related group) ancestry.
Such as this.

Leaders-gather-for-Arab-League-summit-in-Iraq-OJ176BS5-x-large.jpg
Iraqi (Arab)

kanye-west-pics.jpg
Kanye West (African)

721168079.jpg
Sephardi Jew (Semite)

1260.jpg
South Indian (Y-DNA J3 present, MtDNA U8 present, ancestrally related to Semites)

http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-g...850/680/GDeichmann-Portraits-Countries198.jpg
Australian Aborigine (did not undergoe many facial structure mutations since leaving Africa)

Attachments

• spanish_people__3__by_dincturk-d5ilkz3.jpg
    spanish_people__3__by_dincturk-d5ilkz3.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 29

This thread has been viewed 348713 times.

Back