Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

Now South Indians are Semites??? Is this the result of the Stormfront School of Physical Anthropology?

Then I guess Scandinavians are SSA. Just look at the noses...

CJiVJ.jpg

509771.jpg

liv.jpg

Even the Brits can get into the act:

Wayne+Rooney+Jr+Welterweight+Fight+Ricky+Hatton+MBGWOkduFBel.jpg

Has the absurdity of this claim been sufficiently demonstrated?

Now South Indians are Semites??? Is this the result of the Stormfront School of Physical Anthropology?

CJiVJ.jpg

509771.jpg

liv.jpg

Have you noticed that mtDNA K is a descendant of U8, which is in southern India. Also, only J2 and J1 are outside of India (strongly associated with Semitic and nearby populations). J3 is within India. It would be foolish to say that populations with high concentrations of these haplogroups do not share common ancient ancestry with south Indians.

Plus, those people's noses aren't really "fleshy". The first one is rounded, but flat, with a short bridge, and no downward slope. The third one is fleshy and downward sloping, but that is not surprising for an "Ullman". The fourth one has an Irish nose, which looks similar to an African nose, but has a concave slope. It is in its own unique class.

Today people are very mixed and all type of noses can happen everywhere. All we can see is frequency of some features on statistical bases. In the future though, once we learn haw to recognize fleshy parts of body from DNA, we should be able to reconstruct where the different looks, noses included, came from. It will be so much fun to see how it happened. It will be like rewinding the movie, going back to the future, and see how the flared nostrils came about, or a hooked nose. We will be able to exactly reconstruct ancient faces and whole bodies, and see people "in person", who lived 5,000 years ago.

I hope to be able to do research on the effects of genes on nose shape very soon. I just need to find a proffesor willing to take me under their wings.

I hope to be able to do research on the effects of genes on nose shape very soon. I just need to find a professor willing to take me under their wings.
I wish you the best in this endeavor. :)

Sub Saharan Africa have variety of noses. Flat nose was common on West Coast where the most slaves were coming from in colonial times. East cost have smaller noses.
9k=

Ethiopian noses could have been influenced by migrations from Near East as their lighter skin tone might suggest, or maybe Near Easterners came from this region thousands years ago giving start to Natufians?
ethiopian_faces_1_by_citizenfresh-d5gxqxy.jpg

Lebrok can you recognize my ethnicity ? i have been told i look Jewish :))) sorry if that sounds racist

My nose is most similar to the following examples (posted so far in this thread):

Emperor Constantine / Meryl Streep / Charlton Heston / Richard Armitage / Wordsworth

By the way, this thread is very much about noses, but not so much about ethnicity.

Not only ethnicity of individuals posted is not mentioned (apart from some cases), but also to really describe ethnic patterns of nose shapes, we would need to have some statistical data based on large representative samples, not just cherry-picked examples.

Anyway, a very nice nose appreciation thread. Indeed my nose appreciates too, snif, snif.

======================================

I must add at least one brick to this wall of noses:

"Portrait of Dogmatius, the confidant of the emperor Constantine":

http://ancientrome.ru/art/artworken/img.htm?id=781

0009.jpg

My nose is most similar to the following examples (posted so far in this thread):

Emperor Constantine / Meryl Streep / Charlton Heston / Richard Armitage / Wordsworth

By the way, this thread is very much about noses, but not so much about ethnicity.

Not only ethnicity of individuals posted is not mentioned (apart from some cases), but also to really describe ethnic patterns of nose shapes, we would need to have some statistical data based on large representative samples, not just cherry-picked examples.

Anyway, a very nice nose appreciation thread. Indeed my nose appreciates too, snif, snif.

Europe is rich in shapes and sizes of noses. It is rather a daunting task to attached a nose to any ethnicity. We can only notice trends and slow changes when traveling through Europe in any direction, but the same types of noses can be found everywhere. That's because European population is a construct of 3 major ancient population mixes, not mentioning sporadic migrations and invaders from far away.
When I started this thread I thought I was going to be able to pinpoint few noses with their ethnicities, but it didn't work out.
The very interesting part will happen in the future, when we can reconstruct faces, with noses included, once we learn how to read DNA from ancient corpses. Then we should be able to figure out with what population certain nose came to Europe.

0009.jpg

I was mainly just having fun with it. I'm probably a big offender in not posting the ethnicity of the people, mostly because I thought people would know them and their place of origin. Also, the American and Australian actors I posted are of mixed ethnicites, although we know that Clark Gable, for example, had a lot of southern German ancestry, while Cary Grant was totally British in ancestry (Bristol, I think.)

As LeBrok said, I don't think you can tie one nose shape to one region in Europe, although some may be more common in some regions than in others.

The men you mentioned all have strong, masculine noses. Richard Armitage's and Wordsworth's are very elegant as well. I approve. :)

Quite a handsome nose on Dogmatius as well, although his eyes are set too close together, and the expression the artist has given them is very unpleasant, as is the set of the mouth.

I used to be told quite often by my friends that I looked like a dark haired Meryl Streep. I sort of see it, but my nose in profile is really different, much more high rooted, no dip down at the end, and definitely no bumps. Those give character to a man's face, I think, but not so becoming on a woman. I unfortunately didn't get my mother's high cheekbones, either. Just my opinion, of course. Tastes differ.

CJiVJ.jpg

509771.jpg

liv.jpg

I fell on this thread by hazard and did not read it in its whole
I agree these simplistic classifications are the mark of very bad and biased pseudo-anthropology
I have absolUtlely no element to prove it but I think paleolithic and even mesolithic Europeans had tendencies towards this fleshy part of noses, primitive for me - in the chronological meaning, not the intellectual one - a not already evolved form towards more typical europeanlike shapes, and a shape which shared more or less common traits with African and east-Asian shapes, whatever the differences in NASAL BONES SHAPES/ I would say: "archaïc" - the "borreby' types seem to me having this fleshy shape spite their bony structure of nose is very different from the SSA and even the east-Asian ones.
&:always this confusion between ancient Sourhwest-Aasian types and the today relatively modern crossings in some Arabic regions...

I think the more "typical" noses among Europeans are not the fact of relatively "pure" lignages but at the contrary the result of crossings producing very surprising shapes sometime not caused by the same genetic background when closely studied: - helped by crossings over - and, by the action of genetic dominance, giving way to statistically common ENOUGH shapes taken by someones as typical for a phenotype, what they are not for the most. Very often these populations showed in smaller number opposed shapes of noses. by example some are high rooted, other are not - - some flaring nostrils relatively high placed in long downwards tippednoses seem the result of crossing between some kind of 'cromagnoid' nose - protuding and broad at the same time, but under a depression under glabella - with a kind of "mediterranean' nose, straighter but longer (this crossing could be common among some Armenians by instance?)

Moesan, do you mean Armenian as in this?
15af006ecad7778a60ad620e5280f842.jpg

Or as in this?
image.jpg

This one seems similar to the visual just above.
Armenoid_Lebanese.jpg

Or is it this?
p42f3.jpg

This seems like Meryl Streep's nose; just bigger.

If the anthropologists could agree at least about the more common types in an area, however they were originally formed, it would increase credibility.

I think from a skull we can learn only about the upper part of a nose. How high is the root and an angle of a nose to a face. We have no idea how the fleshy parts looked like or if a nose was straight or not. The good news is that we should be able to read this, and about the whole face, from DNA very soon.

Would you say that this video has a good, representative sample of Irish male noses?:

Would you say that this video has a good, representative sample of Irish male noses?:
I guess when we see so many Irish people, as in this video, we will get pretty good representation of their noses. The next step would be to statistically measure prevalence of certain type. We would learn which nose is more common and call it "Irish".

he looks like a tyolese or swiss person

I'm still watching "Une Village Francaise", and it occurred to me I have another pretty good one for the Greek nose. It's not perfect, but pretty close.

Fabrizio Rongione:

fabrizio_rongione.jpg

He should play Napoleon; I think he looks a lot like him, even if he's darker skinned and has brown eyes.

3yuhhrfvf1qxqvxf.jpg

Bonapart-Napoleon.jpg

Emperor constantin was hal Illyrian. He has an interesting profile. Neither a Greek nose, nor Roman. Forehead is very vertical but his nose bridge is at almost 45% angle off vertical.
Could this be a Illyrian nose?

ConstantineBustCapitolinirgtbgtrb.jpg

I found his father Constantius Chlorus.
Ks.Constantius%20Chlorus.jpg

Definitely a dinaric beak found today in Balkans.
By his face he look like a tall man too,great many of such individuals to be found in Balkans,well especialy around the place he was born.
That's Gentius Illyrian king pretty similar appearance with the father of Constantine.
220px-Gentius.jpg

This thread has been viewed 347005 times.

Back