Recognizing ethnicity by the nose.

I will oblige:

DaVinci’s Lady with the Ermine
b4.jpg

Compare to Flora.

d2e72daf3e4ab109960e4da6a7e15e93.jpg

I think why these prominent figures have a mix between the Roman bump and the Grecian nose is due to testosterone. Have no proof to back it up but intuitively that's what I think.

From the picture of the most beautiful man according to ancient Greeks you can see that there is a certain bump, it is not a straight Grecian nose:

"Antinous, the lover of Hadrian, was considered the most beautiful man of his time"

1200px-Antinous_Mondragone_Louvre_Ma1205_n3.jpg

Michelangelo's David

david-nose-detail.jpg

7d23f8e32c0453d41022004ba7002980.jpg

Caesar

julius_caesar.jpg

Alexander

160415-oconnor-greek-art-tease_crwhgp

Skanderbeg

48675082478_bf76da4857_b.jpg

I think all these figures have a hybrid nose between Grecian and Roman, straight/concave in men with a bump, as I said my guess is testosterone in men makes the Flora nose have a bump.

Even DaVinci had a similar nose aparently.

images

Here is Micheangelo himself.
b68b48ded608ce7fe511532f8f8e1626.jpg

Would love your guys opinion, weather testosterone can affect the bump on the nose, so as to create a hybrid between the Grecian nose and Roman nose in men.

Keep in mind that in the idealized nose of the Greek sculptors, whether in men or women, there’s no break or dip at all at the eyes. Look at Antinous: it’s a straight line from the forehead through the top of the nose. I’ve never seen that in realistic Roman busts of real people and rarely afterwards. It’s rarely seen anywhere, which leads me to wonder if it really existed in any great numbers.

Keep in mind that in the idealized nose of the Greek sculptors, whether in men or women, there’s no break or dip at all at the eyes. Look at Antinous: it’s a straight line from the forehead through the top of the nose. I’ve never seen that in realistic Roman busts of real people and rarely afterwards. It’s rarely seen anywhere, which leads me to wonder if it really existed in any great numbers.

I agree. To me it is more noticeable on the female statues, this case Flora, the straight line. Because I am pretty sure I have seen people having similar nose forehead line to Antinous. It is certainly idealized. But it is not like on his bust you can take a ruler and run it to the tip of his nose from the top of his forehead. While on the Flora statue I can see a ruler going from her forehead to the tip of the nose.

But yeah I agree. Doubt it was ubiquitous.
Just based on anecdotes I see a lot of similarity for example between the Ceasar nose and the Napoleon one. Even George Washington for that matter. Or for the matter any of the pictures I posted. It is like you synthesized the Roman bump with the thin, more often concave line in men of the Grecian nose.

The fact that the bust of Antinous bares such similarity with death masks (in this case Washington, Napoleon) certainly is not a coincidence. Is it ubiquitous over such a huge geographical location, most certainly not.

Look up the profile of Minerva but also of Apollo.

It even appears as late as in The Statue of Liberty.

I have no proof but my hunch is that it was an idealization and an artistic convention.

There are women who have that Roman bump although I don’t, nor did my mother. Just look up pictures of Meryl Streep in profile, though.

There are men who don’t have it either like Gabriele Garko.

When I speak about the Flora nose being common in certain areas of Italy I mean the Modified Flora nose, with a slight indent at the eyes, and then long and straight.

in case someone was wondering here is the nose from before
a2b962.jpg

1200px-Pascal_Couchepin%2C_2009.jpg

it's Pascal Couchepin former swiss Bundesrat.

a2b962.jpg

Well he would definitely have fooled me. Just goes to show you can’t tell the ethnicity of a person from a nose although you may be able to tell the general part of the world where the nose originated.

a2b962.jpg

Is that a politician? Don't know why I get that feeling. LOL

So do I get any points? :D

Well he would definitely have fooled me. Just goes to show you can’t tell the ethnicity of a person from a nose although you may be able to tell the general part of the world where the nose originated.

Might not be able to tell ethnicity... but my spider senses/intuition sure got the profession right. :D

Norwegian author Sven Moren:

b67px7r.jpg

He is from Trysil, Norway. I am not sure how to determine it.

Another author from the same town, Einar Skjæraasen, whose nose is much different.

p59rHLM.jpg

First one reminds me of Tesla, second one of Camus.

Anyone wants to take a guess at this individuals nose?

LAmFOoK.png

ayHuOxP.png

Lets see if anybody gets it right.

Norwegian author Sven Moren:

b67px7r.jpg

He is from Trysil, Norway. I am not sure how to determine it.

Another author from the same town, Einar Skjæraasen, whose nose is much different.

p59rHLM.jpg

ArchetypeOne wrote that he looks quite like Tesla...definitely. He looks also a lot like my father and has some features that my family from his side has. They come from an area in Croatia maybe some 100 km north from Tesla's birthplace.

First one reminds me of Tesla, second one of Camus.
Anyone wants to take a guess at this individuals nose?
LAmFOoK.png

ayHuOxP.png

Lets see if anybody gets it right.
That looks like Hitler's nose.

That looks like Hitler's nose.

Indeed. Well done (y). :clap:

Edit: Forgot to post pictures the snipets are from.

tumblr_inline_o4g9ck5nPH1swnhrn_540.jpg

profile-portrait-of-german-nazi-leader-adolf-hitler-30th-january-1939-picture-id79664996

How would you classify it?

Indeed. Well done (y). :clap:

Edit: Forgot to post pictures the snipets are from.

tumblr_inline_o4g9ck5nPH1swnhrn_540.jpg

profile-portrait-of-german-nazi-leader-adolf-hitler-30th-january-1939-picture-id79664996

How would you classify it?

Not too sure actually, in how to describe it. I knew it was him, because I recently looked up his picture to see what kind of nose he had.

Great Roman bump on Sven Moren’s nose I think; attractive man.

What an ugly profile Hitler had. Nothing wrong with the nose itself; my dad had a jutting wedge shaped nose like that too. It’s that it slants upward at the bottom and the forehead is so ugly.

Take it back a little. It looks level in the second picture

In the first half of the twentieth century people swooned over the profile of the great actor John Barrymore; one of the closest imo to the classic Greek noses of ancient statuary.

He was so proud of it that practically every picture is of his profile

I take it back. I didn't remember Barrymore's nose correctly. There's a definite dip at the eyes. Still a beautiful nose and beautiful profile.

Tux00c.jpg

eabe4a3506277736e63c46afee035e13.jpg

Another gorgeous, classic profile: Elvis Presley. In some pictures it almost looks perfectly Grecian, but in others you can see the slight dip.

9d3cc5868caea08b36314ed865ba90a7.jpg

elvis-presley-side-profile-photo-retro-images-archive.jpg

You really can't tell ethnicity by the nose.

This is Neville Chamberlain. The nose looks Semitic to me, yet he was a proper English upper class gentlemen.

Neville-Chamberlain.jpg

Ironically, Oswald Mosley, head of the English fascist party also had that type of nose. Whatever did Hitler think of it? :)
oswald-mosley-1896-1980-english-facist-leader-in-1953-c86an2.jpg

Mussolini's nose was much more like Hitler's. The ironies and absurdities of "racial typology".

7058224-3x2-940x627.jpg

This is Neville Chamberlain. The nose looks Semitic to me, yet he was a proper English upper class gentlemen.

Neville-Chamberlain.jpg

Ironically, Oswald Mosley, head of the English fascist party also had that type of nose. Whatever did Hitler think of it? :)
oswald-mosley-1896-1980-english-facist-leader-in-1953-c86an2.jpg

Mussolini's nose was much more like Hitler's. The ironies and absurdities of "racial typology".

7058224-3x2-940x627.jpg

You are correct here is my uncle( brother of my father)

Roman nose( bump than straight)
https://i.imgur.com/MpqXXDC.jpg

7058224-3x2-940x627.jpg

I disagree for a part.
common stereotypes are not scientific types which themselves cannot be confused with true well achieved "races", even if the concept of "race" could be discussed even for animals.
In my conception types are tries to construct an ideal phenotype which could correspond to some elementary subpopulation in a global mixed one, subpopulation supposed to have lived independantly some times before to took part in the mix, and whose the input could be weighted more or less precisely. It's a risky sport but not without interest. It is based upon states, but not global states concerning a whole pop, where the means don't give too much clues sometimes concerning the making of the mix; that said it requires some other pops less mixed where a type dominates more so that the global mean is closer to the type means. I avow the results are often disappointing, and the "scientists" who competed on the field in past have been more often rather bad! But the metrics method of comparing global means of measures without a bit of typology can confuse us very well and pass over precious details, among them the features rarely accutely reflected by the battery of measures taken.
the nose, as the mouth, more than the mouth, mirrors the mixings very well, so it's very rare to have a "pure type" nose (the more numerous the alleles in cause, the less unity in the pop). That said, among 'europoids' there are some clear tendancies, even if never completely homogenous.
That said, in this thread, we are doing cherry picking, even the ones who are opposed to it as a rule. Chamberlain and others may not be taken as model for their population. And I think there is not everytime ONE gene for say "convex" nose, or "concave" nose or "winding" nose or "beaky nose" or any other case, to take only one aspect. some convex nose can be the homozygotic result of an allele, other convex noses can be the result of an heterozygotic association; sure they are not exactly the same noses, but they will be classified generally as "convex noses". But in nose we have the bones association, the cartilages one, the flesh one, without to speak of the connexion glabella/superior nose bridge.
Some crossings of basic types can produce at the idividual level close enough results spite they are not formed by the very same basic types.
&: this plurifactors construction of the nose makes that every pop shows diverse variants of features, even brothers and sisters what doesn't exclude that some forms prevail in certain pops.

This thread has been viewed 347579 times.

Back