haplogroup mt H4a

I just received my 23andMe results as well and I am H4a. I live in the US and my mother was adopted so I know very little on her side. My results came back as:
99.5% European
50.2% Ashkenazi Jewish
34.2% NW European - 22.6% Scandinavian, 5.5% British & Irish, 6.2% Broadly European
10.5% Eastern European
0.3% Southern European - 0.3% Broadly S. European
4.3% Broadly European
0.5% East Asian & Native American
<0.1% Sub-Saharan African
MtDNA H4a

I don't talk to my father and all my grandparents have passed away but of course I can only assume the same of my mothers birth parents.
I'm just pretty much digging around looking for information to expand what I have found.
I do know that the genetic disease gene, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, that I carry (MZ) most likely came from my mother's Scandinavian side. It was originally most prevalent there. I also have Leri's Disease/Melorheostosis in my foot but due to its rarity they haven't made any genetic connections although many sufferers have multiple family members with it.
So, I suppose that is my story.
I'm glad to have found a bit of information here and I hope we find more as a team!

Hi everyone,

I'm from North-East Algeria, from a city called Jijel along the mediterranean sea, and my mtDNA haplogroup has just been tested as H4a1a by FTDNA.

I've spent the day searching for its origins and its history, but found nothing, except that it is very rare and spread all over Europe and the Near East, but it's rare everywhere ..

I'm just like all of you, searching for some information about H4.
Hi Jijel, have you joined the ftdna project? It is probably our best chance of tracking ourselves back! Judith

I just received my 23andMe results as well and I am H4a. I live in the US and my mother was adopted so I know very little on her side. My results came back as:
99.5% European
50.2% Ashkenazi Jewish
34.2% NW European - 22.6% Scandinavian, 5.5% British & Irish, 6.2% Broadly European
10.5% Eastern European
0.3% Southern European - 0.3% Broadly S. European
4.3% Broadly European
0.5% East Asian & Native American
<0.1% Sub-Saharan African
MtDNA H4a

I don't talk to my father and all my grandparents have passed away but of course I can only assume the same of my mothers birth parents.
I'm just pretty much digging around looking for information to expand what I have found.
I do know that the genetic disease gene, Alpha-1 Antitrypsin Deficiency, that I carry (MZ) most likely came from my mother's Scandinavian side. It was originally most prevalent there. I also have Leri's Disease/Melorheostosis in my foot but due to its rarity they haven't made any genetic connections although many sufferers have multiple family members with it.
So, I suppose that is my story.
I'm glad to have found a bit of information here and I hope we find more as a team!

Hi wickedwise
You mother is adopted but you do have Scandinavian too so was she adopted locally in Scandinavia?
Are you Ashkenazy on your father’s side?You will be sure that the ethnicity suggested is true because you will have many 1000s of 3-5th cousins.
23&me have many interest groups some of which are on the health aspects and maybe one of your inherited diseases may be a topic too. The only way the actual part of the gene which causes each disease get identified is by lots of people testing. Between us we hold many of the answers if we but knew it! If your interests are not a group there then form one. As you say it must be genetic when it runs in families. Hope you find more insight in it all.

wickedwise is without a speck of doubt half Ashkenazi. 23andme is the best at finding Ashkenazi patterns.

Hi am Casey I did the 23andme DNA test my maternal haplogroup was H4a I have 36% French and German mine said it was traced back to Marie Antoinette and Coprenicus.

We share the same group. My family emigrated from England in 1840's as Mormons who later settled in the West, some in Utah. I live in Florida. There are still descendants here, in Utah, Michigan. It may have been that Mormons also settled in New Zealand. I have been to New Zealand several times and thoroughly enjoyed it and the people there.

I am HG H4a1, as determined by FTDNA. I have an extensive family tree constructed , and my earliest documented maternal ancestor, the progenitor of my H4a1 line, is Perrine Reau, born c. 1611 in Poitou-Charente, France. I shall investigate the H4 Project at FTDNA.

Hi again RVBlake cousin!

My paternal grandfather's mtDNA HG: H4A1A4B according to the Genographic project. Earliest known mother: Maria Horvath, born 1801 Balkany, Szabolcs county Hungary. Religion: Catholic.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

I’m a Maternal haplogroup H .... traced back to
marie Antoinette, and many other royals including the current Prince Philip
... very cool and exciting .. can’t wait to explore more

Dear Marie-Louise,

we are probably related maternally. My brother is doing genealogical research at the moment and we are H4. In the maternal line he has so far reached Charlotta Ryding who was born in 1848 and her mother Sara Olofsdotter. They lived in Hjälstad, Skaraborgs län. If you are interested I can get back to you when we have reached further down in the maternal line.

H4a1a4b

My mtDNA is H4a1a4b and my maternal line is New Jersey (USA) Quakers who were earlier than the famous Pennsylvania Quakers. They seem to have come from the poor Pennines area of west Yorkshire in England. This area is on the west side of the Danelaw near Jorvik, so a Scandinavian maternal line is consistent. I generally get 1% or 2% Scandinavian in my aDNA and considering my other components, the best fit is also on my maternal line.

May I share info I collected over the years to help some here?

H4 is among the oldest H clades. There
is 60 maximum mutations found so far. "Haplogroup H4 is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. Its age is between 9,100 and 12,100 years (Behar et al., 2012b)..." "Haplogroup H is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. The woman who founded this line lived between 12,100 and 13,600 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b)..." Haplogroup HV is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. The woman who founded this line lived between 19,100 and 24,700 years ago (Behar et al., 2012b)..." "Haplogroup R0 is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. Its age is between 28,900 and 51,100 years (Behar et al., 2012b)." "Haplogroup R is a branch on the maternal tree of human kind. Its age is between 54,400 and 58,600 years (Behar et al., 2012b)."

The origination is Southwestern Asia, otherwise the Arabian Peninsula of Egypt and the Levant; eastern Mediterranean and Riverine coastal fisherman/forager. They migrated along the coast and up rivers into Anatolia and along the coast of Greece, to include the riverines north westerly toward Black Sea and Caspian Sea. Over time, the daughters of R find themselves from West Europe to the Mammoth Steppe of the Ukraine and Russia. As the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) zenith, They took refuge south. Those on the west of Europe took refuge in the Iberian, those of east Europe took refuge toward Anatolia. Those on the Mammoth Steppes took refuge through Georgia between the Caspian and Black Sea, and those easterly took refuge Turkmenistan and Afghanistan. After a couple millennia of thawing beginning around 14,000 BE, the Younger Dryas Catastrophe (10,900-9,600 BCE) hit worse than the LGM. Many people perished and mega fauna became extinct, explaining in simple terms. It was about 8,000 BCE people recovered and began expanding again into the north which now becoming a thickly forested interior of Europe. From the Iberian Peninsula, the migration was along the Atlantic Coast, up rivers and into Doggerland. The Alps and thick interior European forests was one reason for the migration routes. The Neolithic,Chalcolithic andthe following Bronze Age (Bell Beaker Folk), each period was late in the British Isles. Beakers came to the English Channel from the west coast originating on the western Mediterranean coast. Some scholars report the Bell Beaker Folk arise about 3,000 BCE and have connections with Yamnaya pastoralist (2900-1800 BCE) in northern Italy (south of the Alps) bring the horse into Spain about 2,900 BCE. They bring the Bronze Age trade to western Europe replacing the Corded Ware culture and arrive in the British Isles about 2,400 BCE. DNA shows us that the western British Isles and Ireland was populated from the direction of the Atlantic Coast. The Neolithic or farming culture was impeded by the thick forest migrating towards the Baltic Sea. There was a climate change called the Piora Oscillation beginning about 3,900 BCE which was very wet and cold in western Europe, which is not good for standing grain crops. Pardon my digression...

I spent a number of recent years researching my matrilineal H4a1. My ancestral grandmother came from Wales.

I am new here and have recently found out from 23andme that my mtdna haplogroup is the less common one of H4a1a1a. Like others have noted, there is still not much known about this hg. I can offer to post some of my regional results from GEDMATCH or other places, but it would be helpful to know which is the most meaningful ones to do.

I can say so far my earliest known maternal ancestor is my grandmother who was born in the Trier area of Germany in 1912, is culturally and linguistically German. To the best of knowledge my maternal line has been only in Continental Europe with perhaps a recent earlier connection to the alpine region of Europe. I have no known British Isles connection as per paper trail ancestors.

23andme Ancestral Composition:

59.6% French & German
14.3% Broadly NW European
7.7% Eastern European
6.8% Broadly European
3.3% British & Irish (*specifically Argyll and Orkney using GEDMATCH - is this Norse admixture?)
3.2% Italian* (shows up more more in GEDMATCH)
2.4% Broadly Southern European* (shows up more in GEDMATCH)
1% Iberian* (The Iberian shows up somewhat more in deeper GEDMATCH analysis)
0.6% Scandinavian
0.4% Ashkenazi Jewish
0.4% Broadly Asian & North African
0.1% Native American

H4a1a1a is not just British Iles!

Hi Strudel

Many H4a1a1a people are from Uk and Ireland simply because that is where a large numbers of testers come from, plus the USA/Canada/Australia emigration if you have not read the H4 pages on the ftdna mtdna then please see what you think.
The link is https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/mt-dna-h4/about/background
if you want to join there are instructions on the site and in this thread. It does not cost you anything.

The numbers of people from Germany in each sub-clade are on line there.
Gedmatch uses sample populations and Orkney is one of them together with south east England (Kent) so my northern England comes out as a mix of those two.
Eurogenes K13 is good for Europeans and K36 for world http://bga101.blogspot.com/2013/03/eurogenes-k36-at-gedmatch.html
But different calculators help for different groups of people for instance the J test for Ashkenazy Jewish lines.
Have fun, but it is only for fun to learn a bit about our origins.

I am new here and have recently found out from 23andme that my mtdna haplogroup is the less common one of H4a1a1a. Like others have noted, there is still not much known about this hg. I can offer to post some of my regional results from GEDMATCH or other places, but it would be helpful to know which is the most meaningful ones to do.

I can say so far my earliest known maternal ancestor is my grandmother who was born in the Trier area of Germany in 1912, is culturally and linguistically German. To the best of knowledge my maternal line has been only in Continental Europe with perhaps a recent earlier connection to the alpine region of Europe. I have no known British Isles connection as per paper trail ancestors.

23andme Ancestral Composition:

59.6% French & German
14.3% Broadly NW European
7.7% Eastern European
6.8% Broadly European
3.3% British & Irish (*specifically Argyll and Orkney using GEDMATCH - is this Norse admixture?)
3.2% Italian* (shows up more more in GEDMATCH)
2.4% Broadly Southern European* (shows up more in GEDMATCH)
1% Iberian* (The Iberian shows up somewhat more in deeper GEDMATCH analysis)
0.6% Scandinavian
0.4% Ashkenazi Jewish
0.4% Broadly Asian & North African
0.1% Native American

Hi

I'm new here my hapla group is H4a1a4b1. My ancesters I know of where all English origin. So finding my results confusing. Interesting to see others on here with similar dna and find out how we're connected. Not really sure what I'm doing yet with the information but do have detailed family trees available online.

Alison

This thread has been viewed 35078 times.

Back