Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
I feel the need to project a more critical and stern persona, so I am changing my avatar.
grin.png

I've often wondered, but never asked, why do you, as members here, pick certain images for your avatar?

I love your new avatar Angela. This is exactly how I imagined you. :)

Mine have to project a citizen of the world. Does it?

What a good looking woman. My Avatar is probably the most photographed natural land feature on the islands an area called Dwejra (Gozo) also looks stunning with the beating waves. The window will probably collapse in about 50 years time.

I love your new avatar Angela. This is exactly how I imagined you. :)

Mine have to project a citizen of the world. Does it?

It's Atlas holding the whole world on his shoulders, yes? I think it does project that sense of universality, as well as strength and fortitude, which is apt for you, I think, in so far as one can tell such things from internet exchanges.:)

For a number of years I used to pass this sculpture of him every day on the way to work.
Atlas_Statue.jpg

As to my new avatar, I've been told by people who know me well that the picture pretty accurately reflects my persona and style, at least in terms of professional situations. I'm not always so serious and stern, however, not in private life, at least. Well, not until people seriously misbehave!:grin:

Nice picture, Angela, but it does make you look like a rather stern school teacher. I guess that was the look you were going for.

And LeBrok, I do see you as the responsible type who carries heavy burdens.

I chose my avatar because it accurately depicts who I am - a member of an increasingly disadvantaged minority (people with blue eyes). Okay, so maybe blue eyed white people still have a lot of priviledge but we are becoming an increasingly small minority

I chose mine simply because I like the paintings of Waterhouse. I might change it soon however.

Hmm, looks like Monica Belucci in deep conversation.

Wonder whatever happened to Juiia who also used an image of Monica. Seems like posters come and go after a few months or years.

Hmm, looks like Monica Belucci in deep conversation.

Wonder whatever happened to Juiia who also used an image of Monica. Seems like posters come and go after a few months or years.
When we are going to see your avatar Oriental?

It's Atlas holding the whole world on his shoulders, yes? I think it does project that sense of universality, as well as strength and fortitude, which is apt for you, I think, in so far as one can tell such things from internet exchanges.:)

For a number of years I used to pass this sculpture of him every day on the way to work.
Atlas_Statue.jpg

As to my new avatar, I've been told by people who know me well that the picture pretty accurately reflects my persona and style, at least in terms of professional situations. I'm not always so serious and stern, however, not in private life, at least. Well, not until people seriously misbehave!:grin:

My Atlas is standing on my hometown's historic city hall, and I passed it countless times going to school. Here is a funny story. Few years ago he dropped the globe and it fell into the street, but fortunately nobody was harmed. Actually, for me he became humanized, more real, as we all have our bad days and weaknesses.

mine is based on the town's coat of arms which represents where my oldest paternal line originates from.

I might need to change soon to the Tilia Tree

:shocked::startled::confused: Im sorry this guy is only carrying a few circles (probably light aluminum ones!) and taking all the credit that he is carrying the world on his shoulders? e injusto :grin:. In Lebroks avatar you can see the real pain and suffering.

I change my avatar often, if you haven't noticed, depending on my mood and the situation, although they all express some part of my background, interests, or personality. In this particular case, I was being a little humorous...I'm feeling like a lunch room or recess monitor lately, and I think this picture projects the requisite no nonsense attitude:grin:, as well as, I think, a certain critical intelligence.

As for the journalist, I admired her courage in working with the partisans against the Nazis, her intellect, her talent as an interviewer, and her championship of women's rights, even if I didn't fully agree with all of her opinions. She was, in addition, a woman of deep emotional attachments, which I also find admirable. I like to think I have something of those traits, although I have a "softer", more patient and traditional side as well. We're all a complicated mixture of traits, don't you agree?

Mine is of Phileas Fogg, who I thought was a good representation of my chosen user title, "Great Adventurer." I also thought he was a slightly better approximation of my personality than my first avatar, which was Baron Munchausen.

On some other forums I've used portraits of relatives of mine. Rembrandt Peale did a couple of good portraits of my many times great granduncle Thomas Sumter, see here and here. John Opie also did an excellent portrait of a cousin many times removed of mine, see here. But I think I'll stick to Phileas Fogg for now on this forum because I like the "Great Adventurer" title here. It feels like an adventure on this forum with all of the groundbreaking discoveries we're always sharing.

I chose mine simply because I like the paintings of Waterhouse. I might change it soon however.

I love the paintings of the Pre-Raphaelites in general and Waterhouse in particular. For many years I had a framed copy of his painting The Lady of Shalotte. It's such a beautiful combination of sensual energy and moody mystery.

I agree with Aberdeen, it is very sensual painting.

I love the paintings of the Pre-Raphaelites in general and Waterhouse in particular. For many years I had a framed copy of his painting The Lady of Shalotte. It's such a beautiful combination of sensual energy and moody mystery.
I just noticed this post, Aberdeen. I am in good company I see in my liking of Waterhouse and the Pre-Raphaelite artists....:) Have to confess to what many may call irreverence....I`m not so fond of the paintings of the brilliant
Rossetti...they are beautiful but I never could get so much from them as with Waterhouse. What do you think..should I duck about now?...lol..;)

I choose the deer for it's mythological role in Ancient Celtic, Germanic, and Scythian societies (most Indo-European societies, I guess).

I just noticed this post, Aberdeen. I am in good company I see in my liking of Waterhouse and the Pre-Raphaelite artists....:) Have to confess to what many may call irreverence....I`m not so fond of the paintings of the brilliant
Rossetti...they are beautiful but I never could get so much from them as with Waterhouse. What do you think..should I duck about now?...lol..;)

It's probably considered a heretical opinion, but I happen to agree. DG Rossetti was a clever and competent artist who did a good job of explaining the Pre-Raphaelite view of art, and I realize that Waterhouse was a later painter who's described as painting in the style of the Pre-Raphaelites long after the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood broke up. And yet I think the paintings of Waterhouse actually capture that Pre-Raphaelite ideal better than the work of Rossetti or any of the other members of the Brotherhood. And certainly the subjects of his paintings seem to me to be far more alive and more capable of eliciting an emotional reaction than the (in my opinion) beautiful but wooden characters and scenes that Rossetti painted. I feel as if Rossetti thought of a way to bring a new dimension to art (or to revive something that had been lost) but Waterhouse felt those Pre-Raphaelite ideals in his bones.

This thread has been viewed 37346 times.

Back