Italic peoples

I found this interesting map of settlements in Italy, during 350 BC.

Urbanism in Ancient Peninsular Italy: developing a methodology for a database analysis of higher order settlements (350 BCE to 300 CE)

http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue40/2/index.html
tARy19H.jpg

Here's one after Roman colonization. But unfortunately, this is the biggest resolution I could find:

AkcxinJ.jpg

http://archaeologydataservice.ac.uk/archives/view/romurbital_mc_2015/

Great find, Jovialis! This is definitely a keeper, especially when, hopefully, the ancient dna starts coming in...

Great find, Jovialis! This is definitely a keeper, especially when, hopefully, the ancient dna starts coming in...

It would have been more complete if it included Sicily and Sardinia while they were at it :)

With the cost-effectiveness in processing ancient DNA, I'm eagerly anticipating the day it arrives.

I found this interesting map of settlements in Italy, during 350 BC. Urbanism in Ancient Peninsular Italy: developing a methodology for a database analysis of higher order settlements (350 BCE to 300 CE) http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue40/2/index.html
tARy19H.jpg

Thanks for sharing, Jovialis. Is there a list of the names of the settlements in that map? It would be interesting to find it, because many of those settlements did not belong to one civilization, but they go through several phases.

Interesting as 50% of the Etruscan settlements were actually in the north and center of Lazio, with the highest concentration of all Italy there.

I see in Emilia Bologna, Marzabotto and perhaps Monte Bibele or Casalecchio di Reno (I do not understand the third near Bologna what it is exactly but based on the map's position should be Casalecchio) all labeled as Gallic, but until the 4th century BC those were all Villanovan and Etruscan. And Etruscan testimonies also exist in the north-western part of Emilia. Modena (Mutna) was also Etruscan. The other Gallic settlements in Emilia could be Piacenza and Parma?

In the Adriatic side I see labeled as Etruscan (perhaps) Adria, Spina, Verucchio, Cesena and Ravenna, but the Etruscan dots are four. The Gallic dot should a place on the Romagna coast. Which one?

Adria, on the borders between Veneto and Emilia-Romagna, was Etruscan (and not only Etruscan, it was a port) but around the 3rd century BC was likely occupied by the Gauls-Celts. Maybe it's not even on the map, because it could be a little further north.

Spina was one of the few Etruscan settlements there to overcome the Gallic/Celtic invasion of the 4th century BC, and was active until the 2nd century BC.

Verucchio, first Villanovan and then Etruscan, at the end of the 4th century BC is thought that came under the influence or rule of the Umbrians. And a similar fate will have had any nearby settlement, beset by Gauls and Umbrians.

Cesena and Ravenna are thought to be of Etruscan origin because of the name (in particular because of the common suffix -ena), but are there any great testimonies there? I do not think the smoking gun has yet been found. They were certainly (also) Umbrian from a certain point onwards.

One of the most interesting civilizations in central Italy is the Faliscans, of which we do not know enough. They spoke a language similar to Latin, living on the edge of the Etruscan territories, and surrounded by everyone: Etruscans, Umbrians, Sabines, Latins, Aequians. In their cities (Capena, Falerii Novi, Falerii Veteres...) are found both inscriptions in Faliscan and in Etruscan (and the population had both Faliscan and Etruscan names). In one of the Faliscan centers, I do not remember which one, there are more Etruscan inscriptions and for this reason I believe it is labeled as Etruscan in the map.

The situation in Abruzzo is very interesting, showing great internal diversification. Perhaps due also to the type of Abruzzo territory.

Too bad the map does not include Sicily, Sardinia and the rest of northern Italy.

image.jpg

I found this interesting map of settlements in Italy, during 350 BC.

Urbanism in Ancient Peninsular Italy: developing a methodology for a database analysis of higher order settlements (350 BCE to 300 CE)

http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue40/2/index.html
tARy19H.jpg
Well yeah this map is understandable. The Celts where more north even the admixture shows this nowadays. What i find interesting is that so many different groups where close from each other and then the romans took over!
It's a nice easy map

Well yeah this map is understandable. The Celts where more north even the admixture shows this nowadays. What i find interesting is that so many different groups where close from each other and then the romans took over!
It's a nice easy map
Looking at the Map is understandable that a viewer might get the wrong impression. In Reality by that time most tribes were not that different.
Here is an elementary grade generalize quick Info:
Short facts about Italic tribes
“....In the V century, vast majority of tribes were Italics, while Sabine tribes had a special significance. Those were tribes: Umbri, Osci and Latins. At the same time, in the far north and southeast stayed Illyrian people, whose origin was from the Balkans and also they had some other origins like Venetians, Iapyges, etc. …)...”
https://www.shorthistory.org/ancient-civilizations/ancient-rome/short-facts-about-italic-tribes/

It's a nice easy map
Venetic and raetic people never took celtic language but did take some customs like dress and tattooing.........but the illyrians from Austria ( halstatt and Noricum ) did accept fully celtic traits, dress, tattooing ,burial styles from basically the start of the iron-age and where fully celtinized by the time of the roman invasion of the area around 15 BC

Slightly off topic, but how much is known about the Bruttians? Were they an Italic tribe or did they perhaps evolve out of the Oenetrians? Were they primarily a G2a-centered group or R1b-affiliated?

Looking at the Map is understandable that a viewer might get the wrong impression. In Reality by that time most tribes were not that different.
Here is an elementary grade generalize quick Info:
Short facts about Italic tribes
“....In the V century, vast majority of tribes were Italics, while Sabine tribes had a special significance. Those were tribes: Umbri, Osci and Latins. At the same time, in the far north and southeast stayed Illyrian people, whose origin was from the Balkans and also they had some other origins like Venetians, Iapyges, etc. …)...”

Great website which explains the tribes of Italy because they where in one area but due to over population they had to move out a mix in to other tribes, that can explain even the different haplogroups in Italy. But most of them are IE right?? i know the Etruscans was not

Venetic and raetic people never took celtic language but did take some customs like dress and tattooing.........but the illyrians from Austria ( halstatt and Noricum ) did accept fully celtic traits, dress, tattooing ,burial styles from basically the start of the iron-age and where fully celtinized by the time of the roman invasion of the area around 15 BC
Yep that makes sense since the Venetic area did have a Celtic background but there is not much Celtic words in the Venetian language. Hmm what you said reminded of me of a place starting with the letter G....

@Adeof Most of them are IE.
About the Etruscan origins, I don’t know for sure.
Others hopefully can Revise your Statement of the Etruscans not been IE with a certain level of confidence.

You can see where the swamps were around what is now the northeastern Po Valley: no settlements.

Not all that many in Liguria or Toscana either. The major concentration was Lazio and Campania and east from there.

Pax,
In this part of the link there's some language about the "ethnic" assignment being the immediate pre-Roman one.

http://intarch.ac.uk/journal/issue40/2/4-3.html

I've found the complete list of all settlements. Settlements are divided into "certain", "uncertain" and "likely". For a decidedly high number of settlements there are more names of populations ("first attributed people", "second attributed people" ...). Some attributions are questionable. The presence of many gaps in ancient sources obviously does not help much. Very complex work, because of its complexity, the map is likely to be too simplifying.

You can see where the swamps were around what is now the northeastern Po Valley: no settlements.

Not all that many in Liguria or Toscana either. The major concentration was Lazio and Campania and east from there.

In Lazio, Campania, Abruzzo and Puglia there is also the highest number of "centres without known Roman legal status".

I've found the complete list of all settlements. Settlements are divided into "certain", "uncertain" and "likely". For a decidedly high number of settlements there are more names of populations ("first attributed people", "second attributed people" ...). Some attributions are questionable. The presence of many gaps in ancient sources obviously does not help much. Very complex work, because of its complexity, the map is likely to be too simplifying.

In Lazio, Campania, Abruzzo and Puglia there is also the highest number of "centres without known Roman legal status".

Could you post the link? I'd like to take a look.

I found this:

http://classics.uc.edu/apulia/index.html

You can see all of the figures from the book for free.

Thank you for sharing the Link.
This new found interest on the ancient Apulians is welcome news, especially after this population has been somewhat Neglected by the Academic Communities.

Edit————-

I just bought the hard cover from Amazon too. :)

The Italic People of Ancient Apulia
New Evidence from Pottery for Workshops, Markets, and Customs

51DjaJ8y6sL._SX346_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 77978 times.

Back