Italic peoples

All Italians who are interested on their genetics should read this.
There are new developments regarding the DNA of the Italians of Ancient Rome.

Filter out the arguments of those who are only interested in challenging the new findings, and a picture of who the Italian of Ancien Rome were, becomes a bit clearer.

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/37817-Talk-on-Ancient-Italian-Roman-DNA-over-in-Stanford

——-
Ci sono nuove revelazioni sul DNA degli Italiani dell’Antica Roma.
Piano piano, stiamo scoprendo chi erano veramente.

Mettete da parte i post di coloro che rifiutano di accettare i risultati di queste nuove ricerche genetiche, e non vi fate INGANNARE da loro. (sono solo dei rompi p...) ;)

https://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/37817-Talk-on-Ancient-Italian-Roman-DNA-over-in-Stanford

All Italians who are interested on their genetics should read this.
There are new developments regarding the DNA of the Italians of Ancient Rome.

Filter out the arguments of those who are only interested in challenging the new findings, and a picture of who the Italian of Ancien Rome were, becomes a bit clearer.

——-
Ci sono nuove revelazioni sul DNA degli Italiani dell’Antica Roma.
Piano piano, stiamo scoprendo chi erano veramente.

Mettete da parte i post di coloro che rifiutano di accettare i risultati di queste nuove ricerche genetiche, e non vi fate confondere da loro. (sono solo dei rompi p...) ;)

Alla maggioranza degli italiani non gliene può fregare di meno della genetica. :)

Alla maggioranza degli italiani non gliene può fregare di meno della genetica. :)
Genealogy is the 2nd most popular hobby in the US.
——
Secondo me, può essere che dicono così perché hanno paura di scropire chi sono veramente. (hanno i loro motivi ...)
Chissà quanti di loro usano sarcasmo come copertura, ma in realtà, in privato, sono interessatissimi. :)

Genealogy is the 2nd most popular hobby in the US.

Per forza, gli Stati Uniti sono costituiti da un popolo di migranti relativamente recente.

Può essere che dicono così perché hanno paura di scropire chi sono veramente. (hanno i loro motivi ...)
Chissà quanti di loro usano sarcasmo come copertura, ma in realtà in privato sono interessatissimi. :)

Questa è una roba che un italiano non direbbe e non penserebbe mai. Semplicemente alla maggioranza degli italiani non gliene può fregar di meno. È la mentalità italiana. Anche se chiaramente diventando la genetica più popolare ovunque, finirà per diventarlo anche in Italia, come in piccola parte sta già avvenendo.

Per forza, gli Stati Uniti sono costituiti da un popolo di migranti relativamente recente.

Questa è una roba che un italiano non direbbe e non penserebbe mai. Semplicemente alla maggioranza degli italiani non gliene può fregar di meno. È la mentalità italiana. Anche se chiaramente diventando la genetica più popolare ovunque, finirà per diventarlo anche in Italia, come in piccola parte sta già avvendo.

Take into account my background.

a dire la verità, ho iniziato ad interessarmi solo dopo che mi hanno regalato un NatGeo kit un Natale.
Forse hai ragione tu.

Perhaps we should get back to English so our members can follow the conversation.

I'm very surprised, Salento, that you would think Italians (as in Italians in Italy) give a damn about genetics, much less that they're "afraid" of what they may discover. I could see Americans thinking that, but Italians? Pax is completely right about that. I can't imagine an Italian thinking that way. They must be very different in the Salento.

After years of trying I can't get a single one of my many Italian relatives to test, even when I offer to pay. Believe me, they wouldn't be lying to me about why they don't want to test. :) They think it's nonsense. As one old aunt said, we've been right here for hundreds, maybe a thousand years. (She's right: at least back to 1400.) Who cares about before that? I also get: I have enough cousins! :) Most of them emphatically didn't want to know health risks, either. The same old great-aunt said something to the effect of why would I want to know the things that are supposedly going to kill me? She was 94 at the time, making it all rather academic. :)

It's an eminently sensible and pragmatic attitude. It also shows a level of comfort and acceptance with who we are, and a lack of need to try to prove anything. We're not the Balkans, after all, obsessed with questions of identity, and who was first where, and who is better.

I will.
Da Prendere in considerazione:
Dopo un po’ di tempo, gli Italiani che vivono fuori dall’Italia, vedeno le cose in un modo un po’ diverso (o almeno io).
È assolutamente sbagliato ed offensivo affermare “Un Italiano non penserebbe mai ...”

Dopo un po’ di tempo, gli Italiani che vivono fuori dall’Italia, vedeno le cose in un modo un po’ diverso.
È assolutamente sbagliato ed offensivo affermare “Un Italiano non penserebbe mai ...”

Someone might find what you wrote offensive if we want to.

However, you are agreeing with me, because I was clearly talking about Italians living in Italy, who are still the main source of knowledge about who the Italians are.

Then it is possible that Italians who go abroad will change their mind. But even in this case I know examples of Italians who have moved abroad and have not changed their minds about this.

Questa è una roba che un italiano non direbbe e non penserebbe mai. Semplicemente alla maggioranza degli italiani non gliene può fregar di meno. È la mentalità italiana. Anche se chiaramente diventando la genetica più popolare ovunque, finirà per diventarlo anche in Italia, come in piccola parte sta già avvenendo.

italians think like this because they think of their town first , then maybe their province ...........if your lucky their region next and if you are really lucky their country last.

I see it now. :)
I feel like:
“You know you've been out of Italy for too long when...”

I'll be more considerable ...

italians think like this because they think of their town first , then maybe their province ...........if your lucky their region next and if you are really lucky their country last.

I'm well aware of that. Ovviamente.

I will.
Dopo un po’ di tempo, gli Italiani che vivono fuori dall’Italia, vedeno le cose in un modo un po’ diverso (o almeno io).

Sorry, you say you'll go back to posting in English and then go back to posting in Italian?

The rules are the rules. Post in English, Salento, please.

I'm sure what Pax meant to say is that it would be very odd for an actual Italian to give a damn or be "afraid" of the results of a dna test, apart, possibly, from health results.

It's true that we have some "Nordicist", or perhaps better said, anti-Near Eastern and anti-African racist Italians. However, even Lega Nord people in Italy haven't been bitten by the personal genetics bug. Indeed, the vast majority of Italians aren't even aware of this kind of testing. As an Italian surely you know that.

As for people who have moved to America, yes, I would think there is more interest, as there is in Italian-Americans proper. Given the advertising and how many people are testing, that's understandable. However, I know a lot of these people personally, and met more through 23andme forums, and I've yet to meet one who was upset about additional "West Asian" percentages, or a tiny bit of North African. The only thing that upset my husband was the French and German tiny percentages which showed up. :) As a died in the wool conservative, he is a bit prejudiced against the French, I'm afraid. I can't break him of it.

It’s a Timing thing.
I edited and added “I Will” after I posted. :)

Sorry too about .... as they say “it came out wrong”.

The Making of an Italian American

wQIzC9B.jpg

We are Strong on the Tri-state
:giggle:

... 1900 - Pushed from home by an unstable government and fueled by money sent from those already in America, entire families began to leave southern Italy.
They found work as fisherman and citrus farmers in California, coal miners in Pennsylvania, and seamstresses, tailors, fruit sellers, and construction workers in big cities like New York and Chicago.

They gathered in “Little Italies,” establishing neighborhoods based on old family and town loyalties, but many still dreamed of returning home and put off learning English or becoming citizens.

Emigration from southern Italy to the United States slowed during World War I, and again after 1924 when a new law limited the number of immigrants allowed into the country.
However, second-generation southern Italians were integrating into American culture and by 1930 more than 100,000 southern Italians and Sicilians lived in the East Harlem neighborhood of New York City.
During World War II, they were among the 500,000 Italian Americans who served in the U.S. Armed Forces.
This helped cement their place as valued American citizens..

More about Hungarians and Georgians than Italics, yes? :)

Well, at least the lead story.

I figure I’ll keep the thread going with General Italian Info, as we wait for more .... :)

The 7 Kings of Rome
(sung in English)

REX
Romulus, Numa Pompilius, Tullus Hostilius, Ancus Marcius, Lucius Tarquinius Priscus, Servius Tullius, Lucius Tarquinius Superbus.

Social Clubs help keep Italian community together.

Good People. imo :)

Indeed, but the members are mostly older men who immigrated from Italy. Unfortunately, the sons and daughters and grandchildren aren't as interested.

In the metro area, I don't know about Jersey, but in Manhattan the Italian social clubs are almost gone. The only ones that I know of that are still active are the Columbus Citizens Foundation, which is for the high flyers who plan the Columbus Day Parade, and Tira a Segno, which was modeled on clubs in Italy based on hunting. It has a shooting range in the basement. My husband gets invited there by older clients.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/columbus-citizens-foundation-new-york

Tira a segno:
https://www.yelp.com/biz/tiro-a-segno-of-ny-new-york?osq=Italian+social+club

There used to be a social club in Astoria, Queens for people from Parma. I remember going to stay with relatives in Suffolk so they could trot me over there to their dances. I was supposed to find someone from "home". :)

There are a few social organizations for professional people of one sort or another which skew younger and American born, like the Italian American Lawyers' Association to which my husband belongs. I just hate groups. Imo these kinds of groups just turn into networking groups where people just use one another for professional advantage. I just really hate that stuff. It's a good thing my husband is a good salesman. :) I didn't even join the National Association of Italian American women.

Back when I was a believer, I heard about an Italian organization at a Long Island Church, St. Brigid's, which conducted meetings in Italian, sponsored Italian language masses and had fairs etc. The people all have ancestry from a town in Campania, though, and when I showed up they treated me like I was from Mars, so that was a fail. I hate to say it, because it sounds so stereotypical, but with the older people who dominated the group I stuck out like a sore thumb: I was about a half a foot taller than many of them. It didn't bother me, but it bothered them. They asked me if I was "really" Italian. That was that.

They do a Via Dolorosa enactment. Originally all in Italian, now with three linguistic versions. It's the only Passion Play I know of in the northeast. They close the streets in the whole town.

This thread has been viewed 77755 times.

Back