U.S. race groups and haplogroups

Rethel

Reaction score
It is very difficult to find some data about haplogroups in Americas. It is hard to find enything even for the US.
Finaly, globaly data for Americas I found. Maybe this data is old or not perfectly corrrect, but exist in some form
and space in Internet. I was looking for haplogroups according to race groups in Americas but I found nothing.
For the U.S. I found some different numbers, but they are old, diffrent with each other and not for every group
in the US, and mostly without sources. So I must say that I found nothing. Can be someone helpfull with that?

I have found only the following 2005 study by Hammer et. al.:

https://www.familytreedna.com/pdf/HammerFSIinpress.pdf

It has a total sample of 2517 male Americans, including 927 of European descent.

There are also 651 African-Americans, 479 Hispanic-Americans, 398 Native-Americans and 62 Asian-Americans.

When it comes to European-Americans (EA) their sample of 927 contains:

Vermont - 199
South Dakota - 182
Ohio - 99
Virginia - 97
North Carolina - 87
Connecticut - 85
Phoenix, Arizona - 56
Mesa, Arizona - 43
New York City - 42
Florida - 37

And here are their (EA) haplogroups of Y-DNA according to this study:

R1b1a2 (R-M269) - 58.3%
I1 (I-P30) - 11.7%
R1a1 (R-M17) - 7.2%
I (I-P19*) - 4.9%
E1b1b (E-M78) - 2.9%
I2 (I-P37.2) - 2.7%
G2a (G-P15) - 3.6%
G - (G-M201*) - 0.2%
E-P1 (E-P1) - 0.9%
E1b1b1 (E-M35*) - 0.8%
E (E-SRY4064*) - 0.2%
E3 (E-P2*) - 0.1%
J2 (J-M172*) - 1,6%
J (J-12f2) - 1,0%
J2e (J-M12) - 0,8%
R1b1 (R-P25) - 0,6%
R1* (R-M173*) - 0,1%
Q (Q-P36) - 0,6%
Q (Q-M3) - 0,1%
K-M70 (K-M70) - 0,5%
O3 (O-M122*) - 0,3%
O (O-P31*) - 0,1%
O (O-MSY2b) - 0,1%
N (N-P43) - 0,1%
N (N-Tat) - 0,1%
L (L-M20) - 0,1%
P (P-M207*) - 0,1%
A (A-M13) - 0,1%
B (B-M152) - 0,1%
C (C-P39) - 0,1%

Unfortunately, there is no info on subclades - which would be useful especially for R1b1a2.

I also do not think that this sample is representative in terms of European ethnic groups (ancestries). Proportions of people declaring various European ancestries in this sample are probably different than among all White Americans. That's because people for this sample were collected only from 10 places (U.S. states and cities) listed above, which are not representative of the whole of the USA. Especially that samples from some places are disproportionately large (for example as many as 199 people from Vermont in a sample of 972 - or 20,5% of entire sample - when Vermont has 626,500 people - or just 0,2% = 1/500 of entire population of the USA).

There is no info whether those 972 EA people were asked about their ancestries, and what were their answers.

Is not relevant.
As you can notice this study is taken only from a few US states,a relevant study should take males from all US states.

I should think, given that the majority of "white" Americans are descendents primarily of people from the British Isles, Germany and some lesser numbers from the Scandinavian countries, and fewer still from Eastern Europe, the yDna would be predominantly R1b, with some I and R1a and then some minority clades.

As for African Americans males, I believe, to the best of my recollection, that from 1/4 to 1/3 of them carry West Eurasian haplogroups, of which the majority are R1b. Whether that is from "Anglo" American slave owners or overseers or from Spanish slave traders and seamen, I don't know.

There is much more autosomal data, such as this large paper done by 23andme, which does have people from all over the country in its huge data base, although it's still not actually a scientific sample.

Dienekes discusses it here: 23andme Mega Study on Americans
http://dienekes.blogspot.com/2014/09/23andme-mega-study-on-different.html

"The higher fraction of African ancestry in the south and of European ancestry in the north, shouldn't be very surprising. There are some interesting loci of higher "Native American" ancestry; most African Americans don't seem to have a lot of this ancestry, but some apparently do."

As to Latinos: "To my eye, this seems like more African ancestry in the eastern parts (presumably from Caribbean-type Latinos?) and more Native American ancestry in the west."

"Overall, it seems that relatively few (less than 5%) of European Americans have more than 2% either African or Native American ancestry in any of the states."

"The bulk of the African ancestry in European Americans seems to be in the sub-10% range (equivalent to less than 1 great grandparent). It is possible that many of these individuals might not even be aware of the existence of such ancestors."

This is the link to the study:
The genetic ancestry of African, Latino, and European Americans across the United States.
http://biorxiv.org/content/biorxiv/early/2014/09/18/009340.full.pdf

If you wish to discuss it, it might be best to open a thread in the autosomal Dna section.

"white" Americans are descendents primarily of people from the British Isles, Germany and some lesser numbers from the Scandinavian countries, and fewer still from Eastern Europe

In 2000 Eastern European ancestries outnumbered Scandinavian ancestries by a factor of 1,75. I made a graph showing ancestry responses in 2000 census, I took into account only "First Ancestry" (i.e. ancestry reported first - as many people reported more than one ancestry, many also did not report anything).

"First Ancestry" (self-reported) is most likely to be that from direct paternal lineage anyway:

Ancestry_USA_2000.png

Ancestry not reported - people who did not report any ancestry
Uncodeable entry - ancestry reported but impossible to read
Religious response - I suppose answers like "Jewish" are included here
Names of U.S. states - responses like "Virginian" or "Californian"
Mixed - includes responses such as "my ancestry is mixed".

Can, Aus, NZ - Canada, Australia, New Zealand
BIS - British Isles (English, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, etc.)
CEu - Central Europe (mostly German ancestry)
WEu - Western Europe (includes South-Western Europe)
EEu - Eastern Europe (Polish is the largest ancestry here)
Scn - Scandinavian 1st ancestries (including Finnish)
Balk - Balkanic ancestries (South-Eastern Europe)
Generic Eu - reports like "European", etc.

NAfr, MEast - North African, Middle Eastern
SE Asia - South-East Asian ancestries
India, S Asia - India and South Asia
CeAm, SAm, WIndies - Central & South Americas, West Indies
Sub-Sah Afr - Sub-Saharan African ancestries
Pacific - Pacific Islanders, Oceanians

Native Am - Amerindian (Native Americans from both continents)

I don't know of any such study. If I did, I'd provide it to you. It probably hasn't been done because it wouldn't tell geneticists anything meaningful in a population as recently ethnically mixed as the one in the U.S.

As for your map, I don't think we can be very certain of the numbers in your pie chart when...

54 million didn't answer
20 million American
3.4 million White
2.1 million Generic European
1.8 million-unreadable response
1 million Religious response
.5 Names of states

Ed. They didn't even bother to list southern Europe, and yet I've seen figures for 17 million Americans of at least partial Italian descent alone.

One also has to know this society to understand that someone of very mixed ancestry might pick a country as the "national" background when it is just the most recent ancestry from Europe, and it might not necessarily be the paternal ancestry. I know children whose mothers are Italian who claim to be Italian even though their fathers are something else.

As for the numbers for Eastern Europe, another complication is that it all depends how you define that term. Czechoslovakia and Hungary are Central Europe as far as I'm concerned, but some 4th generation descendents of people from there might label it eastern European. Also, there are over 6 million Jews in the U.S. and while some might be under the religious category, many would no doubt appear in the "Eastern European" category. Their yDna would in most cases be very different from that of the average non Jewish Pole or Russian.

According to Harvard Edu a realistic figure for Russian ancestry in the U.S. is 750,000 with at least 1 Russian grandparent.
http://www.fas.harvard.edu/~gstudies/russia/lessons/backgd.htm

I can't find an academic source for the number of people claiming Polish ancestry. The Wiki site on Polish Immigration claims 10 million, which is much more than the figure for all EEuropeans in your pie chart. Also, even if that 10 million figure is accurate it would include 1/4 Polish ancestry, 1/8 ancestry etc. and no way to tell if it is on the maternal or paternal side.

One can look at immigration numbers, but records were poorly kept, and they don't reflect the fact that there was a certain percentage of return. (about 30% in non Jewish groups on average)

For what it's worth, this is one link I found which seems based on actual immigration records for 1820-1996:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0201398.html

Immigration from Poland is given as about 750,000. Some of those would have been Jews.The former U.S.S.R. number is listed as 3.7 million.
The number for Jews from the Russian Empire, Romania, and to a lesser extent the Austro-Hungarian Empire is usually given as 2 million from 1881 to 1924 alone. This doesn't reflect that, for example, 300,000 came in 1880 alone.
http://jwa.org/encyclopedia/article/eastern-european-immigrants-in-united-states

In terms of European immigration, the biggest numbers seem to be the following for the period from 1820-1926:
Germany 7.1 Million
U.K. 5.2 Million (Obviously, there was a lot of immigration before that.)
Italy 5.4 Million
Ireland 4.8 Million
Former U.S.S.R. 3.7 Million (An indeterminate but large number would be Jews.)

I think you can see the difficulty in getting a reliable figure for non Jewish eastern European migration, or the current number of people who claim some amount of non Jewish eastern European ancestry. Indeed, it's hard to feel much confidence in the numbers for any of these groups in terms of ancestry present in people today given admixture rates and how inaccurate people are in giving such information.

As far as R1b specifically, you could have R1b from the U.K., from Germany, from Scandinavia, from Italy and France(or Canada), but also in African-Americans.

There's no use in studying genetic in America. It's not an ethnic group.

Angela said:
Immigration from Poland is given as about 750,000.

Ethnic Poles came to the USA not only from Poland, but also from Germany, Russia, Austria, etc. Especially before 1918, when Poland did not exist as a sovereign state (safe for the Congress Kingdom, which was an autonomous part of Russia until 1864 but later was renamed to Privislansky Krai and lost autonomy). Most of ethnic Polish immigration to the USA took place before 1914, as after WW1 the USA enacted laws establishing immigration quotas for Eastern Europeans.

The data you linked is based on what immigrants themselves told about their country of origin, upon entering Elis Island in NYC.

So if an ethnic Pole came for example from Austria and claimed "I come from Austrian Poland" or "from Poland" (even though Poland didn't exist at that time), he was counted as an immigrant from Poland. That's why your data shows some immigration from "Poland" before 1918, when there was no Polish state.

I have actually seen data for period before 1918 which lists immigrants from "Russian Poland", "German Poland", "Austrian Poland" and generic "Poland", as well as immigrants from "Russia", "Germany" and "Austria". Of course ethnic Poles could be found among immigrants from all seven of those places.

Angela said:
Ed. They didn't even bother to list southern Europe, and yet I've seen figures for 17 million Americans of at least partial Italian descent alone.

Not "they" but "me", because I made that graph. :) I did count Italian-Americans as part of Western European ancestries.

Here you can see the original data that I used for my chart (but ignore "Sheet 3" and "Sheet 2", the data in question is in "Sheet 1"):

http://www.speedyshare.com/ZAjCX/1st-Ancestry-US-2000.xls

Note that I only counted First Ancestry. So people who reported for example German-Italian are counted as Germans, not as Italians.

But people who reported for example Italian-German are counted as Italians - and therefore as "Western Europe" in my graph.

Angela said:
As for the numbers for Eastern Europe, another complication is that it all depends how you define that term. Czechoslovakia and Hungary are Central Europe as far as I'm concerned, but some 4th generation descendents of people from there might label it eastern European.

If you open the xls (Excel) file from the link in my post above, you will see how I defined Eastern Europe. Not only Czechs and Hungarians but also Polish people and many Lithuanians see their countries as parts of Central Europe. However, I counted everything to the east of Germany and Austria as "Eastern Europe" in my graph, with the exception of the Balkans (South-Eastern Europe) and with the exception of Scandinavia, which formed categories on their own.

The reason I did that is because "Central European" category is numerous enough even if only German-speaking ancestries are included into it.

Angela said:
Also, there are over 6 million Jews in the U.S. and while some might be under the religious category, many would no doubt appear in the "Eastern European" category. Their yDna would in most cases be very different from that of the average non Jewish Pole or Russian.

Yes that's a thing which I was unfortunately unable to figure out - what ancestries do Jews in the USA report?

I suppose that many of them report German ancestry due to their Yiddish-speaking heritage (Yiddish is a mostly Germanic language with some Slavic elements, as you know). However, obviously many Jews also report Russian ancestry, because most of them came from the Russian Empire.

Some Jews undoubtedly report Polish ancestry but I was unable to figure out how many. Many Galician Jews surely report Austrian ancestry. Let's note that Jews were very numerous in Prussian-occupied part of Poland ca. 1800, but most of them emigrated westward during the "Ostflucht". Those Jews who emigrated westward from areas acquired by Prussia in the Partitions of Poland settled in other parts of Germany - and their descendants in the USA.

Many Jews must be also in this group of 54 million who did not report any ancestry and in this group of 20 million who reported "American" ancestry.

Most of Jewish immigration to the USA took place before 1914. After 1918 the USA passed laws on immigration quotas limiting the influx of Jews, as well as Eastern and Southern European immigrants (they became unwelcomed guests due to racial theories prevalent in the USA at that time - by contrast immigration from "racially" Germanic countries was promoted).

As for historical patterns in distribution of Jews throughout the European continent:

According to estimates by Salo W. Baron, "A Social and Religious History of the Jews", in 1490 there were ca. 600,000 Jewish people in Europe but their distribution throughout the continent was much different than what we know from more recent times. The largest Diasporas in 1490 existed - according to Baron - in Spain (250,000), Italy (120,000) and the German Reich (still 80,000 even though their number was already declining). Smaller ones in Portugal (30,000) and Poland-Lithuania (30,000 - which is in agreement with most estimates for year ca. 1500 by Polish and Polish-Jewish historians that I've seen).

So according to Salo W. Baron in 1490 the PLC had only 5% of European Jewish population.

The period between 1490 (actually already for some time before that date) and 1670 was a period during which Jews immigrated in large numbers to Poland-Lithuania (the only exception was the year 1648 and several subsequent years, in which Jews who had previously settled in Polish-controlled Ukraine were driven out by the Cossack Rebellion - many of them escaped westward to other parts of Poland, but many also escaped abroad - to Moravia, Austria, Bohemia, Germany and Italy). Possibly some Jews also emigrated from Poland during the Second Northern War of 1655 - 1660, but I have no specific info in this case. First emigration of Jews from Poland in 1648 is described by Shaul Stampfer, "What actually happened to the Jews of Ukraine in 1648?", "Jewish History", vol. 17, 2003. Some Jews of Ukraine were at that time also enslaved by Cossacks and Tatars, later transported to Crimea and from there exported via slave markets to Islamic countries.

One of areas of Europe from which Jews emigrated to the PLC until 1670 (the last immigrant group in 1670 were Jews from Vienna) was the HRE. Michael Toch, "The Formation of a Diaspora: the Settlement of Jews in the Medieval German Reich", shows patterns of Jewish demography in the HRE:

Year - number of existing Jewish communities in the Holy Roman Empire according to Michael Toch:

1250 - 250
1300 - 509
1450 - 321
1525 - 59

After 1525 number of communities continued to decline. Most of that decline was due to violent expulsions of Jews from Germany.

Some examples:

1492 - Jews expelled from Portugal
1497 - Jews expelled from all of Spain
1499 - Jews expelled from Nürnberg (in Germany)
1519 - Jews expelled from Regensburg (as above)
1551 - Jews expelled from the Duchy of Württemberg
1561 - Jews were being expelled from Bohemia by Emperor Ferdinand I, but intervention of the Pope stopped those expulsions.
1573 - Jews expelled from the Margraviate of Brandenburg
1590 - Jews expelled from the Duchy of Braunschweig-Lüneburg
1670 - Jews expelled from Vienna and from entire Austria
1746 - Jews expelled from western part of Silesia by Frederick the Great

About expulsions of Jews from Austria over the centuries - http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/2152-austria

Jewish historian - David Solomon - said the following about those events (check the part between 0:55:50 and 0:57:10 of this video lecture):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUlM2a2tsOM#t=3350

"(...) The Shoah is not an isolated event. The project to exterminate the Jews of Germany happens here [pointing at the timeline of history], and here, and here, and here, and here, and here. And so people say - so why did Jews keep going back to Germany? Why did Jews keep going back? And I say - look at your own generation. Only half a century after the Holocaust, and what is the largest growing Jewish community in the world outside of Israel? It's Germany. And yet surely the lesson of this entire wall [pointing at the timeline of history] is that Jews should not be living in Germany. We hope and we pray... in the end of the day, in hundreds of years from now, I'm hoping that... well, if I'm starting to explain that more I'm gonna get further and further into problem, so I'm gonna stop, let's go back to history (...)"

Most of those expelled Jews - after being driven out of Germany - escaped of course to the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.

Salo W. Baron estimates that during the first half of the 1800s Jewish population in lands of the PLC (at that time already partitioned between Russia, Prussia and Austria) amounted to as much as 42% - 46% of Jewish population of the entire world (not just of Europe).

With subsequent Jewish westward emigration from Russia, Austria and Prussia to other parts of Europe and to the USA from the 1800s to 1914, the distribution of Jewish populations around the globe once again changed - so that in the early 1930s the largest Jewish Diaspora was in the USA, and amounted to 4,100,000 up to 4,200,000 people. The 2nd largest was in the USSR, the 3rd largest in Poland. In Palestine there lived in 1936-1937 already around 370,000 - 400,000 Jewish people and they comprised 36% of its population, making Palestine of 1937 already the most Jewish-inhabited region percentage-wise.

Last edited:
BTW, in mid-17th century still not Poland-Lithuania, but the Ottoman Empire, had the largest Jewish community in the world. The size of Jewish population in Poland-Lithuania exceeded the size of Jewish population in the Ottoman Empire probably only during the 18th century. For example Z. Guldon and K. Krzystanek, "Jewish population in towns of the left-bank part of the Sandomir Voivodeship in 16th-18th centuries. Settlement-demography study", Kielce 1990, wrote that percent of Jews among inhabitants of towns of Sandomir Voivodeship west of the San River increased from 7,4% by the end of the 1600s to 22% by the end of the 1700s.

The city of Salonica in the Ottoman Empire (now in Greece) used to have Jewish majority during most of the time between ca. year 1500 and ca. year 1900. In the census of 1913 Jews were still 39% of inhabitants of Salonica.

Following the expulsions of Jews from Germany in the 15th-16th centuries as described by Michael Toch, Jews started to settle in Germany again since 1648. First Jews settled in Brandenburg in 1648. First synagogue in the city of Berlin was constructed in 1712. Jewish population of Brandenburg-Prussia greatly increased after the Partitions of the PLC. On 4 July 1793 Prussia prohibited its Jews (mostly acquired in the Partitions of Poland) from living in the countryside:

"Daß der auf dem plattem Lande wohnende Jude sich verbindlich machen, sich in einer Stadt zu etablieren, worin bereits eine Judenschaft befindlich ist. Wohnt der heyrathende Jude hingegen in einer Stadt, so muß er sich reversiern nie auf das platte Land zu ziehen."

In 1923 Polish Jews published a publication about persecutions of Polish Jews in Prussia and Germany following the Partitions of Poland:

"Polityka rządu pruskiego wobec Żydów polskich od roku 1793 do roku 1806", in: "Przegląd Judaistyczny", nr 1 - 6, Poznań 1923.
("Policies of Prussian government towards Polish Jews since 1793 until 1806", in: "Judaistic Review", numbers 1 - 6, Poznan 1923).

An interesting book about the history of Polish Jews is also "Żydzi w Polsce Odrodzonej" vol. I-II, Warsaw 1932-1933 (by Schiper, Tartakower, Hafftka et. al.). In this book authors write also about the westward emigration of Jews from territories acquired by Prussia from Poland, to other parts of Germany.

Angela said:
As far as R1b specifically, you could have R1b from the U.K., from Germany, from Scandinavia, from Italy and France(or Canada), but also in African-Americans.

According to the chart on page 5 of the study that I linked, 17.8% of male African-Americans have R1b. However, some of this R1b can be R1b-V88, which is indigenous to African populations and found especially among Chadic speakers in areas such as Nigeria:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chadic_languages

R1b.png

Last edited:
@Tormenable,

I think you'll agree that the percentages of Jews by area during the Middle Ages are not apropos when we're trying to determine where the immigration came from in the 19th and early 20th century, and how large a percentage they were of the total immigration from eastern Europe.

Perhaps there are statistics out there on how many American Jews claim German Jewish ancestry versus Eastern European ancestry, but I haven't come across it. Given the vast numbers in eastern Europe at the time of the immigration into America versus the numbers in Germany, and just going by anecdotal evidence, I think the percentages would be heavily skewed in favor of eastern Europe. I don't know if it's something similar to the skew in the Italian American numbers, but definitely skewed, I think. Personally, I only know a handful of people who claim German Jewish descent...their ancestors tended to come earlier and were wealthier and more educated. The vast majority say Poland or Russia. A few will be more specific...I hear Galicia mentioned a lot, and Lithuania. I don't think most are very precise because it doesn't much matter to them...they were hardly made to feel like equal citizens after all. As I said above, I think some might be under the "religious" category, but that's far too small to account for all of them.

The point is, I think, that it's impossible to get a really good estimate on how many of the immigrants from eastern Europe were non Jews and how many were Jews. All we know is that, "Between 1880 and the start of World War I in 1914, about 2,000,000 Yiddish-speaking Ashkenazi Jews immigrated from diaspora communities in Eastern Europe, where repeated pogroms made life untenable." You'll notice the "about". There's no way of really knowing.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_the_United_States

(For a total number, you'd have to figure in those that came before that period, heavily German Jewish in composition although there were also Sephardic Jews like the family of the great Benjamin Cardozo, and those who came between the two world wars, although the number would have been much less. )

The larger issue is that you can't get from this to yDna lineages, which I think is your major interest, yes?

Yes, I opened up the link. Thanks. It's very interesting. The data is based on the 2000 census, so all self reported, so I wouldn't put too much faith in any of this. The numbers for "English" ancestry are particularly bogus, I think. A lot of people have some, indeed majority English ancestry, but they either list "American" as their ancestry, or "state" or "white", or "general European" or they don't answer. I also notice that a lot of people I know will answer "German" for ancestry just because that's where their surname comes from, and they ignore all the English admixed ancestry because it's too long ago to "count", if you know what I mean.

Also, it lists only first and second ancestry...I know people who when asked say things like...Irish, Italian, German, English, Czech.

I don't think you can disentangle it.

I do find the data table interesting for other reasons. It shows, for example, the big difference from first ancestry to second. Note the small numbers for first compared to second ancestry. It shows the amount of inter-ethnic admixture that has gone on...I also found it very interesting personally that the only Italians who at all identify by province are the Sicilians. :)

Since you're interested in this topic, you might want to take a look at this if you haven't already seen it. It shows by county the plurality declared ancestry. It still has to be interpreted judiciously because as I said people often just list the most recent ancestry from Europe and the rest gets subsumed under "American" or "other". It also misses those places where an ethnicity comes in second. That's the case for Italians in a lot of upstate New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island etc. There's also a lot of us on the coasts of Florida. I only discovered in the last few years how many settled out west as miners in the 19th century as well.

The graphic is also based on the 2000 census, by the way, so perhaps you've indeed already seen it.
USethnicities2.jpg

The majority of Jews came to the USA from what was at that time the Russian Empire (after WW1 those territories became the Soviet Union, Poland, Lithuania and a few more sovereign states). "Russian ancestry" in American censuses definitely includes more ethnic Non-Russians than ethnic Russians. Also immigration from Russia consisted mostly of its persecuted minorities - Poles and Jews.

A good book about Polish communities in the USA at the beginning of the 20th century is "A History of the Poles in America to 1908" (in several volumes) by Wacław Kruszka (there is also a Polish-language edition "Historya polska w Ameryce", volume I was published in Milwaukee in 1905). Kruszka in his 1905 book (Polish-language edition) quoted the following about Russian-born Americans :

"(...) The fact that ethnic Poles have been counted in statistics as 'Germans', 'Austrians' and 'Russians' is proven for example by recent statistical data which shows that there are 424,372 'Russian' [Russian-born] Americans, while we know that there are not even 4,000 ethnic Russians in the USA. (...)"

According to this data (from a 2009 Latvian publication "Latgale as a culture borderzone"), 2 million Jews emigrated from the Russian Empire between 1881 and 1914 (Jews and Poles being the most persecuted minorities in Tsarist Russia) - surely vast majority of them headed towards North America. Poles and Jews of Russia were also the most active minorities in revolutionary movements:

Hard_data.png

Angela said:
The point is, I think, that it's impossible to get a really good estimate on how many of the immigrants from eastern Europe were non Jews and how many were Jews.

It is perfectly possible because 99,99% of Jews of Eastern Europe were (by the time of immigrating) religious Jews - that is, believers of Judaism. So what you need is looking at religious data and checking how many Jews came versus how many Christians came. The series of books about Polish-Americans published between 1905 - 1908 (both English and Polish editions) are only about Catholic Poles.

Wiki article about Wacław Kruszka: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacław_Kruszka

His Polish history in America: https://www.google.com/search?q=A+History+of+Poles+in+America+to+1908+&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Here is the numerical data on numbers and distribution of Catholic Poles in the USA in year 1900 from Wacław Kruszka's book:

Poles_USA_1900.png

Detailed data on number of Christian Poles by state in year 1900 (from Wacław Kruszka's 1905 - 1908 books):

Tabela.png

Pennsylvania - ca. 350,000 (and 112 Polish settlements, and 85 Polish churches)
New York - ca. 340,000 (and 90 Polish settlements, and 46 Polish churches)
Illinois - ca. 300,000 (and 56 Polish settlements, and 49 Polish churches)
New England (3 states listed below) - ca. 160,000 (and 70 Polish settlements, and 30 Polish churches):
*** Massachussetts - ca. 100,000
*** Connecticut - ca. 50,000
*** Rhode Island - ca. 10,000
Wisconsin - ca. 150,000 (and 101 Polish settlements, and 76 Polish churches)
Michigan - ca. 140,000 (and 73 Polish settlements, and 48 Polish churches)
Minnesota - ca. 80,000 (and 60 Polish settlements, and 47 Polish churches)
Ohio - ca. 80,000 (and 30 Polish settlements, and 15 Polish churches)
New Jersey - ca. 70,000 (and 30 Polish settlements, and 16 Polish churches)
Indiana - ca. 33,800 (and 39 Polish settlements, and 18 Polish churches)
Nebraska - ca. 29,000 (and 29 Polish settlements, and 20 Polish churches)
Missouri - ca. 28,700 (and 12 Polish settlements, and 11 Polish churches)
Maryland - ca. 25,700
Texas - ca. 19,750 (and 34 Polish settlements, and 30 Polish churches)
North Dakota - ca. 16,600 (and 11 Polish settlements and 5 Polish churches)
South Dakota - ca. 9,950
Delaware - ca. 8,000
Kansas - ca. 8,000
California - ca. 6,000
New Hampshire - ca. 5,000
Arkansas - ca. 5,000

All other states - ca. 50,000

GRAND TOTAL:

1.9 - 2.0 million (out of total U.S. population of ca. 76 million) and 810 Polish settlements, and 517 Polish churches.

Some additional notes:

"Polish settlements" were settlements which were mostly Polish, or had some Polish district, or some large Polish community. Apart from living in Polish communities in such settlements, many Polish families also lived dispersed all over other places. So not all of those 1.9 - 2.0 million in year 1900 lived in those 810 settlements. Some of them lived in other places.

"Polish churches" = Catholic churches with sermons in Polish (or sermons in English but for ethnic Polish communities).

As for religions in the USA in year 1900:

According to Wacław Kruszka, in 1900 the USA had 76 million inhabitants - including 12 million Roman Catholics.

By comparison the number of Jews in the USA in year 1900 was - according to wikipedia - 1,5 million.

So Roman Catholics were almost 16% of the total population and Jews were almost 2% of the total population.

Kruszka writes that ethnic Poles were 1/6 of Roman Catholics in the USA and 1/40 of all inhabitants of the USA.

================================

Kruszka collected his data on number of Christian Poles from various sources - including letters to authorities.

For example when it comes to the Polish community in the city of Toledo, here is what Kruszka wrote in his 1905 edition:

"(...) When I asked Mr Samuel Jones, long-standing mayor of the city of Toledo, how many Poles did he have in his city? At first he answered to me: 'In my city I don't know any Poles, or Germans, or French - I know only Americans'. And then I replied to that: 'Mr Mayor, and I don't know not only any Poles, Germans, French, I don't even know any Americans - I know only humans!' Mr Jones did not reply to this, but instead without any further deliberation, he issued the following written declaration, saying that in Toledo there lived over 14,000 Poles. (...)"

And here is the declaration in question:

Samuel_Jones.png

Those figures don't comport with what I have seen in other places, as I pointed out above, but I really don't have the time to pursue it.

My main question remains...What is the point of all of this? We all know, at least all Americans know, that there was immigration to the U.S. from eastern Europe.

What are you trying to discover or prove? If I knew that, the discussion might be more fruitful. Is it a competition of some kind in terms of numbers? How is that helpful. Nobody is madly interested in the y Dna lines, so I wouldn't hold my breath for that, frankly.

Angela said:
The graphic is also based on the 2000 census, by the way, so perhaps you've indeed already seen it.

Yes I have seen it - have you seen the results of ancestry question in the census of 1980 ???

1980 was the first census which asked about ancestry, and in that census English ancestry was most frequently reported. Later something happened, and by 1990 English ancestry vastly declined, while German replaced it as the most frequently reported ancestry.

Here is the hard data:

Ancestry.png

That decline of English ancestry can't be explained by the rise of "American" ancestry, because it also declined from 1980 to 1990:

American ancestry (self-reported):

1980 - 13,30 million
1990 - 12,40 million
2000 - 20,19 million
2010 - 19,98 million

English ancestry (self-reported):

1980 - 49,60 million
1990 - 32,65 million
2000 - 24,51 million
2010 - 25,93 million

===============================

Angela said:
As for your map, I don't think we can be very certain of the numbers in your pie chart when...

54 million didn't answer
20 million American

No answer on ancestry question in 2000 census (by county):

http://s16.postimg.org/nshp55m05/Unspecified.png

Unspecified.png

"American" ancestry in 2000 census (by county):

http://s1.postimg.org/htcsygn7j/American.png

American.png

"The most American" states are Kentucky and Tennessee, apparently. :)

Yes I have seen it - have you seen the results of ancestry question in the census of 1980 ???

1980 was the first census which asked about ancestry, and in that census English ancestry was most frequently reported.

Later something happened, and by 1990 English ancestry vastly declined, while German replaced it as most reported ancestry.

Here is the hard data:

Ancestry.png

That decline of English ancestry cannot be explained by the rise of "American" ancestry, because it was too small:

American ancestry (self-reported):

1980 - 13,30 million
1990 - 12,40 million
2000 - 20,19 million
2010 - 19,98 million

English ancestry (self-reported):

1980 - 49,60 million
1990 - 32,65 million
2000 - 24,51 million
2010 - 25,93 million

Yes, you're right. These things are fluid...people's answers are fluid...the answers can't be taken as any sort of hard and fast data. Just as an example, my husband declined to answer that question. That year he was on his, we're all American now kicks, and enough with hypen this and hyphen that. If they had asked him another year he might have answered differently. My son, on the other hand, would probably answer 100% Italian, but he's going through a celebration of his "roots" lately. :)

It's complicated.

This thread has been viewed 35755 times.

Back