J1 and Northern Italy (Tuscany)

Lemnians were Etruscan colonists in Greece.

There have been found plenty of Italic and Etruscan inscriptions in the East Med area.

Read this article.

http://dienekes.blogspot.it/2015/02/italic-eteocretan-sea-peoples.html#uds-search-results

Rhaetian inscriptions have been found mostly in Tyrol and Western Austria.

Distributions of Tyrsenian languages.

1024px-Tyrsenian_languages.svg.png

It includes Southern Germany.

Lemnians were Etruscan colonists in Greece.

Why is it that there's common Etruscan and Hittite religious material, in particular the Etruscan Tarkhun (whence the Roman name "Tarquinius") and the Hittite "Tarhun"? Its more likely that the Etruscans of Etruria were colonists from Anatolia, than the other way round.

There have been found plenty of Italic and Etruscan inscriptions in the East Med area.

Read this article.

http://dienekes.blogspot.it/2015/02/italic-eteocretan-sea-peoples.html#uds-search-results

First, Dienekes talks about Osco-Umbrian, and I have to say, I find the idea that Eteocretan/Minoan is Osco-Umbrian quite hair-raising. No offense to him, but has the guy actually ever taken a look at the Linear B or Linear A scripts?!

Rhaetian inscriptions have been found mostly in Tyrol and Western Austria.

Distributions of Tyrsenian languages.

1024px-Tyrsenian_languages.svg.png

It includes Southern Germany.

That map is from Wikipedia, its inaccurate about the distribution of Raetian (my idea is that they take the provincial boundaries of Roman Raetia and make that as language distribution - which works totally well, of course). There are no Raetian inscriptions from southern Germany, and I'm also unaware of any Raetian inscriptions from Vorarlberg, the Salzburger Land or even Upper Austria (Oberösterreich), which that map claims. If I'm wrong there, please pinpoint me to any inscriptions that I'm not aware of. Likewise, where are your Etruscan names (from Greek or Roman sources, maybe) north of the Alps?

^^

First of all Hittites were not native of Anatolia, but recent incomers from the Russian steppe. The fact that the Hittite and Etruscan languages share 1 or 2 words means very little, otherwise I could also claim that Indo Europeans came from India.

Then the Etruscans were a mixture of native neolich farmers and Urnfielders from Central Europe. That's supported by archeology.

On the other hand the theory of the Anatolian origin of the Etruscans is neither supported by linguistics or archeology.

Actually I don't get your point: the distribution of Raetian language is based on the archeology. Otherwise since we have very little or no Slavic, Germanic and Celtic inscriptions in Europe, we must suppose that those people originated on Mars.

I'm not sure it could push things forwards but concerning Y-J1-M267, Wiki says it's the basic SNP of J1 nothing else - but it says too the most of the semitic speaking populations of Near-Eastern and Arabia, AND Africa had developped a high percentage of P58 upon this M267 "root" what is not the case concerning Europeans and Caucasus people of today. they are not sure of a birthpalce of J1-M267, helas.
what can that tell us? a few chances it came to Europe from semitic Phoenicians or we have to think the P58 is recent, I don't know (shame!)- it has more chances to be come here brought by people from Caucasus or Anatolia, what DOESN'T ELIMINATE A NEOLITHIC INTRODUCTION by the way. the distribution in Eastern Europe in Slavic lands doesn't tell us a lot of things; it's not too far from the distribution of tthers southeastern haplo's or aDNA among whoù we cannot tell the Neolithic part from the Metals part; the only but uncertain fact we have today is the absence of J-M267 among the ancient Neolithikers aDNA...
the low frequence in Galicia, rich for other southern haplos, even "semitic-like", doesn' t speak more for Phoenicians so not too much more for Maures - but Etruscans in Portugal? I don't know, so the Neolithic hypothesis cannot be ruled out completely. more than a wave has been suggested by surveys. We need surveys about subclades, even upon STRs (I'm not too found of but?)

^^

First of all Hittites were not native of Anatolia, but recent incomers from the Russian steppe. The fact that the Hittite and Etruscan languages share 1 or 2 words means very little, otherwise I could also claim that Indo Europeans came from India.

Then the Etruscans were a mixture of native neolich farmers and Urnfielders from Central Europe. That's supported by archeology.

On the other hand the theory of the Anatolian origin of the Etruscans is neither supported by linguistics or archeology.

Actually I don't get your point: the distribution of Raetian language is based on the archeology. Otherwise since we have very little or no Slavic, Germanic and Celtic inscriptions in Europe, we must suppose that those people originated on Mars.

OK, some of your points are logical, but not all of them - Archeology, you say? it doesn't give us always what ethny is concerned, some material cultural traits have been shared by different ehtnies (it seems it is the case for late Urnfields) - we need linguistic inscriptions, or reports about place-names: Celtic, Germanic or Slavic place-names and anthroponyms are known. And the thesis about linguistic links between etruscan and some western anatolian (pre-I-E) or egean toponyms is not completley dispelled for I kow

Trying to link Raetian with Etruscan seems to be old school.
with new evidence showing Raetian archaeology dated 3000BC having being found in Val Venosta ( Alta-Adige) ( south tyrol ) , home of the vennotes tribe of which oetzi was part of and trying to link these Raetians with Etruscans whose earliest known date in Italy is circa 800BC needs more proof.

^^

It means common mythological ideas and cultural contact.

Actually, I'm not saying that Etruscan is actually related with Anatolian, but that they had contact with speakers of Anatolian. And, you're overlooking the fact that by the time of classical Etruria, the Hittite Empire had long-since disappeared. How do you explain a contact if the Etruscans weren't originally in Anatolia? If the Etruscans were Urnfielders form north of the alps, where's your linguistic evidence for such a presence? Is there an Etruscan substrate in Germanic?

Technically we actually do have some inscriptions, there's (short) Celtic graffiti from southern Germany (Manching), Switzerland (Bern) and Austria (Grafenstein), written in Greek and North Italic alphabets from the last century or so before the Roman conquest of that area.

Also, you should be aware that there's this field of linguistics called "onomastics". Hence why I'm asking you to come up with evidence for Etruscan place names from north of the Alps if you say that area was actually Etruscan.

Trying to link Raetian with Etruscan seems to be old school.
with new evidence showing Raetian archaeology dated 3000BC having being found in Val Venosta ( Alta-Adige) ( south tyrol ) , home of the vennotes tribe of which oetzi was part of and trying to link these Raetians with Etruscans whose earliest known date in Italy is circa 800BC needs more proof.

There are many linguistical evidence linking Etruscans and Rhaetians.

It means common mythological ideas and cultural contact.

Actually, I'm not saying that Etruscan is actually related with Anatolian, but that they had contact with speakers of Anatolian. And, you're overlooking the fact that by the time of classical Etruria, the Hittite Empire had long-since disappeared. How do you explain a contact if the Etruscans weren't originally in Anatolia? If the Etruscans were Urnfielders form north of the alps, where's your linguistic evidence for such a presence? Is there an Etruscan substrate in Germanic?

Technically we actually do have some inscriptions, there's (short) Celtic graffiti from southern Germany (Manching), Switzerland (Bern) and Austria (Grafenstein), written in Greek and North Italic alphabets from the last century or so before the Roman conquest of that area.

Also, you should be aware that there's this field of linguistics called "onomastics". Hence why I'm asking you to come up with evidence for Etruscan place names from north of the Alps if you say that area was actually Etruscan.

Both Etruscan and Raetic languages are little understood right now, so we are not able to detect substratums and onomastics for sure.

J-M267 is found in many sub-populations in southern Europe, so the Etruscans can't be the reason. Or better, it can not be ruled out but certainly J-M267 is not related with the Etruscans only. And the highest percentages of J-M267 in Italy and Europe are not found in Tuscany.

PopulationSample sizeTotal J-M267J-M267(xP58)J-P58
publication
Malta907.8%NANAEl-Sibai 2009[4]
Crete1938.3%NANAKing 2008
Greece (mainland)1714.7%NANAKing 2008
Macedonia (Greece)561.8%NANASemino 2004
Greece2491.6%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Bulgaria8083.4%NANAKarachanak 2013
Romania1301.5%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Russia2230.4%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Republic of Macedonia Albanian speakers646.3%NANABattaglia 2008
Albania563.6%NANASemino 2004
Slovenia751.3%NANABattaglia 2008
Italians (northeast)670.0%NANABattaglia 2008
Italians9150.7%NANACapelli 2009
Sicily2363.8%NANADi Gaetano 2008
Provence (France)512%NANAKing 2011
Portugal (North)1011.0%NANAGonçalves 2005
Portugal (Centre)1024.9%NANAGonçalves 2005
Portugal (South)1007.0%NANAGonçalves 2005
Açores1212.5%NANAGonçalves 2005
Madeira1290.0%NANAGonçalves 2005

but Etruscans in Portugal? I don't know, so the Neolithic hypothesis cannot be ruled out completely. more than a wave has been suggested by surveys. We need surveys about subclades, even upon STRs (I'm not too found of but?)

I agree.

The most common mistake is thinking that the Etruscans were a genetically homogeneous people. As remembered by Angela some genetics tested ancient Etruscans samples: 27 sequences, 5 were found in Anatolia, 7 were found in Germany and only 2 in Tuscany. What we know for sure is that in the territories known as Etruria before the appearance of the Etruscan civilization there was the Villanovan culture. That's a fact. The proto-Villanovan culture descends from the Urnfield culture according to many scholars and archeological evidences. And the Villanovan culture was a key player in the make-up of the Etruscans, probably one of the most important. So it's correct to say that Etruscans descends in a way from the Urnfield culture. But more likely not only, at least culturally, from the Urnfield culture because the question still remains relevant: how did an Indo-European civilization as the Villanovan culture become the Etruscan civilization with a non-Indo-European language?

Is there any evidence of a Germanic language around 800 BC in the Urnfield culture? More likely also the Celts and the last wave of Italics were Urnfielders.

Technically we actually do have some inscriptions, there's (short) Celtic graffiti from southern Germany (Manching), Switzerland (Bern) and Austria (Grafenstein), written in Greek and North Italic alphabets from the last century or so before the Roman conquest of that area. Also, you should be aware that there's this field of linguistics called "onomastics". Hence why I'm asking you to come up with evidence for Etruscan place names from north of the Alps if you say that area was actually Etruscan.

The North Italic alphabets is nothing more than a variant of the Etruscan alphabet (derived from the Euboean variant of the Greek alphabet). And in northern Italy were the Etruscans, not the Italics (even if some of civilizations in northern Italy like were genetically related to the Italics).

Why is it that there's common Etruscan and Hittite religious material, in particular the Etruscan Tarkhun (whence the Roman name "Tarquinius") and the Hittite "Tarhun"? Its more likely that the Etruscans of Etruria were colonists from Anatolia, than the other way round.

Hittite language is Indo-European while Etruscan is not considered Indo-European. Despite the numerous studies has not yet really been proven that the Etruscans were settlers who came from Anatolia. Furthermore there are no historical and archeological evidence of a mass migration from Anatolia to central Italy around 800 BC. Not to mention that there are no archaeological evidence of an Etruscan civilization outside Italy. Were there contacts between Etruria and Anatolia? Yes, for sure. The Etruscans were one of the most developed civilizations in Europe and Anatolia at that time was one of the most important places on the planet.

North of the Alps I don't know but in south Tyrol and Veneto there are place names of supposed Etruscan origin. Next days I look in the books I own if there is something more to the north.

My own personal opinion is that given the archaeological record, which shows no discontinuity at all, it's unlikely that there was a mass migration from Anatolia to Toscana in the 8th century BC. Other than that, I am keeping an open mind.

At any rate, if people want to get into a detailed discussion of Etruscan ethnicity, please go to the following:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...-Italy?p=435782&highlight=Etrucans#post435782

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...-Theory-on-the-Origi?highlight=Etruscan+mtDna

As to Urnfield in this context, see this thread where the last post by Moesan is of particular interest.
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/thread...etice-and-Urnfield-genomes?highlight=Urnfield

I agree with the Angela's suggestion to continue this discussion in more appropriate threads.

the problem with Villanovan culture is that show/have simmilar IE burial
but not in weaponry, which seems influenced by not IE
IE weaponry used socket sword handlle, Villanovan is using with peers, like Corinthians, Aegeans and generally Pelasgian,

some scientists create Villanovan 1 & 2 and used time limits, cultural etc
villanovan 1 is IE
villanovan 2 is Etruscan

you can see the difference amond a socket one and one with peers for the handlle

th

th

there is also the case of a fat ring in the handlle, that seems until now that proto-used in Near East

Last edited:
@Angela

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

I mentioned in the Frontex thread that the migrants in the Med were mostly African and Syrian.

I did not mention J1 and Etruscans.

J-M267 is found in many sub-populations in southern Europe, so the Etruscans can't be the reason. Or better, it can not be ruled out but certainly J-M267 is not related with the Etruscans only. And the highest percentages of J-M267 in Italy and Europe are not found in Tuscany.

PopulationSample sizeTotal J-M267J-M267(xP58)J-P58
publication
Malta907.8%NANAEl-Sibai 2009[4]
Crete1938.3%NANAKing 2008
Greece (mainland)1714.7%NANAKing 2008
Macedonia (Greece)561.8%NANASemino 2004
Greece2491.6%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Bulgaria8083.4%NANAKarachanak 2013
Romania1301.5%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Russia2230.4%NANADi Giacomo 2004
Republic of Macedonia Albanian speakers646.3%NANABattaglia 2008
Albania563.6%NANASemino 2004
Slovenia751.3%NANABattaglia 2008
Italians (northeast)670.0%NANABattaglia 2008
Italians9150.7%NANACapelli 2009
Sicily2363.8%NANADi Gaetano 2008
Provence (France)512%NANAKing 2011
Portugal (North)1011.0%NANAGonçalves 2005
Portugal (Centre)1024.9%NANAGonçalves 2005
Portugal (South)1007.0%NANAGonçalves 2005
Açores1212.5%NANAGonçalves 2005
Madeira1290.0%NANAGonçalves 2005

I agree.

Indeed, J1 is more frequent in Greece, Malta, Albania and parts of Iberia.

@Angela

I think there has been a misunderstanding.

I mentioned in the Frontex thread that the migrants in the Med were mostly African and Syrian.

I did not mention J1 and Etruscans.

@ Vallicanus

Is it true that Scott and Skoda and Skudra and Scythians are the same name and meaning?

Perhaps FRONTEX should also patrol East boarders for immigrants, the central Asians,

@ Vallicanus

Is it true that Scott and Skoda and Skudra and Scythians are the same name and meaning?

Perhaps FRONTEX should also patrol East boarders for immigrants, the central Asians,

It's "SCOT".

No, the connection is bogus.

Your racism is showing.

It's "SCOT".

No, the connection is bogus.

Your racism is showing.

who cares if it is Scot or Scott or Scuth?

none is European,
neither Scot, neither Etruscan,
thank you I have never hide, I am a racist
and since probably you are not a racist,
would you like to share the weight of illegal immigration? and take 200 000 in your town?

who cares if it is Scot or Scott or Scuth?

none is European,
neither Scot, neither Etruscan,
thank you I have never hide, I am a racist
and since probably you are not a racist,
would you like to share the weight of illegal immigration? and take 200 000 in your town?

The Scots and other Britons are more "European" than your people.

Your racism will not stop the flows from Africa and Asia.

European racism is a bit of a joke given that most features of civilisation there, even agriculture, came from the Fertile Crescent.

Last edited:
The Scots and other Britons are more "European" than your people.

Your racism will not stop the flows from Africa and Asia.

European racism is a bit of a joke given that most features of civilisation there, even agriculture, came from the Fertile Crescent.

since when? and why? is ?Gedrosian or Altaic component dismissed in your DNA?
and who are my people?
Yes I am a racist,
since you are not? why you do not take these new comers to your 'Europe"?
Besides it was Europe's policies to create that tsunami,
and help to an equal distribution?
But your laws and treaties say that these people must return to the country of entrance,
so we allow people to travel through out Europe and find a job, but we do not allow these people, and we gather them in the countries of entrance,
thank you mr 'Non Racist',

Last edited:
helas racism is not the only question concerning immigration, a geographic problem -World demic density of today has nothing in common with Neolithic times! - no easy answer to the problems send by massive immigration caused by more than a reason - only politicians and teenagers give simplistic explanations and solutions.
By the way I don't see too well the link with the present thread, Y-J1 in N EItaly

This thread has been viewed 109598 times.

Back