Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum

Thread: HLA-B27 : distribution map and associated medical conditions

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Post HLA-B27 : distribution map and associated medical conditions

Here is a map showing the allele frequency of HLA-B27. The maximum frequencies are observed among the Saami (20% in northern Sweden, 15% in Norway), then in the rest of Fennoscandia, in Belgium, England and Scotland.

HLA-B27 is the most routinely tested HLA types by doctors because carrying this allele greatly increases the risk of developing ankylosing spondylitis (AS), and other associated inflammatory diseases referred to as "spondyloarthropathies". About 12% of B27 carriers will develop this debilitating autoimmune disease of the lower axial spine and nearby joints. The onset of the disease is typically between 15 and 25 years old and there is no cure at present.

You can check if you carry the allele for HLA-B27 if you tested your genome with 23andMe, Geno 2.0 or FamilyFinder. The SNP for HLA-B*27:05, the most common variant in Europe, is rs6919835 (the A allele means carrier). I have checked ancient genomes from Haak et al 2015, and only one sample (Neolithic Spain) was positive for B27.

Last edited by Maciamo; 21-04-15 at 19:41.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.