Dini Malaj

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Albanian
Y-DNA haplogroup
E-v13
mtDNA haplogroup
H
Hi I recently received my y-dna results and it seems that I am part of the E-L117 haplogroup. I read online that this haplogroup shows jewish ancestry. At the same time I see matches with different haplogroup names. I have exact matches with E-V13 people and E-M35 and others. And I know that E-V13 is generally accepted as the haplogroup of the Albanians. Now how is it possible I match people with other haplogroup names? Do I need to do a bigger y-test to find the subclade of E-L117 to which I belong? Is E-V13 a subclade of E-L117? Or is it the other way around? Or are they not really connected? I just need some information over this since I really have no knowledge on this matter.
Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum Dini Malaj. Are your results confirmed or predicted? There is nothing Jewish about your results but very typical of the area you originally come from (or your family). You would probably fall in the E-V13 and E-117 is just a subclade.This group is common in South Balkans (Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Monte Negro and Albania of course, with Kosovo having the highest concentrations)

Welcome to the forum Dini Malaj. Are your results confirmed or predicted? There is nothing Jewish about your results but very typical of the area you originally come from (or your family). You would probably fall in the E-V13 and E-117 is just a subclade.This group is common in South Balkans (Bulgaria, Macedonia, Greece, Monte Negro and Albania of course, with Kosovo having the highest concentrations)

Hey Maleth thanks for the answer!
My results say predicted. I did the test with family tree and I did the cheapest (y-dna12) because I was only interested in the haplogroup I belonged to. I already have done the autosomal tests for family finder. Does predicted mean that I should probably do a more extended test?

My results say predicted. I did the test with family tree and I did the cheapest (y-dna12) because I was only interested in the haplogroup I belonged to. I already have done the autosomal tests for family finder. Does predicted mean that I should probably do a more extended test?

I was confrimed E-V13 on 12 Markers. To be honest I really do not know how that works as quite a few seem to be released as predicted. I think however you can be sure its E-V13 its just your subclade that could change. I am L542 confirmed but someone with exactly my surname is E-V13 but E-L117 (predicted). Comparisions at 12 Markers are not very reliable. I was tested at 67 Markers but nothing much has changed.

You have to play around with your tools on your ftdna page. Check out snp map, and you can join some groups. The E-35 project is the largest one and you will be probably clustered with the E-V13 group (scroll down to find it) (pages take long time to open).https://www.familytreedna.com/public/E3b?iframe=yresults

There is also the also the Albanian project you might find interesting to join however there are very few members yet.

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Abanian_DNA_Poject?iframe=yresults

Let us know your autosmal dna when they come in you can post them in this section

http://www.eupedia.com/forum/forums/238-Family-Tree-DNA

Well How can I confirm that it is E-V13? I would rather confirm it's jewish ancestry or Albanian. Is there anyone else or a better place to ask in order to get maybe a more specialized opinion? I already have the results of the autosomal. I took it with ancestry because they have a bigger number of people who have taken it so I thought it would be more valuable. My results were 82% Italian/Greece (which includes Albania, where I am from) 12% Eastern Europe/ 3% Jewish/ 1% Middle East and 3% Caucasus. On the other side my father had 1% Western Europe as well (he took it as well)

Well How can I confirm that it is E-V13? I would rather confirm it's jewish ancestry or Albanian. Is there anyone else or a better place to ask in order to get maybe a more specialized opinion? I already have the results of the autosomal. I took it with ancestry because they have a bigger number of people who have taken it so I thought it would be more valuable. My results were 82% Italian/Greece (which includes Albania, where I am from) 12% Eastern Europe/ 3% Jewish/ 1% Middle East and 3% Caucasus. On the other side my father had 1% Western Europe as well (he took it as well)

You can e-mail the project manager on ftdna, they are normally very helpful. E-V13 E-117 is by no means a main Jewish marker. If not mistaken it only makes up some 3% of the general Jewish Haplotype. E-V13 is much more predominant in the region you come from. Other types of E-clade are much more common in Jewish DNA. Maybe Joe Doe can help you if he will read this :)

Would someone be able to tell if I'm E-V13 by the results of the Y-Dna STRs? If I put the values I got here could someone interpret them and explain to which subclade I might belong to?

Would someone be able to tell if I'm E-V13 by the results of the Y-Dna STRs? If I put the values I got here could someone interpret them and explain to which subclade I might belong to?

Shqipe, I would say that you are indeed e-v13, especially if you are matching people who are e-v13 and their SNP is green (confirmed). E-M35 and E-L117 are more generalized (predicted by ftdna by str results since those people haven't tested for specific SNP subclades) and they indeed are upstream of e-v13 which is a subclade of those mentioned.

I would join the e-m35 group on ftdna just like maleth said and the admin should be able to tell you with more certainty and probably group you with e-v13 since you have matches who are confirmed as such, even though it's only a 12 marker test.

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.87)]HelloI got a result E-M35 and the only one that shows Y2491 and L117.I tried to find answers about Y2491 and L117 but I hope someone can help me with this.How can I find my real haplogroup.thanks for the reply[/COLOR]

the post is 3 years old, nevertheless I decided to help you with the answer. Initially when you do your Y DNA test, they show it as predicted. To be confirmed, you need to order the confirmation test on your haplogroup. For example, I had tested for my Y-DNA, the result was, that my haplogroup was predicated to be R-M269. To confirm that I really belong to this haplogroup, I had to order the confirmation test on R-M269.

i personally believe that the confirmation test is another way of a rip-off. If you order the confirmation test on your predicted haplogroup, which is another $30, the likelihood of the results will be positive, and that what they call it the confirmation test.

This was at the very early beginnings of my journey :) This question has been answered a while ago, however I appreciate your comment. I agree with you on the confirmation tests. There are better ways to use your money to learn more.

E-m35.1

Some of the information provided by others answering above is assumption. I run a DNA project at Family Tree DNA and E-L117 is not a subgroup of E-V13. It is E-M35.1 and without refining your results is pretty useless on its own. It could be an E-Z827 sub-branch (containing many Phoenician clusters like Jewish ones) or could be an E-L539 sub-branch (containing many native Balkan clusters).

I have two members for example who are E-L117 positive.
one is
M35+, CTS1096+, CTS4659+, L117+, M123+, M34+, PF1962+, PF6751+, Z827+, Z830+
and the other is
M215+, Z827+, L117+, M123+, M34+, PF1962+, Z827+, Z830+, Z841+, Z849+
so you see L117 is by no means an indication of being E-V13. It is purely speculative assumption based upon your Albanian ethnicity (given the fact that most Albanians tested so far are E-V13 positive) that you would end up being E-V13 rather than E-M34. But E-M34 is also very possible given the history of Turkish influence in Albania and the fact that E-M34 is quite common among Alevis.

Curiously Yfull has omitted E-L117 from its tree. Likewise so has familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/E;name=E-L117
Does anyone know why before I find out by other means?

All the best.

Last edited:

This thread has been viewed 37020 times.

Back