DNA of Iberians from Europe

What you call "Marxist or leftist interpretation" is just normal historical scholarship, while what you call "old school" are indeed old legends, usually invented centuries later by people with certain agendas, which you seem to swallow hook, line and sinker without much criticism.

No, "Marxist or leftist interpretation" it's not "normal historical scholarship." They have an agenda just like you do, the difference is you cannot see it. You follow everything slave-like. Plus you have this hidden or crypto-Hispanic agenda that makes everything about the Goths as useless.

Anyone who believes the "old school" is full of legends is a fool. The research is legitimate. So historians just made things up and followed legends? man you are ridiculous.

There are no agendas with me, or at least I try not to make any. I read everything there is out there on this topic and made my interpretations. You have been brainwashed by the Marxist interpretation. That is all. History is all about interpretation or perspective. Mine is legitimate.

My suspicion is that your critical knowledge of Early Medieval History of Iberia is weak but you try to cover it by using all these Marxist or "new" books as legitimate or try to make yourself seem like an expert. You only read two or three pages and use it as ammunation to counter a point but what you need to do is a thorough research of all the literature.

LOL -- You are very funny man. You think when someone has different perspective from you they are "childish."

a) Theoderic was called "the great" for a reason my friend. Theoderic was perhaps the greatest Gothic king compared to all the rest (maybe Alaric I was the greatest in that he brought all his people out of danger in E. Roman Empire and sacked Rome and established a kingdom in S France. Alaric II was a great king but was killed at the Battle of Vouille and lost all of Aquitaine). Theoderich also brought the West and East Goths together. It was a territory so huge that his power was too strong. This is why Justinian wanted to destroy the Goths. I know my history and it is obvious you have read something different. But I know a I am almost always right: read here:

" Ostrogothic power was fully established over Italy, Sicily, Dalmatia and the lands to the north of Italy. In this war[which?] the Ostrogoths and Visigoths began again to unite, if we may accept the witness of one writer[citation needed] that Theoderic was helped by Visigothic auxiliaries. The two branches of the nation were soon brought much more closely together; after he was forced to become regent of the Visigothic kingdom of Toulouse, the power of Theoderic was practically extended over a large part of Gaul and over nearly the whole of the Iberian peninsula. Theoderic also attempted to forge an alliance with the Frankish and Burgundian kingdoms by means of a series of diplomatic marriages. This strengthening of power eventually led the Byzantine emperor to fear that Theoderic would become too strong, and motivated his subsequent alliance with the Frankish king, Clovis I, to counter and ultimately overthrow the Ostrogoths." wikipedia.org/wiki/Ostrogoths.

Here is another wikipedia entry which supports my assertions about the Goths: "no writer is more instructive than Salvian of Marseilles in the 5th century, whose work, De Gubernatione Dei, is full of passages contrasting the vices of the Romans with the virtues of the "barbarians", especially of the Goths. In all such pictures we must allow a good deal for exaggeration both ways, but there must be a groundwork of truth. The chief virtues that the Roman Catholic presbyter praises in the Arian Goths are their chastity, their piety according to their own creed, their tolerance towards the Catholics under their rule, and their general good treatment of their Roman subjects."

Gothic rule was generally positive in Iberia, S France, and Italy. Anyone who claims, like Dac, that they were weak or stupid is not an expert in Gothic history.

Thank god for wikipedia! Almost everything I am debating comes out of my head but I can back up some of my research with wikipedia. I dont have the luxury to cross check but later when I move to USA I can check my notes or check the books/journals. Again: before you put in your two cents try to do some research because you can make an ass of yourself if you are not careful. Also you need to take out of your head this "romantic view" of history. It does not exit in USA or anywhere in the world anymore.

b) Yes Germanic societies had a "weakness" in that they still retained ancient traditions that could cause problems with a system based on non-tribal traditions. One was the election and overthrow of kings by election (it was a common democratic practice used by German tribes but it turned disastrous when used in large kingdoms). The Germans always practiced Machiavellian tactics and many rulers were killed (the most disastrous practice of removing kings by election was the loss of S Iberian to the Muslims.) But they all eventually adopted the hereditary system, which eliminated most of the problems of succession. Another weakness was their apartheid which you well demonstrated. But they would have eventually integrated in time (like the Franks, Lombards, Burgundians -- even the Alemans in Alsace-Lorraine and Vikings in Normandy). The third weakness was their religion. Germans have traditionally been more honest with their religion than Italians and followed Arianism, which was more logical than Catholicism. All Germans understood the Roman system but they wanted to integrate it with Germanic traditions (many German rulers were taught to be Romans way back since Arminius. Germans were proud and did not want to carbon copy the Roman system into their society). In fact the union of Roman and German systems/traditions created the culture of the Middle Ages in Europe.

d) I know Basques because I am part Basque and have seen them in reality. Some are fair and some are swarthy or dark like your Italians. They are a mix of proto-Celts (Iberians), Celts, and Neolithic peoples. You can believe what you want. Basques are not important anyway.

Different assumption are childish? Are you serious? You wrote that "it is understandable because italians are darker"... what the hell does it work with the discussion we are leading? We were speaking of Basque and you made unuseful my arguments with that idiotic statement! When a person haven't got any good argument, well, he goes with racist assumptions. Well done, Johannes! You are really a good history scholar...

To discuss with you is very unuseful: you aren't capable of any discussion. Your assumption could easily dubbed by me if and only if I said that you glorify germanic tribes because it is understandable, germanic barbarians were the least civilized people in Europe. But I DIDN'T because it had nothing to do with argument. You don't know the basic laws of a clean discussion.

Your behaviour is so stubborn, that it is a shame that moderator haven't banned you yet.

And Iberians are PROTO-CELTS? So, they spoke a proto-celtic language? What a new! We have another crypto indoeuropean people.

Obviously Wikipedia is the main source for serious scholars... but shut up! I had twenty books on the argument in bibliography when I was at the University in Italy and all scholars were prone to think that Theoderic was yes strong, but also very weak because of the internal weakness of Ostrogoth society. So, if you think.... but what I'm arguing? It is impossible to have a correct discussion with you. Bye.

No, "Marxist or leftist interpretation" it's not "normal historical scholarship." They have an agenda just like you do, the difference is you cannot see it. You follow everything slave-like. Plus you have this hidden or crypto-Hispanic agenda that makes everything about the Goths as useless.

Anyone who believes the "old school" is full of legends is a fool. The research is legitimate. So historians just made things up and followed legends? man you are ridiculous.

There are no agendas with me, or at least I try not to make any. I read everything there is out there on this topic and made my interpretations. You have been brainwashed by the Marxist interpretation. That is all. History is all about interpretation or perspective. Mine is legitimate.

My suspicion is that your critical knowledge of Early Medieval History of Iberia is weak but you try to cover it by using all these Marxist or "new" books as legitimate or try to make yourself seem like an expert. You only read two or three pages and use it as ammunation to counter a point but what you need to do is a thorough research of all the literature.

You have no agenda? I'm sincerely amazed, because all your statements point to a well built agenda.

a) OK Brennos are you trying to debate here if you know more about about Gothic history than me? Theodoric was the greatest Gothic king ever. He ruled over Italy, parts of Slovania, Croatia, and Austria, and had co-rulership with the Visigoths in southern France and all of Iberia. He was the greatest German in the early Middle Ages. His power was so huge that it caused Emperor Justinian to reconquer the Western Roman Empire. It was only when Theodoric died that Justinian decided to invade. There was some Italian politics about apartheid, BUT it was the sp

This is a unequivocal evidence of your arrogance. And your arrogance speaks for itself.

This is a unequivocal evidence of your arrogance. And your arrogance speaks for itself.

It is not arrogance: I already showed you proof that I was correct, and I only used wikipedia to cross check what was ingrained in my mind from past research. I dont live in USA now. I work in China as a teacher. So I cannot give you quotes from recent books like Drac. But I do know my history. I made a thorough research on the Germans and Goths and that is what I remembered. If your professors in Italy said it had some weak system, then OK, I am willing to accept your (or their) interpretation but I think mine is better. And I am not the only one who agrees. Just check wikipedia and other historians. History is about interpretation of the facts or perspective. You have a 'marxist" interpretation. I know much of what the marxists did was great work but they went overboard on their interpretations. It's not all just about structures or common people; great men make history too. I just dont agree completely with the marxists (you do).

You have no agenda? I'm sincerely amazed, because all your statements point to a well built agenda.

And what is that "agenda" you think I have? I am curious to know what it is.

Different assumption are childish? Are you serious? You wrote that "it is understandable because italians are darker"... what the hell does it work with the discussion we are leading? We were speaking of Basque and you made unuseful my arguments with that idiotic statement! When a person haven't got any good argument, well, he goes with racist assumptions. Well done, Johannes! You are really a good history scholar...

To discuss with you is very unuseful: you aren't capable of any discussion. Your assumption could easily dubbed by me if and only if I said that you glorify germanic tribes because it is understandable, germanic barbarians were the least civilized people in Europe. But I DIDN'T because it had nothing to do with argument. You don't know the basic laws of a clean discussion.

Your behaviour is so stubborn, that it is a shame that moderator haven't banned you yet.

And Iberians are PROTO-CELTS? So, they spoke a proto-celtic language? What a new! We have another crypto indoeuropean people.

Obviously Wikipedia is the main source for serious scholars... but shut up! I had twenty books on the argument in bibliography when I was at the University in Italy and all scholars were prone to think that Theoderic was yes strong, but also very weak because of the internal weakness of Ostrogoth society. So, if you think.... but what I'm arguing? It is impossible to have a correct discussion with you. Bye.

Now now, tisk tisk: the problem here is that you are too emotional. And emotional people make childish remarks. Just because you get all emotional does not mean I cannot debate or discuss. If you dont agree with my interpretations of data or sources then dont argue or debate me. Simple.

It is not arrogance: I already showed you proof that I was correct, and I only used wikipedia to cross check what was ingrained in my mind from past research. I dont live in USA now. I work in China as a teacher. So I cannot give you quotes from recent books like Drac. But I do know my history. I made a thorough research on the Germans and Goths and that is what I remembered. If your professors in Italy said it had some weak system, then OK, I am willing to accept your (or their) interpretation but I think mine is better. And I am not the only one who agrees. Just check wikipedia and other historians. History is about interpretation of the facts or perspective. You have a 'marxist" interpretation. I know much of what the marxists did was great work but they went overboard on their interpretations. It's not all just about structures or common people; great men make history too. I just dont agree completely with the marxists (you do).

I was speaking of University professors in Italy who are leading doctorate schools. But, obviously, your interpretation is better: you are the mouth of the Truth.

Now now, tisk tisk: the problem here is that you are too emotional. And emotional people make childish remarks. Just because you get all emotional does not mean I cannot debate or discuss. If you dont agree with my interpretations of data or sources then dont argue or debate me. Simple.

I'm sorry, but you can't see the real world: I'm so calm, that I can pass for a dead man. You are the man who - without any reason - made childish assumptions on my arguments picking idiotic racist ideas about skin tone of Basques and Italians. And now, I'm really interested in what did your racist assumption have to do with all the discussion, because the logical link doesn't exist. But I think my curiosity won't be satisfied, because there isn't any logical explanation to your flights of fancy of Pindaric memory.

Here, we aren't arguing about interpretation... we are arguing about history. Perhaps, you - and I'm very serious - don't understand that in Universities exist research and the so-called academic consensus about an argument. Personal interpretations aren't the field of sciences... truth and proofs are. If you don't understand the difference... well, I don't know how is it possible to talk with you about culture. And I'm not the only person here who think you don't know what are you talking about.

I'm not emotional: it is the fact that I'm discussing with a teacher that can't understand what history does mean that make me a little bit dumbfounded.

Otherwise, I let you fight your personal crusade about your personal interpretation of history.

P.s.: Marxist interpretation of history is presented along with other interpretations in Italian schools. Perhaps, we Italians have a much more wide view of things than yours.

Your agenda? To oversize the germanic role in Southern Europe.
I agree, and not only. We see similar romanticizing Germanic role, looks or actions when discussion history of northern Europe with Johannes. At the same time ridiculing ethnicity Germanics fought in the past.

You don't get it: what you arbitrarily call "Marxist or leftist interpretation" is just normal historical scholarship. The books and historians I quote are all just normal academics who specialize in these subjects. Since they do not say what you want to hear (mostly unconfirmed old legends and romanticized notions that are considered hardly reliable by modern academic standards), then you give them this "Marxist" label in order to try to discredit them. Ironically, you are the one who uses mostly Wikipedia, a "Free Encyclopedia", which features articles written by anyone who simply wants to, including bona fide Marxists.

I was speaking of University professors in Italy who are leading doctorate schools. But, obviously, your interpretation is better: you are the mouth of the Truth.

"Johannes" is armed with Wikipedia, the "Free Encyclopedia", very often written by Professor Who-Knows-Who, so beware! Actual scholars specializing on these subjects do not have a prayer!

And even then he often uses it poorly. For example, Wikipedia could have answered what he was so puzzled about regarding the people that Isidore of Seville was talking about in the passage I quoted from his "Etymologies". Incredibly enough, "Johannes" wants to convince us that he is actually a "historian".

"Johannes" is armed with Wikipedia, the "Free Encyclopedia", very often written by Professor Who-Knows-Who, so beware! Actual scholars specializing on these subjects do not have a prayer!

And even then he often uses it poorly. For example, Wikipedia could have answered what he was so puzzled about regarding the people that Isidore of Seville was talking about in the passage I quoted from his "Etymologies". Incredibly enough, "Johannes" wants to convince us that he is actually a "historian".

How else can I back up an argument with a pig-headed mind like yours? You are always eager to debate me because you have some complex I don't know what. Yes you have books at your disposal from Amazon and you check (but never fully read) then in order to find proof for your interpretation. So I need to use something to counter what your stubborn mind keep putting out. By the way you always use wikipedia so I don't understand what you are talking about.

Anyone who thinks non-Marxist historians believe in legends, that Arabs are white, and Iberians are pure Celts has some loose bolts in his head. If you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and to try to ridicule me, why don't you disappear and go to your never land? Go and cross check all you want until you die?

You don't get it: what you arbitrarily call "Marxist or leftist interpretation" is just normal historical scholarship. The books and historians I quote are all just normal academics who specialize in these subjects. Since they do not say what you want to hear (mostly unconfirmed old legends and romanticized notions that are considered hardly reliable by modern academic standards), then you give them this "Marxist" label in order to try to discredit them. Ironically, you are the one who uses mostly Wikipedia, a "Free Encyclopedia", which features articles written by anyone who simply wants to, including bona fide Marxists.

The problem with you is you are always putting your two-cents on everything but don't pay attention to what people write. I never said Marxist historiography was crap like you label all non-Marxist historians. I do respect some of what they wrote but not all. I just respect the non-Marxist interpretation of history more than you do. You just think the Marxists have the key to the Truth. But no my friend non-Marxist interpretation is not all about legends. I'll tell you what: why don't you do me and everyone else a favor and disappear? How about that? Deal?? Go convince others of your versions of genetics and history?:bored:

How else can I back up an argument with a pig-headed mind like yours? You are always eager to debate me because you have some complex I don't know what. Yes you have books at your disposal from Amazon and you check (but never fully read) then in order to find proof for your interpretation. So I need to use something to counter what your stubborn mind keep putting out. By the way you always use wikipedia so I don't understand what you are talking about.

Anyone who thinks non-Marxist historians believe in legends, that Arabs are white, and Iberians are pure Celts has some loose bolts in his head. If you just want to argue for the sake of arguing and to try to ridicule me, why don't you disappear and go to your never land? Go and cross check all you want until you die?

Quod demonstrandum erat: who was emotional here? Who was the arrogant?

And... nobody believes that Iberians are pure Celts... you see too many ghosts.

But keep going with your stubborn belief in your superior Truth, even if there are plenty of people that don't follow your biased view of history.

Your agenda? To oversize the germanic role in Southern Europe.

Overemphasize the role of Germanics in Southern Europe??? Are you serious? What planet are you living in? So you think Germans did little to develop the cultures of Europe?

In fact this silly debate about Goths and Germans began by accident. If you bother to read my introduction to this post I was trying to increase my knowledge of the genetic composition of the Iberian peninsula. I was only interested in 1) what kind of DNA the Celts, Iberians, Basques had, how they might be related, and what was the "true" genetic composition of the Germanics. That is all. Virtually no one here knows anything about it. Maciamo makes vague claims about the Germanics by giving them a 1-10% of the total DNA and he totally ignores the Iberians. Others know absolutely nothing about them. But then I began to get these messages from ignorant persons that claimed the Goths had virtually zero contribution to the Iberian DNA or that they were very mixed, blah blah blah. All I did is to try to reeducate them, but no, guys like Drac, who have some weird complex, tries to constantly prove that he was right, for example, as far as population, he erroneously believed that there were 7 million Iberians during the 8th century (this was the figure from the height of the Roman Empire). Then after I proved to him that, yes 4-5 million is a closer figure, he stubbornly disagreed and went on to the history of the Goths, which by the way he is weak but does not acknowledge, and the argument has keep going on and on until now.

The Germans did contribute immensely in the development of the culture of Europe, especially in Spain (less in Portugal), France, and England. Only in Italy was it less. Either way the Germans ruled your country for 1,000 years (the Ostrogoths, Lombards, Franks, HRE, and Normans) either directly or indirectly. Most of the Italian high nobility was descended from Germans. Plus the Germans introduced the Gothic cathedral, the feudal order, and helped make Catholic religion the dominant religion in Europe (and throughout they helped keep alive the classical knowledge of the Greeks and Romans). In short, the Germans are responsible for creating the culture of the Middle Ages in Europe.

The only drawback to the Germans is in allowing the Pope and Catholicism to get too much power -- The Donation of Constantine, for example -- and in turn made Europeans more stupid. Had the Franks not converted to Catholicism and adopted Arianism (which is more logical) and forced the ignorant population to become more rational instead of mystical, Europe might have had a Renaissance much earlier. But alas the ugly head of ignorance always pops up and threatens societies when you least expect it.

As far as the Goths in Iberia, they kept the Muslims in check and eventually reconquered all of the Iberian peninsula (and ethnically cleansed the Muslim population). Of course the common Goths lost their identity because they had to mix with the Celts, Basques, and whatever Iberio-Romans were left in the north in order to survive and became "Leonese, Castilians, and Aragonese." Either way they did contribute to the development of Iberia and eventually of Southern Europe. For example, they created a centralized government and were tolerant of others. Only the Church made intolerance possible (for example, the case with the Jews and heretics).

For your information if it wasn't for Germans Europe would have been speaking Arabic and worshiping Allah. If it wasn't for the Goths in Iberia and the Franks in France your ancestors would have been conquered very easily (in fact, the Arabs conquered Sicily and parts of S. Italy).

So is this overstating the Germanic role?

Quod demonstrandum erat: who was emotional here? Who was the arrogant?

And... nobody believes that Iberians are pure Celts... you see too many ghosts.

But keep going with your stubborn belief in your superior Truth, even if there are plenty of people that don't follow your biased view of history.

Drac and his Catalan avatars believe it. They claim Iberians are pure Celts.:LOL:

If you dont like my form of 'truth" why dont you go away? Why do you keep arguing? Is there some complex that you suffer from?:unsure:

I agree, and not only. We see similar romanticizing Germanic role, looks or actions when discussion history of northern Europe with Johannes. At the same time ridiculing ethnicity Germanics fought in the past.

You are so biased: why dont you read what Drac and Brennos say about me? They are always trying to ridicule me but you obviously don't pay attention. Plus your knowledge of history is not very impressive.

You are so biased: why dont you read what Drac and Brennos say about me? They are always trying to ridicule me but you obviously don't pay attention. Plus your knowledge of history is not very impressive.

There isn't worse blind than who doesn't want to see...

Nobody wants to say that germanic peoples didn't give anything to European culture. We are only saying that your try to emphasize germanic apportion to European history is somewhat ridiculous and without any historical evidence.

I think that if you make a conference with your interpretation of history here in Italy, you will be ridiculed by any scholar.

And we don't want to ridicule you: your biased interpretation of Southern European history does.

This thread has been viewed 162125 times.

Back