23 32.86%
  • R1b

23 32.86%
  • Cucuteni-Tripolye

9 12.86%
  • Caucasus-Mykop

15 21.43%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Where did proto-IE language start?

Anatolia and the Armenian Highlands.

Let make it simple as possible and sure: PPIE language started in
    Akkad. It is at least recorded, and there is no need for guessing.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

1 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rethel View Post

Im sorry but I'm a little confused. Wasn't the recorded Akkadian Language a branch of East Semitic Language? And Sumerian is a language isolate. Or is there another recorded language you have in mind? ^_^

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akkadian

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumerian_language

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Do you have a link?

Mitanni, Hurrian, Hatti are all from the first split of PIE around 4000BC...........all are non-Semitic languages.
    You can throw into this mix, Luwian, Palaic, Hittite , Carian etc as also non-semitic languages

Basically all Anatolia as far south as modern Aleppo and as far east as the iranian border are all non-semitic ancient language group that split from the original PIE

Akkad script is 1500years younger than the old-Anatolian languages
    có che un pòpoło no 'l defende pi ła só łéngua el xe prónto par èser s'ciavo

when a people no longer dares to defend its language it is ripe for slavery.

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Not an opinion, just a statement: there were a lot of proto-languages in so close regions; and where are the grammatical links with Finnic-ugric languages from? Why a so discrete language (at the beginning) took so much importance as to erase a majority of others spoken by well advanced cultures? NO answer, only question.
    &: Hurrian is not PIE nor IE for I know. Mitanni is a kingdom, maybe not a single culture (linguistically speaking)

Akkadian is just 4.5 ka and Semitic.
    Maybe you mean Ubaid, which is 6.5 ka

According to current historical research it seems like either the Northern Caucasus or Eastern Anatolia.

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    Akkadian is just 4.5 ka and Semitic.
    Maybe you mean Ubaid, which is 6.5 ka
    Akkad script is 1500years younger than the old-Anatolian languages
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Im sorry but I'm a little confused. Wasn't the recorded Akkadian Language a branch of East Semitic Language? And Sumerian is a language isolate. Or is there another recorded language you have in mind? ^_^
    O gosh, three guys, and all three can't read... I said
    clearly that: PPIE started in Akkad (the place, some
    geographical location) - not: Akadish language was IE.

Quote Originally Posted by Sile View Post
    Do you have a link?
    Of course: http://www.vatican.va/archive/bible/...l#Chapter%2011

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a-YP1020
    MtDNA haplogroup
    V7a1

Ethnic group
    Russian

Of course, R1b are IE, because they speaking IE languages.
    But it's very hard to propose, that R1b was the first haplogroups, that speaked IE.

Ned Stark the Boromir Fatherland's Avatar

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J2b2-L283
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

Ethnic group
    Gheg Albanian

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon2017 View Post
    Of course, R1b are IE, because they speaking IE languages.
    But it's very hard to propose, that R1b was the first haplogroups, that speaked IE.
    Might have been different haplogroups involved in the proto-IE with R1-carriers as the greatest number of them, thus carrying most of the IE speakers.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E-V13>CTS9320>Z38456

Ethnic group
    Albanian

The presence of R1b in Europe seems older then IE languages. If you narrow it down to specific clades then it would make sense, but personally I find that as mission impossible.

Let's see... CWC is responsible for majority of steppe admixture in Europe(despite the fact that R1b dominates in West Europe) and as we all know CWC was R1a dominated. Pontic Steppe is said to b PIE homeland. What does that say?

Y-DNA haplogroup
    G2a3a
    MtDNA haplogroup
    X2b

Ethnic group
    Makedonian original

the 2 major Hypothesis
    gives different results

Antony's mathod, (mainly Steppe and Yamnaa)
    give
    proto Anatolian 4500 BC
    Germanic 3300 BC
    Balt-Slavic 2800 BC
    Greek 2500 BC
    Indo-Iranian 2200 BC

the Ridge Warnon gives
    Anatolian3500 BC
    Celtic-italian 2500 BC
    Greek Armenian 2500 BC
    Iranian 2000 BC
    Balt German Slavic 500 BC

choose
    ΟΘΕΝ ΑΙΔΩΣ OY EINAI
    ΑΤΗ ΛΑΜΒΑΝΕΙΝ ΑΥΤΟΙΣ
    ΥΒΡΙΣ ΓΕΝΝΑΤΑΙ
    ΝΕΜΕΣΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΤΙΣΗ ΑΚΟΛΟΥΘΟΥΣΙ ΔΕ

When there is no shame
    Divine blindness conquers them
    Hybris (abuse, opprombium) is born
    Nemesis and punishment follows.

Εχε υπομονη Ηρωα
    Η τιμωρια δεν αργει.

Banned

Y-DNA haplogroup
    J-Y15222
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5a2b5

Ethnic group
    Italian

Probably between the interactions of Yamna and Maykop Cultures

Ethnic group
    United Kingdom and Baltic

Black Sea back when it was a lake.

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

3 members found this post helpful.
    I don't think "R1a" or "R1b", haplogroups that as a whole go back way before the appearance of PIE, can be used to represent a specific culture or people. I really doubt that all R1a or R1b carrying males spoke the same language in the Late Neolithic, thousands of years after the appearance and dispersal of those haplogroups. Most, most unlikely.

That said, my personal impression is that the earliest form of PIE began in a R1a-majority area of the Pontic-Caspian steppe under heavy (cultural and possibly linguistic too) influence of Caucasian languages (maybe the ancestors of Northwestern Caucasian or Kartvelian, accounting for the perceived similarities of IE languages with those families?) and particularly changed by the influence of R1b-majority and more "farmer like" males in the steppe had had come, many generations earlier, from the Balkans or from the Black Sea coast of Anatolia/South Caucasus. Maybe that could be seen in the west-to-east and backforth dynamics between Sredny Stog (west) and Khvalynsk (east) leading to Yamnaya, which then inverted the axis of influence and cultural assimilation, expanding to the west.

I don't think PIE was a "pure" language of a local, isolated ethnicity, but a lingua franca that extended trough a huge territory with lots of variations in each region's genetic makeup, but with a dominance of R1a and R1b, and the language as a whole was the result of this gradual homogeneization after an originally multiethnic and mobile character.

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Are people seriously proposing an excerpt of the Bible as a proof of the urheimat of PIE? Come on, even a Christian as myself finds that totally out of place! I'm pretty sure the writers of the Bible weren't scientists and didn't concern themselves much about the specific piece of land where Proto-Indo-Europeans, who lived thousands of km away from the Israelites, came from...

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    I don't think "R1a" or "R1b", haplogroups that as a whole go back way before the appearance of PIE, can be used to represent a specific culture or people. I really doubt that all R1a or R1b carrying males spoke the same language in the Late Neolithic, thousands of years after the appearance and dispersal of those haplogroups. Most, most unlikely.

That said, my personal impression is that the earliest form of PIE began in a R1a-majority area of the Pontic-Caspian steppe under heavy (cultural and possibly linguistic too) influence of Caucasian languages (maybe the ancestors of Northwestern Caucasian or Kartvelian, accounting for the perceived similarities of IE languages with those families?) and particularly changed by the influence of R1b-majority and more "farmer like" males in the steppe had had come, many generations earlier, from the Balkans or from the Black Sea coast of Anatolia/South Caucasus. Maybe that could be seen in the west-to-east and backforth dynamics between Sredny Stog (west) and Khvalynsk (east) leading to Yamnaya, which then inverted the axis of influence and cultural assimilation, expanding to the west.

I don't think PIE was a "pure" language of a local, isolated ethnicity, but a lingua franca that extended trough a huge territory with lots of variations in each region's genetic makeup, but with a dominance of R1a and R1b, and the language as a whole was the result of this gradual homogeneization after an originally multiethnic and mobile character.
    I agree for the most of your post. That said, a "lingua franca"? Yes, but for PIE it needs I think a languages playing the principal role, already well structured grammatically. Its very typical structure (for me at least) is not a late creation by convergence of very different languages. Just my today opinion.
    I

Ethnic group
    Multiracial Brazilian

Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    I agree for the most of your post. That said, a "lingua franca"? Yes, but for PIE it needs I think a languages playing the principal role, already well structured grammatically. Its very typical structure (for me at least) is not a late creation by convergence of very different languages. Just my today opinion.
    I
    Yes, definitely, but I said a "lingua franca" adopted by different yet similar ethnic groups with a significant R1b-majority Sredny Stog and Caucasian superstrate and/or adstrate. A lingua franca is not necessarily a pidgin or a creole derived from a pidgin, but just a particular language that is usually either dominant politically/socially or geographically very widespread and dispersed (preferably both) in the entire span of the territory, like Aramaic in the Iron Age Middle East for example or Koine Greek in the Aegean era during the Hellenistic perioc. I think PIE was kind of the Aramaic or the Greek of its time, and it probably wasn't exactly the same language anymore after it was adopted by a much larger population (maybe Anatolian represents the remnant of that Early PIE still more geographically and ethnically restricted?)

Ethnic group
    United Kingdom and Baltic

Quote Originally Posted by Ygorcs View Post
    Yes, definitely, but I said a "lingua franca" adopted by different yet similar ethnic groups with a significant R1b-majority Sredny Stog and Caucasian superstrate and/or adstrate. A lingua franca is not necessarily a pidgin or a creole derived from a pidgin, but just a particular language that is usually either dominant politically/socially or geographically very widespread and dispersed (preferably both) in the entire span of the territory, like Aramaic in the Iron Age Middle East for example or Koine Greek in the Aegean era during the Hellenistic perioc. I think PIE was kind of the Aramaic or the Greek of its time, and it probably wasn't exactly the same language anymore after it was adopted by a much larger population.
    While Europe was covered with glaciers, the Black Sea was a lake, smaller than today, its former coasts now submerged. I’ve envisioned R1b dominated populations generally on the South coasts down into Anatolia and R1a generally on the North coasts and then East. There will be many more discoveries around the Black Sea’s former coasts as well as those of the Persian Gulf (J dominated Semitic cultural roots).

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

some old SNP's of Y-R1b were found in Mesolithic Europe from Balkans to East-Baltic and a bit later in Ukraine; what proofs have we to date concerning its old implantation South the Caucasus? Some R1b elite would have had only a go-and-return with just the time to have a lift culturally speaking? Concerning the place of origin of the very Y-R1b involved in IE story I stay prudent

2 members found this post helpful.
    Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    some old SNP's of Y-R1b were found in Mesolithic Europe from Balkans to East-Baltic and a bit later in Ukraine; what proofs have we to date concerning its old implantation South the Caucasus? Some R1b elite would have had only a go-and-return with just the time to have a lift culturally speaking? Concerning the place of origin of the very Y-R1b involved in IE story I stay prudent

The variance of R1b-M269 is heavily concentrated in the Eastern Anatolia/Armenian Highlands, the longest YDNA has been in a place the more variance it accumulates, so that indicates R1b-M269 was in that region for a long time before it expanded elsewhere.

Y-DNA haplogroup
    I2-CTS10228(slavo)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H15(indo euro)

Ethnic group
    Albanian

I think the people that carry the hgR1b or R1a could be the carriers of indo european languages

Y-DNA haplogroup
    T1a2 -Z19945..Jura
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H95a1 ..Pannoni

Ethnic group
    North Alpine Italian

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriele Pashaj View Post
    I think the people that carry the hgR1b or R1a could be the carriers of indo european languages
    so what languages where brought to europe before R1a or Rb arrived ?

How did R1a and R1b people stop that other haplogroups around them to not learn indo-european ?

Elite member

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Quote Originally Posted by Saetrus View Post
    The variance of R1b-M269 is heavily concentrated in the Eastern Anatolia/Armenian Highlands, the longest YDNA has been in a place the more variance it accumulates, so that indicates R1b-M269 was in that region for a long time before it expanded elsewhere.
    Old enugh study, but thanks.
    This question of variance has always puzzled me. Have you not noticed that EVERYTIME the higher variance is in the less denser places and vice-et-versa? Y-haplo's hate always their place of birth? Does this not question people? I don't say I master variance concept; it seems to me it's based upon more verstaile STR's and not SNP's - I red with someones that sometimes it's the result of sink effect rather than of well effect; surely not valuable for every case of high variance, nevertheless. But to trace trails of Y-haplo's SNP's I'm tempted to rely more upon the succession of upstram/downstream SNP's and their absolute (all haplos) + relative (cmpared to the only very haplo in cause). In today pops, it's rather Balkans which show some upstream and downstream SNP's of R1b compared to L23, and not Anatolia or Caucasus; so Anatolia is maybe just a place not too far of the "cradle" of R1b-M269 but it seems to me it received more than it gave concerning it, maybe I'm wrong?... I see the principal trail from Central Asia passing North the Caucasus and not South of it, waiting for more information.
    variance has surely some pertinence but I believe its interpretation ask for caution, so many events can play; I see it has an element of knowing among others, and not the only one, not the JUDGE.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast