Vikings in Portugal

My son-in-law, born in Minho, gets 8.8% Finnish with DNA Land, 8% Finland + 5% Scandinavia with Gencove, 6.6% Baltic with Eurogenes K36.
But of course, it's hard to tell whether this share of northern blood came with the Lusitanians, the Celts, the Germanic tribes, or the Vikings.
I'm not even sure Finnish equates Scandinavian in any way ; it may refer to some northern-WHG derived blood. Anyway, the data above is all I can contribute.
Considering the wide range of possibilities, I would strongly advise against grounding hypotheses in phenotypical observations. Only way to know will be to get people to test. Then Y-dna and autosomal mix could provide clues.
Depending on how you look at it, because in 23 and me or ancestry, you most see much Northern European, however if you look at GEDmatch calculators you will see all Portuguese have significant amounts of Baltic and North Atlantic, which represents genetic markers distinctly different from Mediternaian genes. By the way this North Atlantic and Baltic makes up 50% of the Portuguese DNA. Baltic is uniquely Germanic in origin and according to GEDmatch the average Portuguese has 10% of this Baltic marker. My best guess is most of that comes from the Suebi and Visigoths and maybe 1-2% from Viking Scandinavians and subsequent Scandinavian genetic overlap from the Germanic tribes that settled in 400AD. The Suevi tribe was known to be a more Germanic tribe than the Visigoths who were practically French by the time they migrated to Iberia. Remember that in 567AD the Visigoths declaired full integration and intermarriage between natives, 150 years later (4-5 generations later) the moors invaded and these same Visigoth-native decendents took the entire peninsula back.

From the data from GEDmatch, we have more Northern European DNA from the Baltic than North African, not including the remaining 35-40% North Atlantic DNA that can be linked to the Celts-iron age peoples. It is largely misunderstood that Portuguese and Spaniards have much much more North and Western European DNA on average than people have previously thought. It is also largely misunderstood that the North African DNA in Portuguese and Spaniards is from the moors, when in fact, particularly to the regions of Northern Portugal and Spain (where the supposed North African ydna haplogroups occur at even higher frequencies) is almost entirely from neolithic migrations, 3,000 years ago. This should not come as a surprise considering the Reconquesta itself originated in North Western Iberia, and the idea of Moors somehow settling in this hostile territory is entirely contrary to history. Neolithic North Africans did however settle in the North West and survived in the isolated pockets and mountains of this region from the overwhelming migrations of Celts, but seeing as 5-10% is not much, they were a clear minority.

What also cannot be ignored, despite how low, is the subsequent 1-3% Sub Saharan DNA observed in Southern Europe as a whole, but concentrated in South West Iberia. We know North Africans carry 10-20% sub saharan DNA. When you do the math and consider the 5-10% north African present in Iberians, 1-3% sub saharan makes mathematical sense. Particular for the case of the islanders, DNA exchange between locals and slaves may have occurred to some degree and contribute to the North African Sub Saharan residuals. We also know Brazilians and Cabo Verdan's settled in the islands and brought Sub Saharan DNA with them.

Overall, Portuguese are almost entirely Neolithic Iberian and Celtic, with minor Germanic ancestry followed by ancient North African. Fun fact, we carry the most ancient Gene's in all of Europe. and when you consider thousands of years of civilizations in Portugal, we are the most diverse in Europe

Hello there, my ancestry comes from the region, Portugal/Northern Spain and I have Norwegian/Danish with Orcadian markers. Several tests from different companies show more or less the same results.

This thread has been viewed 26317 times.

Back