Votes: 13 52.0%
  • Greek will go back to Drachma

Votes: 12 48.0%

• Total voters
[h=1]Germany: Issue of War Reparations to Greece ‘Closed’[/h] By
Philip Chrysopoulos -

Oct 11, 2018
3-α.jpg

Berlin sees that the issue of war reparations to Greece is an issue that is legally and politically closed, said German government spokesperson Steffen Seibert on Wednesday. The response came after the Greek government raised again the issue of war reparations, claiming some € 280 billion in damages during the German Occupation.
Seibert referred to the Greek claim responding to a Polish journalist’s question about the position of the German government on the request from the Greek side.
“We have actually discussed this issue many times. Our position is that the issue of German reparations has been legally and politically regulated definitively. Nothing has changed in our position. Other than that, there has not been an official move by the Greek government,” Seibert said.
Seibert was also asked if there is a joint move between Poland and Greece to claim war compensations from Germany.
“Honestly, I have no information about this. It would also be surprising if I had information about possible consultations between Poland and Greece. I do not have them,” the spokesman for Chancellor Angela Merkel concluded.
Earlier, the German press reported that the demand for war reparations is expected to be high on the agenda of the meeting of the German President, Frank Walter Steinmeier, with President of the Hellenic Republic, Prokopis Pavlopoulos.
German magazine Der Spiegel wrote that the Greek parliament has approved a report according to which “Greeks are demanding the sum of € 269.5 billion as compensation for the period of World War II.” The report includes, among other things, demands for compensation of € 10.3 billion for the loans Greece was forced to give Germany during the four-year occupation.
Source: Athens – Macedonian News Agency

TASS: Tsipras to visit Russia in winter

NEWS 08.10.2018

putin-tsipras-thumb-large.jpg

Preparations are underway for a visit to Russia by Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras, according to the TASS news agency on Monday.

TASS cited Russian President Vladimir Putin’s Press Secretary Dmitry Peskov as saying the visit will most likely take place in the coming winter.

“Indeed, Tsipras’ visit (to Russia) and such contact (with Putin) are being prepared. We expect such contact in the winter,” TASS quoted Peskov as saying.
The agency cited a Greek diplomatic source which said that Tsipras may visit Russia in the first half of December.

Relations between the two countries have soured in recent months over the expulsion of two Russia diplomats on charges of interfering with Greece’s domestic affairs.

http://tass.com/politics/1024927

Orthodox priests to be cut from Greek government payroll
Prime minister determined to overhaul country’s complex ties with the church

Helena Smith in Athens

Thu 8 Nov 2018 05.00 GMT Last modified on Thu 8 Nov 2018 12.55 GMT
Athens’ leftist government has taken a radical step in transforming the Greek state’s relations with the powerful Orthodox church, announcing an end to the status of clerics as civil servants.

In the biggest move yet towards the 11-million strong nation becoming a fully fledged secular country, officials said the public sector would cease to have any religious role.

“With this agreement 10,000 civil servant posts will be freed up,” said the government spokesman Dimitris Tzannakopoulos. “Although clerics are not exactly civil servants, in name they are, and are counted as civil servants.”

The prime minister, Alexis Tsipras, an atheist, has said he was determined to overhaul the Greek state’s complex ties with the church. Progressives have long spoken of the need to separate church and state with the “historic” accord now being seen as key to achieving both.

Under a deal between the government and church, priests would be paid from a joint fund that would also manage earnings generated from properties whose ownership has long been disputed between the two bodies. Salaries, however, would still be dispensed by the state through an annual subsidy, set at €200m, that the church will receive.

The Greek church is by far the country’s richest institution with hotels, enterprises and other assets in its portfolio. The scale of such wealth frequently caused friction during Greece’s long-running financial crisis. Under the deal, revenues from properties whose ownership has been contested since the early 1950s would be split 50-50.

Tzannakopoulos said the accord also sought to ensure religious neutrality for a state long accused of prejudicing citizens who were not Greek Orthodox. Athens has faced fierce criticism for perceived violation of the rights of religious minorities, be they Muslims, Jehovah’s Witnesses or Catholics.

“Religious neutrality [means] that the Greek state will not be able to recognise certain religions with more or less rights,” Tzannakopoulos added. “But what doesn’t change is recognition of the fact that the Orthodox church has the overwhelming majority of [religious] faithful.”

These priests will no longer be considered as public servants but as farmers who milk their cows. Seems that the division between state and religion, one of the most important achievements of western civilization, will still take a long time to be applied in Greece.
Germans have a lot of money.

These priests will no longer be considered as public servants but as farmers who milk their cows. Seems that the division between state and religion, one of the most important achievements of western civilization, will still take a long time to be applied in Greece.

Stop with this constant provocation against Greeks or there will be consequences. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?

Stop with this constant provocation against Greeks or there will be consequences. DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?
What is provocation in my post? Can you explain me please?

Oh boy,

search better the older and the new agrrement
and find out why this happened now

This is an provocative post:
Oh boy,
again someone who instead of Looking his country,
looks the neighbours and dreams on !!!!!!

search better the older and the new agrrement
And don't make fast conclusions as in Katsifas case.

Last edited:
Tsipras tells Putin Greece is concerned over Turkey’s purchase of Russian weapons
Military & Defense December 07, 17:55
Earlier, Russia concluded a contract with Turkey to provide air defense systems S-400 Triumf by the end of 2019
MOSCOW, December 7. /TASS/. Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras has said that at negotiations with Russian President Vladimir Putin he expressed to the Russian leader his concern over Turkey’s purchase of Russian weapons.

"We discussed developments in the Eastern Mediterranean, a new energy map that is being formed in this region, Russia’s role and both countries’ relations with Turkey. I expressed our concern to President Putin over Turkey’s programs for armaments, because it wishes to preserve a casus belli (reason for war) with our country," Tsipras told a news conference after the talks.

Earlier, Russia concluded a contract with Turkey to provide air defense systems S-400 Triumf by the end of 2019.

I hope it finds its feet again. Such a beautiful place steeped in history, architecture, art & culture.

This thread has been viewed 225873 times.

Back