Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 61 of 61

Thread: The great pairings of Y-DNA haplogroups in prehistory

  1. #51
    Advisor Achievements:
    VeteranThree Friends50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Angela's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-01-11
    Posts
    15,645
    Points
    301,901
    Level
    100
    Points: 301,901, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%


    Ethnic group
    Italian
    Country: USA - New York



    Maciamo;462742]I understand your point about Slavic I2a1b-L621. But I am nevertheless convinced that this branch of I2a also evolved from Balkanic I2a farmers, probably from the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture who later ventured into R1a territory in central Ukraine and were assimilated before later waves of R1a unfurled onto Southeast Europe.
    Whether that's what happened, or whether it was a slightly different clade that was never Neolithicized, my point was that in the case of both I2a and G2a, the clades which had large expansions after the late Neolithic were those which happened to be either on the steppe or in eastern areas where they were swept up in the Indo-European migrations. I doubt those I2a and G2a people, even if their lineages started out in CT, were any longer very Neolithic farmer like. Autosomal signatures can disappear or at least greatly diminish in five or six generations. At any rate, I don't think this phenomenon had anything to do with competition during the Neolithic itself.

    Anyway that doesn't change anything to the fact that I2a and G2a were found together in most Neolithic sites in Europe, and that the regions where Neolithic ancestry is the strongest today, be it in Iberia, southeast France, Switzerland, Tyrol, Italy or Greece, have a typical blend of I2a and G2a. I did not mention former Yugoslovia or the Carpathians on purpose because the origins of Dinaric or Slavic I2a is not clear enough at present.
    I agree.


    Non si fa il proprio dovere perchè qualcuno ci dica grazie, lo si fa per principio, per se stessi, per la propria dignità. Oriana Fallaci

  2. #52
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    1 members found this post helpful.
    check this : http://www.pnas.org/content/110/9/3298.long

    strontium isotope analysis in the Danube Gorge 8.2-7.9 ka suggests many farmers daughters prefered to marry HG fishermen in the Danube Gorge, as these HG had a better life than EEF

    ultimately it was overpopulation because of neolithic population growth that ended this HG way of life

    I hope we'll get some y-DNA from this period and area soon

    I wonder whether this HG tribe finally went extinct or were they able to transform themselves into succesfull farmers ?
    Last edited by bicicleur; 25-07-15 at 10:31.

  3. #53
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    check this : http://www.pnas.org/content/110/9/3298.long

    strontium isotope analysis in the Danube Gorge 8.2-7.9 ka suggests many farmers doughters prefered to marry HG fishermen in the Danube Gorge, as these HG had a better life than EEF

    ultimately it was overpopulation because of neolithic population growth that ended this HG way of life

    I hope we'll get some y-DNA from this period and area soon

    I wonder whether this HG tribe finally went extinct or were they able to transform themselves into succesfull farmers ?
    What's the conclusion? The better life leads to extinction? ;)
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

  4. #54
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    these HG had a better life than EEF as long as they had enough hunting grounds
    but EEF population explosion changed all that

  5. #55
    Regular Member Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    17-03-13
    Posts
    763
    Points
    6,120
    Level
    23
    Points: 6,120, Level: 23
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 430
    Overall activity: 3.0%


    Country: Sweden



    Maciamo;462742]I understand your point about Slavic I2a1b-L621. But I am nevertheless convinced that this branch of I2a also evolved from Balkanic I2a farmers, probably from the Cucuteni-Trypillian culture who later ventured into R1a territory in central Ukraine and were assimilated before later waves of R1a unfurled onto Southeast Europe.

    Slavic I2a1b-L621?
    Balkanic I2a farmers?
    Cucuteni-Trypillian I2a1b?

    Do you have any aDNA evidence to prove your wild fantasy?

  6. #56
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    these HG had a better life than EEF as long as they had enough hunting grounds
    but EEF population explosion changed all that
    How was their life better if most of their kids were dead? It was the EEF who overpopulated HGs.

  7. #57
    King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,920
    Points
    18,601
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,601, Level: 41
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    check this : http://www.pnas.org/content/110/9/3298.long

    strontium isotope analysis in the Danube Gorge 8.2-7.9 ka suggests many farmers daughters prefered to marry HG fishermen in the Danube Gorge, as these HG had a better life than EEF

    ultimately it was overpopulation because of neolithic population growth that ended this HG way of life

    I hope we'll get some y-DNA from this period and area soon

    I wonder whether this HG tribe finally went extinct or were they able to transform themselves into succesfull farmers ?
    When we talk about Hunter gatherers and Early European Farmers I like to make an analogy with more recent examples of interactions to get a clear picture to what the clash would have been like when this took place although it does not seem too clear at present how this has happened. I believe that both groups were deeply set in their ways with huge cultural differences and believes and none of them was ready to adopt the others way of life without a high degree of friction misunderstanding and general outlook. Both would have perceived the world extremely different and what was sacred and important to one was an absurdity to the other. Culture clashes entrenched with deep emotions for one reason or another would have been inevitable.

    I like to compare it to some extent to what has happened with aboriginal Australians and to some extent to the American Indians when they were taken over of Europeans and their treatment and the way they were perceived is still visibly traumatic to this day and age. Assimilation is never an easy thing, so its not a matter of 'Oh hello Welcome nice to see you, how can we work together situation'. Thats not really what human nature is like and history proved it time and time again. I don't think this analogy is too far fetched (even though it can sound like it) although, the technology divide was more intense then the Neolithic, but different enough to cause the same reactions and results devastation and difficulty on many levels absorbed by anger and fear of change and the superior bullying attitude that humans are famous for on one group over another. The same scenario could have repeated itself with the arrival of the indo-Europeans migrations later.

  8. #58
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    bicicleur's Avatar
    Join Date
    27-01-13
    Location
    Zwevegem, Belgium
    Posts
    5,382
    Points
    47,218
    Level
    67
    Points: 47,218, Level: 67
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%


    Country: Belgium - Flanders



    Quote Originally Posted by Maleth View Post
    When we talk about Hunter gatherers and Early European Farmers I like to make an analogy with more recent examples of interactions to get a clear picture to what the clash would have been like when this took place although it does not seem too clear at present how this has happened. I believe that both groups were deeply set in their ways with huge cultural differences and believes and none of them was ready to adopt the others way of life without a high degree of friction misunderstanding and general outlook. Both would have perceived the world extremely different and what was sacred and important to one was an absurdity to the other. Culture clashes entrenched with deep emotions for one reason or another would have been inevitable.

    I like to compare it to some extent to what has happened with aboriginal Australians and to some extent to the American Indians when they were taken over of Europeans and their treatment and the way they were perceived is still visibly traumatic to this day and age. Assimilation is never an easy thing, so its not a matter of 'Oh hello Welcome nice to see you, how can we work together situation'. Thats not really what human nature is like and history proved it time and time again. I don't think this analogy is too far fetched (even though it can sound like it) although, the technology divide was more intense then the Neolithic, but different enough to cause the same reactions and results devastation and difficulty on many levels absorbed by anger and fear of change and the superior bullying attitude that humans are famous for on one group over another. The same scenario could have repeated itself with the arrival of the indo-Europeans migrations later.
    for a few centuries these HG could survive and maintain there own lifestyle in the Danube Gorge (which is 134 km long) while farmers where expanding downstream and upstream
    that is because the farmers couldn't exploit their technological advance in the Gorge and they had forgotten survival skills without neolithic technology
    as you mention, distrust between both groups must have been huge
    nevertheless farmers daughters were attracted by the HG way of life and came to live amongst them - at least, that's what it looks like
    there were also trade relations between the farmers and the HG
    so some of the distrust must have gone (the Vikings in Newfoundland never got that far in their relations with Paleo-Eskimo's, Inuits and Native Americans allthough trading possibilities are obvious)
    I wonder whether in the end they finally got extinct or became farmers themselves
    I guess some HG families became farmers despite the huge cultural gap and some other HG families maintained their traditional way of life in the Gorge and became extinct

  9. #59
    King Achievements:
    Three Friends10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Maleth's Avatar
    Join Date
    22-03-14
    Location
    Malta
    Posts
    1,920
    Points
    18,601
    Level
    41
    Points: 18,601, Level: 41
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 2.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    EV13 A7136 y18675G+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H

    Country: Malta



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    for a few centuries these HG could survive and maintain there own lifestyle in the Danube Gorge (which is 134 km long) while farmers where expanding downstream and upstream
    It would have taken its natural course and some tribes would have survived longer in their way of life (like what happened in both Australian and America and in other more isolated locations world wide, all depending on geographical and economical situation which could permit it.

    nevertheless farmers daughters were attracted by the HG way of life and came to live amongst them - at least, that's what it looks like
    there were also trade relations between the farmers and the HG
    so some of the distrust must have gone (the Vikings in Newfoundland never got that far in their relations with Paleo-Eskimo's, Inuits and Native Americans allthough trading possibilities are obvious)
    I wonder whether in the end they finally got extinct or became farmers themselves
    I guess some HG families became farmers despite the huge cultural gap and some other HG families maintained their traditional way of life in the Gorge and became extinct
    It would be all an evolution with different scenarios in different locations evolving over a period of hundreds of years. In all groups one would find the ultra nationalists who are not willing to change anything and if you do seems like its an insult to their forefather and would even remain so even if they starve to death.You get moderates and progressives....meaning people that are willing to learn from others and adopt best practices without much emotion and feeling of doom.

    Our present traits would be similar ancient humans its just they did not term everything like we do today. Tribe leaders had a lot to do with how much they would have the willingness to preserve their way of life or moved forward and their perception of things influencing the people that followed. It all happens very gradual and people (of the same stock) in different areas would adopt lifestyles and economies that people in other areas would not accept simply because their overall experiences would be different. The world is going through a similar situation at present but on global level and not just regional. It will be two steps forward and one backwards, but its an ever evolving process.

  10. #60
    Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    LeBrok's Avatar
    Join Date
    18-11-09
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    10,331
    Points
    113,888
    Level
    100
    Points: 113,888, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

    Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world
    Country: Canada-Alberta



    Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    for a few centuries these HG could survive and maintain there own lifestyle in the Danube Gorge (which is 134 km long) while farmers where expanding downstream and upstream
    that is because the farmers couldn't exploit their technological advance in the Gorge and they had forgotten survival skills without neolithic technology
    as you mention, distrust between both groups must have been huge
    nevertheless farmers daughters were attracted by the HG way of life and came to live amongst them - at least, that's what it looks like
    there were also trade relations between the farmers and the HG
    so some of the distrust must have gone (the Vikings in Newfoundland never got that far in their relations with Paleo-Eskimo's, Inuits and Native Americans allthough trading possibilities are obvious)
    I wonder whether in the end they finally got extinct or became farmers themselves
    I guess some HG families became farmers despite the huge cultural gap and some other HG families maintained their traditional way of life in the Gorge and became extinct
    I agree for most, except the highlighted part. Farmers could have traded their daughters for some services and alliances. Very often HGs lacking women, because of high mortality in small tribes, they need to "outsource" them. HGs are also known to steal women from other tribes or farmers. I doubt farmer women are ever attracted to HGs lifestyle. Though, they might have been attracted to handsome warriors of HG type, in romantic and sexual sens.

  11. #61
    Regular Member Achievements:
    100 Experience Points7 days registered

    Join Date
    01-08-15
    Location
    USA
    Age
    36
    Posts
    11
    Points
    155
    Level
    2
    Points: 155, Level: 2
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 95
    Overall activity: 4.0%

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    Probably E

    Country: Germany - Sachsen



    Quote Originally Posted by DuPidh View Post
    I think your comment is a bit inappropriate. Of course is a speculation but its an educated one based on present data available about y dna. My only concern is that there is not enough data for the whole regions. Regions like Anatolia or Levant are vast and there is need for a lot more data to draw a more accurate conclusion. Anatolia to my point of view is a collection of ancient peoples regardless the fact that today they live under the state of Turkey.
    If some haplogroups were more successful than others has a lot to do with their inherited immunity against illnesses. The haplogroup R appears to be resistible. Balkan populations were hit by plague more than two times in the last 1500 years but I dont know any plague in North with Balkan or Italian devastation results.

    Maciamo, I have not seen any evidence that I2 is high or present at all among Kurds. This internet myth is based on some super outdated study that did not distinguish correctly between some branches of J and I2. A similar scenario existed for the Caucacus mountains, in which Ossetians or nearby population was shown to have high amounts of haplogroup I, later studies of different samples found zero I2 but plenty of J.

    Turkish I2a Dinaric is from Balkan Muslims.

    If I2a Dinaric was present in the ancient Balkan, than it would be common haplogroup in the Roman and Greek world. Yet this is not the case at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •