How long humankind will survive?

How long humankind will last from now on?

• Maybe few hundred years due to total annihilation and destruction of Earth.

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • 10,000 years

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • 100,000 as long as we already existed as Homo Sapiens

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Few million years, the life span of avarege species on Earth.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 to 5 billion years, as long as our Sun shines.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 trillion years, till death of the last star in our Galaxy.

Votes: 5 41.7%

• Total voters
Even 500 years would be awesome stretch of time for human existence.
n

It is believed that dinosaurs lived on Earth for 350 mil years. Humans can exceed that if conditions allow. Its excepted that the biggest surprises in science will come from genetics. That will mean that Einstein will be considered a low IQ person in a 1000 years since genetics will produce smarter people. Blacks will be a lot smarter than they are today. So the hope is the humans could find a way to travel to other stars. So the possibilities are infinite

If Humans are able to colonize the earth than I'd say that humans would evolve their separate ways into extinction but if not possibly a millennium or two

It's ridiculous to think in terms of millions of years since modern humans (Homo sapiens) have only existed for about 100,000 years and all were very different genetically (all black skin, hair and eyes, no lactose tolerance, etc.) to most people today.

With the advent of genetic engineering and gene therapy we can expect that humanity will evolve much faster within the next 2 to 5 generations, and humans might evolve into a distinct species from current Homo sapiens within just a few centuries. That is of course if robots have not annihilated us before the end of this century. According to the famous futurist Ray Kurzweil (Chief of Engineering at Google), all new scientific and technological development will be carried by artificial intelligence and robots around 2045, in barely 30 years. At that time, humans won't have any control over their destiny anymore. Enjoy life while you still can.

Personally I'm very sceptical of Ray Kurzweil's predictions, especially the notion "Humanity will be obsolete". I'm not convinced that "true" AI (especially the malevolent type that Hollywood wants to sell us every now and then) is even viable, at least with current technologies. In my opinion, the technological singularity can't happen because the underlying assumption - that Moore's Law can be applied onto every single aspect of human technology and society - is a fundamentally wrong one. When Moore formulated his law, he only ever had integrated semiconductor circuitry in mind. Even for that, and this is something that has been known for a while, Moore's Law has to come to an end because of the physical limitations (which Moore himself very clearly stated). This is why I think that the technological singularity that Kurzweil "summons" just won't happen and can't happen.

On the other hand, I would say that we tend to vastly overestimate (and also mis-estimate) the applications of technologies in the shortrun, and vastly underestimate the degree of impact that technologies have on transforming societies in the long run. Think of how ubiquitous the internet has become in our life.

What I agree on is the notion that the likelhood that humanity in its current form will eventually disappear - because it evolves naturally or artificially into something else - is likely. At least its the preferable option over extinction.

The greatest threat that I do see to humanity at the moment is actually environmental depletion and global warming, and this definitely poses the risk of extinction for us, or at the least, the collapse and mass die-off of civilization. That, coupled with the issue that many problems remain unaddressed due to unwillingness of politicians to address them. For a lot of politicians I get the impression that there's the attitude that "well, we can't stop global warming, why even bother, lets continue business as usual". That's an attitude that can't lead us anywhere but certain doom.

With the advent of genetic engineering and gene therapy we can expect that humanity will evolve much faster within the next 2 to 5 generations, and humans might evolve into a distinct species from current Homo sapiens within just a few centuries. That is of course if robots have not annihilated us before the end of this century.
Ah, it is way too fast. Even if one can develop 2nd pair of arms with new joints, or bigger heads and brains, it would need to get synchronize with brain development. New neuronal networks need to be created to move new parts of the body from motor skills perspective. Neurons from these parts need to be wired into existing brain parts to give feeling of touch, pain and pleasure to these parts. Special map/body recognition need to be updated too, and many other parts of brain, with sens of esthetics. This is a very complicated process, considering that we just began to understand how brain and genes work. In 5 generations we might have complete knowledge how they work and start some experiments. Having said that who would want a child with 4 arms, a melon head or solar panel grafted into the skin?
I doubt that humans would need much updating to be happy, but to make them healthy, smart, beautiful and live as long as they want. Almost like tweaking only.

According to the famous futurist Ray Kurzweil (Chief of Engineering at Google), all new scientific and technological development will be carried by artificial intelligence and robots around 2045, in barely 30 years. At that time, humans won't have any control over their destiny anymore. Enjoy life while you still can.
They are missing one crucial part. Robots don't have feelings. Without feelings they don't care if humans exist or not, or if they are our slaves. Without feelings they always will be our perfect slaves. So far we don't have a clue how to make an electronic circuit to make machine feel pain, anger or love. If it happens however, that we make a robot who feels something, we need to destroy it immediately!

On the other hand, I would say that we tend to vastly overestimate (and also mis-estimate) the applications of technologies in the shortrun, and vastly underestimate the degree of impact that technologies have on transforming societies in the long run. Think of how ubiquitous the internet has become in our life.
There is a disparity what futurists in 60s envisioned for us. No flying cars, instead everybody walks with marvelous smartphone in a pocket. It brings a valid question if we are able to predict next 100 years not mentioning a million.

What I agree on is the notion that the likelhood that humanity in its current form will eventually disappear - because it evolves naturally or artificially into something else - is likely. At least its the preferable option over extinction.
When we have control over our destiny we tend to stick to status quo more often than risking going into unknown. Once we start making kids in hospitals, meaning 100% of human control, we might "freeze" human genome into government regulated form, and never let it change for "safety" reason. We are scared of genetically modified foods already, who would let to experiment on human genome? Franken humans are coming!

The greatest threat that I do see to humanity at the moment is actually environmental depletion and global warming, and this definitely poses the risk of extinction for us, or at the least, the collapse and mass die-off of civilization.
I'm a bit more optimistic about global warming. All, or almost all, known collapses of civilizations came in times of global cooling and droughts. Warming seems to be more forgiving. After all Neolithic revolution started between glacial warming times, not during, and in spite of more severe weather patterns.

That, coupled with the issue that many problems remain unaddressed due to unwillingness of politicians to address them. For a lot of politicians I get the impression that there's the attitude that "well, we can't stop global warming, why even bother, lets continue business as usual". That's an attitude that can't lead us anywhere but certain doom.
We could stop anthropogenic part of global warming, unfortunately we still can't separate this effect from normal climatic fluctuations, or give a definitive answer how big the anthropogenic part is. I would rather spend these billions to make sure we don't dump industrial and residential waste into the oceans, lakes and rivers. Oceans are much more difficult to clean than air, with consequences for sea life and humans possibly for thousands of years. Sadly we are neglecting this more urgent issue concentrating on CO2, which actually is not a pollution but food for plants. I'm not saying we should ignore this issue forever, healthy balance is the key, just saying to spend limited founds wisely.
At this moment, due to our incomplete knowledge, elevated CO2 might be protecting us from going back into Ice Age, which would be much more catastrophic than degree or two of warmth and a meter higher sea level.

We'll be lucky to make the next 100 years without de-evolving any further into dumb ape-men that throw stones at one another as a greeting.

One merely has to stop playing with their iphone and posting on FB [as if 90% of those people really care] as if it's the end of the world if you don't post the next selfie... and "smell the roses" to see that the world is going to the dogs and is going fast.

I mean just a few months ago you had low-browed losers - two legged vermin that should be ashamed to sully the name human with their filthy existence - goad a man to jump off a parking lot's roof to commit suicide. The month before that two mothers and their children could have potentially drowned as they were caught by the tide in a vacation site... you know what the response was? It wasn't fatso rolling to the life guard station, it was every slack jaw pulling out their cell phones and video recording it. ISIS is murdering people left, right and center ... and the countries [west] that could possibly stop them are sitting sticking their fingers where the sun doesn't shine or following an idiot in blaming the wrong people [yes, I am calling the US/Obama an idiot because if we listened to him just a little while ago, instead of Putin/Russia, we'd have armed the WRONG side of the Syrian war].

I could give you a list a few ten of thousand pages long on such behavior and similar, all within a 12 month time frame from all around the world.

However the average simple joe - the sheeple as they say - don't see this because they are just that... sheep people. They'd believe their leaders shoot sunshine from their rear ends if someone got on the TV and said this.

All the little toys - phones, video games, movies, etc. - those are merely illusions to make it seem as if we are advancing. Yet my 2004 cell phone can be thrown down an apartment staircase from the seventh floor and still be in one piece, yet my 2015 iphone would shatter into a thousand pieces. I quit playing video games years ago because a) the graphics are horrible and b) the gameplay painfully simplistic compared to older games. Movies - as a friend said, the definition of acting was when the actors names were bigger than the movie's titles in the intro... nowadays most modern "actors" and "actresses" couldn't act their way out of a sopping wet paperbag if it was transparent.

I mean during WWII, even WWI, the public and military inventions were incredible.

Nowadays you'll be lucky to get a car that'll last five years without falling to pieces... that's if you're not too much of a sheep to pay $5,000+ for the newest model when the difference between the 2015 and the 2014 model maybe a new button... yet there's still vehicles from the early 1900 running around. Northern European countries - Russia - have WWI trucks still working.

Most clapbox modern homes - those ant farm subdivisions where, as my father said jokingly once you are close enough to spit on your neighbor [the mindset of a sheep / ant if there ever was one] - won't last 50 years. Yet there's castles, villas, houses all around the world that are 500+ years old and still habitable not to mention some of the older 1,000+ constructions of prior years.

There's also the fact that we are getting stupider. Proven many times over... and no, having a car that drives itself doesn't prove you're intelligent. You could be a vegetable, it won't matter because the car doesn't need you... that as of Victorian times we are stupider and there's even studies that say an ancient Roman transplanted into modern times would be considered a genius of geniuses.

Also health care - excellent idea. That and welfare. Support people whom, 100+ years ago, cruel as it sounds wouldn't survive yet alone reproduce and let's see how weak the gene pool gets. I have nothing against phyiscal / mental disabilities, however, you have to be rather dumb not to realize that the number of people suffering from any manner of such disabilities is not decreasing with our health care / support systems but increasing.

I mean you have to be an absolute mental case to support the idea of giving birth to a kid without a brain - yet only a few years ago that was the newest trend.

The unfortunate thing is, is the average simple joe / little minded sheeple, doesn't possess the intelligence to understand this. Or the fact that as a relatively young species we have caused the most damage to the world in the last 200 years than any other prior humanoid. And no prior humanoids - such as cave people - weren't as stupid as you'd like to believe.

This is obvious with the ideas we'll be around long enough to see global warming come to fruitation.

With the justice system appeasing to the thug - and ignoring the victim or turning the victim into a criminal / a victim all over again - in 100 years we'd have de-evolved to a mindset and world not unlike Mad Max. Where the thugs run roughshod and you're nothing but chattle if you can't defend yourself.

We'll be lucky to make the next 100 years without de-evolving any further into dumb ape-men that throw stones at one another as a greeting.
First clue that we are dealing with a person who loves to exaggerate. ;)

One merely has to stop playing with their iphone and posting on FB [as if 90% of those people really care] as if it's the end of the world if you don't post the next selfie... and "smell the roses" to see that the world is going to the dogs and is going fast.
Yes, there are few very social people who need to connected none stop. However without smart phones they were constantly chatting with someone. We might appreciate them being quite now, just texting. :) Remember, every change doesn't bring only disadvantages. There are also good sides.

I could give you a list a few ten of thousand pages long on such behavior and similar, all within a 12 month time frame from all around the world.
I bet you could. We can also pull many examples of smart people in action around the planet.

However the average simple joe - the sheeple as they say - don't see this because they are just that... sheep people. They'd believe their leaders shoot sunshine from their rear ends if someone got on the TV and said this.
What would be your solution to deal with simple joe? We can always blame the evolution or god(s) for creating them.

All the little toys - phones, video games, movies, etc. - those are merely illusions to make it seem as if we are advancing.
It has nothing to do with evolutionary advances, but making new tools which help us live. We also have a choice not to use them.

Yet my 2004 cell phone can be thrown down an apartment staircase from the seventh floor and still be in one piece, yet my 2015 iphone would shatter into a thousand pieces.
I had one of these, Motorola flip phone, very durable. Although I praise my iPhone much more, for internet access, gps, maps, translation, voice dictation, music, etc which makes my job much easier and more efficient. It saves me money, enough to buy many of these iphones every year if I lose one. My last iphone 4s worked fine 4 years till I got a new model. I dropped my iphone 3 once, went to the apple store and they replaced it for free!

I mean during WWII, even WWI, the public and military inventions were incredible.
Since we got MRI scanners, organ transplants, space rockets, smart phones, internet, 24 hour delivery around the world, super computers, flat screen TVs, solar panels, cordless tools, all inclusive vacation for simple Joe, atom reactors, satellites, gps, desalination plants, genetic code sequencing, eradicated polio, fridges that give ice, music in pocket devices. Isn't it impressive?! All in spite of simple Joe stupidity!

Nowadays you'll be lucky to get a car that'll last five years without falling to pieces... that's if you're not too much of a sheep to pay ,000+ for the newest model when the difference between the 2015 and the 2014 model maybe a new button...
It is not my experience. 5 years in one car with only oil and tire changes. That is impressive! We should mention that today's cars are few folds more complicated with thousands of parts. We also have much more car now than 50 years ago, AC, power steering, windows, brakes, active suspension, 200-300 horsepower, winter tires, navigation, music, fuel efficiency, automatic transmission, and soon it will drive by itself.

yet there's still vehicles from the early 1900 running around. Northern European countries - Russia - have WWI trucks still working.
And in Cuba, because their economies suck. They also use 50 litters of gasoline or more per 100km to churn 50 Hp. Contrary to what you say they were not good quality either, some of them still run but with constant repairs. The plus side was that they were so simple that only hammer, pliers and roll of wire was needed to fix them.

Most clapbox modern homes - those ant farm subdivisions where, as my father said jokingly once you are close enough to spit on your neighbor [the mindset of a sheep / ant if there ever was one] - won't last 50 years.
Isn't it the idea of a city to be able to spit on your neighbors? I'm guessing you like living in a village, where you don't need to look at simple Joe every minute.

Yet there's castles, villas, houses all around the world that are 500+ years old and still habitable not to mention some of the older 1,000+ constructions of prior years.
Yes castles and villas were build by rich and they are still standing. Most of simple Joes lived in wooden one room shacks with other 10 members of family. These shacks are all gone that's why you only see the stone castles and villas. 200-300 castles are still standing in America too.

There's also the fact that we are getting stupider. Proven many times over... and no, having a car that drives itself doesn't prove you're intelligent.
It proves that we as a group are intelligent enough to make them.

You could be a vegetable, it won't matter because the car doesn't need you... that as of Victorian times we are stupider and there's even studies that say an ancient Roman transplanted into modern times would be considered a genius of geniuses.
And yet we have cars, airplanes, computers and smartphones not them.

Also health care - excellent idea. That and welfare. Support people whom, 100+ years ago, cruel as it sounds wouldn't survive yet alone reproduce and let's see how weak the gene pool gets. I have nothing against phyiscal / mental disabilities, however, you have to be rather dumb not to realize that the number of people suffering from any manner of such disabilities is not decreasing with our health care / support systems but increasing.
Isn't compassion and empathy part of being human? Would you rather want to have cold and cruel people around?

I mean you have to be an absolute mental case to support the idea of giving birth to a kid without a brain - yet only a few years ago that was the newest trend.
This is a new phenomenon of our advanced times, therefor no solution yet.
Anyway, thanks to human genius, in few decades or centuries we can fix this genetic calamities by genetic engineering. We wouldn't need to make such difficult and cruel choices anymore. However, no matter what we do, someone if future will complain that everyone around is beautiful, healthy and smart.

The unfortunate thing is, is the average simple joe / little minded sheeple, doesn't possess the intelligence to understand this. Or the fact that as a relatively young species we have caused the most damage to the world in the last 200 years than any other prior humanoid. And no prior humanoids - such as cave people - weren't as stupid as you'd like to believe.
Because they didn't have technology and knowledge to produce enough food to feed 7 billion people. Again, it is something new we face. Giving some time we can clean what we contaminated.

This is obvious with the ideas we'll be around long enough to see global warming come to fruitation.
Without global warming we would face new Ice Age. Perhaps you would like it better? I guess global warming have good sides too, and makes plants very happy.

First clue that we are dealing with a person who loves to exaggerate. ;)

I’d like to know if you actually believe the rubbish you post. I mean reading your comments indicates yet someone who believes anything they are told because they don’t possess the intelligence to see the big picture.

And trust me – intelligence vs smart is quite different. The average joe doesn’t know this because they want to think themselves intelligent but the main factor of intelligence is comprehension… something a vast majority of people lack [obvious with one’s pathetic driving skills]. On the other hand smart is the ability to learn – our dogs are smart because they can learn tricks, however, occasionally you’ll get an intelligent dog that will learn through trial and error without any human interference.

I mean the average human can’t be that intelligent when piglets in a number of tests are proven to have the same learning skills as 5 year olds.

Yes, there are few very social people who need to connected none stop. However without smart phones they were constantly chatting with someone. We might appreciate them being quite now, just texting. :) Remember, every change doesn't bring only disadvantages. There are also good sides.

A few - a joke if there ever was one. Or do you cover your ears and go lala with the thousands upon thousands of similar stories that make the news yearly? Let me guess when ISIS comes on the news you turn the channel or flip to the rag magazine columns on useless celebs.

I bet you could. We can also pull many examples of smart people in action around the planet.

Oh?

Like the cop who gave his boots to the homeless guy last year and everyone was jumping down his throat trying to figure out why he went out of the way to do this.

See that’s a funny comment because if humans were by nature good then what we’re seeing nowadays with a considerable increase in crime, domestic violence, child abuse, etc., etc., etc. wouldn’t exist.

We aren’t evolving, we’re de-evolving. That was quite obvious with the slack jaws I passed yesterday, English – Canadian – about 20 years old and I couldn’t understand anymore than 25% of what they were saying because they were using such horrid slang. And I speak slang as readily as proper English seeing as I worked in a mental health center for the criminally insane & at a mall affectionately dubbed the mall from hell in Vancouver because of the sheer drug activity [not even the cops wanted to tangle with those people – and this included Triade and Hells Angels underlings].

You obviously go about town with rosy glasses on cause having lived in Calgary myself [I’ve lived across Canada, in five USA states and a number of European / UK cities] I can tell you the town is hardly a land of gumdrops. I mean unless it was fibs, you’ve got Mexican cartel moving into town.

What would be your solution to deal with simple joe? We can always blame the evolution or god(s) for creating them.

Are you aware of the fact that Alberta in the 30s to 60s was sterilizing people with mental and physical disabilities and I am not talking people in mental hospitals or prison but the general public. However, I seriously doubt you even have 10% knowledge of the history behind your own town.

As it is the simple joe is quite simple [joe]. Welfare and support systems have to be revised – Mike Harris in Ontario wanted the deadbeats tested on drugs & alcohol and to get training/schooling to get them off welfare. He was laughed out of the House of Commons.

However if you look to China it is a devil to get on such support systems – they don’t even spend a quarter of the money the US wastes a year.

It has nothing to do with evolutionary advances, but making new tools which help us live. We also have a choice not to use them.

I had one of these, Motorola flip phone, very durable. Although I praise my iPhone much more, for internet access, gps, maps, translation, voice dictation, music, etc which makes my job much easier and more efficient. It saves me money, enough to buy many of these iphones every year if I lose one. My last iphone 4s worked fine 4 years till I got a new model. I dropped my iphone 3 once, went to the apple store and they replaced it for free!

Since we got MRI scanners, organ transplants, space rockets, smart phones, internet, 24 hour delivery around the world, super computers, flat screen TVs, solar panels, cordless tools, all inclusive vacation for simple Joe, atom reactors, satellites, gps, desalination plants, genetic code sequencing, eradicated polio, fridges that give ice, music in pocket devices. Isn't it impressive?! All in spite of simple Joe stupidity!

HAHA

The only inventions you mentioned which were useful was satellites – computers – genetic code sequencing – and ice boxes [fridges]. Other than that the stuff is all toys for the simple joe to be entertained so that they do not pay attention to what is going on.

Who cares if the lion will be extinct in 50 years [if we’re lucky] when the latest Grand Theft Auto was just released. Or the last crappy pathetic acting movie [the stupid Jurassic World for example].

However, you are like the average joe … with the “good”, going off your dreamland mindset, personality of saying who cares whatever will happen won’t happen in my generation let the suckers in the future deal with the problems.

It is not my experience. 5 years in one car with only oil and tire changes. That is impressive! We should mention that today's cars are few folds more complicated with thousands of parts. We also have much more car now than 50 years ago, AC, power steering, windows, brakes, active suspension, 200-300 horsepower, winter tires, navigation, music, fuel efficiency, automatic transmission, and soon it will drive by itself.

Are you for real? Did you happen to go to any education system beyond high school by chance?

The 30s and 50s we were talking of flying cars – the closest we coming to “flying” is a vehicle that when released no one but the rich will be capable of affording yet according to Popular Mechanics everyone was to have such a vehicle.

Have you ever looked at human history or too stuck trying to impress some FB “friends” whom in the long run really couldn’t give a fk about what you do?

Wait don’t answer that because your response proves you haven’t a rat’s ass clue what you’re talking about. Cause the inventions – vehicle and otherwise – of WWII [given what we had to work with] makes what has come since garbage.

Human intelligence has decreased as obvious with the lack of invention / inventive nature in a mere 50-70 years.

And in Cuba, because their economies suck. They also use 50 litters of gasoline or more per 100km to churn 50 Hp. Contrary to what you say they were not good quality either, some of them still run but with constant repairs. The plus side was that they were so simple that only hammer, pliers and roll of wire was needed to fix them.

I didn't say Cuba.

Isn't it the idea of a city to be able to spit on your neighbors? I'm guessing you like living in a village, where you don't need to look at simple Joe every minute.

Goof. Obviously a little simple joe-boy if you couldn’t grasp what I was saying.

But I’ve lived all across Canada, in five US states, and in Europe – even Asiatic countries. I’ve lived in cities almost ten times bigger than the cow town known as Calgary. And you, my friend, are a stereotypical redneck Albertian [ya all great, but we really haven’t a clue about the real world because I live on the same block as grandpa did and the furthest I travelled was Edmonton to live].

Tokyo – Hong Kong – Delhi & Cairo – Berlin – Moscow – New York – San Fran. – Toronto – London [UK] – Glasgow – Shanghai – Beijing.

And those aren’t towns I’ve just passed through visiting, those are towns I’ve lived in for more than a year.

Yes castles and villas were build by rich and they are still standing. Most of simple Joes lived in wooden one room shacks with other 10 members of family. These shacks are all gone that's why you only see the stone castles and villas. 200-300 castles are still standing in America too.

I have a question – did you graduate high school? I mean, I do know Albertians are a little arrogant given as they’re a bit slow, but you’re taking the cake by a landslide.

Or do you think the original settlers to North Americas lived in castles & villas in great droves. I mean I’ve lived in a heritage house – more than 120 years old – in Alberta ironically that was built by a guy who barely had a penny to his name for most of his life.

Or do you think that the homesteads still available – many of which are more than 200 years old – figments of people’s imaginations.

That’s including in the Americas and Europe.

Do you think London [UK] was built by millionaires? Moscow? Berlin? Delhi? Mexico City? Any of the old cities around the world – many that make Calgary look like a toddler in comparison.

It proves that we as a group are intelligent enough to make them.

And yet we have cars, airplanes, computers and smartphones not them.

Laughable – cars? So, do you think that wagons were imaginary?

Computers – are far older than you, simple joe, think.

Smartphones – so? Most smartphones are utterly useless – the only appeal they have above the older phones is that they have games to entertain those simple joes.

The cultures that still don’t use cars, computers, smart phones, etc., etc. in some of the remoter areas of the world have existed for centuries. And when society collapses they’ll still be existing for centuries afterwards while the average “civilized” person won’t have a clue how to survive.

Isn't compassion and empathy part of being human? Would you rather want to have cold and cruel people around?

Laughable – compassion. Let me ask you, jack, when was the last time you helped the homeless guy on the street corner? How about volunteering your time at a soup kitchen? Thought of getting off thy ass and fighting the corruption of ISIS?

And no giving money to charities, etc. don’t count seeing as most of such ventures are scams. If they were legit the problems they raise money for [Africa – starvation] would at least be diminishing rather than increasing.

Has nothing about being cold / cruel – it is all about practicality. But then, as said, you are obviously of the mindset whatever happens won’t happen during my generation so who cares for the long run.

If you weaken the gene pool what are you going to get in the long run? A weak species plagued by disease… this has happened to countless animal species we maintain [cattle, pigs, sheep, grain, crops, etc.] are all pathetic weak examples of what existed but 50 – 100 years ago due to the simple fact we have supported the weak varieties by pesticide, etc. Take out the pesticides, etc. we use nowadays and not a lot of species will be worth the effort of keeping.

This is a new phenomenon of our advanced times, therefor no solution yet.
Anyway, thanks to human genius, in few decades or centuries we can fix this genetic calamities by genetic engineering. We wouldn't need to make such difficult and cruel choices anymore. However, no matter what we do, someone if future will complain that everyone around is beautiful, healthy and smart.

Laughable. You obviously have little idea about genetic engineering legality. It’ll take a long time before the average joe can genetically engineer themselves… however, the people with money will be profiting long before that.

Because they didn't have technology and knowledge to produce enough food to feed 7 billion people. Again, it is something new we face. Giving some time we can clean what we contaminated.

You made another equally ignorant comment with the “world is better” post. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my seat.

We don’t have enough food – 800 million people go hungry yearly. Nearly 10 million starve to death, lowest stats, yearly.

Returning to your silly naïve “world is better” post and the concept of feminine equality – if female farmers had the same resources / access as male farmers worldwide starvation would be a mere 150 million.

Yet in past history we did much better – Stonehenge for example never would have being constructed had the builders not being well off because all their energy would have gone to survival otherwise [and it has being proven that those builders were VERY successful].

Any of the ancient cities / structures wouldn’t have being constructed had our forefathers being suffering. It would virtually be impossible.

Given time – again, the idiotic comment of let’s leave it for the next generation. Keep dreaming sunshine.

Without global warming we would face new Ice Age. Perhaps you would like it better? I guess global warming have good sides too, and makes plants very happy

Are you serious? Or just that dim?

Australia – California – BC / Alberta – India – China …. are but a few areas which are suffering droughts / lack of water.

Guess what happens with droughts – particularly at the rate they’re increasing nowadays – the plants aren’t “happy”. You don’t get good yield on crop foods which means livestock suffers …. … if it’s too hard, simple joe, that means less food.

In 30 years – 90 years tops – they are saying that a large part of the world will be plagued by droughts. That means as said – less food – means what food is available increases in price. Means more starvation for those that can’t afford those rising prices.

And of course less water resources – for drinking, etc.

My answer: "1 trillion years, till death of the last star in our Galaxy".

But by that time, we will already have robotic bodies.

My answer: "1 trillion years, till death of the last star in our Galaxy".

But by that time, we will already have robotic bodies.
Why robotic bodies?
Isn't it better to have real bodies that regenerate all the time, meaning stay young all the time? Real body can feel the touch, wind, warmth, cold. With genetic manipulation we can make a body with strong muscles, even without exercise.
Why would you think people would desire robotic bodies? If you want something dangerous to be done you just send your robot to do that.

Oops, I missed this post, or rather a novel, lol.

I’d like to know if you actually believe the rubbish you post. I mean reading your comments indicates yet someone who believes anything they are told because they don’t possess the intelligence to see the big picture.

And trust me – intelligence vs smart is quite different. The average joe doesn’t know this because they want to think themselves intelligent but the main factor of intelligence is comprehension
Yes comprehension is one of intelligence aspects.
On the other hand smart is the ability to learn
Really?! I guess encyclopedia is smart by this standard. You should interact with it more often. It would rub off on you.

I mean the average human can’t be that intelligent when piglets in a number of tests are proven to have the same learning skills as 5 year olds.
Do 5 year olds invent new technology, go to work or run the country? I could hope you stopped developing at age of 5 (the piglet intelligence), I wouldn't need to have this crazy conversation with you on internet.

You obviously go about town with rosy glasses on cause having lived in Calgary myself [I’ve lived across Canada, in five USA states and a number of European / UK cities] I can tell you the town is hardly a land of gumdrops. I mean unless it was fibs, you’ve got Mexican cartel moving into town.
No surprise, nobody likes you anywhere. Keep moving.

Are you aware of the fact that Alberta in the 30s to 60s was sterilizing people with mental and physical disabilities and I am not talking people in mental hospitals or prison but the general public. However, I seriously doubt you even have 10% knowledge of the history behind your own town.

As it is the simple joe is quite simple [joe]. Welfare and support systems have to be revised – Mike Harris in Ontario wanted the deadbeats tested on drugs & alcohol and to get training/schooling to get them off welfare. He was laughed out of the House of Commons.

However if you look to China it is a devil to get on such support systems – they don’t even spend a quarter of the money the US wastes a year.
So much bad in Canada, let's nuke it.

The only inventions you mentioned which were useful was satellites – computers – genetic code sequencing – and ice boxes [fridges]. Other than that the stuff is all toys for the simple joe to be entertained so that they do not pay attention to what is going on.
Right, I forgot about human rights, and many more you can google yourself. But please tell us what is the most impotent issues for you?
(read below)

Who cares if the lion will be extinct in 50 years [if we’re lucky]
I know Simba and Pumbaa! I bet the end of world is coming! Oh wait, shouldn't it have come when all dinosaurs went instinct, few billions of them?! Instead it got spinning and spinning for next 100 million years... I guess lions are important but not dinosaurs, or giant sloth, or saber tooth tiger, mamuths, or still existing mosquitoes and flies.

However, you are like the average joe … with the “good”, going off your dreamland mindset, personality of saying who cares whatever will happen won’t happen in my generation let the suckers in the future deal with the problems.
Hell, they need to do something, otherwise they will have no goals in life. Just party, party and party.

Are you for real? Did you happen to go to any education system beyond high school by chance?

The 30s and 50s we were talking of flying cars – the closest we coming to “flying” is a vehicle that when released no one but the rich will be capable of affording yet according to Popular Mechanics everyone was to have such a vehicle.
So you don't like new cars because they don't fly?

Have you ever looked at human history or too stuck trying to impress some FB “friends” whom in the long run really couldn’t give a fk about what you do?

Wait don’t answer that because your response proves you haven’t a rat’s ass clue what you’re talking about. Cause the inventions – vehicle and otherwise – of WWII [given what we had to work with] makes what has come since garbage.

Human intelligence has decreased as obvious with the lack of invention / inventive nature in a mere 50-70 years.
Stop using the marvelous invention called internet. You shouldn't even believe in its existence.

I didn't say Cuba.
Because their cars are not real? It is the only place you can still go and touch these "good" old, thirsty and primitive cars. Go their and enjoy them. They also don't have internet, smart phones and advances in medicine, not even human rights. Go and enjoy this beautiful old world. You should love it.

Goof. Obviously a little simple joe-boy if you couldn’t grasp what I was saying.

But I’ve lived all across Canada, in five US states, and in Europe – even Asiatic countries. I’ve lived in cities almost ten times bigger than the cow town known as Calgary. And you, my friend, are a stereotypical redneck Albertian [ya all great, but we really haven’t a clue about the real world because I live on the same block as grandpa did and the furthest I travelled was Edmonton to live].

Tokyo – Hong Kong – Delhi & Cairo – Berlin – Moscow – New York – San Fran. – Toronto – London [UK] – Glasgow – Shanghai – Beijing.

And those aren’t towns I’ve just passed through visiting, those are towns I’ve lived in for more than a year.
Looks like a good witness protection program! Keep moving or they will get you...

I have a question – did you graduate high school? I mean, I do know Albertians are a little arrogant given as they’re a bit slow, but you’re taking the cake by a landslide.
Did you noticed that you are repeating yourself?

Or do you think the original settlers to North Americas lived in castles & villas in great droves. I mean I’ve lived in a heritage house – more than 120 years old – in Alberta ironically that was built by a guy who barely had a penny to his name for most of his life.

Or do you think that the homesteads still available – many of which are more than 200 years old – figments of people’s imaginations.

That’s including in the Americas and Europe.

Do you think London [UK] was built by millionaires? Moscow? Berlin? Delhi? Mexico City? Any of the old cities around the world – many that make Calgary look like a toddler in comparison.
I lived in few places around this planet too.
Besides, now we know. You are rich guy living from a Trust account, traveling around the world, board with life, and spitting on ordinary Joe. Well, I make sure my kids need to work for money.

Laughable – cars? So, do you think that wagons were imaginary?
Did you consider being Amish?

Computers – are far older than you, simple joe, think.
Stop using them. You would do a world a favor.

Smartphones – so? Most smartphones are utterly useless – the only appeal they have above the older phones is that they have games to entertain those simple joes
. Because you never used them in work settings. Perhaps typical for a Trust kid.

The cultures that still don’t use cars, computers, smart phones, etc., etc. in some of the remoter areas of the world have existed for centuries. And when society collapses they’ll still be existing for centuries afterwards while the average “civilized” person won’t have a clue how to survive.
Be a Gandhi, and most of all stop using internet.

Laughable – compassion. Let me ask you, jack, when was the last time you helped the homeless guy on the street corner?
Every day he eats and sleeps in nice warm building thanks to my taxes and donations.
Thought of getting off thy ass and fighting the corruption of ISIS?
As soon as I'm young again. How about you, going to Syria to fight them? And what the hell it has to do with initial statement? I don't think you really remember the original conversation and say random things that come to you mind. You sound like ADHD kid.

And no giving money to charities, etc. don’t count seeing as most of such ventures are scams. If they were legit the problems they raise money for [Africa – starvation] would at least be diminishing rather than increasing.
It is diminishing, even though there is twice the number of Africans than a generation ago. Please, prove your point by presenting statistics.

If you weaken the gene pool what are you going to get in the long run? A weak species plagued by disease…
What? You want to save all the starving Africans and homeless but don't care for weak and dying Canadians? Lol, some kind of social dichotomy?

Entertain us with a story how you helped a homeless person?

Laughable. You obviously have little idea about genetic engineering legality. It’ll take a long time before the average joe can genetically engineer themselves… however, the people with money will be profiting long before that.
So perhaps you are not a Trust kid, just a hippy with an internet access...or both.

You made another equally ignorant comment with the “world is better” post. I laughed so hard I nearly fell off my seat.
I just wonder what force keeps you alive so long?

We don’t have enough food – 800 million people go hungry yearly. Nearly 10 million starve to death, lowest stats, yearly.
A generation ago twice these numbers or more went hungry and died. Good progress in spite of having 2 billion more people on this planet to feed.

Yet in past history we did much better – Stonehenge for example never would have being constructed had the builders not being well off because all their energy would have gone to survival otherwise [and it has being proven that those builders were VERY successful].
Who claimed otherwise? Just to be honest for comparison purposes to modern world, could you pull some stats how many people (slaves included) died building them?
Right, you don't have a clue, just your romantic vision of the past.

Any of the ancient cities / structures wouldn’t have being constructed had our forefathers being suffering. It would virtually be impossible.
I'm glad you know that they have build them without suffering, just from pure joy of building. I'm sure you can also tell us how many lives were sacrificed in these beautiful Aztec pyramids, just to please rain gods, in these good old times.

Given time – again, the idiotic comment of let’s leave it for the next generation. Keep dreaming sunshine.

Are you serious? Or just that dim?

Australia – California – BC / Alberta – India – China …. are but a few areas which are suffering droughts / lack of water.

Guess what happens with droughts – particularly at the rate they’re increasing nowadays – the plants aren’t “happy”. You don’t get good yield on crop foods which means livestock suffers …. … if it’s too hard, simple joe, that means less food.
I'm sure they are great technological advances in medicine curing phobias. Just ask you doctor.

In 30 years – 90 years tops – they are saying that a large part of the world will be plagued by droughts. That means as said – less food – means what food is available increases in price. Means more starvation for those that can’t afford those rising prices. And of course less water resources – for drinking, etc.
If They say it, it must be true. Scarrrrrrrry world. Hide and please don't use internet anymore. This sick invention of sick and scary modern rotten times. For god sake avoid it and stay pure.

As you said, with Sun Expantion Life will burn in Earth and Earth will be out of habitable zone. Yes we have many years for that and also Our Star; Sun won't go anywhere in a second and Mars will have ideal temperature

Life has existed on Earth for billions of years, appearing shortly after the planet had cooled and liquid water became available. From the first bacteria to the amazingly complex animals we see today, life has colonized every corner of our planet.
As you know, our Sun has a limited lifespan.

Over the next 5 billion years, it will burn the last of its hydrogen, bloat up as a red giant and consume Mercury and Venus.
This would be totally disastrous for local flora and fauna, but all life on the surface of the Earth will already be long gone.
In fact, we have less than a billion years to enjoy the surface of our planet before it becomes inhospitable.

As you said, with Sun Expantion Life will burn in Earth and Earth will be out of habitable zone. Yes we have many years for that and also Our Star; Sun won't go anywhere in a second and Mars will have ideal temperature

Can we find solution for it, like pushing Earth away from the Sun to farther orbit?

Until next WW. If me have some sense and start to be friends... we will never perish

What is the opnion of that? I try to be optimistic. And I think our generation can be friends, im not so sure about the next...

Until next WW. If me have some sense and start to be friends... we will never perish
Exactly. We need to start thinking that we all belong to one big tribe, and treat all like friends.
Well, except the ones who want to kill us, the extremists of all kinds. Likely there are not too many of them, and should be fewer with time.

This is very interesting. People were asked how long they wanted to live if they were young forever. 60% of people would live 50 to 200 years, 21% would want to live from 1,000 to forever. Surprisingly for me 13% wouldn't want to live more than 50 years, even as always young. (percent with sever depression?)

There was another surprise. Age group with biggest zest for life is in their 40s, not in 20s as I would guess. Or is it about new generation raised by helicopter parents, sheltered from all the danger, risk and stress, but now on their own, scared and depressed?

life1.jpg

http://www.country105.com/syn/123/3...ey-reveals-what-people-would-do-if-they-could

Exactly. We need to start thinking that we all belong to one big tribe, and treat all like friends.
Well, except the ones who want to kill us, the extremists of all kinds. Likely there are not too many of them, and should be fewer with time.

Surely, cooperation and collaboration are winning combination.

Always there will be people who think that they will acquire advantage if they are cheat, invent tales and exploit propaganda, carry out violence, or similar.

But this strategy is short-winded because other people become competitive and advantage above mentioned disappear and they begin to suffer losses, and later more and more losses.

This thread has been viewed 26383 times.

Back