Eupedia Forums
Site NavigationEupedia Top > Eupedia Forum & Japan Forum
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: R1b mystery

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-07-15
    Posts
    6


    Country: United States



    R1b mystery

    Hi! I am not a guy but I had the y chromosome recently tested on my brother. It said he was R1b. We are trying to narrow down at least the surname of my father's unknown father (and my parents and I already did test with ancestry.com). I have lots of clues but seems like his y chromosome line may have come through Canada and before that Northwestern Ireland.

    He did he 44 marker test. I am having his subclade tested now but seems to me he has a very common R1b subclade in Ireland (from what I have read). Does anyone know how to tell?

    Also what are some good places for me to post his results? (to get any possible clues for my unknown paternal grandpa?). Thanks

    DYS19a 14
    DYS385a 11
    DYS385b 12
    DYS388 12
    DYS389i 13
    DYS389ii 29
    DYS390 24
    DYS391 11
    DYS392 14
    DYS393 13
    DYS426 12
    DYS437 15
    DYS438 12
    DYS439 12
    DYS442 12
    DYS444 11
    DYS445 12
    DYS447 25
    DYS448 18
    DYS449 30
    DYS452 30
    DYS453 11
    DYS454 11
    DYS455 11
    DYS456 17
    DYS458 17
    DYS459a 9
    DYS459b 10
    DYS460 11
    DYS463 24
    DYS464a 15
    DYS464b 16
    DYS464c 17
    DYS468 29
    DYS484 13
    DYS522 11
    DYS527a 19
    DYS527b 21
    DYS531 11
    DYS557 16
    DYS588 18
    GATAH4 12
    YCAIIa 19
    YCAIIb 23




  2. #2
    Elite member
    Join Date
    23-03-15
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    328

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-M222 (NW Irish)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1bi

    Ethnic group
    Scots Appalachian ("Hillbilly")
    Country: USA - Virginia



    Northwestern Ireland is dominated by R1b-L21 men, with a very large subset of those men having the downstream M222 mutation, which is the so-called "Niall of the Nine Hostages" subclade. It looks like you posted Single Tandem Repeat (STR) data, which is more useful for identifying recent ancestors and less useful for identifying subclades, for which you really need Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) results.

    Search your father's AncestryDNA test for the following value: rs20321

    The row should look something like this:

    rs20321 24 14902414 A A

    What matters above all is the first value. It must say exactly "rs20321", not "rs2032134" or anything like that.

    Post what you find.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-07-15
    Posts
    6


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by RobertColumbia View Post
    Northwestern Ireland is dominated by R1b-L21 men, with a very large subset of those men having the downstream M222 mutation, which is the so-called "Niall of the Nine Hostages" subclade. It looks like you posted Single Tandem Repeat (STR) data, which is more useful for identifying recent ancestors and less useful for identifying subclades, for which you really need Single Nucleotide Polymorphism (SNP) results.

    Search your father's AncestryDNA test for the following value: rs20321

    The row should look something like this:

    rs20321 24 14902414 A A

    What matters above all is the first value. It must say exactly "rs20321", not "rs2032134" or anything like that.

    Post what you find.
    Sorry but ancestry.com does not have any y chromosome information on my Dad. My brother is being tested for the subclade and I will let you know the results when it comes back. At first I suspected my Dad's paternal grandfather was of Danish descent but my brother's closest y chromosome links were a bunch of guys with Irish surnames and looking like they might have just come from Ireland. My father is actually darker (since his maternal grandma was ''dark Irish'' that looked Spanish as can be) but my brother does look like he could be Irish I suppose

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-07-15
    Posts
    6


    Country: United States



    This is the information that I received. According to what they sent me it is strongest in parts of Spain and Southern Ireland

    Genotype:
    S116

    Phenotype: Y-DNA Subclade R1b1a2a1a2
    Gene Mutations Tested

    P297 Positive R1b1a
    L51 Positive R1b1a2a1
    L278 Positive R1b1
    M335 Negative R1b1b
    S127 Positive R1b1a2a1a
    S116 Positive R1b1a2a1a2
    V88 Negative R1b1c
    L23 Positive R1b1a2a
    CTS1078 Negative R1b1a2a2
    L584 Negative R1b1a2a2a
    S21 Negative R1b1a2a1a1
    M73 Negative R1b1a1
    M269 Positive R1b1a2





  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-07-15
    Posts
    6


    Country: United States



    I just realized I probably did not order the right thing ):

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    01-08-15
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    9

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a and R1b

    Ethnic group
    Belgium, England, Scotland
    Country: USA - Illinois



    R1a and R1b connection to the 45th Parallel

    If you go to the Home page of eupedia (the host here) and look at Genetics you will find good information on your R1a and R1b haplogroup connection. All R1b have one thing in common red hair. In Genetics click on R1b. There is a menu on the left side. Go to the bottom of the menu and local "Other DNA pages." Scroll down to "Origins of red hair." I think you will find it is very helpful. I believe it will answer some of your questions about R1b.

    I tried to send the link but I forgot about vBulletin and 10 posts before links rule.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    01-08-15
    Location
    Central Illinois, USA
    Posts
    9

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1a and R1b

    Ethnic group
    Belgium, England, Scotland
    Country: USA - Illinois



    1 members found this post helpful.
    I forgot to add that R1a is blonde. With a R1b father and a R1a mother (with blonde hair) they had one of each. I have the red hair and my brother is the blonde. The 45th Parallel is very interesting.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    27-07-15
    Posts
    6


    Country: United States



    Quote Originally Posted by chillout789 View Post
    I just realized I probably did not order the right thing ):
    I actually ordered the correct test but this company told me this is as far as they usually test for (with subclades). The gentleman on the phone did tell me they might rule out additional subclades if I tell them which subcludes I want to rule out. I would like rule out subclades common in Ireland if possible. Can anyone help me with which subclades to ask for?

    Thank you

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    04-05-13
    Posts
    2

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-DF27+, Y5058+
    MtDNA haplogroup
    T2b4-T152C!

    Country: USA - Texas



    Quote Originally Posted by chillout789 View Post
    This is the information that I received. According to what they sent me it is strongest in parts of Spain and Southern Ireland

    Genotype:
    S116

    Phenotype: Y-DNA Subclade R1b1a2a1a2
    Gene Mutations Tested

    P297 Positive R1b1a
    L51 Positive R1b1a2a1
    L278 Positive R1b1
    M335 Negative R1b1b
    S127 Positive R1b1a2a1a
    S116 Positive R1b1a2a1a2
    V88 Negative R1b1c
    L23 Positive R1b1a2a
    CTS1078 Negative R1b1a2a2
    L584 Negative R1b1a2a2a
    S21 Negative R1b1a2a1a1
    M73 Negative R1b1a1
    M269 Positive R1b1a2

    S116 or P321 is also very common in North Ireland so does not tell you much. In my opinion, if you are trying to identify your paternal grandfather the STRs along with the autosomal you already have on your father are your best course to follow at this time. Have you put the STRs on YSearch and atDNA on Gedmatch yet? Also if need a few additional STRs for comparison with a potential match you can purchase them at YSeq.

    Good luck in your search
    Mike

  10. #10
    Elite member Tomenable's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-09-14
    Location
    Poznan
    Posts
    4,655

    Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

    Ethnic group
    Polish
    Country: Poland



    Quote Originally Posted by linicx
    With a R1b father and a R1a mother
    You just made my day man! You just made my day!


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •