Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R-L48 (R-Z30)
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H17a1

Ethnic group
    Frisian

It also depends which test you take.

23andMe is getting better at removing Skandinavian (up to 25% to below 10%) over the years... putting our Dutch dna into their "French & German" category.

LivingDNA will give you a lot of British. (50+% in my case)

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 138
    Overall activity: 6.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

I also get often Scandic results. This is IMO the explanation.

I think Davidski/Eurogenes has made this clear. Recently he showed that there is some kind of continuity in the Nordic genetic profile between LN-BA and now. My family (and especially my mother and I) belong to that cluster.

See the (added) Nordic Bronze Age PCA of Davidski (I'm Finn):

The Nordic LNBA cluster is basically a blend between Neolithic Funnelbeaker (TRB, an Ertebølle/ Neolithic farmer mix) and the highly Steppe Single Grave Culture (SGC)/ NW Bell Beaker.
    The SGC and the BB hotspots are mainly found in the North Dutch area and are overlapping. Than you speak about NW Dutch (above Amsterdam, from the Olalde samples), the Veluwe in the middle of NE Dutch, and Drenthe in the outmost NE Dutch. That are the area's were the SGC and the BB flourished. And these were also the only places were the TRB existed (TRB=NE Dutch)!

The LNBA genetic of the North Dutch is therefore close to the Scandic one, my family fits even nowadays in the Nordic Bronze Age (LNBA) corner.

For the South Dutch is this not so much the case. North Dutch are more LNBA Nordic so TRB/SGC/BB mixtures. You can see it even in the SNP's that have an effect on the phenotype. The North Dutch are taller (Steppe influence) and lighter featured (TRB influence). In depth research (Oskar Lao e.a. 2013 and Abdel Abdellaoui e.a. 2013) has shown that this North (above the Rhine) and South (below the Rhine) difference is the only real significant one in the Dutch context.

So in the end North Dutch are much more likely to cluster with Scandinavian than South Dutch.

Junior Member Achievements:
    7 days registered100 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 15
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z18

Ethnic group
    Norwegian, Swedish

The Dutch have had lots of connections to Scandinavia, historically. For instance, the city of Gothenburg in Sweden was founded and laid out by Dutch city planners and legislators. For a period of time they even spoke Dutch there.

Adding to that, I know that Norway has had lots of connections to the Netherlands through the timber-trade.
    I wouldn't be able to tell you whether it had a significant effect on the overall Dutch DNA, but historically there was even a large wave of immigration of Norwegian peoples to the Netherlands in the 17th and 18th century. Most of the people that migrated came from coastal cities in Norway that were connected to the Dutch shipbuilding-industry. Lots of them moved to Amsterdam, and apparently the population of Norwegians living in Amsterdam was at one point similar in size to the amount of Norwegians living in Bergen (Norway's capital city at the time).
    There is also the Viking-era, but I have no clue how much pillaging and raiding took place in Netherlands.

I personally tend to get a very close proximity to North Dutch on several Eurogenes-calculators, even if I have no known Dutch ancestry. On some it's even closer than Norwegian or other Scandinavian populations, which is quite interesting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12