Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 51
    Overall activity: 1.0%

MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a1a1a

Ethnic group
    Dutch

1 members found this post helpful.

Question Dutch with mostly Scandinavian DNA

All four of my grandparents were born in the Netherlands and all of my ancestry that I can trace, some of it back almost 500 years, is of Dutch origin. Yet, my autosomal DNA results came out 58% Scandinavian and only 42% West and Central European. What is the link between Scandinavia and the Netherlands?

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b Z2109
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H1c

Ethnic group
    Citizen of the world

Welcome to Eupedia Jana.

I'm not sure about U5b, but U5 is pan European at the moment, and could have been like this for thousands of years. At this time it has the strongest signature in Scandinavia, but it doesn't mean it started there. It just found a very fertile ground there to grow. ;)

http://www.eupedia.com/europe/Haplogroup_U5_mtDNA.shtml
    Be wary of people who tend to glorify the past, underestimate the present, and demonize the future.

Elite member Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 31.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b DF27*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    U5b2a2b1

Quote Originally Posted by Jana View Post
    All four of my grandparents were born in the Netherlands and all of my ancestry that I can trace, some of it back almost 500 years, is of Dutch origin. Yet, my autosomal DNA results came out 58% Scandinavian and only 42% West and Central European. What is the link between Scandinavia and the Netherlands?
    Maybe 23andme(if you tested with them) doesn't have a Dutch reference. Dutch as far as I know are very Scandinavian-like compared to Germans. They're the closest modern relatives to Ancient DNA from Medieval Anglo Saxons of England according to a recent study. So Dutch probably have a lot of decent from early Germanic-speakers who originated around Scandinavia and just south of it.

You should do the Eurogenes K15 test at GEDmatch. There are reference samples from the Netherlands and you'll definitely cluster with them since you're Dutch. U5 is over 25,000 years old and U5b isn't much younger. They're not specific to any modern ethnic group. It is a maternal legacy of Upper Palaeolithic Europeans.

U5b2a probably colonized Central/North Europe after the Ice age, was absorbed by Near Eastern farmers who arrived in Central/North Europe in 5000 BC, and then was absorbed again by Indo European-speaking migrants from East Europe circa 2500 BC. I also have U5b2a and my line is from Germany. U5b2a is one of the most popular U5-clades in Central/North/East Europe.

Advisor Achievements:
    Three FriendsVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%

is your ancestry north of the river Rhine?
    the river Rhine was, and still is an important frontier
    it was the frontier of the Roman empire
    for centuries they stopped or reduced the inflow of Germanic tribes
    south of the river Rhine there was a mixture of Celtic and Germanic tribes
    north of the river Rhine the Germanic tribes had allready expelled all Celtic tribes before Julius Ceasar reached the river Rhine.

Level
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 18.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Bicicleur, just to temper: Rhine was no more a barrier in the subsequent centuries of germanic colonization, rather a boulevard, it was a barrier for some time too in northern Germany-Netherlands at celtic times before becoming a longer and more southern barrier at Rome times; after, it did only slowen the mixtures; in the today Netherlands it act as a RELATIVE border, begun a bit gradual; in South it seems no more a border; no surprise; old surveys shew the Rhine acted as a way of colonization for Germanics as other rivers, under the Main and until Switzerland: more germanic populations in valleys, more celtic (+ pre-celtic + maybe (little) roman populations in the hills and mountains (Vôsges, Schwarzwalde). At finer scale, it is not sure the Mainz surroundings did not keep some traces of Roman and romanized colons...

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

By the way, I think Frisians of the XX° Cy are the closest to Scandinavians

Regular Member Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 3.0%

Ethnic group
    Balto-Slav, Celto-Germanic

This must be an individual case of yours if the datasets of the company are not scarce.

Satyavrata Achievements:
    Three FriendsRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Level
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%

Ethnic group
    Italo-celto-germanic

There is a strong North-South gradient in ancestry in the Netherlands. Frisian Dutch might be closer to Danes than to Southern Dutch people. That's simply because ancient Germanic peolpe expanded south from Denmark and Schleswig-Holstein and that the closer one is from the source the more Scandinavian one's genome tends to be.

As bicicleur said, the Rhine also marks an important historical boundary between Gallo-Romans and Germanics. Southern provinces like Limburg and Noord-Brabant are much closer to Belgium genetically but also culturally - not to mention historically as they are both the Dutch part of former Belgian medieval states.

Which company gave you those results? You notice that there is no Dutch category. So it's essentially Germanic (Scandinavian) vs Celtic (West and Central European), and your ratio makes me think more of the south of the Netherlands than to to the north. You are almost half Gallo-Roman. That's not what I would call nearly Scandinavian.
    My book selection---Follow me on Facebook and Twitter --- My profile on Academia.edu and on ResearchGate ----Check Wa-pedia's Japan Guide
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "What is the use of living, if it be not to strive for noble causes and to make this muddled world a better place for those who will live in it after we are gone?", Winston Churchill.

1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 124

MtDNA haplogroup
    H2a1

Ethnic group
    French Canadian

I heard from a Dutch genealogist that people of Netherlands score heavily Scandinavian in the commercial admixture test.

Advisor Achievements:
    Level
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 54.0%

Quote Originally Posted by MOESAN View Post
    Bicicleur, just to temper: Rhine was no more a barrier in the subsequent centuries of germanic colonization, rather a boulevard, it was a barrier for some time too in northern Germany-Netherlands at celtic times before becoming a longer and more southern barrier at Rome times; after, it did only slowen the mixtures; in the today Netherlands it act as a RELATIVE border, begun a bit gradual; in South it seems no more a border; no surprise; old surveys shew the Rhine acted as a way of colonization for Germanics as other rivers, under the Main and until Switzerland: more germanic populations in valleys, more celtic (+ pre-celtic + maybe (little) roman populations in the hills and mountains (Vôsges, Schwarzwalde). At finer scale, it is not sure the Mainz surroundings did not keep some traces of Roman and romanized colons...
    in peacefull times the Rhine is not a border, but in wartime it is
    remember WW II
    Belgium was liberated in 1944, but Holland north of the Rhine wasn't, resulting in the 'hunger winter' of 1944-45
    There were also battles to take the bridges across the Rhine in Germany

on the other hand, the Franks invaded the Roman empire in wintertime, when the Rhine was frozen

the Rhine was also an important border during the Spanish inquisition in Belgium
    many of the Belgian elite fled to the protestant Netherlands, across the Rhine delta to be safe for the oppressors

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b - L21/S145*
    MtDNA haplogroup
    H3c

Ethnic group
    more celtic

Quote Originally Posted by bicicleur View Post
    in peacefull times the Rhine is not a border, but in wartime it is
    remember WW II
    Belgium was liberated in 1944, but Holland north of the Rhine wasn't, resulting in the 'hunger winter' of 1944-45
    There were also battles to take the bridges across the Rhine in Germany

on the other hand, the Franks invaded the Roman empire in wintertime, when the Rhine was frozen

the Rhine was also an important border during the Spanish inquisition in Belgium
    many of the Belgian elite fled to the protestant Netherlands, across the Rhine delta to be safe for the oppressors
    I shall temperate my own first post to you;
    in fact rivers are rather a link close to their sources and along their course but very often began to be a frontier at their mouth near the sea when they are broadened;
    yes, Rhine river acted as a border at some times of History I don't denied it, but borders move as we know, and even at its mouth it has not always been a frontier; so we have a gradiant, but not a too smooth one it's true; the regions just north of it have pops halfway to northerners in some way.
    So I agree with you and Maciamo for a great part spite I splitted hairs.

Tagger Second ClassThree FriendsVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 384
    Overall activity: 7.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

Welkom Jana! I just read your posting, may be this can make things more clear:
    http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads...rn-Netherlands

Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 206

Do they give a separate Dutch-ancestry? Because at least few years ago, they did not, and just divided the ancestry among German, French, and "general" Northern European.

Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Sennevini View Post
    Do they give a separate Dutch-ancestry? Because at least few years ago, they did not, and just divided the ancestry among German, French, and "general" Northern European.
    Im afraid not, Holland was built under the lands of Middle Francia; between West Francia; France and East Francia; Holy Roman Empire. DNA testing only can test for your ancestry from Antiquity. If you want to know how much Dutch you have, Geneology is your best bet. France and Germany have a similar history as Holland in antiquity since the Rhine River starts in Holland; the Romans Mentioned that the Rhine River was the rough borderline between Germanics and Galls; some Germanic tribes were reputed to have been intermerryinf with the Gauls on some occasions such as the Belgae.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Francia

http://www.rollintl.com/roll/rhine.htm

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

sorry, double posting
    Last edited by Northener; 05-11-16 at 20:56. Reason: double posting

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

The history of the Netherlands begins with the Franks? The Rhine starts in the Netherlands?
    ok...!?

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight View Post
    Im afraid not, Holland was built under the lands of Middle Francia; between West Francia; France and East Francia; Holy Roman Empire. DNA testing only can test for your ancestry from Antiquity. If you want to know how much Dutch you have, Geneology is your best bet. France and Germany have a similar history as Holland in antiquity since the Rhine River starts in Holland; the Romans Mentioned that the Rhine River was the rough borderline between Germanics and Galls; some Germanic tribes were reputed to have been intermerryinf with the Gauls on some occasions such as the Belgae.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_Francia

Three FriendsTagger Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 462

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b-U152-Z56-BY3957
    MtDNA haplogroup
    J1c7a

Ethnic group
    15/32 British, 5/32 German, 9/64 Irish, 1/8 Scots Gaelic, 5/64 French, 1/32 Welsh

Quote Originally Posted by Northener View Post
    The history of the Netherlands begins with the Franks? The Rhine starts in the Netherlands?
    ok...!?
    You misread what I said, the Gauls and Germanic tribes both settled in the Netherlands. Of course history doesn't start with the Franks, didn't even say that. It's just that The franks had a land stretching from present day France, Holland and Germany. History of the Netherlands begins way earlier than the Franks. The Germanic Tribes, Gauls and even Stone Age Hunter Gatherers were in Holland before the Frankish Kingdom was established.

Anyway, here is the map of the Rhine River, here is where the Rhrine dumps out into the North Sea.

Here is the Wikipedia link of the Franks
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franks

Here is the link to the Gauls; including Belgae Gauls.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaul
    Last edited by Twilight; 05-11-16 at 22:06.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

You misread what I said, the Gauls and Germanic tribes both settled in the Netherlands. Of course history doesn't start with the Franks, didn't even say that. It's just that The franks had a land in stretching from present day France, Holland and Germany. History of the Netherlands begins way earlier than the Franks. The Germanic Tribes, Gauls and even Stone Age Hunter Gatherers were in Holland before the Frankish Kingdom was established.

Anyway, here is the map of the Rhine River, here is where the Rhrine dumps out into the North Sea.

The essence of you statement, as I read it, is: 'DNA testing only can test for your ancestry from Antiquity' and that's why you can't have have separate Dutch DNA test!? I don't follow this reason. I think the situation in the Netherlands is not different from let's say Denmark, England or Germany... So or we have a strange kind of miscommunication or it's a lack of knowledge of the Dutch past...

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

You misread what I said, the Gauls and Germanic tribes both settled in the Netherlands. Of course history doesn't start with the Franks, didn't even say that. It's just that The franks had a land stretching from present day France, Holland and Germany. History of the Netherlands begins way earlier than the Franks. The Germanic Tribes, Gauls and even Stone Age Hunter Gatherers were in Holland before the Frankish Kingdom was established.

May be we miscommunicate, but I have no reason to believe why you can't make a separate DNA of the Dutch-ancestry like that of the Danes, Germans or Englishman.....

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 145

Scandinavian DNA comes from the frisians (=Anglo-Saxons). They emigrated from Denmark to the Netherlands (and the UK) around 400-450. Highest presence along the coast and along the river Rhine provinces Holland, Utrecht, Friesland, Groningen and the area of the Betuwe.

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 145

So Frisian/Aglo-Saxon DNA comes from the Jutes, Angles and Saxons.

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

Quote Originally Posted by ajbosma View Post
    So Frisian/Aglo-Saxon DNA comes from the Jutes, Angles and Saxons.
    Yes partly....and because Westergo was abandoned In the fourth century there it was most probably a big majority.

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

Three FriendsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 768
    Overall activity: 38.0%

Y-DNA haplogroup
    R1b
    MtDNA haplogroup
    W6

Ethnic group
    Polish

This is possible for Northern Dutch.

1000 Experience Points3 months registered

Level
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 4.0%

Ethnic group
    Northern European

Ahh that makes sense. This does explain the heavy English/Scottish/Irish ancestry estimates via my DNA tests and why I felt the Scandinavian aspect of my background was overstated.

Would Ostfriesland be considered "Northern Dutch" and/or heavily Scandinavian? I know they emigrated as German nationals. Still have distant relatives over in Ostfriesland (Emden & Leer) and Schleswig-Holstein. Some did arrive in the US around 1951-52. I also have fairly recent Danish, Norwegian and additional recent German ancestry from Windheim near the River Weser, Uelzen and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. It does appear the DNA services have difficulty in sorting out the differences but then again, I'm a mix of all the above, so...

Level

Y-DNA haplogroup
    E1b1b/ E-V22

Ethnic group
    North Sea Germanic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chauci
    Quote Originally Posted by matty74 View Post
    Ahh that makes sense. This does explain the heavy English/Scottish/Irish ancestry estimates via my DNA tests and why I felt the Scandinavian aspect of my background was overstated.

Would Ostfriesland be considered "Northern Dutch" and/or heavily Scandinavian? I know they emigrated as German nationals. Still have distant relatives over in Ostfriesland (Emden & Leer) and Schleswig-Holstein. Some did arrive in the US around 1951-52. I also have fairly recent Danish, Norwegian and additional recent German ancestry from Windheim near the River Weser, Uelzen and Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. It does appear the DNA services have difficulty in sorting out the differences but then again, I'm a mix of all the above, so...
    Ost-Friesland had a certain depopulation in the fourth century too but way les than on the West Frisian side. Ost-Friesland was Chauci territory. Those Chauci expanded also to the North Dutch territory, to nearby Groningen and Drenthe. The Chauci became part of the Saxons. As such complete comparable with early Anglo-Saxon samples. Indeed related to the Jastorf culture.

The area Emden and Leer was deeply influenced by the Dutch culture, until the nineteenth century the language of the church was in certain parts Dutch. Emden was also a refuge post in the sixteenth century for all kind of dissenters....

Sent from my iPad using Eupedia Forum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast