Ancient Thracians and Illyrians,their language,culture,was they barbarians?

Милан М.

Reaction score
Will begin with the ancient Thracian city of Perperikon (also Perpericon; Bulgarian: Перперикон, Greek: Περπερικον) is located in the Eastern Rhodopes, 15 km northeast of the present-day town of Kardzhali, Bulgaria, on a 470 m high rocky hill, which is thought to have been a sacred place. The village of Gorna Krepost ("Upper Fortress") is located at the foot of the hill and the gold-bearing Perpereshka River flows near it. Bulgarian archaeologist Nikolay Ovcharov started the excavation works at Perperikon in 2000, and revealed the remains of ancient architectural complex.Perperikon is the largest megalith ensemble in the Balkans.
According to ancient chronicles, two of the most fateful prophecies in the history of modern civilization were made here: the oracle of the Rodopi, which told fortunes with wine and fire, foretold Alexander the Great that that he shall conquer the world, and the Romans – that they shall become an empire spanning over the entire known world.
Now it lies in ruins but 2300 years ago the 23 years-old Alexander the Great came here to consult if his march towards Asia would succeed. After the prayer Alexander gave his gifts to the Gods, the priest poured wine into the open-air altar and kindled it.Next, even more incredible findings came out: open-air ruler’s throne - where no drop falls even in the strongest rain; treasury under ruler’s palace (from hills around Perperikon tones of gold had been mined for centuries), and … splendidly stone-carved Early Christian church pulpit. Probably, this pulpit was where fortress’ first bishop read the Bible in Thracian language! Unfortunately, the Sacred Book called Biblia Besica, has disappeared in Middle Ages.Today, we question if such a book has ever existed at all, and if it did, how and why did it disappear? What if somebody finds it? A prove for the existance of Thracian writing!
l_block_63_4x4z1x5o2v.jpg

800px-Perperikon_Nenko_Lazarow_023.JPG

l_block_86_6z7g9h6s4c.jpg

l_block_61_6e9p5r4l3i.jpg

l_block_63_3t8f7y3c6w.jpg

800px-Perperikon_E5.jpg

Tombs of the rulers.
Perperikon%2C_grobnitsa_na_vladetelite.jpg

The Church (Cathedral)
800px-PerpericonCathedral.jpg

800px-Perperikon_Nenko_Lazarow_064.JPG

Last edited:
you are referering to what Greeks call Υπερπερακιον Hyperperakion meaning above something above Perakion
the most possible meaning is above or after the bold mountain
although there is also an explanation or end of ends, last limit, ultimate point

the place was for Odryssee Thracian like Delphoi or Dodona to Greeks.
even Octavian August and Oνουριος use the oracle

4-4f50d9aa28.jpg

Anyway I was expecting you to start from Jug Bogdan fortress!!!!

you are referering to what Greeks call Υπερπερακιον Hyperperakion meaning above something above Perakion
the most possible meaning is above or after the bold mountain
although there is also an explanation or end of ends, last limit, ultimate point

the place was for Odryssee Thracian like Delphoi or Dodona to Greeks.
even Octavian August and Oνουριος use the oracle

4-4f50d9aa28.jpg

Anyway I was expecting you to start from Jug Bogdan fortress!!!!
Perperikon is the local name of the city,also Perpereshka river flow there,Herodotus probably mention this city but doesn't give us name,there is various interpretations of the origin of the name,but since this is sanctuary i will look in deities of locals and the Thracians,good that you mentioned Dodona also.Dodola also called Perperusha,Perperuna etc is feminine personification of the great god Perun used by South Slavs and Romanians according to Sorin Paliga and others the custom originate from the Thracians,will post later about the ritual itself.Thracian god of thunder is Perkon/Perkun local is Perun,his wife or feminine personification is Dodola or Perperusha,this explain Perperikon-Perperusha or great mother,Dodola,Perperusha and Perperikon also can be the same with or with same functions like Dodona in Greece,actually great mother goddess sanctuary.

Perperikon is the local name of the city,also Perpereshka river flow there,Herodotus probably mention this city but doesn't give us name,there is various interpretations of the origin of the name,but since this is sanctuary i will look in deities of locals and the Thracians,good that you mentioned Dodona also.Dodola also called Perperusha,Perperuna etc is feminine personification of the great god Perun used by South Slavs and Romanians according to Sorin Paliga and others the custom originate from the Thracians,will post later about the ritual itself.Thracian god of thunder is Perkon/Perkun local is Perun,his wife or feminine personification is Dodola or Perperusha,this explain Perperikon-Perperusha or great mother,Dodola,Perperusha and Perperikon also can be the same with or with same functions like Dodona in Greece,actually great mother goddess sanctuary.

I really do not know much,
All I Know is at Greek was Υπερπερακειον,
it was an oracle that had to do with bird and sun observation (open)
it has the meaning of trans-Perakion
now what is Perakion really can not tell,
although seems from what I found means bold mountain or end/limit
maybe Perun was a deity of underworld, or of justice, the ultimate deities,
anyway good to mention about it,
there is book about many unexplained texts and family names even bishops
many sciptures on the stones still need explanation
they call the area unknown/lost thracian living book due to many scriptures on stones

I really do not know much,
All I Know is at Greek was Υπερπερακειον,
it was an oracle that had to do with bird and sun observation (open)
it has the meaning of trans-Perakion
now what is Perakion really can not tell,
although seems from what I found means bold mountain or end/limit
maybe Perun was a deity of underworld, or of justice, the ultimate deities,
anyway good to mention about it,
there is book about many unexplained texts and family names even bishops
many sciptures on the stones still need explanation
they call the area unknown/lost thracian living book due to many scriptures on stones
Perun is god of thunder,the highest god in pantheon,but we should speak about Thracians their is Perkon or Perkun, like Zeus to Greeks,Perperuna or Dodola is his wife,according to researchers like i said that's Thracian,so she is great mother goddess,perhaps they also observed the sun,i tried to explain from my point of view the name Perperikon and my own opinion,how Greeks called it don't know,this has to do with Thracians and locals and if is middle age name again with locals,since they gave this name to the place Perperikon,is it there any ancient text or writers writing for the city?i couldn't find,some trace it to perpera golden coins or something,some to Pergamon,stones etc however that is sanctuary we should have in mind,i gave my opinion which doesnt mean is true, after all not very important will see what is next.

Yetos you can read here more about Dodona in Greece,the Slavic Dodola,the Beotian Doedala,it's one of the most ancient cults of the Balkans,also used by the Pelasgians,Homer write about them,and they are connected mutually,that's why i connected Perperikon and Dodona in Greece,Perperikon and Dodona are also one of the most ancient sanctuaries,Dodola is also known as Perperusha,in Greek world the later Perperusha the author connect her with Persephone and that the name formed in the same manner,as well all their functions,and Dodola connect it with Dodona and Daedala,numerous places in Greece were named Dodona and were connected with Zeus,in Thracian lands as well numerous places appear Doidalsos, Doidalses,Dydalsos, Dudis, Doudoupes, etc some even used in nowadays names such is Dado,Dilo,Dido and Dodola is performed in our folklore today,prior 50-100 years such rituals were still used in ex Yugoslavia,Bulgaria,all those ancient religions are almost same but later with different names,In a Linear B (Mycenean Greek) inscription on a tablet found at Pylos dated 1400–1200 BC, John Chadwick reconstructs the name of a goddess *Preswa who could be identified with Persa, daughter of Oceanus and finds speculative the further identification with the first element of Persephone.Persephonē (Greek: Περσεφόνη) is her name in the Ionic Greek of epic literature.The Homeric form of her name is Persephoneia (Περσεφονεία,Persephoneia). In other dialects she was known under variant names: Persephassa (Περσεφάσσα), Persephatta (Περσεφάττα), or simply Korē (Κόρη, "girl, maiden").Plato calls her Pherepapha (Φερέπαφα) in his Cratylus, "because she is wise and touches that which is in motion". There are also the forms Periphona (Πηριφόνα) and Phersephassa (Φερσέφασσα). The existence of so many different forms shows how difficult it was for the Greeks to pronounce the word in their own language and suggests that the name has probably a Pre-Greek origin.David Evans write about them https://books.google.mk/books?id=gs...onepage&q=dodona dodola daedala homer&f=false

The Thracian Tomb of Sveshtari in Bulgaria discovered in 1982 in a mound, this 3rd century BC Getic tomb reflects the fundamental structural principles of Thracian cult buildings. The tomb's architectural decor is considered to be unique, with polychrome half-human, half-plant caryatids and painted murals. The ten female figures carved in high relief on the walls of the central chamber and the decorations of the lunette in its vault are the only examples of this type found so far in the Thracian lands. It is a remarkable reminder of the culture of the Getae.The Getae /ˈdʒiːtiː/ or /ˈɡiːtiː/ or Gets (Ancient Greek: Γέται, singular Γέτης; Bulgarian: Гети; Romanian: Geţi) are names given to several Thracian tribes inhabiting the regions to either side of the Lower Danube, in what is today northern Bulgaria and southern Romania. Both the singular form Get and Getae may be derived from a Greek exonym.The Roman poet Ovid, during his long exile in Tomis, is asserted to have written poetry (now lost) in the Getic language.
083b.jpg

1.jpg

site_0359_0002-500-342-20130426172106.jpg

site_0359_0004-500-333-20130426172003.jpg

3_5.jpg

668_1_b.jpg

Daorson was the capital of a Illyrian tribe called the Daorsi.The Daorsi lived in the valley of the Neretva River between 300 BC and 50 BC. The remnants of Daorson can be found at Ošanići, near Stolac, Bosnia and Herzegovina.Daorson was built around a central fort or acropolis, surrounded by cyclopean walls made of huge stone blocks (similar to those in Mycenae, in Greece).The acropolis would have housed all of the important administrative, public and religious buildings. The defensive wall extending from southwest to northeast was 65 metres long, 4.2 metres wide, and from 4.5 to 7.5 metres high with doors and towers on both sides.Ošaniči consists of three linked stones groups, the disposition of which is dictated by the lie of the land.When one comes to the site of Daorson, the sheer size of megalithic blocks that form the so-called acropolis blows his mind. Some of the megalithic blocks used for erecting this structure are larger and heavier then those used in the building of the Giza Pyramids.
The central area is occupied by a dominant hill fort or acropolis below and to the south and south-west of which are terraces on the ridge, while to the east, on the Banje plateau, is the outer-acropolis area of residential and commercial, mainly artisanal and trade quarters of the settlement.
The hill fort was built on a prehistoric fortified settlement which had been in existence there since the early (17/16th century BCE) to the end of the late Bronze Age (9/8th century BCE). The date of the ransacking of the town of Daorson that finally put an end to human settlement there can be determined with fair accuracy as the mid or second half of the 1st century BCE from the details of the wars waged by the Roman Praetor Vatinius against the Delmati. No permanent settlement ever arose on the ruins of the town of Daors. There is ample evidence of its advanced culture and civilization: it minted its own coins and produced complex artistically decorated buckles, there is graffiti on shards of pottery vessels, and parts of stone statues of human figures some 2 m in height were found.
P6030746.jpg

1024px-Daorson.jpg

Tom+Daorson.jpg

Tunnel+Entrance.jpg

Scorpio+Sagittarius+Stone.jpg

P6030745.jpg

This thread has been viewed 9407 times.

Back