Nature Top Ten Cities for Air Pollution

I'm surprised that all the cities come form India and Pakistan only. I would guess China or Bangladesh would lead the way.
I noticed that most of the pollution is done by cars. In case of India, many old, inefficient, two cycle (burning oil tuk tuks) and stuck in traffic diesel cars and tracks.

On a happy note, thanks to new technologies, modern cities like New York, although densely populated with high consumption, has pollution level ten times smaller. Not mentioning clean streets, efficient sewer system and ample supply of clean drinking water. Salvation of humankind is through technology.

http://aqicn.org/map/canada/alberta/calgary-northwest/#@g/47.0415/5.6245/3z

Give it few seconds to load. You can zoom in.

I'm surprised that all the cities come form India and Pakistan only. I would guess China or Bangladesh would lead the way.
I noticed that most of the pollution is done by cars. In case of India, many old, inefficient, two cycle (burning oil tuk tuks) and stuck in traffic diesel cars and tracks.

On a happy note, thanks to new technologies, modern cities like New York, although densely populated with high consumption, has pollution level ten times smaller. Not mentioning clean streets, efficient sewer system and ample supply of clean drinking water. Salvation of humankind is through technology.

http://aqicn.org/map/canada/alberta/calgary-northwest/#@g/47.0415/5.6245/3z

Give it few seconds to load. You can zoom in.

That's a very cool site.

There's certainly great air quality in Calgary. What might be surprising to some people is, as you say, how good it is in New York City. Stereotypes die hard. Even in the middle of Manhattan, with all of that traffic clogging the streets, it's 25, which is lower than in LA, or San Diego, or San Francisco, or Miami, or DC. (The rest doesn't count;it's fly over country.
grin.png
Just a joke, just a joke...)

I think part of it is because even though there's a lot of traffic in the city, it's much worse in California cities, for example, because they have no public transportation. Some of the outer boroughs of the city, where people do use public transportation and where there aren't a lot of big highways, it's 5 or 6. It's higher than that, to about 25, in some parts of the suburban sprawl of the greater Metropolitan area. (adjacent to major roads)

I'm a little surprised by the relatively high numbers for London and parts of Paris. I'm sure Milano would be bad too.

Sometimes there are weird spikes, like Drome, France at 657.

657.jpg

It must be updated few times a day. Drome now is down to 196.
Today Drome reads 17 only. Perhaps there is coal power planet and sometimes wind blows the smog to Drome?

Interesting!

This thread has been viewed 4347 times.

Back