New Documentary on Celts

The program states ( I have no opinion yet ), that basically the celts began in the west and settlement of Britain via Portugal/Galicia was over 200 years prior to the creation of halstatt in the Austrian alps ( where they have found over 5000 celtic graves so far )

The celtic alphabet was adapted from the phoenician alphabet

IIRC the Phoenicia settled in iberia around 2000BC

... and in my opinion its unlikely that Proto-Celtic broke up much earlier than the Hallstatt period.
The fact is that most present historians think that in most part of Western and Central Europe, Celtic languages were spoken before the end of the 2nd millenium. I'm sure that there is at least one present historian thinking the contrary, but I don't have any name to provide.

I agree animalia instincts played a big role in the Gallic war and many others.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrW7PLvCQ9k&app=desktop
But IMO greed was the main driver. It was a greedy and shrude man (Caesar) stirring up these animalia instincts.
I wouldn't include greed here as the main factor. He was rich already. He wanted power, prestige, recognition of family name, and he might love risk, war and gore on top of it.
See, if someone is already rich, he will never risk his life for few more dollars. Cesar risked his life in Gaul.

The program states ( I have no opinion yet ), that basically the celts began in the west and settlement of Britain via Portugal/Galicia was over 200 years prior to the creation of halstatt in the Austrian alps ( where they have found over 5000 celtic graves so far )

As I said before, it strikes me as implausible that you reverse the direction by which the Indo-Europeanization spread in Western Europe (west-to-east, as opposed to east-to-west), especially because this leaves it unexplained how the Celtic languages share common innovations with the Italic languages.

The celtic alphabet was adapted from the phoenician alphabet

There was no "Celtic" alphabet. If you mean the Celtiberian script, that was not an alphabet, and it was not adapted from Phoenician (it was adapted from the Iberians). If you mean the Ogham script (which was an alphabet), it was developed much later (late Antiquity), and had no direct relation with the Phoenician alphabet, either.

IIRC the Phoenicia settled in iberia around 2000BC

There were no Phoenicians in 2000 BC. Classical Phoenicia didn't exist before the Bronze Age collapse (it formed only afterwards), and the Phoenicians didn't settle in southern Iberia until circa the 10th century BC.

This thread has been viewed 32574 times.

Back