Illyrian and Albanian - a linguistic approach

Illyrian tribes spread almost throughout the Balkans. Like many other ancient peoples, the Illyrians were pagans and believed in several gods. That is why Illyrian and Albanian toponyms and anthroponyms are of pagan origin, derived from the names of plants, animals and different kinds of superstition. During the Roman domination the Albanians were converted to Christianity (from the beginning of the first century A. D.).
In the Illyrian toponym Dimallum in present day Albania (including the Balkan toponyms Malontum, Maloventum, Malontina),which B. Dautaj identifies in the village Allambrez in the surroundings of Berat, Eqrem Çabej and other scholars, for instance, trace the Albanian word mal. This Illyrian-Albanian word mal has been preserved and appears in many late and modern patronyms and toponyms, out of which we mention the name of the eastern region of Malesheva (Macedonia), which Milivoje Pavlović and others derive from Illyrian-Albanian as of Thracian-Albanian origin. Even in the present Mali i Zi (Montenegro) the word
mal, according to Milan Shuflay, besides being foundin the name Mali i Zi itself (“Mal’si, Malcija,1452 — Malisium ... 1463 — Malici, it bears also the Serbian name Crna Gora ... Muzaka,in 1512 was called Montenegro”), can also be found in the Albanian patronym assimilated in malazezë-serbë as Malonšić “with pure Albanian blood in the valley of the river Zeta”, or according to Branislav Djurdjev: “even Albanian villages were slavonized, and this is also proved by the cases Malonšić and Golemad”. As for the function of the Illyrian-Albanian word mal in onomastics as well asfor its eventual calque in the same functionin lat. montanj in gr.
oros,in lat.-vlah. plana-planina and in sl.-srb. gora — šuma,
see Doçi (1983)
Durrahion — Durracium and the present Durrës on the Albanian coast are (according to J. Kastrati) of Albanian origin, from the Albanian words dy+ rrahe. From the same word rrahe
(forestclearing), but from the plural with metaphony rrih
(rrah : rreh : rrih) and with a radix-h- and a suffix and metathesis in the toponyms Rhizona : Risani in Montenegro was formed. According to Dujo Rendić Miočević, thatplace is considered as “an area of the Illyrian town Rhizona (probably from Rihesona —
R.Doçi) at the Bay of Kotor ... which used tobe the centre of Illyrian rulers and dynasties(Teuta, Baley) ... and Risinium is a Roman successor of Rhizona”. The name of the Illyrian castle
Bauton, Butua (today Budva) inpresent-day Montenegro, has its origin alsofrom an Illyrian-Albanian word (i,e) but-ë. There are more anthroponyms, patronymsand toponyms of Illyrian-Albanian origin inethnic Albania which are connected with theword
rrah (the names of present and medieval villages: Rahove and
Rahavec in Kosova; Rehove and Rinas in present-day Albania;
Rahovicë and Reincë (?) in Southern Serbia; Ra-hovë in Montenegro etc.); cp. also the word i,e butë in the names of villages: Butoc in Kosova; Butka in Albania; Bytol and
Boutelis in Macedonia (Doçi 1990).According to the German scholar J. G.von Hahn, the name of the Illyrian tribe Dardan
and its ancient territory Dardania (now diminished Kosova) has its origin from the Illyrian-Albanian word dard — dardhë.
E. Çabej agrees with him about the words Dardan and Dardani,
but he associates them even with the names of the ancient
Dardan towns and the present-day towns of Nish and Shkup,
which, according to him, are words built up on the basis of the historical phonetics of Albanian. The name of the Dardan castle
Ulkianum (“Hierher auch Ulcianum, inder Dardania”, Krahe 1925) derives from the Illyrian-Albanian word ulk : ujk : uk (wolf);in the same way this word (ulk : ujk, plural ulq : ujq) accounts for the name of the ancientand present town of Ulqinin Montenegro (Mayer 1957; Çabej 1977). During the reign of the Roman Emperor Primus Justinianus (527—565), who is thought to have built the town of Prishtina (Prima Justiniana = Prishtina?), Ulpiana became a wellknown Christian centre,Albanian toponyms was slavnised when the slavnic migration came.slav toponyms are all through balkans including greece romania.but the toponyms are not very old..slavs did a great job in slavinise albanian people surnames such as dem meaning bull in albanian to slav demic no meaning in slav dem is proto albanian an pie. nis in serbia means in albanian beginning, montenegro.montenegro we call mal i zi pure thracian-illyrian.ulqin albanian ulq meaning wolf.. etc,etc..their is older Albanian toponyms only few that is much older than any slav toponyms in balkans that was not slavised only little survived

Durres come from the Greek colony of Epidamnos in epirus nova ...........

the name Epidamnos to be inauspicious because of its wholly coincidental similarities with the Latin word damnum, meaning "loss" or "harm". The meaning of Dyrrachium ("bad spine" or "difficult ridge" in Greek) is unclear, but it has been suggested that it refers to the imposing cliffs near the city

The liburnians knew of no Epidamnos in their early iron age times...they only knew of Butrint town which is on the mainland opposite at that time, the Liburnian owned Corfu. So Durres was most likely colonise by Corinthinas after the Corinthians took Corfu from the Liburnians

no such thing as pagans....... ( this is religious propaganda )they prayed to the same God as we pray to today...............unless you believe when every new religion is created a NEW God is also created
Illrian an thracian tribes Bathiatae-albanian bathë [f] (tg) ‘broad bean’

PAlb. *baϑa̅ (AE 94)
PIE *bhaḱ-o- ‘bean, lentil’ _−_ {1} (Pok. 106)
Gr. φακός ‘lentil’
Notes: {1} [AL/MdV] A non-IE term, possibly "related" to Lat. faba, etc.
dardania-
dardhë [f] (tg) ‘pear(-tree)’
PAlb. *darda̅ {1} (AE 121) _−_ (Pok. 446)
Gr. ἄχερδος ‘pear(-tree)’
Notes: {1} An old loan-word.
Deraemestae- dera.

Arthitae-ardhe

Scirtari-scutari-shkodra

Ditiones-diti-dita

thracian tribes -albanian
Beni-beni

Bessi-besa
Bithyni-byth lol
buri-burre
Artakioi-arta
illyrian kings
Hyllus-yll
Bardylis- e bardhe
nisius-nis
Emathia,pre indo european word for emathia is samadh.
albanian e madh.They pre date slavnic toponyms
in balkans

no such thing as pagans....... ( this is religious propaganda )they prayed to the same God as we pray to today...............unless you believe when every new religion is created a NEW
God is also created

Sile.

Sometimes like children.

They say:Albanians are Pelasgians, Albanians are Illyrians, Albanians are Dardanians, but Pelasgians, Illyrians and Dardanians were three different people in terms of ethnicity.

Pelasgians probably spoke Proto Kartvelian. There are hypothesis that Pelasgians were black people but it is more probable assumption that they were Proto Kartvelian speakers.

Illyrians and Dardanians are different people in terms of ethnicity. Dardanians had different state, names, customs than Illyrians. And Dardanians fought against Illyrians. Dardanians and Illyrians were at war.

For name Dardania there are different sources.

In Albanian sources dardhë (peam) is root of that word.

In Slavic sources it is Slavic name Darodan. Sometimes this name is shorter: Dardan. Since king Darodan (Dardan) ruled this country it got the name Dardanija (Lat. Dardania).

Dar (Slav.) =Gift (Eng.)
Darodan or Dardan (Slav.) = in terms of: Gifted by God

I think, both, Albanian and Slavic interpretations are speculations.

Pure speculation. and demonstrated nescience.
I could also say the same thing..everything you post is about albanian people has no relation to the present day of where we are from.You can see how strong latin influence in albanian language but you try link our language to 19ctry propaganda of serbians no offence is that we are iranian,caspian,caucausus,etc,That is nonsense dont you think?have a open mind my friend

Sile.

Sometimes like children.

They say:Albanians are Pelasgians, Albanians are Illyrians, Albanians are Dardanians, but Pelasgians, Illyrians and Dardanians were three different people in terms of ethnicity.

Pelasgians probably spoke Proto Kartvelian. There are hypothesis that Pelasgians were black people but it is more probable assumption that they were Proto Kartvelian speakers.

Illyrians and Dardanians are different people in terms of ethnicity. Dardanians had different state, names, customs than Illyrians. And Dardanians fought against Illyrians. Dardanians and Illyrians were at war.

For name Dardania there are different sources.

In Albanian sources dardhë (peam) is root of that word.

In Slavic sources it is Slavic name Darodan. Sometimes this name is shorter: Dardan. Since king Darodan (Dardan) ruled this country it got the name Dardanija (Lat. Dardania).

Dar (Slav.) =Gift (Eng.)
Darodan or Dardan (Slav.) = in terms of: Gifted by God

I think, both, Albanian and Slavic interpretations are speculations.
dardan.darodon nothing in slav, gift in slav is darovit stop garrick.This is what im talking about.

Durres come from the Greek colony of Epidamnos in epirus nova ...........

the name Epidamnos to be inauspicious because of its wholly coincidental similarities with the Latin word damnum, meaning "loss" or "harm". The meaning of Dyrrachium ("bad spine" or "difficult ridge" in Greek) is unclear, but it has been suggested that it refers to the imposing cliffs near the city

The liburnians knew of no Epidamnos in their early iron age times...they only knew of Butrint town which is on the mainland opposite at that time, the Liburnian owned Corfu. So Durres was most likely colonise by Corinthinas after the Corinthians took Corfu from the Liburnians

Durres nothing to do with Albanian.

Too bad there are no Greeks to participate, that's their topic.

dardan.darodon nothing in slav, gift in slav is darovit stop garrick.This is what im talking about.

Darodan and darovit are not same meanings. And I said Slavic word. I didn't use term Serbian.

Darodan = in terms of: Gifted (by God)

Darovit = in terms of: Able, Talented

Darodan and darovit are not same meanings. And I said Slavic word. I didn't use term Serbian.

Darodan = in terms of: Gifted (by God)

Darovit = in terms of: Able, Talented
gifted in serbian means obdaren.god in serbian is bog.an same with russian god means bog an ukraine etc.to funny.trying to find the meaning of dardh..we dont change anything its strait up dardh.durres.albanian dhure means gift.The older form of durres was latin word durazzo

gifted in serbian means obdaren.god in serbian is bog.an same with russian god means bog an ukraine etc.to funny.trying to find the meaning of dardh..we dont change anything its strait up dardh.durres.albanian dhure means gift

You can learn Slavic, if you know one language, other are not so difficult (Russian and Polish are harder for us who speak South Slavic).

Darodan, Darovit, Obdaren, Daronosan, Podaren etc. all have same root, word Dar (eng. Gift).

Dar (Cyr. дар) is Serbian/Croatian/Bosniac

Bulgarian: дар, подарък
Slovenian: darilo
Slovakian: dar, darček
Czech: dárek
Ukrainian: дар, дарунок
Russian: дар,подарок
Polish: dar, podarek

I'm celebrating New year and try to write, some Slavic languages I skipped.

You can learn Slavic, if you know one language, other are not so difficult (Russian and Polish are harder for us who speak South Slavic).

Darodan, Darovit, Obdaren, Daronosan, Podaren etc. all have same root, word Dar (eng. Gift).

Dar (Cyr. дар) is Serbian/Croatian/Bosniac

Bulgarian: дар, подарък
Slovenian: darilo
Slovakian: dar, darček
Czech: dárek
Ukrainian: дар, дарунок
Russian: дар,подарок
Polish: dar, podarek

I'm celebrating New year and try to write, some Slavic languages I skipped.
dar means narrow in Azerbaijan an dar also means narrow in turkish. dar means nothing in albanian.i dont think you can ashume dar is related to albanian word dardh or dardania lol out of question,,da also is a turkish word and Azerbaija this is the root of your word dar an da

dar means narrow in Azerbaijan an dar also means narrow in turkish. dar means nothing in albanian.i dont think you can ashume dar is related to albanian word dardh or dardania lol out of question,,

Slavic gift and Turkish & Azeri narrow.

Very logical (irony).

If you read carefully I said that sources which explain that word Dardania is Slavic or Albanian make it incorrectly.

But although Slavic explanation is more comprehensible than Albanian, I think both are false.

Albanian word dardhë is not origin Albanian, it is borrowed, it derived from the Greek word ἄχερδος (wild pear).

According McWorther only about 1 in 12 Albanian words is native to the language.

So, Dardania is not Albanian term, and probably it is not Slavic term.

Very logical (irony).

If you read carefully I said that sources which explain that word Dardania is Slavic or Albanian make it incorrectly.

But although Slavic explanation is more comprehensible than Albanian, I think both are false.

Albanian word dardhë is not origin Albanian, it is borrowed, it derived from the Greek word ἄχερδος (wild pear).

According McWorther only about 1 in 12 Albanian words is native to the language.

1 in 12 are native hmmmm interesting that you say only 12 are native maybe you are right but the problem was what was the illyrian language,thracian language when it went through changes.maybe dardh was a loan word from greek but this word pre dates before the slavnic arrival.How can anyone say that we have only 1 in 12 native words when most of our language stems from proto european i bet that thoses 1 in 12 native words are from thracian,or illyrian.?The fact that south eastern europe was rich in pears an apples in present day kosova dardh shows how early albanian people have been living where we are now..Their is borrowing from latin an ancient greek than not even they speak today.most of thracians an illyrians were absorbed into the latin culture,,like nis this place was the last place known to be a illyrian an roman settlement.as for 12 native words is rubbish an clearly you have no idea of albanian language an the time we did borrow latin an greek.did you know in the slavnic language their is 4000 turkish words infused in to slav languageare slavs a big part of the ottomans?.makes no sense in what you say since albanian language really stems from old proto european that evolved alot of language in balkans

Very logical (irony).

burre,gur,mal,zi.buzze,demh.or dem,dita.keqi,ylli,e madh.kohe,qysh,their is 13 words that were borrowed from the native people before the 6ctry thats strait off the top of my head.The thing is that albanian language has borrowed mostly pre slavnic,It is normal to borrow words from other languages,This means in sometime or rather they made contact with eachother,

Very logical (irony).

slavnic it is incorrect because the time of dardania slavs were not in south eastern europe.It only make sense that albanians borrowed this old word the time of when it was used.such as the king of dardania bardh also king of dardania,not much of the slavnic language is related to the indigenous people of south eastern europe,,i dont mean to offend its just facts otherwise you would see alot of simular words borrowed such as ours.pear in greek now is apidia an pear tree is achladia before that in greek it was apion meaning pear apios meaning pear tree.it is not dardh anymore.This is what i am saying old loanword not spoken by anyone..infact no one really can say it is a loan word from greek since so much has change to this word in greek.apidia,achladia.apion,apios.so when was the time greek word pear had changed.the word infact is a old latin word pirum or pyrus.so looks like greek has borrowed the latin word for pear.

Thanks Taranis. Someone can see I try to use scientific approach and relevant sources.

Facts are that authors using phylogenetic method got this result. Phylogenetic method uses cognates as Comparative method but unlike judgement based method used by linguists in past, phylogenetic method uses machine based algoritmes. Yes, we can discuss about their method but it would be wider discussion which goes beyond this threads and requires new threads. And authors tested Anatolian and Kurgan steppe theory. Anatholian theory holds that IE languages spread with the expansion of agriculture about 6000-8000 years before Christ. Using Bayesian Markov chain Monte Carlo method to estimate divergence times authors find support for Anatolian theory. What is interesting authors found evidence for diveregence several speech variety groop at time which is supposed for Kurgan hypothesis.

While I agree that this belongs in a different thread, I wanted to sumarize my thoughts on that: I personally think the methodology of Gray and Atkinson is fundamentally flawed, first because it assumes that replacement of words in vocabulary would be regular (which is absurd), second, because they are basing this off vocabulary, not off sound changes. If you were to incorporate sound changes you would see that the tree that they have layed out is pretty impossible.

Are there cognates in Albanian and Iranian languages? Albanian lanuage is descend from Proto-Albanian, today is divided on Gheg and Tosk. Iranian languages ar descended from Proto-Iranian and they are familiar with Indic languages. From Proto Iranian developed a lot of branches and sub-branches, wider categories are Northeastern, Southeastern, Southwestern and Northwestern. If we limit on Northwestern Iranian languages branches are: Kurdish, Zaza-Gorani, Kuri, Balochi, etc., among them are Talish languages which include Azerbaijan and Northern Iran (South Caucasus and area around Caspian sea).

Cognates cannot reflect more recent contact, in that case we don't speak about common ancestry. There are words in Albanian and Talysh. With Turkish more words from Persian entered in Albanian. But Talysh is old language and it is not fully (only partialy) intelliglibe with Persian. Talysh family of languages identify themselves with ancient Cadusians.

Here is several words Talysh and Albanian (thanking one Kurd):

The problem with the Albanian-Talysh connection is that this would not only place Albanian inside Indo-Iranic, but also inside Iranic, which is pretty impossible. I would say that Indo-Iranic is one of the best established sub-branches of Indo-European, other than Balto-Slavic, or let me put it differently, the support for Indo-Iranic is more solid than for, say, for Italo-Celtic (though I would say that it is valid as a sub-branch).

I brought up earlier in the thread that there is a merger *o, *e > *a (and *ē, *ō > *ā), which is a key sound change of Indo-Iranic. Another feature is the merger *l > *r . For Iranic, a key sound change is the sound shift of word-initial *s- > *h-, which by the way, is a feature that Iranic shares with Armenian and Greek. Albanian, in contrast, does not feature any of these sound-laws. As I said, *e and *o were kept as distinct vowels in Proto-Albanian, and *l and *r are distinct vowels, and word-initial *s has a number of outcomes, depending on the rest of the word - oncluding *ɟ (spelled "gj"), and *θ (spelled "th").

As for the examples you gave, I won't go into detail about all of them, but for some of them I can readily give you cognates in other branches of Indo-European:

Carry (Eng.) bar (Tal.) mbart (Alb.)

Compare with English "to bear", German "(ge-)bären" (to give birth), Latin "ferre" (to carry), Greek "pherō" (φερω).

Tree (Eng.) dar, du (Tal.) dru (Alb.)

English "tree" is also a cognate (Grimm's Law), Old Irish "dair" (oak), Welsh "derw" (oak), also found in Gaulish "druides" (literally 'tree-seers').

We can discuss if these words are borrowed in Albanian, but these are words which do not borrow (or rarely) and very slow change over longer time.

This is not true. Glottochronology is fundamentally flawed as a method, in particular because you do not have words that change "slower" over time. Whenever a sound change occurs, it applies to all words of the vocabulary. If there are seemingly exceptions, these are conditioned by their own set of rules.

Where does that leave Albanian, though? As we said, Albanian is a Satem language (which it indeed shares with Indo-Iranic, but also Armenian and Balto-Slavic), and Albanian does share the sound shift of short *o > *a with Balto-Slavic and Germanic, so you could argue that it sits halfway between those, with reservations. I might add that Dacian, in contrast, preserved *a and *o as distinct, and if you argue for a closer relationship between Dacian and Albanian, it must be argued that the *o > *a merger in Albanian occured at a later point.

(Happy New Year, by the way :) )

While I agree that this belongs in a different threat, I wanted to sumarize my thoughts on that: I personally think the methodology of Gray and Atkinson is fundamentally flawed, first because it assumes that replacement of words in vocabulary would be regular (which is absurd), second, because they are basing this off vocabulary, not off sound changes. If you were to incorporate sound changes you would see that the tree that they have layed out is pretty impossible.

The problem with the Albanian-Talysh connection is that this would not only place Albanian inside Indo-Iranic, but also inside Iranic, which is pretty impossible. I would say that Indo-Iranic is one of the best established sub-branches of Indo-European, other than Balto-Slavic, or let me put it differently, the support for Indo-Iranic is more solid than for, say, for Italo-Celtic (though I would say that it is valid as a sub-branch).

I brought up earlier in the thread that there is a merger *o, *e > *a (and *ē, *ō > *ā), which is a key sound change of Indo-Iranic. Another feature is the merger *l > *r . For Iranic, a key sound change is the sound shift of word-initial *s- > *h-, which by the way, is a feature that Iranic shares with Armenian and Greek. Albanian, in contrast, does not feature any of these sound-laws. As I said, *e and *o were kept as distinct vowels in Proto-Albanian, and *l and *r are distinct vowels, and word-initial *s has a number of outcomes, depending on the rest of the word - oncluding *ɟ (spelled "gj"), and *θ (spelled "th").

As for the examples you gave, I won't go into detail about all of them, but for some of them I can readily give you cognates in other branches of Indo-European:

Compare with English "to bear", German "(ge-)bären" (to give birth), Latin "ferre" (to carry), Greek "pherō" (φερω).

English "tree" is also a cognate (Grimm's Law), Old Irish "dair" (oak), Welsh "derw" (oak), also found in Gaulish "druides" (literally 'tree-seers').

This is not true. Glottochronology is fundamentally flawed as a method, in particular because you do not have words that change "slower" over time. Whenever a sound change occurs, it applies to all words of the vocabulary. If there are seemingly exceptions, these are conditioned by their own set of rules.

Where does that leave Albanian, though? As we said, Albanian is a Satem language (which it indeed shares with Indo-Iranic, but also Armenian and Balto-Slavic), and Albanian does share the sound shift of short *o > *a with Balto-Slavic and Germanic, so you could argue that it sits halfway between those, with reservations. I might add that Dacian, in contrast, preserved *a and *o as distinct, and if you argue for a closer relationship between Dacian and Albanian, it must be argued that the *o > *a merger in Albanian occured at a later point.

(Happy New Year, by the way :) )

Thanks Taranis, and Happy New year, too.

Yes, I said, method used by Gray & Atkinson can be criticized, they have supporters and critics, and it's good for science.

Yes, facts are that Albanian is separate IE branch, and it is Satem, and researchers link it with Dacian, Thracian, Baltic-Slavic, Armenian, Indo-Iranian, etc.

This can be explained if the Albanians lived in the territory belonging to parts of present-day Romania, Moldova, Ukraine, even Slovakia and Poland where Albanian toponyms found. It cannot be explain with Centum languages, as Messapian.

For Messapin is proved that it is Centum language. Also for Venetic. You know there are researchers who link Messapian and Venetic with Illyrian.

Grammar of modern Indo-Europen

"Messapian (also known as Messapic= is extinct language of south-eastern Italy, once spoken in the regions of Apulia and Calabria. It was spoken by the three Iapygian tribes of the region: the Messapians, the Daunii and the Peucetti. The language, a centum dialect, has been preserved in about 260 inscriptions dating from the sixth to the first century BC. It became extinct after the Roman Empire conquered the region and assimilated the inhabitants."

You can see here in forum several false attempts to bind Albanian with Messapian, but it is wrong. Messapian nothing to do with Albanian. Centum and Satem are two world different. And Messapian inscriptions are different. You can see Slovenian researchers Messapian inscriptions link with Slovenian. In Slavic countries, especially Bosnia and Slovenia, and to a lesser extent Croatia, there are researchers who claim that Illyrian has links with Slavic, and Illyrians are ancestors of Bosniacs, Slovenians, Croats, Western Serbs etc. If we see geography llyria mostly was in territory of former Yugoslavia and a much smaller part of Northern Albania. My opinion is that Slavic and Albanian thinking about Illyrian is false, but I will give informations by Slavic researchers (mostly Slovenians, Bosnians, Croats; Serbian researchers generally do not do it) who link Slavic and Illyrian, that Albanians see that there is opposite opinion.

One Albanian told me that Northern Illyrian was Centum but Southern Illyrian was Satem. You know, it is not possible. If it is case, we speak about two different languages, not about dialects. After that, he said he will prove that Mesapian, Venetic and Iliyrian are Satem languages. He still did not answer.

Albanians can be Free Dacians, as some Romanian scientists. Not only Albanians, Free Dacians were different tribes and people. But it is possible that some Free Dacian tribes were Albanian. There is enough information that Dacian or Free Dacian origin of Albanians have fundaments, and this hypothesis is competitive among several.

• Albanian language is an Indo-European language in a branch by itself, sharing its branch with no other extant language. The other extant Indo-European languages in a branch by themselves are Armenian and, in some classifications, Greek. Though sharing lexical isoglosses with Greek, Balto-Slavic, and Germanic, the vocabulary of Albanian is quite distinct. Once hastily grouped with Germanic and Balto-Slavic based on the merger of Proto-Indo-European *ǒ and *ǎ into *ǎ in a supposed "northern group", Albanian has been proven to be distinct from these two because this vowel shift is only part of a larger push chain that affected all long vowels. Albanian does share two features with Balto-Slavic languages: a lengthening of syllabic consonants before voiced obstruents and a distinct treatment of long syllables ending in a sonorant. Conservative features of Albanian include the retention of the distinction between active and middle voice, present tense, and aorist.
  • Standard Albanian has 7 vowels and 29 consonants. Gheg uses long and nasal vowels, which are absent in Tosk, and the mid-central vowel ë is lost at the end of the word. The stress is fixed mainly on the last syllable. Gheg n (femën: compare English feminine) changes to r by rhotacism in Tosk (femër).
  • Albanian has a canonical word order of SVO (subject–verb–object) like English and many other Indo-European languages. Albanian nouns are inflected by gender (masculine, feminine and neuter) and number (singular and plural). There are five declensions with six cases (nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative, and vocative), although the vocative only occurs with a limited number of words, and the forms of the genitive and dative are identical (a genitive is produced when the prepositions i/e/të/së are used with the dative). Some dialects also retain a locative case, which is not present in standard Albanian. The cases apply to both definite and indefinite nouns, and there are numerous cases of syncretism. Albanian can be placed at a variety of points within the Indo-European tree with equally good fit; determining its correct placement is hampered by the loss of much of its former diagnostic inflectional morphology and vocabulary

burre,gur,mal,zi.buzze,demh.or dem,dita.keqi,ylli,e madh.kohe,qysh,their is 13 words that were borrowed from the native people before the 6ctry thats strait off the top of my head.The thing is that albanian language has borrowed mostly pre slavnic,It is normal to borrow words from other languages,This means in sometime or rather they made contact with eachother,

It's where you put your lips, when you don't know other ways to eat :)

It's where you put your lips, when you don't know other ways to eat :)

He demonstrates unknowingness, but you can see, they put many things and nobody has time to answer for every term, notion, issues.

For example:

Albanian word ulk : ujk : uk (wolf);in the same way this word (ulk : ujk, plural ulq : ujq) accounts for the name of the ancientand present town of Ulqinin Montenegro

According him, Ulcinj is Albanian word, derived from Albanian word ulk, ujk.

But Albanian ulk, ujk (wolf) is borrowed from Slavic vlk. Pra-Slavic vlk is English/German wolf.

There are many and many geographical names in Slavic countries with root vlk.

For example Vlkyňa (South. Slav. Vlkinja), village and municipality in Slovakia.

We can see according grammar rules:

k -> c

v -> u

and a disappeared in the end

Vlkinja = Ulcinj

According it Ulcinj can be Slavic name with Slavic root vlk (wolf).

If Ulcinj is Illyrian name it means that some Slovenian (also some Bosnian and Croatian) researchers can be right, but officialy it is Greek name by origin.

It means I don't say that Ulcinj by origin is Slavic name. Officialy name Ulcinj is derived from Greek tribe Kolhidians, and it was Kolhinijum, it is possible that Slavs adapted this name to something that they knew. But nothing to do with Albanian, what is false.

This thread has been viewed 332973 times.

Back