Illyrian and Albanian - a linguistic approach

Middle Ages Edit
The Illyrians were mentioned for the last time in the Miracula Sancti Demetrii during the 7th century.[55] With the disintegration of the Roman Empire, Gothic and Hunnic tribes raided the Balkan peninsula, forcing many Illyrians to seek refuge in the highlands. With the arrival of the Slavs in the 6th century, most Illyrians were Slavicized.[56][better source needed]

if someone can claim a possible Illyrian origin, these would be today fully latinised, possibly some Aromanian tribes,

you post about Ευθυμιου, you said a lot,
BUT EVEN SHE DENYS THE ILLYRIAN ORIGIN, WATVH VIDEO YOU POST CORRECT,

the Illyrian ancestry is myth,
the most possible and logical is general Maniakis.

if someone can claim a possible Illyrian origin, these would be today fully latinised, possibly some Aromanian tribes,

you post about Ευθυμιου, you said a lot,
BUT EVEN SHE DENYS THE ILLYRIAN ORIGIN, WATVH VIDEO YOU POST CORRECT,

the Illyrian ancestry is myth,
the most possible and logical is general Maniakis.
What is Ευθυμιου?
What video are you talking?

@laberia

you post it at forum,

do you forget what you post?

@laberia

you post it at forum,

do you forget what you post?

Yetos, i have posted many videos here. Pls explain better what you intend.

EDIT.
And this Eυθυμιου, what is this?

still this thread is alive?
still serbs try to be relatives with illyrians?
maybe you have illyrian blood because you're next to albania, but your language is SLAVIC and that's the end of the story.
ask putin to tell you who're your ancestors he's your relative

@A.PAPADIMITRIOU
the italian guy you're refering to, went in albania and studied the albanian language etc, so before calling funny what he said do what he did and then tell us your opinion, right now you're in the dark.

Last edited:
Well i have re-checked some documents about the toponymy-anthroponymy of the Illyrians , and maybe going beyond the list of name\surnames presented by Prof.Eqerem Cabej here ,http://itsh.edu.mk/wp-content/uploads/Studime-Albanologjike-5..pdf , Bardus, Bardyllis,Bardibalus, Bato, Dasas, Das(s)iu s, Dida, Licaus, Licca, Marica,. One specially draw my attention , the abovementioned , 1)CASTRA ULCISIA * ( eng” The castle of the wolf ” alb “Keshtjella e ULKESHES ” |the female of the wolf| )… ULCISIA =ULKESHA,2)ULCIRUS MONS * (eng “The Mountains of the wolfs” alb ” Malet e ULQERVE” , in plural ) ULCIR =ULQER,3)ULCEA pal*
ULCA fl*
ULCINIUM, ULCIANUM\Ulpiana ,Kosovo as Papazoglou says in here ,http://www.anubih.ba/images/publikacije/djela/CBI/DJELA XXX-1 Papazoglu.pdf( In the singular form of the word ) ULC=ULK. My question is how is possible , that we have only toponymy with that term, considering that in the middle ages the ULK derivated names where in a certain extent widely used by the albanians, like The name VUK among the slavic people for example . So in the basis of the assumption that there is a certain possibility to find such derivated names , i checked this documents ,https://www.academia.edu/513800/Les...stream/bub_gb_62g9AAAAYAAJ#page/n11/mode/2up( alfred holder had a simple "priciple" of identification ALL the non-greek, non-roman names are Celtic!!!!),https://www.scribd.com/doc/53791427/Duje-Rendić-Miočević-Iliri-i-antički-svijet(ecxellent work-collection by Duje Rendic-Miocevic) i searched and for Katicic,Alfoldy, Mirdita but nothing !!! Now before that the "ethnic" map of Pannonia,
Pannonia_popolazioni_png.png

, But before the different derivations in albanian of the term ULK , ( ULKA\UJKA&ULKESHA\UJKESHA(shewolf), UJQER\ULQER (in plural), UJKTHI\ULKTHI& dialect UJKUDH\ULKUDH and other minor used ULKAN\UJKAN, ULKASH\UJKASH etc etc !!!!NOW one of my favorite is this ,13.39 / 12183 – Ulca Proc(u)li ? Le nom..." Ulcus" ...ne semble pas avoir été attesté auparavant mais puisque le gentilice Ulcius existe..,un tel surnom ou idionyme n'a rien de vraiement surprenant. 1713 Dans le cas présent, il sembleraitque ce soit un nom unique porté par une pérégrine!!?( 1713 Schulze 1904: 99, 252; Mócsy 1983: 317, s.v. Ulcius ; Solin&Salomies 1994: 194, s.v. Ulcius ; Lőrincz 2002:179, s.v. Vlcivs) Ucco Tarato,Uccus ou Uccius,Ucco est unnom bien attesté dans le Norique et bien qu'il ne soit pas absolument certain qu’ il soit celtique àl'origine..... Fom Ivan Radman-Livaja wich in totaly dishonest
arbitrarily, and subjectiv way consider it only as a Celtic name, wich is disputed
*ulkʷos m

1. evil, bad
  2. """(possibly)""" wolf
( ignoring completely the ILLYRIC etymology of the word, and
Home > U u > u̯l̥kʷos​
u̯l̥kʷos
English meaning wolf German meaning `Wolf' Grammatical comments General comments Derivatives u̯l̥kʷī `Wölfin' Material Ai. vŕ̥ka- m. `Wolf', vr̥kīḥ `Wölfin', vr̥káti- `ein Wölfischer', vr̥kāyú- `böse, mordlustig'; av.vəhrka- `Wolf (geneuertes Fem. vəhrka); gr. λύκος (geneuertes Fem. λύκαινα); lat. lupus (sabin. Lw.); got. wulfs, aisl. ulfr, ags. as. wulf, ahd. wolf `Wolf', fem. ahd. wulpa, mhd. wülpe, aisl. ylgr (aus *wulgis, idg. *u̯lkʷī); lit. vil̃kas, lett. vìlks, apr. wilkis, aksl. vlьkъ ds.; fem. lit.vìlkė, slav. vъlči-ca in serb. vùčica, russ. volčíca; mit doppelter Schwundstufe (?): .......1)alb. ulk `Wolf', ligur. MN Ulkos, illyr. PN Ulcudius, Ulcirus mons, ON Ουλκίνιον, pannon. Ulcisia castra; abrit. PN Ulcagnus, urir. (Ogam) Gen. Ulccagni = air. PN Olcán, also auch air. olc, Gen. uilc `böse', als Subst. m. `Missetäter', n. `Böses, Übel' (S.307, 310); vgl. auch den päon. MN Λυππειος, Λυκκειος der auf alten Labiovelar hinweisen könnte; Szemerényi (KZ. 71, 199 ff.) nimmt illyr. ulk- aus *u̯ulk-, idg. *u̯l̥kʷ- an; dann müßte kelt. ulko- als illyr. Lw. angesehen werden; auffällig ist der lat. PN Vlp(ius) Lupio (CIR 130);
möglich wäre auch, daß lat. lupus und germ. *wulfaz mit idg. p zu ai. lopāśa- m. `Schakal, Fuchs', av. raopi-, mpers. ropas usw. gehört, oder mindestens von einer derartigen Wurzelbeeinflußt ist (s. oben S. 690, wo auch Gall. PN Λούερνιος, abrit. Gen. Lovernii, cymr. llywarn, acorn. louuern, nbret. louarn `Fuchs', idg. *louperno-s hinzufügen ist). References WP. I 316 f., WH. II 836 f., Trautmann 359, Vasmer 1, 218, 223 f.; vielfach tabuistisch entstellt; den Labiovelar leugnet W. Wissmann im D. Wb. 14, 2, 1242. See also Pages 1178-1179

, But before the different derivations in albanian of the term ULK , ( ULKA\UJKA&ULKESHA\UJKESHA(shewolf), UJQER\ULQER (in plural), UJKTHI\ULKTHI& dialect UJKUDH\ULKUDH and other minor used ULKAN\UJKAN, ULKASH\UJKASH etc etc !!!!NOW one of my favorite is this ,13.39 / 12183 – Ulca Proc(u)li ? Le nom..." Ulcus" ...ne semble pas avoir été attesté auparavant mais puisque le gentilice Ulcius existe..,un tel surnom ou idionyme n'a rien de vraiement surprenant. 1713 Dans le cas présent, il sembleraitque ce soit un nom unique porté par une pérégrine!!?( 1713 Schulze 1904: 99, 252; Mócsy 1983: 317, s.v. Ulcius ; Solin&Salomies 1994: 194, s.v. Ulcius ; Lőrincz 2002:179, s.v. Vlcivs) Ucco Tarato,Uccus ou Uccius,Ucco est unnom bien attesté dans le Norique et bien qu'il ne soit pas absolument certain qu’ il soit celtique àl'origine..... Fom Ivan Radman-Livaja wich in totaly dishonest
arbitrarily, and subjectiv way consider it only as a Celtic name, wich is disputed
*ulkʷos m

1. evil, bad
  2. """(possibly)""" wolf
( ignoring completely the ILLYRIC etymology of the word, and
Home > U u > u̯l̥kʷos​
u̯l̥kʷos
English meaning wolf German meaning `Wolf' Grammatical comments General comments Derivatives u̯l̥kʷī `Wölfin' Material Ai. vŕ̥ka- m. `Wolf', vr̥kīḥ `Wölfin', vr̥káti- `ein Wölfischer', vr̥kāyú- `böse, mordlustig'; av.vəhrka- `Wolf (geneuertes Fem. vəhrka); gr. λύκος (geneuertes Fem. λύκαινα); lat. lupus (sabin. Lw.); got. wulfs, aisl. ulfr, ags. as. wulf, ahd. wolf `Wolf', fem. ahd. wulpa, mhd. wülpe, aisl. ylgr (aus *wulgis, idg. *u̯lkʷī); lit. vil̃kas, lett. vìlks, apr. wilkis, aksl. vlьkъ ds.; fem. lit.vìlkė, slav. vъlči-ca in serb. vùčica, russ. volčíca; mit doppelter Schwundstufe (?): .......1)alb. ulk `Wolf', ligur. MN Ulkos, illyr. PN Ulcudius, Ulcirus mons, ON Ουλκίνιον, pannon. Ulcisia castra; abrit. PN Ulcagnus, urir. (Ogam) Gen. Ulccagni = air. PN Olcán, also auch air. olc, Gen. uilc `böse', als Subst. m. `Missetäter', n. `Böses, Übel' (S.307, 310); vgl. auch den päon. MN Λυππειος, Λυκκειος der auf alten Labiovelar hinweisen könnte; Szemerényi (KZ. 71, 199 ff.) nimmt illyr. ulk- aus *u̯ulk-, idg. *u̯l̥kʷ- an; dann müßte kelt. ulko- als illyr. Lw. angesehen werden; auffällig ist der lat. PN Vlp(ius) Lupio (CIR 130);
möglich wäre auch, daß lat. lupus und germ. *wulfaz mit idg. p zu ai. lopāśa- m. `Schakal, Fuchs', av. raopi-, mpers. ropas usw. gehört, oder mindestens von einer derartigen Wurzelbeeinflußt ist (s. oben S. 690, wo auch Gall. PN Λούερνιος, abrit. Gen. Lovernii, cymr. llywarn, acorn. louuern, nbret. louarn `Fuchs', idg. *louperno-s hinzufügen ist). References WP. I 316 f., WH. II 836 f., Trautmann 359, Vasmer 1, 218, 223 f.; vielfach tabuistisch entstellt; den Labiovelar leugnet W. Wissmann im D. Wb. 14, 2, 1242. See also Pages 1178-1179

exercitus, please change your flag to match country of your residence. If you wish you can also state your ethnicity.

And than , i have noticed it in Pokorny , ULK etymology, but i thought that was just a Toponymy for that reason i underestimate it . Well i am speaking of the ILLYRIAN PEREGRINUS in ROMAN DACIA ," Ulcudius Baedari", a compact community of Central-south Illyrians from Sardeatae, Baridustae, Delmatae and Artani , wich Emmigrated in today central-south ROMANIA ( Ancient DACIA ROMANA ) it is here
[h=3]The barbarians within. Illyrian colonists in roman Dacia = Los bárbaro form I.Nemeti , except ULCUDIUS BEADARI , there are a great amount of typical illyrian onomastic few examples ,Beusas Platoris, Bisius Scenobarbi, Dasa Suttinis, Dasantus
Scenobarbus, Dasas Licai, Dasas Loni qui et[...], Dasas Verzonis, Dasas
Sta(...) qui et Durius, Dasius Verzonis, Dasius [...], Dassius Breuci, [...]us
Dassius,Scenobarbus Dasi,Verzo Beusantis,Panes Bizonis,Verzonis Sclaies,Lossa !!! We should take in consideration the " interpretationes Romanae" of the anthroponymy with the typical latin suffix , ius, as etc, the orthographical issue and adaptation in latin pronounce . About the other names in the list , just some indications remember the etymology of the Latin name FLAVIUS ( verzulli as a surname in Italy in the basis of Treccani, Ganino do not have a clear etymology ), as Prof Cabej observed the onomastic BUZAS, BUZETI the analogy with the albanians in middle ages ( 1461)/ Buza Mengeše, χωριό Kavalari Trusa - Grebena/. So to turn to the ULK derivated TOPONYMY\ANTHROPONYMY of ILLYRIAN inhabitants and territories my conclusion in the basis of this glossas ULCA, ULCIR,ULCISIA,ULCUDI, etc is clear THEY DO RESPECT COMPLETELY THE RULES OF ALBANIAN PHONETIC AND PRONOUNCE( obviously with the same identical meaning) !!![/h]

And here https://www.academia.edu/212907/The_peregrine_names_from_Dacia, u have a very important statistical-demographic data about the percentage of the PEREGRINUS in DACIA , First place of the ethnic group ( including ALBURNUS MAIOR"compact community of illyrians") , ILLYRIANS ; 46.28% ..., ITALIC; 22.5%, Greek;20.29%, celtic;9.4% etc SO let us RATIOCINATE a little bit about this meaningful fact ... WHY , the linguistic issue , so Brancus, Ungureanu etc etc think that the common words in albanian-romanian are , 1) as Ungureanu conclude ; So are they loanwords or substrate ? As we have shown in our article about the substrate, with examples from many languages, the words common to Romanian, Arumanian and Albanian are, typologically, substrate in many languages. 2)Wanderwörter, LOANWORDS , lingustic influence from a language to the other !!! So history learn us that the proto-romanian ( thraco-daco-roman stock ) get almost completely latinized in more than 250 years ... , knowing that a considerable presence of illyrian population in dacia romana lived in massive community make me believe the Albanian linguists or the zealous Prof ISTVAN SCHÜTZ , the words , few examples ;alb "MOSHE" , eng "age", rom "moș" very old man or alb BUKUR ,eng beautiful, rom Bucur, Bucuros" the phonetic of this word is even identical with the albanian BUKUROSH ( rom version; happy ,joy) et etc etc THAT THIS LOANWORDS ARE JUST A ILLYRIC INFLUENCE IN THE NEO-LATIN LANGUAGE WICH WE CALL ROMANIAN

Let continue with the Anthroponymy ;(Siscia onomastic)19.74 / 12307 - Scenua Balausus ; racine bal- a déjà été attestée dans les noms illyriens ;Ballaeus,Balaesus, Balaudos , Balo , Baluus, ... the corrispondence is impressive ,because the nucleus word "Bal" https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bal ,and its derivations are widely used even today in the same identical meaning , ex; Bala,Balo, Balash(alb, The bright ,The blond haired) , Balush,Balshi, Balshaj (BARDI-BALUS as Prof Cabej noticed two
synonymous words )

etc etc08.13 / 12524 – Baletas (onomastique «illyrienne») , just to be more concrete, https://sq.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abdi_Baleta

26.10 / 12870 - Dasius Batonis , TOTALY ILLYRIAN name\surname , about , sing DASIUS, DASA plur DAESITIATES or DASSARETI The names of the Illyrian people (Delmats, Taulanti, Dardanci) is now associated with specific words in the Albanian language. This etymological research shows totemic origin of the name of the Illyrian people. Name of Daesitiates would also be linked with the Albanian term "dash" to mean "ram", it is very possible that the ram was the totemic animal of Daesitiates,https://www.academia.edu/3613553/Ime_ilirskog_naroda_Dezitijata , or as Livaja admitt
DASIUS( Dasius est un nom illyrien bien connu )!!! 01.72 / 12191 – Lecana, Lecanus ... ,( Les noms Lecana et Lecanus pourraient éventuellement être apparenté à un nomcomme Lic(c)ana , celui-ci certainement pannonien et il n’est donc pas exclu que ces nomsfaisaient partie du répertoire onomastique autochtone. De même, un lien avec un nom probablement celtique comme Lec(c)us n’est pas invraisemblable non plus ( vide infra ) 04.14 / 12186 – Lecus Liccaius( LECUS ,wich Livaja affirm that is noticed in GERMANIA SUPERIOR ... but it is a little far away from a ILLYRIAN town as SISCIA and why this Alexander the "german" carry a typical illyrian surname LICCA ?! Tough issue for Ivan radman-livaja ) , a nice combination , illyr LECUS,LAECA,LECCUS,LECCO , alb LEKA , LEKE, LEKAJ ,LEKUSH, LEKO , the other illyr LICCAIUS,LICCEUS,LICAIOS etc alb LIKE , LIKA ,LIKO, LIKAJ ..... (LECUS LICCAIUS i.e.LEK LIKAJ ) https://www.facebook.com/lek.likaj Well i can give u tens of examples of this name\surname ( the abbrevations of the name ALEXANDER in alb; LEK,LEKA & LESH, LLESH or adapted in slavic LJES ) , one example is peculiar ,
[h=1]Duje Rendić Miočević, among the typical, illyrian names\surnames like scendo-bardi, bali-bardus, bato dassi etc etc one draw my attention LICCA BARDI , I century BC , now i will give u a nice example of forced islamization of albanians of Prizren around 1500 ad, Hasan Petko, Ahmed
Lika, Hasan Lika and Mahmud
Lika, sons of """"Lika Bard"""" , just coincidence ????[/h]

19.21 / 12577 - ...... Bardylis , Bardus, Bardurius, Bardi-balus, Sceno-bardi etc etc from Rendic-Miocevic the last one ( from central-southern ILLYRIA) , are totaly ILLYRIAN!! ex ; BARDHYLL ( m ) Albanian Said to come from Bardyllis, the name of an ancient Illyrian king, which is popularly held to mean "white star" (from Albanian bardhë "white" and yll "star"). or in the middle agges(1461) Bardi Šorbi, χωριό Ierano - Grebena.Bardi Vanare, χωριό Kavalari Trusa - Grebena. a name ,a name which is continuously used, because of the specific etymology "White" like "Albinus, Albanus" in latin... And here, (Bardus qui est probablement celtique, 780)Radman-livaja continue in his filthy , self-contradictory ,ridiculous way of identify the name-persons !!! LOOK WHAT HE HAS WRITTEN IN THE REFERENCE NUMBER 780 ;780 Bardus est considéré par certains auteurs comme un nom.... illyrien,... cf. Krahe 1929: 16, s.v. Bardus ; Mayer 1957:77, s.v. Bardus ; Bardurius , un nom de famille ou selon Alföldy, un gentilice, est attesté en milieu delmate à Rider etil ne fait guère de doute que ce nom, apparenté par Alföldy au nom Bardus , était porté par un Delmate, Aplis Pladomeni f. , cf. ILJ 117; Rendić -Miočevi ć 1971: 162 = Rendić -Miočević 1989: 786; Alföldy 1969 SO HE PRACTICALLY DENY AND REJECT WHAT HE WRITTEN ABOVE !!! THAT GUY IS VERY CONFUSED , OR MAYBE WAS JUST A DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO MISLEAD AND LIE !!!

24.31 / 12942 LALOS, LALUS ,he give this references Pape&Benseler 1870: 767, s.v. L¤loj ; Mócsy 1959: 177; Mócsy 1983: 158, s.v. Lalus ; Solin 1996 : 407, s.v. Lalus ; Lőrincz 2000: 18, s.v. Lalvs ; Solin 2003: 770, s.v. Lalus 1229 Mócsy 1983: 158, s.v. Lallus, Lalus ; Lőrincz 2000: 18, s.v. Lallvs, Lalvs ; Lambert 2003: 25-33; Delamarre 2007:114, s.v. Lallus, Lalus , Actually is a other one here https://archive.org/details/bub_gb_62g9AAAAYAAJ COTTIUS LALUSI from Aquilea !!! Well sincerely i have my doubts that specialy the version with the suffix ( US, USSI) exist in greek , i am a greek -speaker so trust me i am aware of the etymology , not only but there is and the loan from greek to albanian with the meaning news , information lajm < λαλημα ; http://www.fhf.edu.al/doktorata/juljana_kume.pdf ,I ADVICE TO THE ALBANIAN-SPEAKERS TO READ THIS DOCUMENT TO UNDERSTAND HOW ANCIENT AND DEEP IS THE RELATION BETWEEN GREEK AND ALBANIAN LANGUAGES , instead AS ONOMASTIC LALUS\SH EXIST ONLY IN ALBANIAN , few examples (1461) Lalka Kalendži, χωριό Kalendži - Gardičko & Laluš Kokule, χωριό Mengeše Komani - Vomiro,Lala Maži, χωριό Štopansi,Moriki, χωριό Lalusi, and the slavic adapted form in CRNA GORA(MONTENEGRO) Lalusovo Osoje , modern albanians with that surname , LALOSHI, LALUSHI ,https://ca.linkedin.com/in/gjergji-...ofileengine.com/people/177156965/ardi.lalushi

Well i have re-checked some documents about the toponymy-anthroponymy of the Illyrians , and maybe going beyond the list of name\surnames presented by Prof.Eqerem Cabej here ,http://itsh.edu.mk/wp-content/uploads/Studime-Albanologjike-5..pdf , Bardus, Bardyllis,Bardibalus, Bato, Dasas, Das(s)iu s, Dida, Licaus, Licca, Marica,. One specially draw my attention , the abovementioned , 1)CASTRA ULCISIA * ( eng” The castle of the wolf ” alb “Keshtjella e ULKESHES ” |the female of the wolf| )… ULCISIA =ULKESHA,2)ULCIRUS MONS * (eng “The Mountains of the wolfs” alb ” Malet e ULQERVE” , in plural ) ULCIR =ULQER,3)ULCEA pal*
ULCA fl*
ULCINIUM, ULCIANUM\Ulpiana ,Kosovo as Papazoglou says in here ,http://www.anubih.ba/images/publikacije/djela/CBI/DJELA XXX-1 Papazoglu.pdf( In the singular form of the word ) ULC=ULK. My question is how is possible , that we have only toponymy with that term, considering that in the middle ages the ULK derivated names where in a certain extent widely used by the albanians, like The name VUK among the slavic people for example . So in the basis of the assumption that there is a certain possibility to find such derivated names , i checked this documents ,https://www.academia.edu/513800/Les...stream/bub_gb_62g9AAAAYAAJ#page/n11/mode/2up( alfred holder had a simple "priciple" of identification ALL the non-greek, non-roman names are Celtic!!!!),https://www.scribd.com/doc/53791427/Duje-Rendić-Miočević-Iliri-i-antički-svijet(ecxellent work-collection by Duje Rendic-Miocevic) i searched and for Katicic,Alfoldy, Mirdita but nothing !!! Now before that the "ethnic" map of Pannonia,
Pannonia_popolazioni_png.png

Some of these tribes are erred
Taurisci are a Gaulish tribe originating on the border of modern france and switzerland
the
Catari was the name of a tribe belonging to the Venetic peoples that are sometimes confused with Illyrians.[1]

The Boii discovered Bologna in Italy

You are missing my point , i really don't care what the Catari where( what concern me is tha fact that the inhabitans around Siscia municipium , in this specific case the Colapiani of the Colapis (Kulpa) valley were Illyrians ) or that the Taurisci originated in today France or Switzerland , doesn't have any kind of importance concerning the topic , Anyway just extra info ;
The southernmost Norican town of Celeia, which became municipium in the time of the emperor Claudius (municipium Claudium Celeia), was in the pre-Roman period one of the most important centres of the Celtic Taurisci. It became the administrative centre for a broad area of southern Noricum, thus acquiring the role of fons et origo for its Romanization; http://iza.zrc-sazu.si/En/Osebne_strani/Visocnik_diss.html The Taurisci were a federation of Gallic tribes who dwelt in today's northern Slovenia (Carniola) before the coming of the Romans (c. 200 BC)[1] According to Pliny the Elder, they are the same people known as the Norici.[2][3] SO MAYBE THE ORIGIN OF CATARI IS DISPUTED , BUT THIS MAP IN GENERAL TERMS IS CORRECT , ITALIANS ARE EXCELLENT ABOUT THIS STUFF , BECAUSE OF THE " SPLENDOR IMPERIALIS " ISSUE !!!

The list of the ALBANIAN- ILLYRIAN ANTHROPONYMYC CONGRUENCE AND COMPATIBILITY is to long , and sincerely i have other stuff to do , so you can check those Documents by your self (Warning for NON-ALBANIAN SPEAKER is very hard to undertand the Albanian phonetics and pronounce ), only a observation about the onomastic issue we always had the impression that the post-christian era ( after the 4-th century, because of the calendaric names) changed radically the albanian middle age anthroponymy( even Prof. CABEJ say so) . I do not agree completely , facing names like ( Didus, Dedus\Dedalus, Preconis\Preculis,Lalos\Lalusi,Gonis\Ginis(in compound names),Lecca\Leccani, Licca\Liccaeus etc etc Dr. Dhimiter Shuteriqi would have wanted very very much ,to just take a look to this list of onomastic, there were even a female name MARIGO , wich Radman-levaja consider it with strange and obscure pronounce that do not fit neither with greek ,latin or celtic :) ask any albanian if they know any person with that precise name !!! About the linguistic issue, Abeis is much more prepared than me so take a look to his comments , anyway it WELLKNOWN the kinship between the Illyric-albanian , ;
See also: Albanian language

• Personal Illyrian names, Andena, Andes, Andio, Antis, based on a root and- or ant-, found in both the southern and the Dalmatian-Pannonian (including modern Bosnia and Herzegovina) onomastic provinces; cf. Alb. andë (northern Albanian dialect, or Gheg) and ëndë (southern Albanian dialect or Tosk) "appetite, pleasure, desire, wish".[25]
  • aran "field"; cf. Alb. arë; plural ara[26][page needed]
  • Ardiaioi/Ardiaei, name of an Illyrian people, cf. Alb. ardhja "arrival" or "descent", connected to hardhi "vine-branch, grape-vine", with a sense development similar to Germanic *stamniz, meaning both tree stalk and tribe, lineage. However, the insufficiency of this theory is that so far there is no certainty as to the historical or etymological development of either ardhja/hardhi or Ardiaioi, as with many other words.[25]
  • Bindo/Bindus, an Illyrian deity from Bihać, Bosnia and Herzegovina; cf. Alb. bind "to convince" or "to make believe", përbindësh "monster".[27]
  • Bilia "daughter"; cf. Alb. bijë, dial. bilë[28]
  • bounon, "hutt, cottage"; cf. Alb bun[29][page needed]
  • Barba- "swamp", a toponym from Metubarbis; possibly related to Alb. bërrakë "swampy soil"[30]
  • can- "dog"; related to Alb. qen[30]
  • Daesitiates, a name of an Illyrian people, cf. Alb. dash "ram", corresponding contextually with south Slavonic dasa "ace", which might represent a borrowing and adaptation from Illyrian (or some other ancient language).[25]
  • mal "mountain"; cf. Alb. mal[31][page needed]
  • bardi "white"; cf. Alb. bardhë[32][page needed]
  • drenis "deer"; cf. Alb. dre, dreni[29][page needed]
  • delme "sheep"; cf. Alb. dele, Gheg dialect delme[33][page needed]
  • dard "Dardania"; ostensibly connected with cf. Alb. dardhë, "pear"[34]
  • drakoina "supper"; cf. Alb. darke, dreke[35][page needed]
  • Hyllus (the name of an Illyrian king); cf. Alb. yll (hyll in some northern dialects) "star", also Alb. hyj "god"[35]
  • sīca "dagger"; cf. Alb. thikë or thika "knife"[36][page needed]
  • Ulc- "wolf" (pln. Ulcinium); cf. Alb. ujk, ulk, "wolf"[37][page needed]
  • brisa "husk of grapes"; cf. Alb. bërsí "lees, dregs; mash" (< PA *brutiā)[30]
  • loúgeon "pool"; cf. Alb. lag, legen "to wet, soak, bathe, wash" (< PA *lauga), lëgatë "pool" (< PA *leugatâ), lakshte "dew" (< PA laugista)[38][page needed]
  • mag- "great"; cf. Alb. i madh "big , great"[30]
  • mantía "bramblebush"; Old and dial. Alb. mandë "berry, mulberry" (Mod. Alb. mën, man)[citation needed]
  • Ragusa-Ragusium "grape"; cf. Proto-Alb. ragusha (Mod. Alb. rrush)[35]
  • rhinos "fog, mist"; cf. Old Alb. ren "cloud" (Mod. Alb. re, ) (< PA *rina .early *rena)[39]
  • Vendum "place"; cf. Proto-Alb. wen-ta (Mod. Alb. vend)[35]

This thread has been viewed 332045 times.

Back