Disgusting Food of Europe Map

I like liver too, but I never get it as nobody else likes it here.
But when we eat out, and it is on the menu, 2 times out of 3 I'll pick that.

Same for the pizza, I'm the only one who needs anchovis on it.

You have to learn to make it for yourself. :) They're easy and quick recipes.

I'm not squeamish about liver at all. It's the smell of the chicken liver I don't like. As for the calves' liver, it's that grainy texture.

Anchovy is a "secret ingredient" in a lot of my recipes, but I don't like the "hairy" texture of the tiny ones from a can that people put on things like pizza or what Americans call "Caesar" salad. They're also too pungent for me or "fishy" tasting because of the way they're processed.

120315_EX_anchovyPizza.jpg.CROP.cq5dam_web_1280_1280_jpeg.jpg

Fresh anchovies taste very different: fresh and mild. Whenever I go back to my area in Italy I eat them as much as possible since I can't get them here. They're delicious. If we didn't eat anchovies and sardines, and various other small, ugly, fish, we wouldn't eat much fish at all, because the Ligurian sea is famously pretty empty of big fish like the kinds you get in other places in Italy.

anchovies.jpg

Sardines are different. I can get the fresh ones here and I love them. I even like the jarred variety. My favorite way of eating them, though, is grilled over a wood fire. In the summer we go to Greek restaurants in Astoria to eat them. They are so yummy. The Portuguese have a nice way with them too. Most of the Italian restaurants have more "assimilated" restaurants.
thumb_600.jpg

I don't know when Anglo countries decided that eating rabbit was "gross", but it's stupid. It's the most delicious, sweet, low fat meat.
On the rare occasions I'm in a Portuguese market and see it, I grab it. Otherwise, I have to eat it at Portuguese restaurants, although I prefer it "our" way. Considering how over-run Australia is with rabbits because they weren't part of the original ecosystem and they have no predators, they should start a campaign where they're hunted and sold and people should eat it a couple of times a week.

I3JEPV227140-kaeD-U10302612381171ECE-640x320%40LaStampa.it.jpg

I think it has to do with rabbits being "too cute and adorable" to eat, according to whoever decided that they shouldn't be eaten. I personally don't care, I never had rabbit but I would be happy to give it a try. I had cat brains at a French restaurant and I loved every ounce of them! They were juicy and they felt like really thick pieces of scrambled egg. They even tasted a bit like eggs, but mostly like any piece of beef

I appreciate all people who are discussing these recipes because these recipes are very cool because these recipes are connected to Europian cuisine

The blood in tomato is a typical dish of the province and one of the oldest tapas that were served in the bars of Cádiz. It is a typical recipe for the slaughter of pigs and the use of all their products. It is also usually made with chicken blood or turkey.

P1000404.JPG

I love

Anchovies are awesome. As is rabbit.

Steak tartare is pretty amazing too.

I've been trying to research the origin of the Hamburg steak and steak tartare. I believe the former is considered to have originated with mongols who introduced minced meat to Russians who introduced it to Germans. However, minced meat seems like a simple concept and I have read that the meat placed under the saddle by Mongols would have been sweaty and inedible so maybe its a native German invention invention. Wikipedia also mentions a similar dish from Roman times. Steak tartare is also considered to have a mongol origin but I have also read food historians say its name comes from tartare sauce it was served with (also the sauce apparently has nothing to do with the people or the region of Eurasia but rather the coarse texture (symbolizing barbarianism) of the sauce and the people). Does anybody know more about the origin of these two dishes?

This thread has been viewed 37596 times.

Back