Advice for the right country for me.

johnatanasoff

Reaction score
I am looking to move out from Portugal and find another country to live indefinitely.
I would like you to advise me the top 3 countries offering me what i look for.

Key important points for me to consider relocating:

- Country with a "good, stable financial situation" where unemployment rate isn't high.

- Where foreigners are tolerated and people are treated equally.

- With warm weather on summer so you can swim in the sea. With mountains, where skiing is possible in winter.

Key important points i don't want:

- Eastern European countries with a communistic or soviet union background. These are countries, I would not feel safe settling down.

I have been thinking France. But i am open for your advice.

Last edited:
I am skipping your key point 2. The tolerans rapidly goes down.

But here is my list;

France, Catalania, North Italy.

Canada complies with all except, warm sea to swim. Australia lacks skiing. US will satisfy all your requirements.

I am skipping your key point 2. The tolerans rapidly goes down.

But here is my list;

France, Catalania, North Italy.

I love spain, france and italy. Heck i love portugal! But portugal does not have a pleasant present, neither a good future.
Spain has a terrible economic and employment situation. Therefore a no go! I haven't declined italy.

Canada complies with all except, warm sea to swim. Australia lacks skiing. US will satisfy all your requirements.

US is definetely awesome when it comes to nature. But no countries outside EU. I would need a visa or green card for that. I had no idea you could ski in california too? Aparently there are resorts.
Anyway US is so big that if you live in california and you want to ski decent slopes you need to go arizona, nevada, colorado. A few hours flying. Equivalent to flying within european union.

The idea is to do these things inside the country and save money on flights and the extra shipping costs for the materials etc. Plus for the sake of me being close to the skiing slopes and save time even if i have to fly :)

You're definitely correct about the green card if you come to the U.S.

However, just for accuracy, you can live right outside New York (a forty minute to one hour train ride to fabulous cultural and sports events) and be a 45minute car ride from beautiful beaches and boating, an hour to Pine Barrens for hiking, a three hour drive to so-so skiing in New Jersey and the Catskills (or beautiful lakes for fishing and boating), and a four hour drive from great skiing in Vermont. Southern Connecticut also is very close to great beaches, and even closer to great skiing. The trip into the city is only about fifteen minutes longer.

You could find similar kinds of situations in California, at least if you're not way down in southern California.

Now I sound like a travel agent! :)

However, just for accuracy, you can live right outside New York (a forty minute to one hour train ride to fabulous cultural and sports events) and be a 45minute car ride from beautiful beaches and boating, an hour to Pine Barrens for hiking, a three hour drive to so-so skiing in New Jersey and the Catskills (or beautiful lakes for fishing and boating), and a four hour drive from great skiing in Vermont. Southern Connecticut also is very close to great beaches, and even closer to great skiing. The trip into the city is only about fifteen minutes longer.

You could find similar kinds of situations in California, at least if you're not way down in southern California.

:) Thanks. I won't get a green card so any country outside EU does not count!

I would like surfing to be a 1h drive. Skiing can be more. This are added benefits of nature and things i love doing.
The main thing is to find a country with good weather and good economic situation to live indefinitely.

Maybe Northern Italy, or Southern France, if you want EU... if not, go to Australia :))))

I am looking to move out from Portugal and find another country to live indefinitely.
I would like you to advise me the top 3 countries offering me what i look for.

Key important points for me to consider relocating:

- Country with a "good, stable financial situation" where unemployment rate isn't high.

- Where foreigners are tolerated and people are treated equally.

- With warm weather on summer so you can swim in the sea. With mountains, where skiing is possible in winter.

Key important points i don't want:

- Eastern European countries with a communistic or soviet union background. These are countries, I would not feel safe settling down.

I have been thinking France. But i am open for your advice.

Unemployment in France was 10% in Jan 2017. It was 11.7 in Italy, and 10.5 in Portugal. Those are the latest figures I can find.

I don't understand your logic, for choosing France as your next destination. I don't think there is a huge difference in unemployment rate between France or Italy in comparison to Portugal.

France has a lot of immigrants, not all French like their immigrants. There is a shade of grey. I have met very nice Caucasian people and very mean ones. We can only say the so called equality is a myth.

In Italy the north is wealthy and the south is poor, the north does not want to help the south. It is not really a country for immigrants unlike Canada, Australia etc. However, there is discrimination in Australia too. Well, Australia these days is very multicultural, but most of the immigrants are from Asia unlike in Europe where most of the immigrants are from Africa and the Middle East.

Australia is very popular for Chinese immigrants and Indian immigrants. Australia is a world leader in "severely unaffordable" housing, a study of global housing markets has found, with Sydney the second most unaffordable major housing market in the world, coming behind only Hong Kong.

If you want to migrate to Australia you better have a lot of money, otherwise it will be very hard. I don't think you are interested to move out of EU, even though a lot of people in this thread have suggested countries outside of EU.

In France, the Le Pen party is getting quite popular. She does like want legal or illegal immigrants. If she wins, she has pledged to pull France out of NATO and the E.U., to abolish the euro and reintroduce the franc, among other radical and potentially destabilizing ideas. She, too, is buddies with Russian President Vladimir Putin (naturally). A Le Pen victory in May could well precipitate the collapse of the European project.

As long as EU still exists, even if it ends, as an European you can easily take a holiday to nearby EU countries for ski vacations. Most southern part of Europe has seas you can swim in. However, the countries who have better economy are mostly up north.

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statis...seasonally_adjusted,_February_2017_(%)_F2.png

There is Malta 4.1 percent, Germany and Nordic countries are lower but those countries are cold

Have you considered to Russia? Apart from your last point it is ideal. The economy is very stable with a growth at 1.3%, so not too high and not too low. Unemployment is at a very reasonable 5%. In the south, for example in Sochi, the weather is very hot in summer and you can swim in the Black Sea, but it snows in winter and you can also ski. Sochi actually hosted the Olympic Games a few years ago. Then Russia has history of tolerance and equality among it's multicultural society. It's used to be an a multiethnic empire. In Soviet times, whatever your ethnic background was, you were treated equally and sent to the gulag if you opposed the regime. I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed that much.

Have you considered to Russia? Apart from your last point it is ideal. The economy is very stable with a growth at 1.3%, so not too high and not too low. Unemployment is at a very reasonable 5%. In the south, for example in Sochi, the weather is very hot in summer and you can swim in the Black Sea, but it snows in winter and you can also ski. Sochi actually hosted the Olympic Games a few years ago. Then Russia has history of tolerance and equality among it's multicultural society. It's used to be an a multiethnic empire. In Soviet times, whatever your ethnic background was, you were treated equally and sent to the gulag if you opposed the regime. I'm pretty sure it hasn't changed that much.

I think he did say that he does not want Eastern European countries with a communistic or soviet union background. With these countries, he told us, he would not feel safe settling down.

Two years into economic slump in Russia and unemployment is at 5%?!!! This must be a miracle economy. Unheard of. There must be something weird going on here. Either Putin lies on the official unemployment numbers or perhaps foreign workers (former Soviet republics) are leaving fast, vacating working places for local people. Whatever it is, there is something wrong with this picture.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-16/russia-s-mysterious-unemployment-light-recession

Last edited:
Sometimes I feel like I'm Alice after she fell down the rabbit hole. Sweet lord...Russia!

I'd go to Switzerland or Norway. But Angela is right: we've got it all here in Southern California. But we're also overpopulated as it is, so...how about Utah? :)

I'd go to Switzerland or Norway. But Angela is right: we've got it all here in Southern California. But we're also overpopulated as it is, so...how about Utah? :)
If california were in Europe, it would have 100 million people, by Switzerland density.

He did say he would like warm weather on summer so you can swim in the sea. With mountains, where skiing is possible in winter. So Norway is definitely out. I think he does not want to go outside of Europe.So Utah is not an option. I am not sure he is a fan of the Mormons neither. In France these religious bodies are banned, not sure about Portugal. Unless you are being sarcastic...

Switzerland is very expensive, more expensive than Australia. Many French or Germans who live at the border or perhaps Italians as well go work there for higher salaries and then return to their countries at the end of the day. However these people already have the linguistic and cultural abilities to do that. To my understanding, it is very competitive. I think my Swiss friend told me that these days there are Swiss people who go to France, Italy or Germany to work as well. It is now a two way street. There is racism, the French are called "Les Shadocks."

Two years into economic slump in Russia and unemployment is at 5%?!!! This must be a miracle economy. Unheard of. There must be something weird going on here. Either Putin lies on the official unemployment numbers or perhaps foreign workers (former Soviet republics) are leaving fast, vacationing working places for local people. Whatever it is, there is something wrong with this picture.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-16/russia-s-mysterious-unemployment-light-recession

According to this: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/unemployment-rate

Russia's unemployment rate is 5.6 percent.

Russia’s labour rules are some of Europe’s most restrictive and companies are under pressure from the Kremlin not to reduce staff headcount, making it difficult to fire people.

Instead, employers would rather cut salaries, reduce working hours and give staff unpaid holidays, reminiscient of Soviet-era tactics when unemployment was all but outlawed and masking the true state of the labour market.

So your North American instinct is right, I guess the ppl on that side of the world never trusted Russia...

According to this: http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/unemployment-rate

Russia's unemployment rate is 5.6 percent.

Russia’s labour rules are some of Europe’s most restrictive and companies are under pressure from the Kremlin not to reduce staff headcount, making it difficult to fire people.

Instead, employers would rather cut salaries, reduce working hours and give staff unpaid holidays, reminiscient of Soviet-era tactics when unemployment was all but outlawed and masking the true state of the labour market.

So your North American instinct is right, I guess the ppl on that side of the world never trusted Russia...
Right. I lived in communist Poland way back when people had nothing better to do in factories than drinking vodka and playing card games. And whole country was facing shortage of even toilet paper. This is what too much of government regulation do to economy and human lives.

He did say he would like warm weather on summer so you can swim in the sea. With mountains, where skiing is possible in winter. So Norway is definitely out. I think he does not want to go outside of Europe.So Utah is not an option. I am not sure he is a fan of the Mormons neither. In France these religious bodies are banned, not sure about Portugal. Unless you are being sarcastic...

Switzerland is very expensive, more expensive than Australia. Many French or Germans who live at the border or perhaps Italians as well go work there for higher salaries and then return to their countries at the end of the day. However these people already have the linguistic and cultural abilities to do that. To my understanding, it is very competitive. I think my Swiss friend told me that these days there are Swiss people who go to France, Italy or Germany to work as well. It is now a two way street. There is racism, the French are called "Les Shadocks."

64 degrees in the summer (Norway) IS a bit too much like San Francisco. But no skiing in the winter?? Ummm... k. And what's wrong Mormons? They're businesss friendly, family friendly, and Utah is one of the top 5 most beautiful states in the Union. (You can leave the religious bigotry at the door, thank you very much.) Sure the beach is a bit of a drive, but that's a good thing as the sea levels begin to rise. As for Switzerland, the skiing is fantastic, it's gorgeous and it's rich. Rich is good.

This thread has been viewed 37654 times.

Back