Genetic information for Bosnia and Herzegovina?

Bosnian Boss

Reaction score
Ethnic group
Bosniak, Serb, Croat, Czech, German
Y-DNA haplogroup
I-M423
mtDNA haplogroup
J1C1
Hello again! If somebody would be so willing as to provide a summary on the genetics of Bosnians (all 3 major ethnicities), it would be greatly appreciated! (y) I've done some research on my own and have seen conflicting or sparse data, as the region is overlooked, as per usual. Outside of other South Slavs, who would be their closest genetic brethren or who do they cluster with primarily? Also, are they primarily descended from Slavic ethnic groups or indigenous Balkan populations?
Thank you in advance!

I've got lots of data from Bosnia/Herzegovina saved except Y DNA. I'll post it tomorrow.

Hello again! If somebody would be so willing as to provide a summary on the genetics of Bosnians (all 3 major ethnicities), it would be greatly appreciated! (y) I've done some research on my own and have seen conflicting or sparse data, as the region is overlooked, as per usual. Outside of other South Slavs, who would be their closest genetic brethren or who do they cluster with primarily? Also, are they primarily descended from Slavic ethnic groups or indigenous Balkan populations?
Thank you in advance!

The oldest indigenous people of Bosnia That I recall are Illyrians .................later Celts, Romans and Goths occupied the land........eventually the slavs moved in

nevgen.org

With the help of this Y-DNA predictor, with high reliability, you will find out which haplogroup or its subbranch you belong to.
Predictor gives precise percentages of probability and fitting of your results in the average value of one or more haplogroups.

Basic goal of NEVGEN predictor is to ease haplogroup determination for people from South Slavic countries, like Serbia, Bosna, Croatia, Bulgaria, and others. So, we added several rare sublades which are existing among Serbs and other south Slavic peoples, like J2b1-M205, J1-PF7264 or N1a-P189.2.
For example, N1a is very important among Serbs, but virtually nonexistent elsewhere, so it is decided to enter it into predictor to ease haplogrup determination for our people tested in Serbia on 17 or 23 markers. Also, with the same reason are added several subclades of R1a which are important in Southern Slavs, like Carpatho-Dalmatian cluster, L1280, and M458. And also there is separate clade of Carpatho-Dinaric I-L621, which is mainstay of Serbs, Croats, and other Southern Slavic peoples.

nevgen.org

With the help of this Y-DNA predictor, with high reliability, you will find out which haplogroup or its subbranch you belong to.
Predictor gives precise percentages of probability and fitting of your results in the average value of one or more haplogroups.

Basic goal of NEVGEN predictor is to ease haplogroup determination for people from South Slavic countries, like Serbia, Bosna, Croatia, Bulgaria, and others. So, we added several rare sublades which are existing among Serbs and other south Slavic peoples, like J2b1-M205, J1-PF7264 or N1a-P189.2.
For example, N1a is very important among Serbs, but virtually nonexistent elsewhere, so it is decided to enter it into predictor to ease haplogrup determination for our people tested in Serbia on 17 or 23 markers. Also, with the same reason are added several subclades of R1a which are important in Southern Slavs, like Carpatho-Dalmatian cluster, L1280, and M458. And also there is separate clade of Carpatho-Dinaric I-L621, which is mainstay of Serbs, Croats, and other Southern Slavic peoples.

i am very impressed with the predictor

nevgen.org

According to 23andMe, my Y-DNA Haplogroup is I2a2, which is apparently very rare in Southeastern Europe (<1%), appearing with the greatest percentage in Northern and Central Germany, Northern Sweden and Benelux. For all I know, my father's side of the family are all Bosniaks, but again this is an ancient pre-Celto-Germanic haplotype. Which data do I input into NEVGEN and can I find it on 23andMe?

@Bosnian Boss,

This is all I have. It isn't much. I'd say the most important aspect that needs to be investigated is lots of shared recent ancestry with other East Europeans. A lot of ancientDNA from Balkans is needed to understand more so distant ancient-origins. Early Medieval DNA is needed to understand recent shared ancestry amoung all East Europeans.

ADMIXTURE

In ADMIXTURE tests Bosnian are intermediate between Poles and Romanians. The whole West Balkans is that way. Bosnians can fit as roughly 60% Romanian and 40% Polish.
IBD(Recent ancestry).
IBD analysis shows East Europe is the only region in Europe where everyone have lots of recent shared ancestry. This is because of "The Age of Migration" in the (~400-800 AD)Early Middle Ages and probably mostly because of expansion of Slavic languages. The IBD between Bosnians and all East Europeans(xGreece) is very big and largest amoung neighboring ethnic groups.
mtDNA
This is the only section I know better than anyone. I have no high-coverage Bosnian mtDNA. With Low coverage data they just have a typical European mtDNA makeup. Their JT/N1/U falls under Euro-specific clades. If I where to get high coverage mtDNA lots of more detailed info would appear. Two important pieces of info is they share a high amount of T1a with other Balkans and share Slavic/East European specific lineages with other Slavs.
Y DNA
I don't have any Bosnian Y DNA saved. But I do know that over 50% falls under I2a1b2a1-CTS5966 which appears to have expanded recently, maybe only 2,000 or less years ago. It's very popular throughout the Balkans, and peaks around Bosnia. So, like many people, Bosnian Y DNA is mostly defined by a mega-lineage.

According to 23andMe, my Y-DNA Haplogroup is I2a2, which is apparently very rare in Southeastern Europe (<1%), appearing with the greatest percentage in Northern and Central Germany, Northern Sweden and Benelux. For all I know, my father's side of the family are all Bosniaks, but again this is an ancient pre-Celto-Germanic haplotype. Which data do I input into NEVGEN and can I find it on 23andMe?

I2a2 today peaks around Germany, but as far as I know no Germanic-specfic subclade has been found. I2a2 is very old and did not expand recently. Most Copper age Spanish had I2a2 and a high amount of Bronze age Hungarians did. There's absolutly no way to know the ancient origins of your I2a2 without really expansive DNA testing which is a waste of money.

23andme uses very old haplogroup names, and if 23andme has your haplogroup as I2a2 exactly, that means that you are I-M423 , or I2a1b per current Isogg tree ,

( you can check at 23andme: ancestry tools -> haplogroup tree mutation mapper; and/or use chrome y-tree-addon)

Given your origin you are most probably I-L621+ (I2a1b2)> I-CTS10228+(I2a1b2a1)

You can't use 23andme data with Nevgen predictor, since Nevgen works with STR results , and 23andme doesn't test STR.

nevgen.org

very good predictor utile and accurate

There's a very good paper on autosomal genetics in the Balkans, including Bosnia. I's been posted and discussed on this forum. It's always a good idea to use the search engine when you have a question.

Kovacevic et al: Standing at the Gateway to Europe-The Genetic Structure of West Balkan Populations
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0105090

It's broader than just west Balkan populations, but they do break out Bosniacs, Bosnian Croats and Bosnian Serbs. Not a heck of a lot of difference.

The paper was discussed by us here:
http://www.eupedia.com/forum/threads/30366-The-Balkans-as-Genetic-Corridor?highlight=Bosnians

This thread has been viewed 11395 times.

Back