Ancient DNA England: Iron age, Roman-Gladiator, and Anglo Saxon

This legionnaire was most likely recruited from the 22nd legion from Galatia Anatolia and his "regiment" was detached from the 22nd and sent to Britain to topup the 9th legion in Britain after the 9th had major losses in the campaigns of 64AD ( in Britain )

these burials are all legionnaire burials
- single burial instead of the typical gladiator mass burial
- buried with legionnaire marching sandals, every uncomfortable to wear unless on the march.
- all decapitated........most likely an execution of every 10th legionnaire due to some form of disgrace for the legion.
- all skeletons are same minimum height and build ............gladiators do not fit any of these

well he might have been a legionnaire point. But I doubt a Galatian because his aDNA is very typical modern South Levantine screams Ghassanid who were known to be allied to the Roman Empire.

Last edited:
He was a special anti guerrilla warfare unit. Septimius Severus used small groups of similar units from Lybia to fight against Britons in Scotland.

He was a special anti guerrilla warfare unit. Septimius Severus used small groups of similar units from Lybia to fight against Britons in Scotland.

If he was indeed from Lybia that would indicate, that ancient North Africa was more South Levant Semite like and received aditional SSA admixture. However I still believe he was Ghassanid.

Last edited:
If he was indeed from Lybia that would indicate, that ancient North Africa was more South Levant Semite like and received aditional SSA admixture. However I still believe he was Ghassanid.

and the Romans did recruit a lot of archer auxilia from Syria.

Could they estimate the age of death - if 40+ maybe retired soldiers turned gladiators?

You didn't really "turn" gladiator. You were either a slave or it was a punishment, although there are some reports of people volunteering or in effect selling themselves to an "agent" because of extreme debt.

I think it's important to know the precise dates for the bodies they studied. I couldn't find that information in the paper. They gave a broad time span that covered two centuries I think. If the bodies covered that whole time period it couldn't have been a case of some group rebellion of soldiers who were executed, although it could still have been individual soldiers from various time periods who were executed. However, I can't imagine burying a rebel of deserter with grave goods like that. Also, hacking away with a sword is not typically the way rebellious soldiers were killed, as I've mentioned before. They were normally stoned or beaten to death, as beheading or a death by the sword was considered an honorable way to die. Also, they tended to kill with a sword thrust from behind down through the neck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decapitation#Classical_Antiquity

The bodies and the burials don't fit what would have happened after a death in the arena either. Why behead someone who had been clawed to death by an animal or speared or slashed to death already? You died there if you lost. If you were a rebellious gladiator I suppose you might have been executed, but again, the method seems wrong for the Romans as far as gladiators were concerned. They were on the bottom of the social ladder, not deserving of a mode of death used for citizens. There are numerous examples of rebellious gladiators being crucified.

Still, if these were soldiers killed and beheaded by the Britons north of the wall, you'd think they would have buried some insignia or tokens of their service with them.

It's very mysterious.

You didn't really "turn" gladiator. You were either a slave or it was a punishment, although there are some reports of people volunteering or in effect selling themselves to an "agent" because of extreme debt.

I think it's important to know the precise dates for the bodies they studied. I couldn't find that information in the paper. They gave a broad time span that covered two centuries I think. If the bodies covered that whole time period it couldn't have been a case of some group rebellion of soldiers who were executed, although it could still have been individual soldiers from various time periods who were executed. However, I can't imagine burying a rebel of deserter with grave goods like that. Also, hacking away with a sword is not typically the way rebellious soldiers were killed, as I've mentioned before. They were normally stoned or beaten to death, as beheading or a death by the sword was considered an honorable way to die. Also, they tended to kill with a sword thrust from behind down through the neck.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decapitation#Classical_Antiquity

The bodies and the burials don't fit what would have happened after a death in the arena either. Why behead someone who had been clawed to death by an animal or speared or slashed to death already? You died there if you lost. If you were a rebellious gladiator I suppose you might have been executed, but again, the method seems wrong for the Romans as far as gladiators were concerned. They were on the bottom of the social ladder, not deserving of a mode of death used for citizens. There are numerous examples of rebellious gladiators being crucified.

Still, if these were soldiers killed and beheaded by the Britons north of the wall, you'd think they would have buried some insignia or tokens of their service with them.

It's very mysterious.
You have convinced me. It fits better the disgraced soldier scenario.

You have convinced me. It fits better the disgraced soldier scenario.

I haven't convinced myself yet, although I'm leaning toward soldiers. :) Too many holes in the evidence.

Gladiators' games also fit well; the people that paid to see "shows" like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zliten_mosaic#/media/File:Bestiarii.jpg

needed to be fed with more blood and more shows when there weren't available Christians or whatsoever "punishable" people (somehow like actual TV shares... but without 0 ethics or humanity)

if you are a circus' manager, and you have a mortal wounded gladiator in the arena (he will die slowly and any care will be costly), an "option" would be to profit the case, so that the winner would behead the loser displaying the prize publicly: more blood and more show, the populace will come back by sure... or if they could decide to spare or not the life of the loser, maybe they decided also how to finish it.

The inhumations were done separately and with respect, maybe by their own companions.

The case of Thumelicus could explain quite well the bias about gladiators:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumelicus

Being a germanic prisioner he could be U106; some short-view genetists could test his Y DNA saying that such haplo was in Italy before lombards...

Hello everyone! Was hoping to bump this thread a bit... as I have a personal "interest" in it - I'll explain why!

I've been a participant in DNA testing for a while now, and it appears to have finally "paid off!" I am most interested in Y-DNA for now since I lost my father in an accident at work, so I am doing this in honor of him. Also I love history - especially Roman and Greek history!

First off, I'm a member of the subgroup DF98 under U106, which I share with the House of Wettin - a lot of research has been done by my group leader Dr. McDonald (he's also in DF98). That was a surprise. Also we have the descendants of the Norman Odard de Dutton in my subgroup under DF98 - S1911 (which does have a connection to France via Y-DNA with a tester from Poitou-Charentes - we really need MORE testing in France - especially NE France!). Dr. McDonald used the matching Y-DNA profile of the Dutton and Warburton families of Cheshire to date their split and it lines up very well with the traditional inheritance of the Warburton estate by a Dutton. Keep in mind Dr. McDonald's dates for Big Y SNPs have been back up by ancient dna results from R1b and also fit nicely with the U106 result from Southern Sweden and these two Romano-British U106ers (6drif-3 and 3drif-16)... so he's on the right track.

My personal interest is in the cemetery as a whole (very interesting!) and especially the two U106ers! I match 6drif-3 at some SNP markers first found in my y-chromosome! My line of descent in common with him goes like this: U106-Z381-Z156-Z304/305/306/307-DF98-S1911-S1900/S1894-FGC14818/FGC14823/S4004-FGC14816/FGC14817! He's listed under Alex Williamson's big tree in a block of five SNPs including FGC14816 and FGC14817 that I share with a few other families. A Jarman family probably from Powys in Wales, and a Via family (possibly a NE French origin) who is a close match with a Staples (probably English) - Staples and Via both probably share a common ancestor/NPE event in the early American colonies in Virginia and Jarman is also an early American colonial immigrant who "may have been from Wales." Also the S4004 level clusters in Northern England and especially in Scotland. My "closest" match that has an Isles (or European) origin for sure is this 6drif-3 skeleton as funny as that sounds. I KNOW where he was from - or at least where he was buried ;). Also interesting that my small subgroups starting with S1894 and S4004 have a lot of Scots in them... but generally from where the Romans would have been like in the East and Lowlands etc.

I have read all the reports... and it appears the Driffield cemetery was a good mix of people based on isotope and lead analysis... and while I'm very excited with the "Gladiator" theory and have watched the Channel 4 program "Gladiator:Back from the dead." That was pretty cool - I managed to figure out my ancestor's skeleton was examined and presented as the "heavyweight" or Murmillo gladiator because he was the tallest at about 183 cm and had that butterfly fracture on his right ulna etc - read that on the osteology report)... I have trouble drawing a parallel to the pit grave style cemetery of the known Gladiator cemetery in Ephesus. Many of our Driffield guys were buried in coffins and my 6drif-3 guy was buried very close to a possible grave mound that had the three guys in it with the bones from the four horses and evidence for possible feasting and also funeral monuments - chunks of worked stone. Also more evidence for some post holes and features that were probably not graves, but marked boundaries etc. The lack of grave goods and tombstones doesn't really bother me too much - I often wonder if they have been picked over by the residents of York in the preceding 1800 years since they were buried, and also there is great evidence for re-use of many tombstones in walls in the late Roman period aka tombstones from Chester (I think that is the right one... the biggest collection of Roman era tombstones - whichever English town in the North that has that)... so these guys could have had some type of marker and we would never know. Besides there have been plenty of tombstones found near Driffield and even a burial vault...

I have a hard time explaining the decapitations - whether they were ritual in nature as there is plenty of evidence for decapitation burial rites particularly in the NW of Southern England in the Oxfordshire region... or inflicted in interpersonal violent/battle/the arena etc.

At least for my guy 6drif-3... his pathology parallels some of the skeletons from the Battle of Visby mass grave (in particular the mass grave with the most armor in it - the nine mail hauberks etc) in that he has defensive wounds to his right arm in the form of sharp force trauma from a bladed weapon - 3 on his right ulna - and also the blunt force trauma butterfly fracture of the right ulna - almost like they hit it with a shield or something like on the channel 4 program. He lacked sharp force trauma to his cranial bones (helmet?) and many other skeletons I've read about at from execution cemeteries and unarmored combatants have a great deal of sharp force trauma to the skull - a very good target indeed. The armored skeletons from Visby (apparently at least the author's informed conclusion in a paper on sharp force trauma patterns in medieval battlefield graves) had most of their wounds on their arms, hands, and neck... just like my guy. I am unaware if he had any sharp force trauma to his torso. The pathology for his skeleton said about 90% complete so I'm pretty sure he had most of his ribs etc... and they don't list any sharp force trauma to the torso... so perhaps he also had armor on? The unarmored skeletons from Visby apparently had plenty of wounds to the torso. I try to interpret the data in a practical or realistic manner. Why chop a guy's arm several times and smash it... if you could instead stab him somewhere else or in his head? Also in some studies his decapitation is regarded as the manner of death and he is listed as a "possible" decapitation - so more likely dealt in combat since the head wasn't completely removed - part of the vertebrae was fractured etc.

Based on a lot of the stuff I've read like the different reports on battlefield trauma on existing medieval skeletons... and the isotope/lead analysis and the "exotic" background of many of these guys... and their stature and trauma etc etc... I tend to interpret them more as some type of soldier or auxiliary... also considering where my Y-DNA group DF98 clusters - around Mannheim and Worms along the Upper Rhine - though that is usually House of Wettin's subgroup S18823... my group branches off from Df98 at S1911 and is only really connected loosely to France. Or was his male line Iron Age migrants to Britain? There is evidence of locals being recruited into the Roman army in Britain around about 150AD (my guy 6drif-3 was "local" in his autosomal/admixture signature - so Ancient Briton, but he had a strange Carbon value when younger - teeth sample - 2 standard deviations from the local York average - in Britain this had been interpreted with eating more seafood - not millet according to a study in 2013 I think)... and evidence that units of British Roman units taking part in the Pius' Mauretanian war in the mid 2nd century AD (see Vivien G Swan's The Twentieth Legion and the history of the Antonine Wall reconsidered for pretty good evidence of North Africans serving in the Roman Army along Hardian's or Antonine Wall - a few of the Driffield guys according to their lead sample were most likely from the Medditerrean basin and of black or mixed ancestry - so possibly North African? We know the 3drif-26 guy was probably from the Near East/Syria area?).

Also interesting is that there were 4 out of six inhumations that were decapitated and buried much like the Driffield guys buried next to the Roman Fort at Inveresk in East Lothion, Scotland. There was also a burial near those inhumations of a whole horse... though they stated they were not positive it was wasn't Iron Age... but probably Roman since it was very close to the Roman period graves etc. This forst was used by a cavalry unit up until 160ish AD... it was a part of the Antonine Wall and a port in the East I'm sure for the Roman forces. There has to be a connection between that... but I can't say fore sure!

Ok I've probably taken up enough space with my hypothesis... and of course I would be equally excited if they were in fact Gladiators... I don't really buy the "criminal or slave" idea not beause of personal bias... but because I can't find a parallel of slaves or criminals buried in a coffin and with apparent respect in a prominent (based on surrounding graves etc) Roman cemetery - which I suppose just adds to the mystery of this cemetery right!

Cheers!

Charlie

I just got alerted to it by this article in archaeology news:
http://archaeology.org/news/4081-160119-driffield-terrace-skeletons

That led me to this University of York article and then to the paper.
http://www.york.ac.uk/news-and-events/news/2016/research/headless-romans/

Maybe it's because I've only quickly skimmed the actual paper, but while the "gladiators" or "soldiers" are similar to the Iron Age sample, the isotope analysis shows that they may have been raised outside of Britain.

That might have implications for understanding that 2/6 carried U-106, usually held to signal "Germanic" migrations. Either they came from nearby on the continent, from similar people, or U-106 arrived before the Anglo-Saxon invasions, perhaps with the Belgae?

How interesting also that we find our first Roman Era Middle Eastern sample in Britain! We need to see a comparison of him to early Anatolian farmers and to various Jewish populations. Just from a quick look through he's less SSA than modern Palestinians, yes? That would be pretty much as expected. He's also pretty close to both Saudi's and UAE and modern Syrians depending on the tool used. We really need a better fix through isotope analysis as to precisely where he originated. If he's actually Roman Era Syrian versus Idumean or Judean it makes a difference to the analysis. Also it's important to see if better resolution can be achieved for his yDna J2.

I was just discussing this theory on another post that Julius Caesar noted the Belgae were present in Britain as well. Also other Belgic tribes of Atrebates and Menapii.
So the haplogroup of R1b U106 if present with these tribes it was re-established again with Anglo-Saxons. The presence of it in southern Scotland then could easily be attributed also with early Belgic tribes. I wonder how far they spread, did they make it to Ireland? Very possible

This thread has been viewed 55288 times.

Back