Modelling Admixture with D-stats

Comparing Bronze age Jordan to Modern SW Asia/N Africa

This model works well for SW Asia/North Africa.

Highlights.

>Extra load of ancient Iranian admixture in SW Asia and Egypt and Ashkenazi Jews(meaning admixture is at least 2,000 years old).

>Extra African admixture in most of SW Asia and a big load in North Africa.

>WHG admixture in Morocco. Could recently be from Spain or represent older admixture from Spain.

>Similar amount of ancient Iranian admixture in Morocco as in Bronze age Jordan. Moroccans ancestors mostly arrived sometime between 9000 BC and 3000 BC from Levant, mixed with Africans(Yoruba) and Europeans(WHG), and have been isolated since then?

Eastern_HGSatsurbliaLevant_NeolithicIran_ChalcolithicHungary_HGIndia_SouthNganasanYoruba
Jordan_EBA2.9062.3534.750----------00.00756
Druze5.32.736.354.50.8----------0.40.014096
BedouinB2.85043.2548.50----------5.40.01321
Egyptian2.55041.443.31.05----------11.70.014943
Lebanese_Christian2.7035.2558.653.4----------00.015177
Lebanese_Muslim5.40.53259.550.85----------1.70.013334
Moroccan2.21.149.2521.65.3----------20.550.014024

So you can see modern SW Asia has significantly more ancient Iran-related admixture. Ashkenazi Jews show the same extra amount of Iran-related admixture. Since their ancestors left the Levant some 2,000 years ago, it means this admixture can't be too recent. When Iran_Chl is replaced by Iran_Neo, modern and Bronze age SW Asia/North Africa still prefer ancient Iran(Iran_Neo) over ancient Caucasus(Satsurblia) which is interesting. It could mean admixture came directly from Iran.

Iran_Chl had lots of Levant_N/Anatolia_N-related and CHG-related admixture. It's very differnt from Iran_Neo. So SW Asia/North Africa is definitely mostly descended of Levant_N/Anatolia_N-like people.

Levant_N had some African admixture, but there's definitely more African admixture in modern SW Asia/North Africa. More African admixture than was in the Bronze age individual from Jordan. It looks like there might also be Steppe/Eastern_HG admixture.

The last results I posted for Ashkenazi Jews were of the form (Chimp, Row)(Mbuti, Colmn) this is of (Chimp, Colmn)(Mbuti, Row) and as far as I've seen the later creates better fits than the former.

@davef,

This is the best fit I've had for Ashkenazi Jew. It might be realistic. First admixture in the Balkans, then immigration to Eastern Europe and admixture there.

BTW, Jordan_EBA is very similar to modern SW Asians but not the same. SW Asians have extra African ancestry and many have an extra load of Iran_Neo-like ancestry. Ashkenazi_Jews and Druze are ones with this extra load of Iran_Neo.

I doubt Jordan_EBA is a good reference for ancient Jews. IMO, Modern Levanties are, like Druze, Palestinans, Samartians, etc. The Jews tell of migration in the Bible. They arrived in Israel only by the Late Bronze age about 1,500 years after Mr. Jordan_EBA was born. Who knows what type of admixture they picked up along the way and who knows what admixture arrived in the Levant in general after Jordan_EBA.

distance=0.005375"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Druze" 50.05
"Greek" 34.5
"Belarusian" 11.05
"Jordan_EBA" 4.4
"Satsurblia" 0
"Iran_Neolithic" 0

I agree, and that looks pretty good. Have you tried it with Samaritans instead of Druze?

This model works well for SW Asia/North Africa.

Highlights.

>Extra load of ancient Iranian admixture in SW Asia and Egypt and Ashkenazi Jews(meaning admixture is at least 2,000 years old).

>Extra African admixture in most of SW Asia and a big load in North Africa.

This confirms what we know from history and from prior analyses. There's been a steady flow of African admixture moving north. The Arab slave trade after the Muslim invasions is often the explanation given, and I think that's part of it, with most of it coming from women slaves. However, I think there's always been some gene flow, and a good chunk of it came with the movement of tribes from Arabia, before, and especially after, Islam. They themselves mostly got it from women as well. It shows mostly in the mtDna, not the yDna.

WHG admixture in Morocco. Could recently be from Spain or represent older admixture from Spain.

Mostly older, in my opinion.

>Similar amount of ancient Iranian admixture in Morocco as in Bronze age Jordan. Moroccans ancestors mostly arrived sometime between 9000 BC and 3000 BC from Levant, mixed with Africans(Yoruba) and Europeans(WHG), and have been isolated since then?

Not totally isolated, but not enough admixture to really change the autosomal signature.

I agree, and that looks pretty good. Have you tried it with Samaritans instead of Druze?

I can't because Samartians aren't included in any D-stat spreadsheet I know of. The below models work. The extra African admixture in Palestinian and Lebanses_Muslim inflate Greek admixture. The model works but I'm pretty sure most of that African admixture came in the Middle Ages.

This one is basically a repeat of the Druze+Greek+BelaRussian one. Druze is broken up into Jordan_EBA and Iran_Chl.

distance=0.010013"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Greek" 42.3
"Jordan_EBA" 34.05
"Iran_Chalcolithic" 13.1
"Belarusian" 10.55

These models also work.
distance=0.00537"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Greek" 74.45
"Palestinian" 25.55
"Belarusian" 0

distance=0.004519"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Greek" 60.15
"Lebanese_Muslim" 39.8
"Belarusian" 0.0

distance=0.005583"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Lebanese_Christian" 66.1
"Belarusian" 19.75
"Greek" 14.15

Anything under 0.02 is a good fit. So 0.005 is very very good. Southern Italy is a bit of an outlier but maybe the Balkans were like Southern Italy(minus NW African ancestry) before Slavic migrations.

Ashkenazi Jews get an equally good fit with South Italy.

distance=0.005037"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Italian_South" 51.1
"Druze" 34.95
"Belarusian" 13.95

Now assuming Ashkeanzi Jews came to Central/East Europe with no Southern European admixture. This fit works as well. It's not consistent with Y DNA. I haven't looked at Ashkenazi mtDNA though.

distance=0.007639"

Ashkenazi_Jew
"Druze" 68.9
"Belarusian" 31.1

The top set of stats are most consistent with the amount of IBD sharing for the Ashkenazim with Slavs. That's certainly the admixture profile that various researchers, including Jewish researchers have posited in the past, so how come there's no evidence of IBD sharing?

It's a puzzlement, to quote the King of Siam. :)

As for "Italian South", I've been saying forever that they're a highly drifted population. I see people are finally agreeing.

I've also been saying forever that it may very well turn out that they're the best proxy for what Greek populations were like in the Classical Era. Sicilians are a little different because of the influx of northern Italian and central Italian genes during the Middle Ages. I actually reconnected through 23andme with someone whose family went to Sicily from LaSpezia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombards_of_Sicily

This explains it much better, including the location of the towns:
https://books.google.com/books?id=5...D#v=onepage&q=Lombard towns of Sicily&f=false

Here is a map:
http://s2.postimg.org/ichtvypt5/vncxm1.gif

As for "Italian South", I've been saying forever that they're a highly drifted population. I see people are finally agreeing.

Do you have links to papers showing they're drifted?

This looks pretty good given everything we know:
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Druze" 50.05
"Greek" 34.5
"Belarusian" 11.05
"Jordan_EBA" 4.4
"Satsurblia" 0
"Iran_Neolithic" 0

Now we'll see what the ancient dna shows.

I think Jews may have picked up a little Egyptian, if not from ancient times, then from Alexandrian Jews, which might explain that Jordan EBA 4.4%, but that's sheer speculation.

It would be nice if someone could model them with Samaritans at some point.

Do you have links to papers showing they're drifted?

Not recent genetics papers, no, but Cavalli-Sforza maintained in all his writings about Italy that we're a very drifted population. It's not just true of the Sardinians. It's a function of geography, given that Italy is so mountainous.

However, it's also a function of politics. With the end of the Empire, Italy was torn into lots of little pieces which were ruled by different foreign countries and which had very little to do with one another. Intermarriage was only within the valley, or the mountain, or the political unit.
"Campanilismo" or attachment to one's own town bell is still important in Italy today, although less so than in the past.

That's part of why there is such a difference between north and south Italy. It's not just different migrations south of Rome versus north of Rome, although those are very important. It's that until the 1960s there was virtually no gene flow between the two areas. Almost all of my matches at 23andme are with people from Liguria, Emilia, Toscana and Piemonte. I don't have one "cousin" with southern Italian ancestry. I don't even have any from the Veneto. (Bizarrely, I have quite a few, although small, with people from Denmark, and some from the "Celtic" fringe in the British Isles.) Southern Italy, even more than Sicily, with its Lombard migrations, has been very isolated. The only attested gene flows in the last 1000 years, other than some short lived Muslim incursions and a well known resettlement, are from Albania, and some from the Byzantines, especially after the Muslim ascendancy. That's it, to my knowledge. Maybe if any of our Southern Italian members read this they can chime in, but that's my reading of the history. The only exception might be around Naples and Palermo, but as I already said, Sicily is a little different.

Oh, the Cavalli-Sforza book is called "Consanguinity, Inbreeding, and Genetic Drift in Italy". I've got a copy in my bookshelves. I think it's time I re-read it.

http://press.princeton.edu/titles/7800.html

Ok I trust that. Italy in Roman times might have been a differnt story though.

distance=0.004519"
Ashkenazi_Jew
"Greek" 60.15
"Lebanese_Muslim" 39.8

This horse is in the lead ^
(Iphone won't let me copy Belarussisn but its 0 in this case.)

I also have South Italian ancestry as well, though I don't know exactly from where but it's definitely not sicilian. With the stats posted above and that whole South Italians are like Ancient Greek thig Angela was harping about ; I wonder what size toga fits me :p.

And you know the big neolithic paper (genetic structure of worlds first farmers) that was just recently released a few weeks ago? South Italians are leagues away from anyone on the fst chart, then again how reliable is that measurement? I think they have the English as closer to Greeks in comparison to South Italians which blows my mind given that these two populations have such a history with each other.

I may be unaware of how fst can be misleading or misinterpreted. Is it a reliable measure of genetic closeness?

Back on Jews :). I have to say again they do look Northern European. Like I've said there's a historically large Ashekanzi Jewish community about a mile from my house. I've seen groups of them. Many have Light Brown or Blonde hair. I always see at least one with Red hair when there's a group. I had a Jewish teamate in Little League with bleach Blonde hair and everyone in his family had Blue eyes. Few or none have olive or Brown skin. Look at the few pictures on this thread there's always at least one Red beard in there.

Bosnians look much more exotic and are darker, and you'll never see one with Red hair. I do trust DNA test results but I'm not gonna buy garbage about them actually looking like Palestinains or Druze. They simply do not. I walked by a baseball field today where there were a bunch of Ashkenazi kids with some traditional clothing on playing. My Dad said "See they must have gone to Scandinavia or something and mixed with people there" and explained they're not "He said no they're Northern European right?". He can't believe. He thought his whole life they were converts from Northern Europe.

It doesn't make sense. Maybe Pigmentation does make a bigger difference than we think. Maybe Turkish would look white with paler features and Swedes would look Middle Eastern with darker ones.

Here is data on hair colours collected by pre-war anthropologists:

Land - % light hair (Jews / Gentiles) | % very dark hair (Jews / Gentiles):

Prussia - 11.23 / 39.75 | 43.34 / 14.05
Hesse - 11.17 / 31.53 | 41.50 / 13.22
Baden - 10.32 / 24.34 | 41.95 / 21.18
Bavaria - 10.38 / 20.36 | 39.45 21.10
Alsace-Lorraine - 13.51 / 18.44 | 34.59 / 25.21

Jews were statistically speaking much darker-haired than Gentiles.

Land - % of light hair for Jews (I couldn't find for Gentiles in these lands):

Silesia - 8.20
Pommern - 8.85
Brandenburg - 9.64
East & West Prussia - 11.61
Galicia - 13.97
Posen - 12.39
Congress Poland - 13.28
Bohemia - 8.29
Lower Austria - 8.69
Moravia - 9.86
Bukovina - 13.55

previous.gif
Data cited from "JewishEncyclopedia.com" website.

Henryk Szpidbaum (himself Jewish) in 1933 published data on pigmentation of Polish Jews:

Light hair - 13.28%
Light eyes - 20.59%

This is much lower than among Gentiles (68% to 72.4% light eyes, depending on source).

===============

According to Hans F. K. Günther, "Rassenkunde des jüdischen Volkes", published in 1930 (and cited by Henryk Szpidbaum in "Jews in Reborn Poland", 1933), already Ancient Hebrews had about 10% - 15% of light-haired individuals among them.

I'm not gonna buy garbage about them actually looking like Palestinains

Palestinians are 15-20 percent Sub-Saharan, if I recall correctly.

This is probably due to Muslim slave trade in the last 1400 years.

Here is data on hair colours collected by pre-war anthropologists:

Land - % light hair (Jews / Gentiles) | % very dark hair (Jews / Gentiles):

Prussia - 11.23 / 39.75 | 43.34 / 14.05
Hesse - 11.17 / 31.53 | 41.50 / 13.22
Baden - 10.32 / 24.34 | 41.95 / 21.18
Bavaria - 10.38 / 20.36 | 39.45 21.10
Alsace-Lorraine - 13.51 / 18.44 | 34.59 / 25.21

Jews were statistically speaking much darker-haired than Gentiles.

Land - % of light hair for Jews (I couldn't find for Gentiles in these lands):

Silesia - 8.20
Pommern - 8.85
Brandenburg - 9.64
East & West Prussia - 11.61
Galicia - 13.97
Posen - 12.39
Congress Poland - 13.28
Bohemia - 8.29
Lower Austria - 8.69
Moravia - 9.86
Bukovina - 13.55

previous.gif
Data cited from "JewishEncyclopedia.com" website.

Henryk Szpidbaum (himself Jewish) in 1933 published data on pigmentation of Polish Jews:

Light hair - 13.28%
Light eyes - 20.59%

This is much lower than among Gentiles (68% to 72.4% light eyes, depending on source).

===============

According to Hans F. K. Günther, "Rassenkunde des jüdischen Volkes", published in 1930 (and cited by Henryk Szpidbaum in "Jews in Reborn Poland", 1933), already Ancient Hebrews had about 10% - 15% of light-haired individuals among them.

Palestinians are 15-20 percent Sub-Saharan, if I recall correctly.

This is probably due to Muslim slave trade in the last 1400 years.

The differences seem to be a lot smaller in the Alsace Loraine region, last time I checked I think there was also a higher frequency of J2 in that region, has there been any thorough sampling of the area?

Doesn't matter, although it might be about the same given that South Italians/Sicilians and Greeks aren't all that different autosomally.

The key difference is the near absence of any North African affinity in Greeks (though it is higher in Iberia than in Sicily), and higher Steppe/Russian derived ancestry in Greece. Whether it is Indo-European from very ancient times, Middle Age Slavic, or something else entirely we will never know, just that such a difference exists.

I have said this for some time and you may not agree but I think southern Italians and Greeks are related in the sense that they descend, in close proportions, from the same waves of migration, but they are not directly descended from one another for the most part. Sicily was full of Lombard settlements but that still doesn't seem to have shifted them as north as most Greeks do, possibly because the admixture is concentrated in part of the population and didn't spread.

How exactly do d-stats attempt to guess your ancestry? It looks like something you'd see from an oracle where it sees you as a mixture of various ancestries and gives an fst value but it does it after it reads your k(?) components beforehand. Here with d-stats, I don't see any "k" components being read, it just compares a population with another, kind of like how you compared Ashkenazim with a population that is 75 percent levant 25 percent Belarus.

How exactly do d-stats attempt to guess your ancestry? It looks like something you'd see from an oracle where it sees you as a mixture of various ancestries and gives an fst value but it does it after it reads your k(?) components beforehand. Here with d-stats, I don't see any "k" components being read, it just compares a population with another, kind of like how you compared Ashkenazim with a population that is 75 percent levant 25 percent Belarus.

It is difficult to explain how D-stats make ancestry estimates but I'll try to. You gather a modern ethnic group's scores in a series of D-stats. Then you gather the scores of ancient DNA samples' in the same series of D-stats. Then you model the modern ethnic group's score in the series of D-stats as a mixture of the ancient populations' scores in those D-stats. After that I get ancestry scores and a fit score. The fit score tells me how well the ancient populations' D-stat results can explain a modern ethnic group's D-stat results. If I attempted to model Yoruba as a mixture of ancient Eurasians the fit score would be very bad.

His latest effort to try to segregate "Basal" from other West Eurasian components, I see. I'm sure it's as accurate as all his other efforts, which is to say not very accurate at all.

I thought some of his mania would dissipate now that we know there's no SSA in Basal, but I guess not. He has to try to get northern and eastern Europeans to be as "NON MIDDLE EAST" as possible, and this is his way. How very typical.

Unfortunately, all that effort means he made Bedouins 20% Villabruna.

It's pretty funny, if you think about it.

Meanwhile, for a lot of European countries, the number is quite close to Kurd's "Natufian" in Ancient Eurasia K6, which we know isn't all Basal. I'd stick to Kurd's analyses if I were you.

If we want to accurately know the amount of "Basal" in people, which in my opinion probably stayed in India after that first exit from Africa, we have to wait to get a sample.

Not a problem, in that case I'm guessing that Davidski over did it in "shrinking down Middle eastern Ancestry". None the less just curious, this mishap gives me a hypothesis. Kit Number F999915 belongs to La-Branda whom lived in 7,000 ybp Leon, Spain; Tardinoisian Culture territory. The Tardinoisian Culture should have had 100% Mesolithic Ancestry; since early farmers haven't even touched Leon,Spain yet 5,000 BC. I'm no professional scholar but could Davidski possibly use this Kit number as a guide to make Kit# F999915 0% Middle-eastern/EHG? :)
If the hypothesis is disproved, that's fine.

Kit Num: F999915
Threshold of components set to 1.000
Threshold of method set to 0.25%
Personal data has been read. 20 approximations mode.
Gedmatch.Com

Near East Neolithic K13 4-Ancestors Oracle

This program is based on 4-Ancestors Oracle Version 0.96 by Alexandr Burnashev.
Questions about results should be sent to him at: [email protected]
Original concept proposed by Sergey Kozlov.
Many thanks to Alexandr for helping us get this web version developed.

gedrosia K13 Oracle

Admix Results (sorted):

#PopulationPercent
1SHG_WHG74.08
2CHG_EEF16.38
3EHG5.32
4ANCESTRAL_INDIAN2.21
5SE_ASIAN1.01

Finished reading population data. 145 populations found.
13 components mode.

--------------------------------

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 WHG @ 21.293156
2 Bichon @ 31.232016
3 SHG @ 31.232016
4 Russian @ 66.540367
5 Finnish @ 66.798676
6 Lithuanian @ 66.839561
7 Estonian @ 67.239021
8 Ukrainian @ 67.388542
9 Scottish @ 67.515564
10 Czech @ 68.484451
11 Icelandic @ 68.693863
12 Hungarian @ 68.948326
13 French @ 69.145271
14 English @ 69.226822
15 Norwegian @ 69.496941
16 Europe_LNBA @ 70.088615
17 Croatian @ 70.377365
18 Romanian @ 71.478378
19 Bulgarian @ 72.062195
20 Greek @ 74.698303

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Bichon +50% Lithuanian @ 18.003122

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Bichon +25% Norwegian +25% WHG @ 4.412613

Using 4 populations approximation:
1 Finnish + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 2.690491
2 Russian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 2.691700
3 Bichon + Norwegian + WHG + WHG @ 2.843817
4 Norwegian + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 2.843817
5 Bichon + Estonian + WHG + WHG @ 2.893582
6 Estonian + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 2.893582
7 Bichon + Finnish + WHG + WHG @ 2.898687
8 Finnish + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 2.898687
9 Estonian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.003400
10 Bichon + Icelandic + WHG + WHG @ 3.023073
11 Icelandic + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.023073
12 Ukrainian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.038367
13 Bichon + Russian + WHG + WHG @ 3.041677
14 Russian + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.041677
15 Bichon + Ukrainian + WHG + WHG @ 3.081157
16 SHG + Ukrainian + WHG + WHG @ 3.081157
17 Bichon + Lithuanian + WHG + WHG @ 3.133910
18 Lithuanian + SHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.133910
19 Lithuanian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.259528
20 Norwegian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.281482

Done.

Elapsed time 0.3247 seconds.

Kit Num: F999915
Threshold of components set to 1.000
Threshold of method set to 0.25%
Personal data has been read. 20 approximations mode.
Gedmatch.Com

Ancient Eurasia K6 4-Ancestors Oracle

This program is based on 4-Ancestors Oracle Version 0.96 by Alexandr Burnashev.
Questions about results should be sent to him at: [email protected]
Original concept proposed by Sergey Kozlov.
Many thanks to Alexandr for helping us get this web version developed.

Admix Results (sorted):

#PopulationPercent
1West_European_Hunter_Gartherer85.74
2Natufian4.27
3Ancestral_North_Eurasian3.12
4East_Asian2.96
5Sub_Saharan2.02
6Ancestral_South_Eurasian1.88

Finished reading population data. 136 populations found.
6 components mode.

--------------------------------

Least-squares method.

Using 1 population approximation:
1 Motala12 @ 9.882326
2 SHG @ 10.605214
3 Hungarian_KO1 @ 15.736077
4 WHG @ 15.736077
5 Lithuanian @ 46.346512
6 Estonian @ 47.625393
7 Finnish @ 48.364658
8 Europe_LNBA @ 49.643818
9 Icelandic @ 50.001297
10 Russian @ 50.851906
11 Basque @ 52.164665
12 Norwegian @ 52.281746
13 Scottish @ 52.337776
14 Ukrainian @ 53.206970
15 English @ 53.240925
16 Czech @ 53.547977
17 Steppe_MLBA @ 54.161293
18 GoyetQ116 @ 54.940918
19 French @ 55.521206
20 Hungarian @ 55.755707

Using 2 populations approximation:
1 50% Hungarian_KO1 +50% SHG @ 9.211499

Using 3 populations approximation:
1 50% Hungarian_KO1 +25% Hungarian_KO1 +25% Russian @ 4.256886

Using 4 populations approximation:
1 GoyetQ116 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 @ 3.037416
2 GoyetQ116 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG @ 3.037416
3 GoyetQ116 + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG + WHG @ 3.037416
4 GoyetQ116 + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 3.037416
5 Finnish + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 @ 4.071750
6 Finnish + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG @ 4.071750
7 Finnish + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG + WHG @ 4.071750
8 Finnish + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 4.071750
9 Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Russian @ 4.256886
10 Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Russian + WHG @ 4.256886
11 Hungarian_KO1 + Russian + WHG + WHG @ 4.256886
12 Russian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 4.256886
13 Estonian + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 @ 5.101576
14 Estonian + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG @ 5.101576
15 Estonian + Hungarian_KO1 + WHG + WHG @ 5.101576
16 Estonian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 5.101576
17 Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Lithuanian @ 5.416894
18 Hungarian_KO1 + Hungarian_KO1 + Lithuanian + WHG @ 5.416894
19 Hungarian_KO1 + Lithuanian + WHG + WHG @ 5.416894
20 Lithuanian + WHG + WHG + WHG @ 5.416894

Done.

Elapsed time 0.3358 seconds.​

This thread has been viewed 43938 times.

Back