Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Donald Trump

Votes: 24 45.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Excellent, Jovialis. Very informative.

Missing some: what if only white people voted; what if only white people and Latinos voted.

Indeed, non-Hispanic white college educated could actually be mostly Republican.

Hispanic-Whites, like many Cubans, would probably be mostly Republican as well. Especially the older generations that escaped Communism in Cuba. While mostly mestizo and/or afro Hispanics would probably be more Democrat.

We will probably not know who the president will be tonight.

I do think it is remarkable that 70% of 2016's ballot has already been cast via mail-in voting. I myself voted early, and dropped it off in a ballot box.

Honestly, I think many people are probably going to fill out the form wrong, thus invalidating their vote. Frankly, I think there are too many steps for people of average intelligence.

This election will most likely be settled in court.

One point which I think factors into all this is that conservative leaning Americans in states like New York or California know they'll be drowned out by the Black, Hispanic, and "Progressive White" vote and don't even bother voting, so sometimes even the national vote isn't truly reflective of national sentiment. So, that builds Biden's lead nationally above perhaps what it really is.

Anecdotally, it looks to me as if people are afraid that there is no more free speech in this country; in this bluest of blue states, people whom I know were Trump supporters went totally quiet in the last few months. So, would they have been likely to even respond to polling calls, much less answer them truthfully? I don't know.

So, I don't think the national polls can be totally wrong: Biden will probably get the national vote by at least 3 percent, as did Hillary. However, that isn't the system our Founders laid out. To pay tribute to a well known phrase: it's all about the Electoral College, stupid.

What will happen in the swing states I don't think anyone knows, and I don't think it will be known tonight. So, I'll go to bed early. :)

Ed. Another interesting and, for me, hopeful fact is that the gap between men and women is narrowing, but also Trump is gaining ground among Blacks and Hispanics. The less division the better.

I do think it is remarkable that 70% of 2016's ballot has already been cast via mail-in voting. I myself voted early, and dropped it off in a ballot box.

Honestly, I think many people are probably going to fill out the form wrong, thus invalidating their vote. Frankly, I think there are too many steps for people of average intelligence.

From European perspective the gap is widened the last four years. I hope this gap will not widen further.

A vote settled in court.....my goodness....think about that...

But anyhow better in court than on the streets. Al Gore withdraw his claim for presidency 20 years ago in such situation, we will see what is in the end the higher interest for the one who is going the loose: the ego or the sake of (your) country? We will see...

Last edited:
Well USAers vote for their president,
but also for the Planet-man
Hope their desicion be wise, and the correct one wins.

We've already had one election settled in the courts, although in the end it didn't matter. After the Bush v Gore election The New York Times led aconsortium of news organizations and spent a bloody fortune going over every single ballot cast in Florida (which settled the win in the Electoral College) and George W. Bush won it by a couple of hundred votes.

He won even the four Democratic counties the Democrats had requested be recounted.

The only way Gore could have won is if all the rejected ballots (by people who couldn't follow directions, i.e. no signature, etc.) had been given to Gore.

At the time I thought The New York Times project would further divide the country, but in the end it was a good thing.

Counting every vote is imperative, if, that is, it's a valid vote, i.e. it's a registered voter, signed, the rules were followed.

I'm actually one of those people who think mail in voting could work against Democrats. You have to be able to read and understand the directions. If you moved you have re-register in your new location etc. etc. I see how so many people can't get their insurance coverage correct or follow directions for getting a driver's license, and I've always believed in person voting is the way to go. I don't believe in digital voting either. Too easy to hack.

New York State used to have these big, clunky, metal machines. You showed up with your ID, showed it, signed your name next to the signature you initially posted when you first voted there, or they compared it to your ID signature, and you went in and just pushed levers. No way to get at the vote or change it. At the end of the time, the vote totals were engraved there. They should bring them back. New is not always better.

lever-voting-ny.jpg

Hmm, I think Trump is going to win.

All 'deplorables' Jovialis?

Hmm, I think Trump is going to win.

May be and may be not. The votes are still being counted isn't?

It's like playing soccer, you can't say I'm the winner when you only played the first half of the game!

Last edited:
""conservative leaning Americans in states like New York or California know they'll be drowned out by the Black, Hispanic, and "Progressive White" vote and don't even bother voting, so sometimes even the national vote isn't truly reflective of national sentiment."" Of course..... that is the whole idea with open borders for North America & Europe.

May be and may be not. The votes are still being counted isn't?
It's like playing soccer, you can't say I'm the winner when you only played the first half of the game!
Trump needs to win Pennsylvania, Michigan, Georgia, and North Carolina. Right now the results are leaning to that. Otherwise Biden will win. This turned out to be a real nail biter. Georgia and North Carolina will most likely go for Trump, but it will be tight in the others.

I have a feeling that Trump is going to win, as unbelievable as it seems for non Americans. I suppose that it is because he embodies the "American" character (at least of the red states). It reminded me of this passage of How I Met Your Mother.

I have a feeling that Trump is going to win, as unbelievable as it seems for non Americans. I suppose that it is because he embodies the "American" character (at least of the red states). It reminded me of this passage of How I Met Your Mother.

You could be right Maciamo. Nevertheless over the whole US the mail votes and the votes of urban centers are coming in now (and in the coming period). That could cause a shift. If it will be enough for Biden is the big question.
But you could also say the early intervention of Trump (hold on the counting now) is may be a straw....

Status
Not open for further replies.

This thread has been viewed 701250 times.

Back