Interactive Google Map of Roman inscriptions

Angela

Elite member
Reaction score
Ethnic group
Italian
This is the site for a very cool interactive map of Roman inscriptions from locations all around Europe, the Near East and North Africa. There are tens of thousands of them so the work that went into this is incredible.
http://db.edcs.eu/epigr/epimap.html

You can zoom in on places of interest, like your ancestral areas, and see what people or events are commemorated.

My Emilian area has only one, and my Lunigiana one about three, but down on the coast near the old Roman City of Luni, there are dozens, and dozens.

This is one from La Spezia:

"[C]alid[io] / Eutyche[ti] / homini dulcis[simo] / qui vixit cum c[oniuge] / sua a[n]n(os) XXI d(ies) [3] Stati[a] Euangelis ux[or] / bene merenti in [p]ace"

Anyone remember their Latin more than I do? Is it to commemorate a sweet man who was a benefactor to the area? Any idea why they use the word Euangelis?

Cool indeed. There are some from Malta too. Euangelis is Gospel, it can also be a first name.

My Emilian area has only one, and my Lunigiana one about three, but down on the coast near the old Roman City of Luni, there are dozens, and dozens.

This is one from La Spezia:

"[C]alid[io] / Eutyche[ti] / homini dulcis[simo] / qui vixit cum c[oniuge] / sua a[n]n(os) XXI d(ies) [3] Stati[a] Euangelis ux[or] / bene merenti in [p]ace"

Anyone remember their Latin more than I do? Is it to commemorate a sweet man who was a benefactor to the area? Any idea why they use the word Euangelis?

I think it's about a sweet man (Calidius) who lived with his wife (Statia) for 21 years. (?)

Eutycheti and Euangelis might have been patronymics in genitive

"Calidio Eutycheti homini dulcissimo" = To Calidius of Eutychetus a very sweet man
"qui vixit cum coniunge sua" = who lived with his spouse
"annos XXI dies 3" = for 21 years and 3 days (?)

"Statia Euangelis uxor" = (his) wife Statia of Euangelus

"bene merenti" = https://books.google.gr/books?id=stdUHLWDNDQC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq="bene+merens"
"in pace" = in peace

Something like that but I'm not sure since my knowledge is minimal.

Last edited:
Thanks there is many of them in Moesia superior among most interesting and nearby i found;
Dei Zbelsurdi SIL / Catulus Munatianus G pro salute parentum et / fratrum
God Zbelsurdi SIL / young Munatianus G for the safety of their parents and / or brothers if google translate well.
Zbelsurdos was Thracian god.
$IMS_06_00214.jpg

Also my favorite deity "Thracian horseman"

Deo Tatoni Patrio Lucius Petilius Aurelia/nus miles legionis VII Claudiae / votum libens posuit
$CCET-05_00025.jpg

Last edited:
I think it's about a sweet man (Calidius) who lived with his wife (Statia) for 21 years. (?)

Eutycheti and Euangelis might have been patronymics in genitive

"Calidio Eutycheti homini dulcissimo" = To Calidius of Eutychetus a very sweet man
"qui vixit cum coniunge sua" = who lived with his spouse
"annos XXI dies 3" = for 21 years and 3 days (?)

"Statia Euangelis uxor" = (his) wife Statia of Euangelus

"bene merenti" = https://books.google.gr/books?id=stdUHLWDNDQC&pg=PA182&lpg=PA182&dq="bene+merens"
"in pace" = in peace

Something like that but I'm not sure since my knowledge is minimal.

Thank-you. I thought it was something like that, but I wanted another opinion.

They're all interesting, but my favorites are the more personal ones.

I also found an inscription from barely a few kilometers of my home, for example, that said something to the effect of here lies a seventy-six year old man, a good father. This commemorative stone is raised at the command of his children.

It's good to know that then as now there were sweet, loving, devoted husbands and caring fathers among us who were honored and esteemed by those around them.

This thread has been viewed 4105 times.

Back