Word for Hay in most Romance and South Slavic languages - just for fun

Probably not. Slavic "kon" (=horse) comes from Indoeuropean *kem- (="hornless"). Ancient greek "koina" (=cattle food) comes from Indoeuropean *koyno like the slavic *seno (=hay) or from the greek word koinos (pl. koina) (=common, public, general) which comes from Indoeuropean *kom (=with).
This is right kon (horse) could have come from reconstructed PIE *kem-hornless,if so it will be from earlier *komon or komnь,see grass komonica,komunika etc above and explanation,there is words like komolij,kamol etc for hornless,this word wasn't satemized.I wonder the English "hummel"- hornless? from same reconstructed PIE kem.

This is right kon (horse) could have come from reconstructed PIE *kem-hornless,if so it will be from earlier *komon or komnь,see grass komonica,komunika etc above and explanation,there is words like komolij,kamol etc for hornless,this word wasn't satemized.I wonder the English "hummel"- hornless? from same reconstructed PIE kem.
I don't think anyone would call a horse "hornless". Can we get any example of modern people calling any animal "less of something"? I think people are more creative than that.

I don't think anyone would call a horse "hornless". Can we get any example of modern people calling any animal "less of something"? I think people are more creative than that.
Slavic krava (cow) had it's name because of the "horns",Latin cervus(deer) because of the "horns",Celtic karwos(deer,stag) Greek kerawos(horned),Greek keras(horn),Latin cornu(horn) Slavic srna(deer) but satemized compare Sanskrit srnga(horn) and so on.. all from common IE root denoting horns or top,head.
For example Lithunian arklys(horse) had a sence "to plough".
You also have other Slavic words denoting horse or a stallion.
For "without horns" compare ancient Greek kemas(young deer) Old Prussian camstian ‎(“sheep”) and camnet ‎(“horse”),Sanskrit sama(hornless),if reconstructed Slavic will be "komnь" or "komon" then it developed into "kon" i personally see nothing weird in it,major difference in the words above are suffixes cause different languages,root is the same.

In the sense with horns or without horns people needed to distinguish them,that's creativity to me,what word would you expect?

Last edited:
I found out that there is common word for "straw" in Greek,Slavic and Latin.
Greek- καλάμι ‎(kalámi) also kalamos-reed
Slavic- slama
Latin- culmus

Probably also middle English "halm"
In Slavic due to Satem change k become s
Reconstructed as PIE- *ḱolh₂mos.

Any other languages cognates?

breton 'dialectal forms) 'kolo', 'koloñ' << *'kolom' (+ other root: 'plous') >> 'koloeg', 'koulaneg', 'kolvaneg', kolveg': "heap of straw" + 'kalav(r)' : "part of straw left on place" -
in breton 'ñ' is not /ny/ BUT is from ancient '-m' (sometimes more conservative written 'ñv') and it NASALIZE the precedent vowell as does gaelic 'mh' (welsh and cornic have lost this nasality)
français oïl 'chaume' << 'chalme' + dér. 'chalumeau' >< 'calumet' (fr- occitan or archaïsm?): "kind of vegetal fine tube or pipe"

Slavic krava (cow) had it's name because of the "horns",Latin cervus(deer) because of the "horns",Celtic karwos(deer,stag) Greek kerawos(horned),Greek keras(horn),Latin cornu(horn) Slavic srna(deer) but satemized compare Sanskrit srnga(horn) and so on.. all from common IE root denoting horns or top,head.

For "without horns" compare ancient Greek kemas(young deer) Old Prussian camstian ‎(“sheep”) and camnet ‎(“horse”),Sanskrit sama(hornless),if reconstructed Slavic will be "komnь" or "komon" then it developed into "kon" i personally see nothing weird in it,major difference in the words above are suffixes cause different languages,root is the same.

In the sense with horns or without horns people needed to distinguish them,that's creativity to me,what word would you expect?

a possible problem is the presence of slavic and sanskrit satemized forms in 'srna', 'srnga' in front of centum 'krava'; a possibility would be, perhaps, the absence since a PIE of a vowell between *K and *R in the root, but I'm sceptic with this non-satermization. Or a later loanword from where?
a bit sceptic too with *koM- and *koN

I have no problem with names which include a specific trait of animal. I have problem with names which emphasise lack of a trait. They must be very rare or nonexistent.

This thread has been viewed 15965 times.

Back