Hay in :
French: foins
Italian: fieno
Romanian: fân
Spanish: heno
Bulgarian : seno
Serbian: seno
Croatian: sijeno
(Macedonian and Bosnian are having forms either same with Croatian either same with Serbian/Bulgarian).
The resemblance between Italian fieno - Croatian sijeno and Spanish with Bulgarian/Serbian is quite nice.

In greek it is σανο (/san'o/). It's a loan from South Slavic languages though. In Proto-Slavic it was *seno. The latin word was faenum or fenum. Latin initial /f/ became /h/ in Spanish. So, the similarities are coincidental, apart from the greek word which has slavic origins.

The Greek word is αχνη and to modern Greek αχυρον (Ahne Achne )

In greek it is σανο (/san'o/). It's a loan from South Slavic languages though. In Proto-Slavic it was *seno. The latin word was faenum or fenum. Latin initial /f/ became /h/ in Spanish. So, the similarities are coincidental, apart from the greek word which has slavic origins.
It is also West Slavic, Polish "Siano".

I guess is from proto-IE,in all these languages ?

PIE?
I doubt
S- in slavic could be an ancient *S- but also an ancient *K-
H- in germanoc is surely an ancient K- as in slavic (some specific links between germanic

I was cut off, sorry
in gaelic celtic, féar, in brittonic celtic (welsh) gwair for "hay", both seem supposing a *W- ancient form

Taranis could say more, I suppose?

Latvian - siens.

[h=3]Etymology[edit][/h]From Proto-Balto-Slavic *šainan, *šeinan, from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoinom (from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoi-no ‎(“hay”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱei- ‎(“color, usually gray”)). Cognates include Lithuanian šiẽnas ‎(“hay”) (regionally siẽnas), Old Church Slavonicсѣно ‎(sěno, “hay”) (Russian сено ‎(séno), Ukrainian сіно ‎(síno), Bulgarian сено ‎(senó), Czech seno, Polish siano), and possiblyAncient Greek κοινά ‎(koiná, “cattle food”).[1]

Latvian - siens.

Etymology[edit]

From Proto-Balto-Slavic *šainan, *šeinan, from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoinom (from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoi-no ‎(“hay”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱei- ‎(“color, usually gray”)). Cognates include Lithuanian šiẽnas ‎(“hay”) (regionally siẽnas), Old Church Slavonicсѣно ‎(sěno, “hay”) (Russian сено ‎(séno), Ukrainian сіно ‎(síno), Bulgarian сено ‎(senó), Czech seno, Polish siano), and possiblyAncient Greek κοινά ‎(koiná, “cattle food”).[1]
I wonder if there is a connection between "koino" with slavic "koń" (horse)? Koń eats koino.

I looked this up. hay (n.) "grass mown," Old English heg (Anglian), hieg, hig (West Saxon) "grass cut or mown for fodder," from Proto-Germanic *haujam (cognates: Old Norse hey, Old Frisian ha, Middle Dutch hoy, German Heu, Gothic hawi "hay"), literally "that which is cut," or "that which can be mowed," from PIE *kau- "to hew, strike" (cognates: Old English heawan "to cut;" see hew). hew (v.) Old English heawan "to chop, hack, gash, strike with a cutting weapon or tool" (class VII strong verb; past tense heow, past participle heawen), earliergeheawan, from Proto-Germanic *hawwan (cognates: Old Norse hoggva, Old Frisian hawa, Old Saxon hauwan, Middle Dutch hauwen, Dutch houwen, Old High German houwan, German hauen "to cut, strike, hew"), from PIE *kau- "to hew, strike," a root more widely developed in Slavic (cognates: Old Church Slavonic kovo, Lithuanian kauti "to strike, beat, fight;" Polish kúc "to forge," Russian kovat' "to strike, hammer, forge;" Latin cudere "to strike, beat;" Middle Irish cuad "beat, fight"). fennel (n.) Old English fenol, finul, finol "fennel," perhaps via (or influenced by) Old French fenoil (13c.) or directly from Vulgar Latin *fenuculum, from Latinfeniculum/faeniculum, diminutive of fenum/faenum "hay," probably literally "produce" (see fecund). Apparently so called from its hay-like appearance and sweet odor. a 16c. Latinizing revision of the spelling of Middle English fecond (early 15c.), from Middle French fecond (Old French fecont "fruitful"), from Latinfecundus "fruitful, fertile, productive; rich, abundant," from *fe-kwondo-, suffixed form (adjectival) of Latin root *fe-, corresponding to PIE *dhe(i)- "to suck, suckle," also "produce, yield."
Cognates include: Sanskrit dhayati "sucks," dhayah "nourishing;" Greek thele "mother's breast, nipple," thelys "female, fruitful;" Old Church Slavonic dojiti"to suckle," dojilica "nurse," deti "child;" Lithuanian dele "leech;" Old Prussian dadan "milk;" Gothic daddjan "to suckle;" Old Swedish dia "suckle;" Old High German tila "female breast;" Old Irish denaim "I suck," dinu "lamb."

Also from the same Latin root come felare "to suck;" femina "woman" (*fe-mna-, literally "she who suckles"); felix "happy, auspicious, fruitful;" fetus"offspring, pregnancy;" fenum "hay" (probably literally "produce"); and probably filia/filius "daughter/son," assimilated from *felios, originally "a suckling."

Latvian - siens.

Etymology[edit]

From Proto-Balto-Slavic *šainan, *šeinan, from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoinom (from Proto-Indo-European *ḱoi-no ‎(“hay”), from Proto-Indo-European *ḱei- ‎(“color, usually gray”)). Cognates include Lithuanian šiẽnas ‎(“hay”) (regionally siẽnas), Old Church Slavonicсѣно ‎(sěno, “hay”) (Russian сено ‎(séno), Ukrainian сіно ‎(síno), Bulgarian сено ‎(senó), Czech seno, Polish siano), and possiblyAncient Greek κοινά ‎(koiná, “cattle food”).[1]

κοινον means common, κενον means empty,
and this is κωνος

romania-643504_960_720.jpg

the formation of gathering grass to dry it is κωνος (conical form)

anyway
centuries before Hesychius we see
αχνη is the light think, the shell outside grain,
991025.jpeg

that is αχνισμα modern αλωνισμα for it makes an aloe (αλωνι αλεα etc) around where the work is done

238538-lihnisma.gif

here we can see the κωνος at middle, and how they split/ separate the αχνη from the grain

Αχυρον the straw,

images

and χορτος and χλοη

χλοη chloe is the green grass that we see at fields,
χορτος is what can be eaten from χλοη, either green either dry,
χορτος has the meaning of eatable, virb χορταινω means I have eat enough, compare κορεσμος,

χορτος can be many thinks like
oat straw
μηδικη alfalfa
ζεα
wild crain a strong grass with few enemies that can live everywhere, but with almost no crain,
etc

Last edited:
I wonder if there is a connection between "koino" with slavic "koń" (horse)? Koń eats koino.

Probably not. Slavic "kon" (=horse) comes from Indoeuropean *kem- (="hornless"). Ancient greek "koina" (=cattle food) comes from Indoeuropean *koyno like the slavic *seno (=hay) or from the greek word koinos (pl. koina) (=common, public, general) which comes from Indoeuropean *kom (=with).

Probably not. Slavic "kon" (=horse) comes from Indoeuropean *kem- (="hornless"). Ancient greek "koina" (=cattle food) comes from Indoeuropean *koyno like the slavic *seno (=hay) or from the greek word koinos (pl. koina) (=common, public, general) which comes from Indoeuropean *kom (=with).

???
PIE *kem >> slavic konj? I would be expecting a word beginning with S- here... some etymologists say 'konj' came from a turkic word; who knows?
thank you Avistro and others who made the strive o searching deeply enough.
fe-cund and faen- roots of latin are of an other PIE root but could, maybe, explain the celtic words 'féar', 'gwair'?

Oups! Gulp!
I wrote nonsense; celtic W- could not come from a PIE *Dh- at first sight; I contradicted myself, pushed by my running up. Sorry.

Sanë in Albanian, is it a loanword from Southern Slavic languages?
Khot in Armenian vs Ka in Kurdish

Sicilian = fenu

I found out that there is common word for "straw" in Greek,Slavic and Latin.
Greek- καλάμι ‎(kalámi) also kalamos-reed
Slavic- slama
Latin- culmus

Probably also middle English "halm"
In Slavic due to Satem change k become s
Reconstructed as PIE- *ḱolh₂mos.

Any other languages cognates?

That probably is not the case,they try to reconstruct Slavic kon (horse) from komon,word found for the plant Melilotus officinalis and for various grass plants,depends to region or dialect.Also komonica in some dialects is used for mare that can or can't give birth.
Also old Prussian "camnet" for horse,similar words are found in Turkic languages with different meanings for horse or mare.

While Slavic kobila (mare) has cognate in Latin caballus,also recorded in ancient Greek for a working horse,then the very word cavalry,it is found in Persian,Turkic with different meaning.
The plants with names komon,komonica,komuniga etc and it's connection to kon (horse) if you understand Bulgarian cause is too much to translate it.

Етимология
диал. комонига, Праслав. *komonika, *komonica „тревисто растение“ (сърбохърв. комоника, словен. komonika, слов. komonica „комунига“, komaňica „детелина“, г.-луж. komonica, рус. диал. комоника „общо название на горски плодове“, укр. команиця „детелина“) е еднакво по произход с *komonica „кобила“ (ст.-бълг. комоница „породиста кобила“ (G. Hamart.), пол. komonica „безплодна кобила“, рус. комоница, команица „безплодна крава или кобила“, „сорт ягода“, укр. комонниця „безплодна кобила“) и се явява производна на *komonь „кон“ (ст.-бълг. комонь equus, caballus, чеш. komoň, ст.-рус. комонь (СПИ), укр. комонь). Срв. ст.-прус. саmnеt „кон“ (може би от слав.?)тюрк. форми (туркм. qunan, узб. ɣonan, кирг., каз. qunan, тур. диал. konan, gunan, kinan „тригодишно жребче, кобилка“), монг. ɣuna(n) „тригодишен (за кон, вол или тигър)“.

Last edited:
I found that out that there is common word for "straw" in Greek,Slavic and Latin.
Greek- καλάμι ‎(kalámi) also kalamos-reed
Slavic- slama
Latin- culmus

Probably also middle English "halm"
In Slavic due to Satem change k become s
Reconstructed as PIE- *ḱolh₂mos.

Any other languages cognates?

Dutch, German, Danish, & Swedish halm,
Old English halm,
Anglo-Saxon healm,
Icelandic halmur,
Old Norse halmr,
Proto-Germanic *halmaz (supposedly)

??

This thread has been viewed 15944 times.

Back